Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Is there a God? 22:41 - Mar 16 with 5248 viewsBrynCartwright

Is there a God?

Your Vote:

You need to be logged in to vote on our site polls

Poll: Artificial Crowd Noise for Premier League and Champiionship Games is...

Is there a God? on 11:43 - Mar 17 with 1233 viewsLeonWasGod

As in an actual ‘something’ as portrayed in religious texts? No. There’s no evidence for any of the 2,000+ gods humans have dreamed up over the millennia.

Maybe a more interesting question would be ‘what is god?’.
[Post edited 17 Mar 2018 11:49]
Is there a God? on 11:49 - Mar 17 with 1231 viewsBanosswan

Is there a God? on 02:50 - Mar 17 by DJack

Who "deems" that?!

Most(al) of the mainstream variants of scientific theory do not require a supreme being to get things "rolling" Please provide us with a tested hypothesis which demonstrates either in principle or statistically likely hood of a supreme being being the pro-genesis of our universe.

Also, based upon observed fact in the age of" science/verification", even if a "god" kicked things of they are no longer "here/listening".

I've heard Hafod is a 'Likely hood'.

Ever since my son was... never conceived, because I've never had consensual sex without money involved... I've always kind of looked at you as... a thing, that I could live next to... in accordance with state laws.
Poll: How do you like your steak?

Is there a God? on 13:10 - Mar 17 with 1184 viewsSwanjaxs

Planet Swans has spoken.... there is no God ... official 👍

You might think I've forgotten, but one day, when you least expect it, my time will come.
Poll: Celtic and Rangers should be fast tracked into the Championship ASAP

Is there a God? on 14:19 - Mar 17 with 1161 viewsexiledclaseboy

Certainly felt like there was earlier on.

But on balance, probably not.
[Post edited 17 Mar 2018 14:20]

Poll: Tory leader

Is there a God? on 14:44 - Mar 17 with 1147 viewsMo_Wives

Is there a God? on 13:10 - Mar 17 by Swanjaxs

Planet Swans has spoken.... there is no God ... official 👍

Excellent. I'm off to covet my neighbour's ass. Hope she left the curtains open.

Good luck, Mr Cooper

Is there a God? on 15:07 - Mar 17 with 1138 viewsE20Jack

2300 God's I think. Yet each person believes they have the right one and everyone else is wrong.

And it is regional, broadly speaking. Which suggests religion is simply down to being impressionable within your specific society rather than each person's epiphany or connection to their own God.

Whenever I have this discussion with religious types they always point to the amazing design of the world. Saying such like as "everything had to be perfect for life to exist, far too complex for it to be random chance". They say "The chances of us being able to have this conversation. Is so unlikely that there just has to be a creator".

That explanation baffles me.

Surely by the notion of everything that can happen, will happen. Then the chances are a certainty of it happening and in no small part even remotely a small chance. The chances of it happening were simply inevitable.

It's the monkeys and typewriter scenario. If space is infinite or so vast that it is incomprehensible, then the notion of random and infinity means that there are infinite worlds, infinite universes, infinite suns. The chances of a few being the right distance away from certain cosmic bodies to harbour life is pretty damn high. That life will then adapt to the space it is in.

If God created everything perfect to fit into a perfect world then evolution and natural selection would not exist... and it does.

Poll: 6 point deduction and sellouts lose all their cash?

Is there a God? on 16:41 - Mar 17 with 1098 viewsymaohyd

Of course there isn't a god. It's mindblowing that people believe in religion. That Jesus was the son of god, staggering. The other religions all bollox.

It's lovely to trot off to church on Sunday, or the mosque on a Friday, synagogue whenever. Sing happy songs, feel good about yourself, or chant to your hearts content, crack on. Such a shame that millions upon millions have lost their lives following their beliefs or killing others for theirs.

I can partly understand people being slaughtered in ancient times of ignorance, but in the year 2018 when Jews kill Muslims, Muslims Jews, Muslims each other one sunni, the other shia, or the likes of ISIS anyone and everyone.

