Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Android Box 13:20 - Feb 26 with 4734 viewsSwanzay

My neighbours are looking to purchase an android box to utilise kodi, do any of you have any recommendations?

Nothing to expensive under £70 and fairly easy to use as they are in their 80s. Generally all round good performer, with good RAM and HD capability.

Thanks in advance.
Android Box on 13:28 - Feb 26 with 3543 viewsSwanjaxs

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Fire-Tv-With-4K-Ultra-HD-And-Alexa-Voice-Remote-Streami

👍

You might think I've forgotten, but one day, when you least expect it, my time will come.
Poll: Celtic and Rangers should be fast tracked into the Championship ASAP

Android Box on 13:58 - Feb 26 with 3499 viewsSPboy

Android Box on 13:28 - Feb 26 by Swanjaxs

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Fire-Tv-With-4K-Ultra-HD-And-Alexa-Voice-Remote-Streami

👍

Is the FireTV box much quicker than a Firestick then ? At twice the price what does it do better than a Firestick ?
Android Box on 14:02 - Feb 26 with 3491 viewsNeath_Jack

https://www.entertainmentbox.com/product-category/android-kodi-tv-box-shop-uk-us

My T8 version that they have on there is coming up to 3 year old now i think, still works as good as the day i got it. The company are brilliant to deal with as well, Twitter support etc. Comes with the latest Kodi already installed.

I want a mate like Flashberryjacks, who wears a Barnsley jersey with "Swans are my second team" on the back.
Poll: Would you support military action against Syria on what we know so far?

Android Box on 14:30 - Feb 26 with 3463 viewsSwanjaxs

Android Box on 13:58 - Feb 26 by SPboy

Is the FireTV box much quicker than a Firestick then ? At twice the price what does it do better than a Firestick ?

https://www.tomsguide.com/us/fire-tv-stick-differences,news-19962.html

You might think I've forgotten, but one day, when you least expect it, my time will come.
Poll: Celtic and Rangers should be fast tracked into the Championship ASAP

Android Box on 15:40 - Feb 26 with 3417 viewsSPboy

Android Box on 14:30 - Feb 26 by Swanjaxs

https://www.tomsguide.com/us/fire-tv-stick-differences,news-19962.html

Interesting read that, cheers. Already using Firesticks but my android box doesn’t support latest Kodi versions so I have been using workarounds. Was thinking of upgrading my TV for new one with built in Android capability. I wasn’t sure whether I should invest in a new Android box too. It seems for 4K and for future proofing it may be the way to go - i.e. box and built in iptv Android app in tv with download capability
Android Box on 15:44 - Feb 26 with 3414 viewsWxmJax

Not meaning to be rude but a Kodi box might not be for them at that age. Bought one for the father in law but it hasn't worked out well. If the stream goes down or freezes or you have to refresh then it's just a waste of time and money as they can't get there head around it. If you have some type of box see if they can use that first before spending any money.
If all goes well I find the Amazon firestick to be fine, cheaper as well. They'll also need to have a broadband account, many older people just have a landline.

Poll: England, General Election: How are you going to vote ?

Android Box on 15:52 - Feb 26 with 3404 viewsNeath_Jack

Android Box on 15:40 - Feb 26 by SPboy

Interesting read that, cheers. Already using Firesticks but my android box doesn’t support latest Kodi versions so I have been using workarounds. Was thinking of upgrading my TV for new one with built in Android capability. I wasn’t sure whether I should invest in a new Android box too. It seems for 4K and for future proofing it may be the way to go - i.e. box and built in iptv Android app in tv with download capability

I haven't been able to update my box with the latest Kodi updates for a long while now, but everything still works on it. When i say everything, i'm using Flawless on there only at the moment.

I want a mate like Flashberryjacks, who wears a Barnsley jersey with "Swans are my second team" on the back.

Android Box on 16:22 - Feb 26 with 3384 viewsSPboy

Android Box on 15:52 - Feb 26 by Neath_Jack

I haven't been able to update my box with the latest Kodi updates for a long while now, but everything still works on it. When i say everything, i'm using Flawless on there only at the moment.

