Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Winston Churchill - The Darkest Hour 22:10 - Mar 5 with 9112 viewsAquinas

Just finished watching The Darkest Hour after seeing Gary Oldman won an Oscar for his portrayal of Winston Churchill.

I had a quick search through twitter to see what people thought of the film and most comments were about Churchill being a racist and someone who should not be lauded in this day and age.

Do you agree?
Winston Churchill - The Darkest Hour on 15:56 - Mar 6 with 3507 viewsLohengrin

Winston Churchill - The Darkest Hour on 15:33 - Mar 6 by londonlisa2001

No idea why it was an attempt to discredit. You'd have to ask the bloke who wrote it.

I was responding to you saying that the speeches you hear on the radio aren't him but are an actor.

It was Churchill. The actor stuff was disproved.

Edited - here you go Loh, an article about it. I can't see the Economist one at the moment.

https://www.winstonchurchill.org/resources/myths/an-actor-read-churchills-wartim
[Post edited 6 Mar 2018 15:37]

Re: your link. I’m far from convinced. Rhodes-James always comes across as part lovesick pup, part guard dog where Churchill is concerned. As an aside I used to know Clive Ponting fairly well. He used to lodge with a friend of ours when he was a lecturer at Swansea Uni. A nice chap.

An idea isn't responsible for those who believe in it.

Winston Churchill - The Darkest Hour on 16:13 - Mar 6 with 3494 viewslondonlisa2001

Winston Churchill - The Darkest Hour on 15:56 - Mar 6 by Lohengrin

Re: your link. I’m far from convinced. Rhodes-James always comes across as part lovesick pup, part guard dog where Churchill is concerned. As an aside I used to know Clive Ponting fairly well. He used to lodge with a friend of ours when he was a lecturer at Swansea Uni. A nice chap.

From Professor Richard Toye on the .gov.uk guest historian series:

Churchill did not broadcast the speech...

Rather, he gave it in the House of Commons, beginning at 3.40 pm and sitting down at 4.14. By contrast with some later occasions — notably his ‘finest hour’ speech of 18 June — he did not repeat it over the airwaves that evening. The thought simply does not seem to have occurred to him or to anyone else. Instead, a BBC announcer read sections of it during the nightly news. You have, of course, heard him delivering it, but he did not make that recording until 1949, when he was persuaded to do so for the benefit of posterity.

Few people, when they hear the speech on radio or TV documentaries, are aware that they are listening to Churchill speaking not in 1940 but nine years later.Strangely, though, there is a popular myth that the speech was broadcast at the time, not by Churchill himself, but by an actor, Norman Shelley. Shelley did make a phonograph recording of a different Churchill speech in the aftermath of the 1942 victory at El Alamein although what use was made of it, if any, is unknown. He never claimed to have impersonated the Prime Minister over the airwaves, and though many historians have pointed out that the story is false, it seems impossible to kill it.
Winston Churchill - The Darkest Hour on 16:18 - Mar 6 with 3486 viewsLohengrin

Winston Churchill - The Darkest Hour on 16:13 - Mar 6 by londonlisa2001

Rather, he gave it in the House of Commons, beginning at 3.40 pm and sitting down at 4.14. By contrast with some later occasions — notably his ‘finest hour’ speech of 18 June — he did not repeat it over the airwaves that evening. The thought simply does not seem to have occurred to him or to anyone else. Instead, a BBC announcer read sections of it during the nightly news. You have, of course, heard him delivering it, but he did not make that recording until 1949, when he was persuaded to do so for the benefit of posterity.

Few people, when they hear the speech on radio or TV documentaries, are aware that they are listening to Churchill speaking not in 1940 but nine years later.Strangely, though, there is a popular myth that the speech was broadcast at the time, not by Churchill himself, but by an actor, Norman Shelley. Shelley did make a phonograph recording of a different Churchill speech in the aftermath of the 1942 victory at El Alamein although what use was made of it, if any, is unknown. He never claimed to have impersonated the Prime Minister over the airwaves, and though many historians have pointed out that the story is false, it seems impossible to kill it.

That does sound more like it, Lisa.

Winston Churchill - The Darkest Hour on 16:30 - Mar 6 with 3471 viewslondonlisa2001

Winston Churchill - The Darkest Hour on 16:18 - Mar 6 by Lohengrin

That does sound more like it, Lisa.

As I said, I read about it in the Economist some time ago. Can't find the article now which makes me think perhaps it wasn't the Economist after all, although I would have sworn it was,

I only remember it as it was the first time I'd even heard that it wasn't him, or that he recorded everything again years later so I found it interesting.
Winston Churchill - The Darkest Hour on 17:12 - Mar 6 with 3432 viewstheloneranger

Lisa and Loh.

I found this article from the Economist dated Nov 2000

https://www.economist.com/node/410880

Everyday above ground ... Is a good day! 😎

Winston Churchill - The Darkest Hour on 17:26 - Mar 6 with 3417 viewsLord_Bony

Winston Churchill - The Darkest Hour on 16:13 - Mar 6 by londonlisa2001

Very good lass.

