Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Alabama Rot 17:35 - Mar 11 with 3241 viewsCountyJim

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-43230927

Absolutely terrible disease
Alabama Rot on 17:48 - Mar 11 with 2665 viewsmax936

Looks a bastard Jimbo, not heard of it down here, a cure or vaccine will be found though remember Parvovirus horrible dirty depilating disease we lost a Dobe pup with it I spent a fortune on trying to save him, but I couldn't terrible watching the poor mite die, but we tried to give him every chance.

Poll: Will it Snow this coming Winter

Alabama Rot on 18:07 - Mar 11 with 2629 viewsCountyJim

Alabama Rot on 17:48 - Mar 11 by max936

Looks a bastard Jimbo, not heard of it down here, a cure or vaccine will be found though remember Parvovirus horrible dirty depilating disease we lost a Dobe pup with it I spent a fortune on trying to save him, but I couldn't terrible watching the poor mite die, but we tried to give him every chance.

Thats terrible Steve

I have showered my boy today he came back from our walk soaking and black as arseholes and me
Alabama Rot on 19:07 - Mar 11 with 2563 viewsmax936

Alabama Rot on 18:07 - Mar 11 by CountyJim

Thats terrible Steve

I have showered my boy today he came back from our walk soaking and black as arseholes and me

Where did you take him the Blending Plant

Alabama Rot on 19:12 - Mar 11 with 2552 viewsCountyJim

Alabama Rot on 19:07 - Mar 11 by max936

Where did you take him the Blending Plant

Ha! no it chucked it down around here this afto
Alabama Rot on 19:36 - Mar 11 with 2523 viewsmax936

Alabama Rot on 19:12 - Mar 11 by CountyJim

Ha! no it chucked it down around here this afto

And here we didn't have black rain though

Alabama Rot on 19:37 - Mar 11 with 2513 viewsJackfath

Good name for a band.

POSTER OF THE YEAR 2013. PROUD RECIPIENT OF THE SECOND PLANET SWANS LIFETIME ACHIEVEMENT AWARD.
Poll: Should Darran's ban be lifted?

Alabama Rot on 20:02 - Mar 11 with 2483 viewsJoe_bradshaw

Alabama Rot on 19:37 - Mar 11 by Jackfath

Good name for a band.

Indeed.

I expected this thread to be about music.

Planet Swans Prediction League Winner Season 2013-14. Runner up 2014_15.
Poll: How many points clear of relegation will we be on Saturday night?

Alabama Rot on 21:05 - Mar 11 with 2441 viewsJack_Meoff

Alabama Rot on 19:37 - Mar 11 by Jackfath

Good name for a band.

I thought they were the guys that did the Sopranos theme tune.

If you want a vision of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face--forever.

Login to get fewer ads

Alabama Rot on 23:53 - Mar 11 with 2379 viewsBarrySwan

Alabama Rot on 17:48 - Mar 11 by max936

Pretty upsetting stuff and it's spreading all over Wales, A dog died of it in Barry this week and another in St Athan.

As regards finding a cure or vaccine the worrying thing is that this has been kicking about for quite a number of years now in the States ( hence the name of the condition) and the americans haven't managed to find a cure or vaccine yet, despite I would imagine huge efforts to do so.
[Post edited 11 Mar 2018 23:54]
Alabama Rot on 00:21 - Mar 12 with 2357 viewsmax936

Alabama Rot on 23:53 - Mar 11 by BarrySwan

Pretty upsetting stuff and it's spreading all over Wales, A dog died of it in Barry this week and another in St Athan.

As regards finding a cure or vaccine the worrying thing is that this has been kicking about for quite a number of years now in the States ( hence the name of the condition) and the americans haven't managed to find a cure or vaccine yet, despite I would imagine huge efforts to do so.
[Post edited 11 Mar 2018 23:54]

Parvovirus was the same, they've managed to get to grips with it now, think they have at least got a cure for it now, Took ours to a vet in Porthcawl who had had some very good success in curing dogs with it, but ours wasn't so lucky disease was to well established although he tried, nasty horrible disease.