It’s a T8 box that I have. In fairness it still works great using IPTV apps & Perfect Player and has paid for itself many times over for what I previously paid my internet provider for tv Services on a monthly basis. Just a bit frustrated about the Kodi bit but the Firesticks are fine with new Kodi versions.

If I invest in a new tv with 4K UHD etc to get full benefit I just wanted to know opinions on what’s out there for value for money
Login to get fewer ads

Android Box on 16:44 - Feb 26 with 3365 viewsSwanzay

Android Box on 15:44 - Feb 26 by WxmJax

Not meaning to be rude but a Kodi box might not be for them at that age. Bought one for the father in law but it hasn't worked out well. If the stream goes down or freezes or you have to refresh then it's just a waste of time and money as they can't get there head around it. If you have some type of box see if they can use that first before spending any money.
If all goes well I find the Amazon firestick to be fine, cheaper as well. They'll also need to have a broadband account, many older people just have a landline.

Thanks for the input Wxm, they have previously been using Rasberry Pi, but it recently died a death.

Alas I don't have a box of my own, just connect my lap top to the TV.

Thanks for the recommendations so far all!
Android Box on 16:58 - Feb 26 with 3347 viewsJack_y_Jwc

I was recommended Terrarium over the weekend as an alternative to Kodi, I've no idea if it's any good as I still you use an old version of Kodi on my Android box

Android Box on 17:06 - Feb 26 with 3336 viewsJango

Android Box on 16:58 - Feb 26 by Jack_y_Jwc

I was recommended Terrarium over the weekend as an alternative to Kodi, I've no idea if it's any good as I still you use an old version of Kodi on my Android box

Terrarium is superb for movies and tv series. It’s not for any sport or general tv channels though in case that’s what you’re looking for.
Android Box on 17:38 - Feb 26 with 3303 viewsoldgrey

I do forum support for Droidbox who supply these boxes.
They have a number of good boxes through the price range.
In my experience these boxes are not particularly user friendly.
A degree of technical knowledge is needed.
I suspect there will be a lot of calls to yourself to sort things out if you buy one for them.
Android Box on 17:44 - Feb 26 with 3297 viewsbazzool

Android Box on 15:40 - Feb 26 by SPboy

I had older version android box, all i done to update to kodi 17 is install mygica which enables to install kodi 17 from a site called hackmykodi.com
Android Box on 17:45 - Feb 26 with 3293 viewsSwanzay

Android Box on 17:38 - Feb 26 by oldgrey

I do forum support for Droidbox who supply these boxes.
They have a number of good boxes through the price range.
In my experience these boxes are not particularly user friendly.
A degree of technical knowledge is needed.
I suspect there will be a lot of calls to yourself to sort things out if you buy one for them.

The called me most Saturdays whilst the Pi was dying a slow one, they will be purchasing themselves. Any recommendations Oldgrey?

They already have a subscription to Streamcenter, so keen to make the most, before it elapses.
Android Box on 17:55 - Feb 26 with 3281 viewsoldgrey

Android Box on 17:45 - Feb 26 by Swanzay

The called me most Saturdays whilst the Pi was dying a slow one, they will be purchasing themselves. Any recommendations Oldgrey?

They already have a subscription to Streamcenter, so keen to make the most, before it elapses.

The t8 se is their top of the range at around £85.
The imxq Pro is a basic good value box.
Although all the boxes come with Kodi preinstalled, for legal reasons there are no add-ons preinstalled. You'll have to install them manually or put a build on.
Ditto android apps. Legal apps like Google and youtube are present but nothing like Mobdro, terrarium, tea TV etc.
So you'll need to set all that up for them.
They are UK based, their support is good and the user forum (check it out) is busy and helpful
Android Box on 18:43 - Feb 26 with 3242 viewsNeath_Jack

Android Box on 17:45 - Feb 26 by Swanzay

I told ewe, the T8 is the bollocks, and cheap as chips too. I also told you about the superb support. I don't recommend shite stuff.