PROUD RECIPIENT OF THE THIRD PLANET SWANS LIFETIME ACHIEVEMENT AWARD. "Per ardua ad astra"
Poll: iS tHERE lIFE aFTER dEATH

Winston Churchill - The Darkest Hour on 17:36 - Mar 6 with 3404 viewsLohengrin

Winston Churchill - The Darkest Hour on 17:12 - Mar 6 by theloneranger

Lisa and Loh.

I’m wracking my brain as to where I would have first encountered the story, it may well have been from Ponting? It didn’t come in the guise of some great revelation more in the way of an interesting bit of information that I’d filed away in the back of my mind and trotted out on here years later.

Winston Churchill - The Darkest Hour on 17:51 - Mar 6 with 3388 viewslondonlisa2001

Winston Churchill - The Darkest Hour on 17:12 - Mar 6 by theloneranger

Lisa and Loh.

That's the one! No wonder I didn't find it - I had no idea it was that long ago. I only went back a few years.

God, I can't believe I remembered that - I barely remember what I did last Wednesday!!

Weird.

I'm not even particularly interested in Churchill to be honest. When I saw the Oscars highlights show last night, of all the films, that's the one I have least interest in seeing (well that and Dunkirk).
Login to get fewer ads

Winston Churchill - The Darkest Hour on 21:17 - Mar 6 with 3330 viewsdickythorpe

Churchill and his wife visited Swansea after the Blitz. She was dressed to the nines which pissed people off no end.
Winston Churchill - The Darkest Hour on 21:22 - Mar 6 with 3324 viewsBobby_Fischer

Winston Churchill - The Darkest Hour on 21:17 - Mar 6 by dickythorpe

Churchill and his wife visited Swansea after the Blitz. She was dressed to the nines which pissed people off no end.

Poll: Who should take over from Jenkins?

Winston Churchill - The Darkest Hour on 21:22 - Mar 6 with 3324 viewsLohengrin

[Post edited 6 Mar 2018 21:26]

Winston Churchill - The Darkest Hour on 21:48 - Mar 6 with 3303 viewstheloneranger

Churchill was accompanied by his wife, Clementine, who was said to have worn a “striking” outfit that contrasted greatly with her bombsite surroundings

Jim Owens described her as being “topped and tailed in a turban and boots” and wearing “an extremely expensive and showy, light-coloured, shaggy ocelot fur coat”.

He said: “Mrs Churchill wore a striking outfit. So striking that in the austerity of the times, and against the backdrop of a devastated provincial town, it raised eyebrows and drew comments that weren’t altogether complimentary.”

Everyday above ground ... Is a good day! 😎

Winston Churchill - The Darkest Hour on 21:50 - Mar 6 with 3301 viewsKilkennyjack

The post war election result tells its own story.

Beware of the Risen People

Winston Churchill - The Darkest Hour on 17:07 - Mar 7 with 3238 viewsLord_Bony

An ocelot coat? Wow

Wouldn't get away with that these days.

PROUD RECIPIENT OF THE THIRD PLANET SWANS LIFETIME ACHIEVEMENT AWARD. "Per ardua ad astra"
Poll: iS tHERE lIFE aFTER dEATH

Winston Churchill - The Darkest Hour on 19:18 - Mar 7 with 3207 viewstrampie

Some people just laugh in the face of Churchill

Continually being banned by Planet Swans for Porthcawl and then being reinstated.
Poll: UK European Union membership referendum poll

Winston Churchill - The Darkest Hour on 19:40 - Mar 7 with 3188 viewsFlashberryjack

Winston Churchill - The Darkest Hour on 19:18 - Mar 7 by trampie

Some people just laugh in the face of Churchill

As Hitler did.

Hello
Poll: Should the Senedd be Abolished

Winston Churchill - The Darkest Hour on 19:47 - Mar 7 with 3181 viewstrampie

Winston Churchill - The Darkest Hour on 19:40 - Mar 7 by Flashberryjack

As Hitler did.

Been described as a different side of the same coin.

Continually being banned by Planet Swans for Porthcawl and then being reinstated.
Poll: UK European Union membership referendum poll

Winston Churchill - The Darkest Hour on 19:48 - Mar 7 with 3176 viewsLohengrin

Winston Churchill - The Darkest Hour on 19:47 - Mar 7 by trampie

Been described as a different side of the same coin.

Don’t be a silly Billy.

Winston Churchill - The Darkest Hour on 09:48 - Mar 8 with 3091 viewsJack_Meoff

Just a random Thursday thought. How in the name of God do the British establishment and finance persuade the working class to fight wars that, in the long term, benefit nobody but the British establishment and finance?

We're watching our country disintegrate before our very eyes, drowning in the debt scam, industry long sold for a pittance, yet we talk about freedom and democracy. Ha!

We'll literally swallow any old sh*te as long as we can place an 'X' in a box every five years. Because, as your government states, ' you live in a democracy, YOU LIVE IN A DEMOCRACY.'

If you want a vision of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face--forever.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024