Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Some good news at last 19:11 - Mar 6 with 4792 viewsblaenaugwentjack

No more half empty stadiums watching a game no one's untreated in, yes regional rugby is being taken off the bbc 😀
Some good news at last on 21:25 - Mar 6 with 1673 viewsswanaway

The Scarlets played magnificent rugby last season and still are, plenty of flair in their game. Rugby is a far different game from the heady days of the 70's, defences are far more organised for a start. Personally I can't understand why attendances are so poor yet the Internationals are always a sell out.
Some good news at last on 21:26 - Mar 6 with 1670 viewsbuilthjack

Learn Welsh

Swansea Indepenent Poster Of The Year 2021. Dr P / Mart66 / Roathie / Parlay / E20/ Duffle was 2nd, but he is deluded and thinks in his little twisted brain that he won. Poor sod. We let him win this year, as he has cried for a whole year. His 14 usernames, bless his cotton socks.

Some good news at last on 21:26 - Mar 6 with 1667 viewsbuilthjack

Quick

Swansea Indepenent Poster Of The Year 2021. Dr P / Mart66 / Roathie / Parlay / E20/ Duffle was 2nd, but he is deluded and thinks in his little twisted brain that he won. Poor sod. We let him win this year, as he has cried for a whole year. His 14 usernames, bless his cotton socks.

Some good news at last on 21:29 - Mar 6 with 1658 viewsSwanjaxs

Some good news at last on 21:26 - Mar 6 by builthjack

Learn Welsh

yw'r ateb cywir 👍

You might think I've forgotten, but one day, when you least expect it, my time will come.
Poll: Celtic and Rangers should be fast tracked into the Championship ASAP

Some good news at last on 21:34 - Mar 6 with 1628 viewsRevJames

Some good news at last on 21:25 - Mar 6 by swanaway

The Scarlets played magnificent rugby last season and still are, plenty of flair in their game. Rugby is a far different game from the heady days of the 70's, defences are far more organised for a start. Personally I can't understand why attendances are so poor yet the Internationals are always a sell out.

Here's the difference.

I went to the Scarlets v Toulon game recently. Great game, great atmosphere and hardly got up at all to let someone pass to go to the bar or bog.

Contrast that with the Principality Stadium where a significant number of 'fans' spend more time back and forth to the bar or in the bog than watching the match - while annoying people who just wan to watch the game.

Internationals are just a day out for many and you probably won't see them at your regional rugby match.
Some good news at last on 21:38 - Mar 6 with 1607 viewsPrivate_Partz

Some good news at last on 20:04 - Mar 6 by dickythorpe

I've lost interest since regions came in 2003.

Regionalisation came about to improve the Welsh team. It has made no difference.
Couple this with the massive over exposure on the rugby Cardiff Centric BBC and it has resulted in the virtual death of the game.
Internationals are the only well supported games and most of the crowds have not got a clue about the game and it is just an excuse for a massive p!ss up.
Unpick regionalisation. Bring back all the local clubs, and if players want to go elswhere chasing big money, then let them.
One thing the whole of rugby needs to recognise is that international duty must supersede club matches and fixtures should not clash. BBC coverage of the odd local match would not affect crowds unduly.
I am sure the game in Wales would improve as a result although you would never get me to watch it ;-)

You have mission in life to hold out your hand, To help the other guy out, Help your fellow man. Stan Ridgway

Some good news at last on 21:50 - Mar 6 with 1582 viewsoldgrey

At the end of the day this is a stupid commercial decision.
For the Pro 14 it will lead to a reduction in interest in the game, as has happened to Cricket after they went pay to view.
For Premier Sports they are going to have to sign up a load of people at whatever subscription price to make it economically feasible.
It is estimated that 100,000 view pro 14 televised rugby in Wales.
I predict that a large proportion of those will continue to watch for free via alternative viewing methods.
Some good news at last on 09:25 - Mar 7 with 1506 viewsfelixstowe_jack

Hopefully the Rugby supporters will get off their backsides and actually go to matches.

Poll: Sholud Wales rollout vaccination at full speed.

Login to get fewer ads

Some good news at last on 09:46 - Mar 7 with 1494 viewsBarrySwan

Some good news at last on 21:50 - Mar 6 by oldgrey

At the end of the day this is a stupid commercial decision.
For the Pro 14 it will lead to a reduction in interest in the game, as has happened to Cricket after they went pay to view.
For Premier Sports they are going to have to sign up a load of people at whatever subscription price to make it economically feasible.
It is estimated that 100,000 view pro 14 televised rugby in Wales.
I predict that a large proportion of those will continue to watch for free via alternative viewing methods.

'For the Pro 14 it will lead to a reduction in interest in the game'

Is that actually possible?

