Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Swans battering at Huddersfield 16:40 - Mar 14 with 7412 viewsswancity

Shows the most one sided statistics in Premier League history for a game where a team has actually taken something from the game albeit just one point

30 goal attempts for the home team, a struggling Huddersfield, to none for the Swans, only 19% ball possession for Swans and most of that in our own half, with 12 corners to nil.

In the circumstances ( player sent off after 10 minutes ) the point was seen as a miraculous achievement but let's be honest it wasn't really was it. Again we rode our luck. For sheer determination we deserved a point but let's be honest, determination from players is a minimum requirement isn't it. It was most definitely nothing to write home about as welcome and possibly vital as the one point is.

Only an idiot would eat a turkey curry on Christmas day

Swans battering at Huddersfield on 20:43 - Mar 14 with 1670 viewsmax936

Swans battering at Huddersfield on 19:36 - Mar 14 by theloneranger

Max, it was Hadergjonaj who should have had the red card for the tackle on Ki.

Hogg should have gone in the first half, which should have made it 10 v 9 and 3 points for the Swans.

Anyway it was a great fighting point and could be crucial when the season ends.

My mistake Ta.

Poll: Will it Snow this coming Winter

Swans battering at Huddersfield on 20:44 - Mar 14 with 1665 viewsTheResurrection

Swans battering at Huddersfield on 17:35 - Mar 14 by jack247

This is why stats can be so misleading. They had 3 decent chances I can remember, the volley, a cross shot in the second half and the header against the bar right at the end. I think 4 of their 30 shots were on target?

We didn’t try to take the game to them at all, we just challenged them to break us down and they weren’t able to. They had 81% possession and all the corners and territory, because every time we got the ball, we pretty much just launched it towards an unsupported Ayew, reset and waited for it to come back.

We played for 0-0 for 80 odd minutes and bar a couple of scares, achieved it fairly comfortably. We could have taken the game to them, the stats would have looked better but we probably would have lost.

Well no, that's what happened and that's what the stats said.

They had the vast majority of chances that didn't threaten at all but did have a handful that did. They had a couple of glancing headers in the first half as well that went pretty close.

I'm torn here because I celebrated that no score like we'd won the cup but I have to say I was a tad disappointed we offered absolutely zero going forward. We've seen countless teams go down to ten and rarely do we see any of them genuinely have no chances thereafter whatsoever.

I think the Brighton game played a part in our tactics to a certain degree and whereas we were completely reckless then we went the other way against Huddersfield.

I've argued with the OP many a time about the Spurs game where we battled hard and more than deserved our point. We more than deserved it this time as well and even though we were down to ten men, this was against a team we really shouldn't have given so much respect to.

The other reason I think I was so happy is because I genuinely didn't expect anything from the game when he got sent off so when we did it was a great feeling.

Also, looking back, I don't care too much now as that point is on the board and it could be invaluable.

* BOX OFFICE POST ABOVE* TM I am the resurrection and i am the light. I couldn’t ever bring myself to hate you as i’d like
Poll: Is it time for the Trust to make change happen?

Swans battering at Huddersfield on 20:47 - Mar 14 with 1661 viewsswancity

Swans battering at Huddersfield on 20:39 - Mar 14 by cmajack

While I was absolutely thrilled with the point gained , thought the swans might have created something during the 90 minutes. Teams do win playing with 10 men and like another poster said it was Huddersfield and not man city we were playing against. Southend actually beat the swans down the vetch with 8 players and I think they actually scored their 3rd goal with only 8 players on at the time.

Agreed. Yes I was at that game v Southend at the Vetch and seem to recall Mark Gower scoring for Southend who were down to 8 players it might have been the winning goal?

Swans battering at Huddersfield on 20:53 - Mar 14 with 1653 viewsmax936

Swans battering at Huddersfield on 19:46 - Mar 14 by swancity

The record books will indeed always show it as a 0-0. But whichever way you look at it we were lucky to escape with a point which explains the jubilant scenes at the final whistle. A tactical masterclass I heard it referred to? I think not. Getting everyone behind the ball and to defend deeply and in numbers is the easiest tactic in the book. It was our tactic at Spurs, another 0-0 where the home team dominated and deserved a big win. Another game where our goalkeeper was the clear man of the match. The difference with Carvalhal is that he can and does vary tactics, formation and game plans considerably.

