Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Roy of the Rovers 18:40 - Mar 3 with 5782 viewsAguycalledJack

This is one for the older posters on here.

Did you read Roy of the Rovers as a kid? If so, who were your favourite characters?
[Post edited 3 Mar 2018 18:40]
Roy of the Rovers on 18:42 - Mar 3 with 3457 viewsWarwickHunt

Roy.
Roy of the Rovers on 18:43 - Mar 3 with 3449 viewsBournedore

Hotshot Hamish
Roy of the Rovers on 18:44 - Mar 3 with 3445 viewsAguycalledJack

Billy’s boots and hot shot Hamish and mouse for me.
Roy of the Rovers on 18:47 - Mar 3 with 3433 viewsKilkennyjack

Roy of the Rovers on 18:42 - Mar 3 by WarwickHunt

Roy.

😂

Beware of the Risen People

Roy of the Rovers on 19:02 - Mar 3 with 3404 viewsDarran

Tubby Morton.

The first ever recipient of a Planet Swans Lifetime Achievement Award.
Poll: Who’s got the most experts

Roy of the Rovers on 19:42 - Mar 3 with 3350 viewssherpajacob

Wizard and warlord for me.

Alf tupper breaking the world mile record after a 12 hour shift as a welder and eating fish and chips before the race.

Union Jack jackson and soldier smith

Poll: Your favourite ever Swans shirt sponsor?

Roy of the Rovers on 19:59 - Mar 3 with 3329 viewsSirjohnalot

Billy’s Boots and Mighty Mouse
Roy of the Rovers on 20:14 - Mar 3 with 3315 viewsWarwickHunt

Roy of the Rovers on 19:42 - Mar 3 by sherpajacob

Alf tupper breaking the world mile record after a 12 hour shift as a welder and eating fish and chips before the race.

Bernard Briggs - what a 'keeper.
Login to get fewer ads

Roy of the Rovers on 20:19 - Mar 3 with 3302 viewsAguycalledJack

Union Jack Jackson was a great read.
Roy of the Rovers on 20:26 - Mar 3 with 3293 viewsTreforys_Jack

Blackie Gray and Charlie the cat Carter
Roy of the Rovers on 20:39 - Mar 3 with 3279 viewsWingstandwood

What a player! A supreme example of the winning mentality and a natural ability to overcome adversity! Just done some online research……. nine league titles, eight FA Cups, three League Cups, three European Cups, one UEFA Cup, and four Cup Winners' Cups...... And?..... That’s despite an helicopter crash, being kidnapped at least 5 times, spending several weeks in a coma after a shooting and witnessing 8 fellow team members being killed in a explosion in which Roy himself suffered a dislocated shoulder.

The difference in individual personal and playing qualities between Roy and Franck Tabanou is stark!

Argus!

Roy of the Rovers on 20:53 - Mar 3 with 3260 viewsAguycalledJack

Roy of the Rovers on 20:39 - Mar 3 by Wingstandwood

What a player! A supreme example of the winning mentality and a natural ability to overcome adversity! Just done some online research……. nine league titles, eight FA Cups, three League Cups, three European Cups, one UEFA Cup, and four Cup Winners' Cups...... And?..... That’s despite an helicopter crash, being kidnapped at least 5 times, spending several weeks in a coma after a shooting and witnessing 8 fellow team members being killed in a explosion in which Roy himself suffered a dislocated shoulder.

The difference in individual personal and playing qualities between Roy and Franck Tabanou is stark!

When the comic finished I got given a book that documented the whole of Roy’s career. Think he’d been playing for about 50 years.

Hell of an engine on him.
Roy of the Rovers on 20:59 - Mar 3 with 3254 viewsWingstandwood

Roy of the Rovers on 20:53 - Mar 3 by AguycalledJack

When the comic finished I got given a book that documented the whole of Roy’s career. Think he’d been playing for about 50 years.

Hell of an engine on him.

Despite the trophy winning? It could said bad luck followed Roy around like his own shadow! But nevertheless he was wrapped in a flag of remarkable professionalism and fortitude. He could be on a pre-season tour to Australia and end up requiring life saving surgery and 800 stitches from a 20ft 5,500 pound Great White Shark attack? But Roy would be back in action for Rovers two weeks latter helping Rovers come back from a 5 goal half time deficit to score all 6 winning goals!!!!!!

Argus!

Roy of the Rovers on 21:01 - Mar 3 with 3244 viewsAguycalledJack

Roy of the Rovers on 20:59 - Mar 3 by Wingstandwood

Despite the trophy winning? It could said bad luck followed Roy around like his own shadow! But nevertheless he was wrapped in a flag of remarkable professionalism and fortitude. He could be on a pre-season tour to Australia and end up requiring life saving surgery and 800 stitches from a 20ft 5,500 pound Great White Shark attack? But Roy would be back in action for Rovers two weeks latter helping Rovers come back from a 5 goal half time deficit to score all 6 winning goals!!!!!!