Proud and relieved to be an atheist.

Blog: World Cup Performance = Transfer Speculation?

Is there a God? on 16:42 - Mar 17 with 1096 viewsGowerjack

Is there a God? on 08:52 - Mar 17 by epaul

Is there b*locks, religion is a load of sh*te and a way of controlling gullible mugs

Yep.

To think of all the wars torture and sexual abuse brought about by believing in a bunch of folk tales invented around the camp fire by a bunch of middle eastern goat herders .....

Nothing more than a control mechanism for the hard of understanding.

Plastic since 1974
Poll: Is ECB for tyranny?

Login to get fewer ads

Is there a God? on 16:44 - Mar 17 with 1092 viewsGowerjack

Is there a God? on 09:11 - Mar 17 by Lohengrin

“The Eucharist is the central, unifying act of western civilisation.”

David Jones CH, CBE. 1895 - 1974. Soldier - Poet - Artist.

Nonsense man

Plastic since 1974
Poll: Is ECB for tyranny?

Is there a God? on 17:30 - Mar 17 with 1082 viewsDJack

Is there a God? on 07:10 - Mar 17 by Brynmill_Jack

Nobody has absolute proof in either standpoint, if that were the case this thread logically wouldn't exist. You can have faith in science but that is always governed by the limitations on the human mind. And the human mind has a habit of changing it's own viewpoint when scientific evidence supersedes itself and viewpoints/hypotheses/theories but that's all they are.

The universe is way too large to be fully comprehended by the human mind, and science in many ways is a fumbling around in a pitch black room for a solitary light switch. And the room is of a size unimaginable, infinite even.

I'm not saying that mankind shouldn't explore every possibility and aspire to know as much as it possibly can but that also applies to our own (unscientific) thoughts and musings about the purpose of life, why am I here etc etc.

I think it's equally ignorant not to fully examine both science and faith and here in the west we have sanitised religion and tried to remove all mystery from it. Move east and even Christianity has far more mysticism and depth to contemplate. One doesn't have to delve into Buddhism or Hinduism to get to Shangri-la so to speak.

Going back to the question you asked me , can you provide a hypothesis backed up by fact and proof tested beyond all doubt of how the universe came into being from nothing? Would that be from a total void?

What are your views on the work of the Hadron collider and the possibilities of other dimensions?

You avoid the request yourself and double down on the level of proof you "require" from me. I'll ask again give me a tested hypothesis that demonstrates that your God is statistically likely.

As to the universe forming from a singularity, they have proven that mathematically it is feasible/likely - remember that the maths usually is proven before the observable results. To prove, beyond doubt, this theory it would take energy levels beyond what is available in total in our universe. The LHC is being run to at least test/prove/improve the underlying theory - remember scientific theory is actually something that is the closest known thing believed to be fact. Yes the current theory shows (relies on) other dimensions and I believe that the LHC is an awesome undertaking and may only be "bettered" by the LISA experiment.

It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring. - Carl Sagan

Is there a God? on 17:37 - Mar 17 with 1071 viewsAmbergambler

Is there a God? on 17:30 - Mar 17 by DJack

You avoid the request yourself and double down on the level of proof you "require" from me. I'll ask again give me a tested hypothesis that demonstrates that your God is statistically likely.

As to the universe forming from a singularity, they have proven that mathematically it is feasible/likely - remember that the maths usually is proven before the observable results. To prove, beyond doubt, this theory it would take energy levels beyond what is available in total in our universe. The LHC is being run to at least test/prove/improve the underlying theory - remember scientific theory is actually something that is the closest known thing believed to be fact. Yes the current theory shows (relies on) other dimensions and I believe that the LHC is an awesome undertaking and may only be "bettered" by the LISA experiment.

They're experimenting on Lisa??
Is there a God? on 17:47 - Mar 17 with 1059 viewslondonlisa2001

Is there a God? on 17:37 - Mar 17 by Ambergambler

They're experimenting on Lisa??