They were pacey in attack we were away from home, if he felt we could get somin out of it by keeping tight who are we to argue, I'm sure if we could have haa break on we would have taken it, this thread wouldn't be here if Hoorn had got a decent contact on that chance or Tammy on his, they would have hit us harder at one down perhaps, which might have given us more chances, either that or they would have became a bit cagey in case we did break out, we can analyse that game over analyse it even, but the score would still be the same 0-0.
If my Auntie had bollox and all that

Swans battering at Huddersfield on 21:03 - Mar 14 with 1647 viewsOptimisticJack

Swans battering at Huddersfield on 20:47 - Mar 14 by swancity

Agreed. Yes I was at that game v Southend at the Vetch and seem to recall Mark Gower scoring for Southend who were down to 8 players it might have been the winning goal?

Are you sure we lost that game? I seem to remember we won that game Alvin Martin was the

Optimisticjack

Swans battering at Huddersfield on 21:09 - Mar 14 with 1639 viewsswancity

Swans battering at Huddersfield on 21:03 - Mar 14 by OptimisticJack

Are you sure we lost that game? I seem to remember we won that game Alvin Martin was the

No not sure tbh

Swans battering at Huddersfield on 21:16 - Mar 14 with 1621 viewscmajack

Swans battering at Huddersfield on 21:09 - Mar 14 by swancity

No not sure tbh

No we definitely lost it. Just checked on the internet now mid december early 2000s tate, britton, and robinson were in swans line up that day. I was at the game myself but was a little unsure what year it was.
Swans battering at Huddersfield on 21:19 - Mar 14 with 1612 viewscmajack

13th December 2003
Login to get fewer ads

Swans battering at Huddersfield on 21:19 - Mar 14 with 1612 viewsOldjack

Swans battering at Huddersfield on 19:07 - Mar 14 by max936

Dyer and Narsingh, but you wouldn't have put them on Saturday unless we had gone a goal down and then it would only been Dyer as he will defend, I was happy with the point after being down to 10 men for so long, games gone now and history will tell you in yrs to come that the game ended 0-0 nothing else.

Dyer and Narsingh hardly Vardy calibre are they

Prosser the Tosser dwells on Phil's bum hole like a rusty old hemorrhoid ,fact You Greedy Bastards Get Out Of OUR Club!

Swans battering at Huddersfield on 21:22 - Mar 14 with 1602 viewsSwanjaxs

Swans battering at Huddersfield on 21:16 - Mar 14 by cmajack

No we definitely lost it. Just checked on the internet now mid december early 2000s tate, britton, and robinson were in swans line up that day. I was at the game myself but was a little unsure what year it was.

I remember beating Southend 3-1 at the Vetch with Martin in charge, not sure what year though

You might think I've forgotten, but one day, when you least expect it, my time will come.
Poll: Celtic and Rangers should be fast tracked into the Championship ASAP

Swans battering at Huddersfield on 21:26 - Mar 14 with 1596 viewsswancity

Swans battering at Huddersfield on 20:44 - Mar 14 by TheResurrection

They had the vast majority of chances that didn't threaten at all but did have a handful that did. They had a couple of glancing headers in the first half as well that went pretty close.

I'm torn here because I celebrated that no score like we'd won the cup but I have to say I was a tad disappointed we offered absolutely zero going forward. We've seen countless teams go down to ten and rarely do we see any of them genuinely have no chances thereafter whatsoever.

I think the Brighton game played a part in our tactics to a certain degree and whereas we were completely reckless then we went the other way against Huddersfield.

I've argued with the OP many a time about the Spurs game where we battled hard and more than deserved our point. We more than deserved it this time as well and even though we were down to ten men, this was against a team we really shouldn't have given so much respect to.

The other reason I think I was so happy is because I genuinely didn't expect anything from the game when he got sent off so when we did it was a great feeling.

Also, looking back, I don't care too much now as that point is on the board and it could be invaluable.

Agreed. Except the bit that says ' we more than deserved a point ' . We didn't deserve anything from either game. We did though somehow get a draw mainly down to inept finishing and excellent defensive work and goalkeeping. But to create zero in 90 minutes confirms that your team is on thin ice. Difference of opinion really.