A great club man.
Roy of the Rovers on 21:06 - Mar 3 with 3237 viewsoldgrey

Older viewers will remember the text only Rover.
In those golden days it was Nick Smith "its goals that count".
I think it did translate to cartoon form in the Hotspur.
In one episode he takes on an Italian goalkeeper who had been taunting him the whole game after they brought in the no goalie barging rule.
Last minute, our old style centre forward goes for the high ball against the Italian with a look of supreme damage in his eyes.
It's 2-2 and the Italian taunts our Nick one too many times.
Nick makes to barge the goalie into the east bank fully aware of the new rules.
Cleverly it's just a feint, a dodge.
He figures the Mediterranean character will believe he is going to get it, truly.
Goalie shtis out, drops ball and Nick scores.
3-2 to Granton United, another World League victory.
Arnold Tabbs congratulates him.

Was there really a player called "blackie" in Roy of the Rovers.
[Post edited 3 Mar 2018 21:07]
Roy of the Rovers on 21:07 - Mar 3 with 3233 viewsPacemaker

I used to have the Wizard it was great stuff, Alf Tupper a proper working class hero.

Life is an adventure or nothing at all.

Roy of the Rovers on 21:08 - Mar 3 with 3225 viewsoldgrey

The incredible Wilson!
The secret of universal life via the spring.
Roy of the Rovers on 21:11 - Mar 3 with 3212 viewsmonmouth

Roy of the Rovers on 21:06 - Mar 3 by oldgrey

Older viewers will remember the text only Rover.
In those golden days it was Nick Smith "its goals that count".
I think it did translate to cartoon form in the Hotspur.
In one episode he takes on an Italian goalkeeper who had been taunting him the whole game after they brought in the no goalie barging rule.
Last minute, our old style centre forward goes for the high ball against the Italian with a look of supreme damage in his eyes.
It's 2-2 and the Italian taunts our Nick one too many times.
Nick makes to barge the goalie into the east bank fully aware of the new rules.
Cleverly it's just a feint, a dodge.
He figures the Mediterranean character will believe he is going to get it, truly.
Goalie shtis out, drops ball and Nick scores.
3-2 to Granton United, another World League victory.
Arnold Tabbs congratulates him.

Was there really a player called "blackie" in Roy of the Rovers.
[Post edited 3 Mar 2018 21:07]

Blackie Greybthe inside forward. Laid loads on a plate for Roy but also scored a few hundred, I think the writer preferred old Blackie deep down.

Poll: TRUST MEMBERS: What DID you vote in the, um, vote

Roy of the Rovers on 21:25 - Mar 3 with 3197 viewsTNT

Scorcher and Score - Brilliant!. Kids today are missing out, mun.

I had an old pair of boots which I found in a shed. My old man put a blob of black shoe polish on them, set each blob alight with a match and let it run all over the boot. Then he'd shine each boot with an old rag. I was mesmerised. Little wonder I thought that I was 'Billy's Boots', and scored two from midfield, in their debut game, on a pitch near The Tick Tock in Ystalyfera.

Poll: Would you make goalposts bigger?

Roy of the Rovers on 21:43 - Mar 3 with 3179 viewsAguycalledJack

Roy of the Rovers on 21:11 - Mar 3 by monmouth

Blackie Greybthe inside forward. Laid loads on a plate for Roy but also scored a few hundred, I think the writer preferred old Blackie deep down.

I also liked Duncan McKay.

Can’t remember any welsh players? But I’m sure they had a Welsh physio by the name of Taf?
[Post edited 3 Mar 2018 21:48]
Roy of the Rovers on 21:51 - Mar 3 with 3168 viewsswanforthemoney

Anyone remember Brilliant Genius and his Lags 11, prison football team. One of my favourites.

I stand in the North Stand

Roy of the Rovers on 21:55 - Mar 3 with 3165 viewsWanderer

The Brampton Keys, Roy of the rovers
Raven, charlie Iron sides, Billy's boots.
Valiant, eagle, Victor, Jag, etc
All great characters and publications, loved reading these boyhood comics sitting on my bedroom window ledge with the rain lashing against the window on a stormy Sunday afternoon, ah memories...
Roy of the Rovers on 21:56 - Mar 3 with 3162 viewsoldgrey

Roy of the Rovers on 21:51 - Mar 3 by swanforthemoney

Anyone remember Brilliant Genius and his Lags 11, prison football team. One of my favourites.

Yes I remember them. The McKay type warden always suspected they were going to escape but pride meant they stayed around to win games.

There was another series, some former player with management ambitions took over at a decrepit 4th division team who consistently lost 40-0 and turned them into world beaters. Sounds like us but it wasn't and this was back in the sixties.

Braddock VC.
Roy of the Rovers on 07:55 - Mar 4 with 3056 viewssquarebear

Football Family Robinson, though i think it got canned when Tiger (which ROTR was in) merged with Scorcher.
Roy of the Rovers on 11:45 - Mar 4 with 2996 viewsWingstandwood

God I'm getting rather misty eyed, reminiscent and sentimental reading all this stuff! I think there are quite a few on here whom belong to a generation that weren't forever welded to a mobile phone in their youth.....Appreciated and enjoyed far more simpler things in life.....Were grateful for what they got and didn't demand the Earth.....Were more than willing to wear cheap non-designer clothes from the local markets/shops/mothers Kays catalogue.

Argus!

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024