Correction there's still no cure for Parvo just checked.
[Post edited 12 Mar 2018 0:28]

Alabama Rot on 09:16 - Mar 12 with 2257 viewsProfessor

Alabama Rot on 00:21 - Mar 12 by max936

Parvovirus was the same, they've managed to get to grips with it now, think they have at least got a cure for it now, Took ours to a vet in Porthcawl who had had some very good success in curing dogs with it, but ours wasn't so lucky disease was to well established although he tried, nasty horrible disease.

Correction there's still no cure for Parvo just checked.
[Post edited 12 Mar 2018 0:28]

Probably caused by a toxin-producing Escherichia coli, but not conclusive. Very difficult to produce a vaccine as Ill-defined and no infection model. The US do a not have a great lead in vet research in general. Companion animal research is pretty limited to vaccine/pharmaceutical companies (and is small beer to them) or small charitable grants whereas government funding goes into livestock research to help protect food security. No cure for parvo which is why vaccination Is so important and why anti vaccination groups are so dangerous for human and animal health
Alabama Rot on 09:58 - Mar 12 with 2228 viewsmax936

Alabama Rot on 09:16 - Mar 12 by Professor

Probably caused by a toxin-producing Escherichia coli, but not conclusive. Very difficult to produce a vaccine as Ill-defined and no infection model. The US do a not have a great lead in vet research in general. Companion animal research is pretty limited to vaccine/pharmaceutical companies (and is small beer to them) or small charitable grants whereas government funding goes into livestock research to help protect food security. No cure for parvo which is why vaccination Is so important and why anti vaccination groups are so dangerous for human and animal health

Information about these two deadly dog diseases

http://alabamarot.co.uk/about-alabama-rot/about-rot/

https://pets.webmd.com/dogs/parvo-parvovirus-dogs#1

Alabama Rot on 11:00 - Mar 12 with 2198 viewsProfessor

Alabama Rot on 09:58 - Mar 12 by max936

Information about these two deadly dog diseases

http://alabamarot.co.uk/about-alabama-rot/about-rot/

https://pets.webmd.com/dogs/parvo-parvovirus-dogs#1

Be careful with ‘veterinary’ information on the web guys. There is lots of duff and sometimes wrong information out there. The parvo link is fine but that Alabama Rot one has lots of opinion not evidence. Not to say it is wrong, but as I said we know very little about it and people but forward theories with little evidence. This includes
Vets who should know better!
Alabama Rot on 13:57 - Mar 12 with 2159 viewsmax936

Alabama Rot on 11:00 - Mar 12 by Professor

Be careful with ‘veterinary’ information on the web guys. There is lots of duff and sometimes wrong information out there. The parvo link is fine but that Alabama Rot one has lots of opinion not evidence. Not to say it is wrong, but as I said we know very little about it and people but forward theories with little evidence. This includes
Vets who should know better!

I just googled them both and selected a link to put on here Prof people can then dig further if they wish, the interesting one for me is Parvo, as I've experienced it first hand unfortunately.
The Alabama Rot seems a lot nastier though, the difference is you can prevent Parvo in most cases as it generally attacks puppies, which makes it easier to control to a point, the Alabama one is a real danger though.

Alabama Rot on 14:06 - Mar 12 with 2151 viewslondonlisa2001

Alabama Rot on 13:57 - Mar 12 by max936

I just googled them both and selected a link to put on here Prof people can then dig further if they wish, the interesting one for me is Parvo, as I've experienced it first hand unfortunately.
The Alabama Rot seems a lot nastier though, the difference is you can prevent Parvo in most cases as it generally attacks puppies, which makes it easier to control to a point, the Alabama one is a real danger though.

Dogs are vaccinated against parvo now.

Alabama Rot is really worrying. The only hope is that it's been here for at least 4 or 5 years and the number of cases is still very, very small.
Alabama Rot on 14:38 - Mar 12 with 2129 viewsmax936

Alabama Rot on 14:06 - Mar 12 by londonlisa2001

Dogs are vaccinated against parvo now.