Swans battering at Huddersfield on 22:05 - Mar 14 with 1572 viewstheloneranger

Swans battering at Huddersfield on 20:47 - Mar 14 by swancity

Mark Gower scored their 2nd goal and got sent off

Everyday above ground ... Is a good day! 😎

Swans battering at Huddersfield on 22:32 - Mar 14 with 1557 viewsmax936

Swans battering at Huddersfield on 21:19 - Mar 14 by Oldjack

Dyer and Narsingh hardly Vardy calibre are they

Vardy's a striker mun, but no they're not but they're all we got and that's why I mentioned them. Oh and we took point off Leicester this season Vardy and all
[Post edited 14 Mar 2018 22:49]

Swans battering at Huddersfield on 22:42 - Mar 14 with 1545 viewsmax936

Watched Barcelona v Chelsea, and before anyone pipes up I know there's a massive difference.
Chelsea had lots of the play tonight had a few good chances, but lost the 3-0 it could be said that on the stats Chelsea should have edged it as it wasn't really a 3-0 game, but the big difference was Barca took their big chances, it was a different game to ours obviously as one side didn't just defend for 80+ minutes, but stats wise the result could have been much different and that's the thing about stats, great for a teams analysts to decifer and to enable his team to react differently in another similar game, but that result won't change
Just for a very basic comparison before anyone gets their knickers in a twist

Swans battering at Huddersfield on 22:45 - Mar 14 with 1543 viewsmax936

Spot on about the Brighton's game tactic's, but I think the sending off dictated the way we played those 80 mins along with the Brighton debacle.

Swans battering at Huddersfield on 06:40 - Mar 15 with 1483 viewsjack247

Which, as I said, is why stats can be so misleading.

They ‘battered’ us because Carlos took the gamble on parking the bus and them not being able to break us down. It worked. Yes they came close a couple of times, but it worked.

We could quite easily have played more expansively and with more attacking intent. If stats were as important to him as they are to some people on here, maybe we would have. We would have been easier to break down though and would have been more likely to lose.

The teams that go down to ten and offer absolutely zero going forward, lose the game more often than not.
Swans battering at Huddersfield on 09:10 - Mar 15 with 1446 viewsFireboy2

I really dont see what the problem is with the tactics

It was a similar pattern in the game in that first 10 mins when we had 11 to the last 80 hen we had 10 the only difference was that andre was on his jack up front working is socks off wheras if we had both ayews we would have had a another attacking outlet and that would have made a difference

I think most swans fans would have taken a point before the game with 11 because more importantly it stopped huddersfield getting all 3

Thats the reason for all their moaning,because they are distraught that they didnt get all 3 pts in a home game versus a relegation rival down to 10 men for 80 mins

As Dar would say fvck em
Swans battering at Huddersfield on 09:28 - Mar 15 with 1441 viewsjack247

Swans battering at Huddersfield on 09:10 - Mar 15 by Fireboy2

I really dont see what the problem is with the tactics

It was a similar pattern in the game in that first 10 mins when we had 11 to the last 80 hen we had 10 the only difference was that andre was on his jack up front working is socks off wheras if we had both ayews we would have had a another attacking outlet and that would have made a difference

I think most swans fans would have taken a point before the game with 11 because more importantly it stopped huddersfield getting all 3

Thats the reason for all their moaning,because they are distraught that they didnt get all 3 pts in a home game versus a relegation rival down to 10 men for 80 mins

As Dar would say fvck em

It wouldn’t just have been the two Ayews. The midfield and full backs would have been more attack minded.

Agree though, I can’t see the issue with the tactics. Of course we rode our luck at times, but I thought it was an excellent performance. It’s not often teams get a result after losing a player that early.
Swans battering at Huddersfield on 12:17 - Mar 15 with 1409 viewsOldjack

Swans battering at Huddersfield on 22:32 - Mar 14 by max936

Vardy's a striker mun, but no they're not but they're all we got and that's why I mentioned them. Oh and we took point off Leicester this season Vardy and all
[Post edited 14 Mar 2018 22:49]

but he's a speed merchant of a striker ,which we just haven't got to catch them on the break ,hence my original post ,you wobbly jelly

Prosser the Tosser dwells on Phil's bum hole like a rusty old hemorrhoid ,fact You Greedy Bastards Get Out Of OUR Club!