The borefest that is 35 odd recycled possessions in a row and 30 muscle bound hulks tackling themselves into the ground is hardly pulling in the crowds is it? ( other than for a day on the pop Internationals for those hordes who never attend a club or regional game)

Far from being anti rugby I played the sport for 35 seasons and wouldn't look out my back window to watch a game of professional rugby for free. The sport has destroyed itself as an entertaining spectacle and the messy financially unsustainable failure that is regional rugby in Wales is a perfect example of it's demise.
Some good news at last on 09:55 - Mar 7 with 1489 viewsSTID2017

Some good news at last on 20:39 - Mar 6 by BrynCartwright

Welsh language rights not yet been decided upon apparently. Hopefully S4C may still show some.

Personally, I will miss the Scarlets and Ospreys games.

But that's the equivalent of Manure v Liverpool.
Viewing figures for say Stoke v WBA would be millions lower than a massive game.
Same as when Ospreys play Llanelli - full stadium and many viewers, but not a true reflection.

"Sanity and happiness are an impossible combination" - Mark Twain
Poll: Who Would You Want As Captain For Swans ?

Some good news at last on 10:07 - Mar 7 with 1482 viewsBrynCartwright

Some good news at last on 09:55 - Mar 7 by STID2017

But that's the equivalent of Manure v Liverpool.
Viewing figures for say Stoke v WBA would be millions lower than a massive game.
Same as when Ospreys play Llanelli - full stadium and many viewers, but not a true reflection.

I didn't just mean Scarlets v Ospreys; I meant all of the Scarlets games and all of the Ospreys games.

Poll: Artificial Crowd Noise for Premier League and Champiionship Games is...

Some good news at last on 14:50 - Mar 7 with 1433 viewsJackfath

Some good news at last on 21:38 - Mar 6 by Private_Partz

Regionalisation came about to improve the Welsh team. It has made no difference.
Couple this with the massive over exposure on the rugby Cardiff Centric BBC and it has resulted in the virtual death of the game.
Internationals are the only well supported games and most of the crowds have not got a clue about the game and it is just an excuse for a massive p!ss up.
Unpick regionalisation. Bring back all the local clubs, and if players want to go elswhere chasing big money, then let them.
One thing the whole of rugby needs to recognise is that international duty must supersede club matches and fixtures should not clash. BBC coverage of the odd local match would not affect crowds unduly.
I am sure the game in Wales would improve as a result although you would never get me to watch it ;-)

Three Grand Slams since the introduction of the Regions, and none in the previous 20 years before would indicate otherwise.

POSTER OF THE YEAR 2013. PROUD RECIPIENT OF THE SECOND PLANET SWANS LIFETIME ACHIEVEMENT AWARD.
Poll: Should Darran's ban be lifted?

Some good news at last on 19:28 - Mar 7 with 1384 viewsPrivate_Partz

Some good news at last on 14:50 - Mar 7 by Jackfath

Three Grand Slams since the introduction of the Regions, and none in the previous 20 years before would indicate otherwise.

Really? I sit corrected. I remember the days under the old system when Wales were far more successful though.
Maybe the objective has been achieved but it has destroyed the game at a local level. I don't think international tickets are as sought after as they used to be either.
I don't find the game interesting at all but I thought there was a structure to be admired with clubs of great tradition before Regionalisation.

You have mission in life to hold out your hand, To help the other guy out, Help your fellow man. Stan Ridgway

Some good news at last on 23:30 - Mar 7 with 1329 viewsmajorraglan

Some good news at last on 19:28 - Mar 7 by Private_Partz

Really? I sit corrected. I remember the days under the old system when Wales were far more successful though.
Maybe the objective has been achieved but it has destroyed the game at a local level. I don't think international tickets are as sought after as they used to be either.
I don't find the game interesting at all but I thought there was a structure to be admired with clubs of great tradition before Regionalisation.

The Guinness Pro 14 is very much the poor relation when compared to the Aviva Premiership and the French competitions, the income they receive from TV is huge when compared to what the Pro 14 clubs get. In order for the Welsh teams to be able to compete they need more money and a more lucrative TV deal may provide that, however a pay per view or subscription based deal could result in a significant decrease the rugby’s visibility and ultimately popular appeal. I seem to recall reading something about the RFU missing an opportunity of exploiting their success after winning the World Cup by switching to Sky. A lot of clubs in the Welsh Premiership, which is pretty much the old guard of club rugby appear to be struggling and the exposure the game gets is very limited. The standard of rugby is not as bad as the pundits make out, but the game just doesn’t get the crowds or exposure. I enjoy football and rugby and go to some of the club rugby games, but if Wales want to compete at the top table we need to have a strong club set up and that won’t come from the old structure.

I feel very little affinity to any of the regional outfits, but I don’t think reverting to the previous structure is a viable alternative. Liberty Stadium apart, there are no grounds in the old West or Mid Glamorgan that have the ability to hold the kind of crowds that are needed to sustain top class rugby. I recently attended a Worcester Warriors game at Sixways, it’s an 11,500 capacity stadium and half the size of the Liberty, but it’s main stand is quite impressive and the ground has over 50 meeting rooms etc for businesses which could generate a fair amount of revenue for the Club. I would like nothing better than to see the Scarlets or a Pro 14 team win the Champions Cup.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024