Darran was right about you

Android Box on 19:08 - Feb 26 with 3232 viewsSwanzay

Android Box on 18:43 - Feb 26 by Neath_Jack

I told ewe, the T8 is the bollocks, and cheap as chips too. I also told you about the superb support. I don't recommend shite stuff.

Darran was right about you

The T8 is £94, not sure they want to spend that much, I just want to give them a few options. It will only be used for watching footie and that's it. They have no interest in watching anything else on there...
Android Box on 19:36 - Feb 26 with 3208 viewsSPboy

This is where I got my original box from

https://droidbox.co.uk/

Pretty decent support whenever I have emailed them,they have emailed me back to resolve issues. Also provided solutions to workaround Kodi with other media centres such as MyGica & FTMC.

I can’t help but think the technology and updates required is all a bit beyond most 80 year olds though
Android Box on 19:41 - Feb 26 with 3201 viewsSwanzay

Android Box on 19:36 - Feb 26 by SPboy

This is where I got my original box from

https://droidbox.co.uk/

Pretty decent support whenever I have emailed them,they have emailed me back to resolve issues. Also provided solutions to workaround Kodi with other media centres such as MyGica & FTMC.

I can’t help but think the technology and updates required is all a bit beyond most 80 year olds though

Ill be doing all the updates and installations for them, as I did for thier Pi.
Android Box on 20:01 - Feb 26 with 3175 viewsNeath_Jack

Android Box on 19:08 - Feb 26 by Swanzay

The T8 is £94, not sure they want to spend that much, I just want to give them a few options. It will only be used for watching footie and that's it. They have no interest in watching anything else on there...

https://www.entertainmentbox.com/product/stream-tv-box-ebox-t8-v4-tv-box-latest-

£79. This is where i had mine from.

Android Box on 20:04 - Feb 26 with 3172 viewsSwanzay

Android Box on 20:01 - Feb 26 by Neath_Jack

https://www.entertainmentbox.com/product/stream-tv-box-ebox-t8-v4-tv-box-latest-

Thanks for the clarification NJ!
Android Box on 20:18 - Feb 26 with 3159 viewsSPboy

Android Box on 19:41 - Feb 26 by Swanzay

Ill be doing all the updates and installations for them, as I did for thier Pi.

Well done Swanzay you are one good Samaritan, quite rare in this day and age - well you certainly have more patience than me.
Android Box on 20:32 - Feb 26 with 3140 viewsSwanzay

Android Box on 20:18 - Feb 26 by SPboy

Well done Swanzay you are one good Samaritan, quite rare in this day and age - well you certainly have more patience than me.

Thanks, but they are incredibly computer savvy for their age, shop on line, have FB and Twitter accounts.
Also in excellent health, love going to bingo and the local pub for a pint, long may it continue! They also love minding/spoiling my spaniel, if I go out on an eve, so it works both ways.
Android Box on 21:56 - Feb 26 with 3089 viewsjedijack

Android Box on 20:01 - Feb 26 by Neath_Jack

If spending that much on a box a FireTV or a second hand shield would be better value for money IMO.

Either that or closer to £40 for a T95 derivative.
[Post edited 26 Feb 2018 21:56]
Android Box on 22:05 - Feb 26 with 3078 viewsNeath_Jack

Android Box on 21:56 - Feb 26 by jedijack

If spending that much on a box a FireTV or a second hand shield would be better value for money IMO.

Either that or closer to £40 for a T95 derivative.
[Post edited 26 Feb 2018 21:56]

Ah well, i bow to your superior knowledge then mate.

I'm just speaking as i've found, seems there's another couple of posters in this thread that recommend the T8 as well mind. My version is nearly 3 years old, can't update to the newest Kodi, but still plays Flawless in crystal clear HD. Never had one blip of trouble with it in all that time, had fantastic support when trying to set it up as a complete and utter novice.

But apart from all that, it's rubbish value

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024