Alabama Rot is really worrying. The only hope is that it's been here for at least 4 or 5 years and the number of cases is still very, very small.

Yeah I know, the vet I took my Dobe pup to when he become seriously ill with Parvo told me that he had probably caught it off the Pups Father, I had him at 8 weeks I naïvely accepted from the breeder that he had, had his first round of injections which he clearly hadn't, the pups where bred at home and I later found out that four other pups had succumb to the disease, the Vet took the case on with the RSPCA after I did some ground work, this was 30ish yrs ago though.

Alabama Rot on 15:25 - Mar 12 with 2115 viewsFlashberryjack

A good friend of mine lost his Springer Spaniel bitch to it last week, she was a smashing little bitch, a Field Trial Winner as well.

Hello
Poll: Should the Senedd be Abolished

Alabama Rot on 15:28 - Mar 12 with 2112 viewsProfessor

Alabama Rot on 13:57 - Mar 12 by max936

Thankfully Alabama Rot is pretty rare and has remained a nasty if unusual disease in the US. Just seems to be in the media now. As said at least Parvo and some other infections are vaccine preventable. Worth bearing in mind tick-borne diseases have been on the increase too.
Alabama Rot on 16:00 - Mar 12 with 2097 viewsmax936

Alabama Rot on 15:28 - Mar 12 by Professor

Thankfully Alabama Rot is pretty rare and has remained a nasty if unusual disease in the US. Just seems to be in the media now. As said at least Parvo and some other infections are vaccine preventable. Worth bearing in mind tick-borne diseases have been on the increase too.

What do you know about Cardiomyopathy?
I lost my Max to what I think was that.2,1/2 yrs ago aged 11, I emailed a consultant at Liverpool Veterinary College after receiving an email from her, she was off on maternity leave at the time but she never got back to me.

Alabama Rot on 16:17 - Mar 12 with 2089 viewslondonlisa2001

Alabama Rot on 15:28 - Mar 12 by Professor

There was a lot of Lyme disease about in London last year. For humans as well. Hopefully the cold winter will have killed a lot off this year.
Alabama Rot on 17:30 - Mar 12 with 2066 viewsProfessor

Alabama Rot on 16:17 - Mar 12 by londonlisa2001

There was a lot of Lyme disease about in London last year. For humans as well. Hopefully the cold winter will have killed a lot off this year.

The ticks or the bug? Borrelia are quite tough!
Alabama Rot on 18:09 - Mar 12 with 2050 viewslondonlisa2001

Alabama Rot on 17:30 - Mar 12 by Professor

The ticks or the bug? Borrelia are quite tough!

The ticks that spread it!

It seems that the incidences have been far higher in the last couple of years and last year particularly as the winters were mild. Or so the doctors believe anyway.
Alabama Rot on 18:45 - Mar 12 with 2032 viewsProfessor

Alabama Rot on 16:17 - Mar 12 by londonlisa2001

Generally yes, but more impact on midges and mosquitoes than ticks. Ixodes ticks are pretty endemic but the warmer southern grass and woodland have a bigger problem, though there is some Lyme up north too.
Alabama Rot on 19:12 - Mar 12 with 2014 viewsmax936

Alabama Rot on 18:45 - Mar 12 by Professor

Generally yes, but more impact on midges and mosquitoes than ticks. Ixodes ticks are pretty endemic but the warmer southern grass and woodland have a bigger problem, though there is some Lyme up north too.

Did you read my post above Prof asking you about Cardiomyopathy?

Alabama Rot on 22:20 - Mar 12 with 1975 viewsProfessor

Alabama Rot on 19:12 - Mar 12 by max936

Did you read my post above Prof asking you about Cardiomyopathy?

Sorry Max

Infection and immunity is my thing. I don’t know much about heart conditions. Who did you contact before? I only know a few people in the small animal hospital sadly.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024