Swans battering at Huddersfield on 12:26 - Mar 15 with 1401 viewsshandyjack

Swans battering at Huddersfield on 19:46 - Mar 14 by swancity

The record books will indeed always show it as a 0-0. But whichever way you look at it we were lucky to escape with a point which explains the jubilant scenes at the final whistle. A tactical masterclass I heard it referred to? I think not. Getting everyone behind the ball and to defend deeply and in numbers is the easiest tactic in the book. It was our tactic at Spurs, another 0-0 where the home team dominated and deserved a big win. Another game where our goalkeeper was the clear man of the match. The difference with Carvalhal is that he can and does vary tactics, formation and game plans considerably.

so 2 away games, 2 clean sheets and 2 points. Suits me fine

Poll: Expectation for the season

Swans battering at Huddersfield on 13:59 - Mar 15 with 1368 viewsMrSwerve

I think people forget that we still are relatively 'in the shit' and our squad hasn't turned into World beaters overnight. The games against teams around us are still going to be very hard to win, especially away.

With that in mind, we played nearly the whole game with ten men, in a match where it really was a 'must win' for the home side. I think everyone agreed on here that it was a 'must not lose' for us, and would have been happy with a 0-0 at the end of it.

We needed to absolutely park the bus and gain that point that could be crucial at the end of the season. Who cares if we had 0 or 4 shots on/off target...it's still a point at the end of the day.

If we'd had that performance with 11 players on the pitch it would be a different matter, but I don't think Carlos or the team deserve any criticism on this one.

Poll: Decision day - who wins the PL title?

Swans battering at Huddersfield on 15:24 - Mar 15 with 1338 viewsTheResurrection

Swans battering at Huddersfield on 06:40 - Mar 15 by jack247

Which, as I said, is why stats can be so misleading.

They ‘battered’ us because Carlos took the gamble on parking the bus and them not being able to break us down. It worked. Yes they came close a couple of times, but it worked.

We could quite easily have played more expansively and with more attacking intent. If stats were as important to him as they are to some people on here, maybe we would have. We would have been easier to break down though and would have been more likely to lose.

The teams that go down to ten and offer absolutely zero going forward, lose the game more often than not.

Please explain how the stats from the game were misleading?

* BOX OFFICE POST ABOVE* TM I am the resurrection and i am the light. I couldn’t ever bring myself to hate you as i’d like

Swans battering at Huddersfield on 15:31 - Mar 15 with 1329 viewsjack247

Swans battering at Huddersfield on 15:24 - Mar 15 by TheResurrection

Please explain how the stats from the game were misleading?

They make it look like Huddersfield are world beaters and we are shit. Teams will have been hammered by the likes of Barcelona and Man City this season and had better stats.

What they don’t tell you is that we allowed them all the possession and territory in order to give ourselves the best possible chance of not conceding.

As I said above, if stats were that important to Carlos, we could quite easily have improved on them. We could comfortably have secured more territory and possession and probably got a couple of shots away on the break, but Huddersfield would probably have had better chances than they did.
Swans battering at Huddersfield on 20:39 - Mar 15 with 1277 viewsTheResurrection

Swans battering at Huddersfield on 15:31 - Mar 15 by jack247

They make it look like Huddersfield are world beaters and we are shit. Teams will have been hammered by the likes of Barcelona and Man City this season and had better stats.

What they don’t tell you is that we allowed them all the possession and territory in order to give ourselves the best possible chance of not conceding.

As I said above, if stats were that important to Carlos, we could quite easily have improved on them. We could comfortably have secured more territory and possession and probably got a couple of shots away on the break, but Huddersfield would probably have had better chances than they did.

Mate, they were as fair a reflection of the actual game as you could dream of.

We did take a battering, regardless of whether it was by design or not.

Those stats were extremely apt.

Swans battering at Huddersfield on 21:09 - Mar 15 with 1265 viewsjack247

Swans battering at Huddersfield on 20:39 - Mar 15 by TheResurrection

Mate, they were as fair a reflection of the actual game as you could dream of.

We did take a battering, regardless of whether it was by design or not.

Those stats were extremely apt.

Ok, I’ll put it a different way.

If you didn’t see the game and purely relied on the stats, that would look like our worst performance this season, worse than anything under Monk, Bradley or Clement. The Tottenham away game wouldn’t be too far ahead of it stats wise. You know as well as anyone they were both far from that.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024