If anyone thinks I'm going to agree to be probed by a bunch of scientists at my age they've another thing coming, however big the bang...
Is there a God? on 20:27 - Mar 17 with 1013 viewsDieLoo

It all depends how you define god. If you have a stupid idea of what god is, then its easy not to believe in it.
Gode is the Danish word for god, from Old Norse góði, from the adjective góðr (“good”), from Proto-Indo-European *gÊ°edÊ°- (“to join, to unite”).
So god is quite literally good?
Something to divert us from our darker tendencies perhaps?
Most of the religions have a common goal in encouraging us to be selfless.
In motive, at least, I cant see that as being a bad thing. Its just a shame that the message seems to have got lost along the way and religion these days is about anything but treating each other better.
Communism looked good on paper too.

"The way is in the heart, not in the sky."
Bhudda
Is there a God? on 20:54 - Mar 17 with 990 viewsLohengrin

Is there a God? on 16:44 - Mar 17 by Gowerjack

Nonsense man

How so? Tomorrow when I attend service countless Europeans will be doing that exact same thing from Connemara to the Ukraine, just as our forefathers have done for millennia. Beneath the cushion on the Chancel step where I will kneel there is a sword engraved, it marks the spot where Giraldus Cambrensis, Gerald of Wales, preached Crusade in the Spring of 1191.

The guiding hand of the past rests steady on the shoulder of the present. If you were there, Gwyr, you would feel its weight too. David Jones knew it, as did Saunders. Continuity. Belonging.

An idea isn't responsible for those who believe in it.

Is there a God? on 21:01 - Mar 17 with 977 viewslifelong

Is there a God? on 20:54 - Mar 17 by Lohengrin

How so? Tomorrow when I attend service countless Europeans will be doing that exact same thing from Connemara to the Ukraine, just as our forefathers have done for millennia. Beneath the cushion on the Chancel step where I will kneel there is a sword engraved, it marks the spot where Giraldus Cambrensis, Gerald of Wales, preached Crusade in the Spring of 1191.

The guiding hand of the past rests steady on the shoulder of the present. If you were there, Gwyr, you would feel its weight too. David Jones knew it, as did Saunders. Continuity. Belonging.

The Swans still lost today though.
Is there a God? on 21:08 - Mar 17 with 975 viewsLohengrin

Is there a God? on 21:01 - Mar 17 by lifelong

The Swans still lost today though.

I don’t think The Almighty can be blamed for that, really.

Is there a God? on 21:13 - Mar 17 with 965 viewsHumpty

Is there a God? on 20:54 - Mar 17 by Lohengrin

Where will you be worshipping tomorrow?
Is there a God? on 21:14 - Mar 17 with 962 viewsLohengrin

Is there a God? on 21:13 - Mar 17 by Humpty

Where will you be worshipping tomorrow?

Want to come?

Is there a God? on 21:15 - Mar 17 with 954 viewsHumpty

Is there a God? on 21:14 - Mar 17 by Lohengrin

Want to come?

I would but I'm washing my hair. Genuine question, I'm interested.
Is there a God? on 21:16 - Mar 17 with 950 viewsLohengrin

Is there a God? on 21:15 - Mar 17 by Humpty

I would but I'm washing my hair. Genuine question, I'm interested.

PM on the way in a minute.

Is there a God? on 21:20 - Mar 17 with 941 viewsHumpty

Is there a God? on 21:16 - Mar 17 by Lohengrin

PM on the way in a minute.

Thank you. I didn't know you were Catholic.
Is there a God? on 21:21 - Mar 17 with 936 viewsLohengrin

Is there a God? on 21:20 - Mar 17 by Humpty

Thank you. I didn't know you were Catholic.

Not Roman.

Is there a God? on 21:22 - Mar 17 with 933 viewsHumpty

Is there a God? on 21:21 - Mar 17 by Lohengrin

Not Roman.

Joking.
Is there a God? on 21:24 - Mar 17 with 924 viewsLohengrin

Is there a God? on 21:22 - Mar 17 by Humpty

Joking.

Is there a God? on 21:49 - Mar 17 with 904 viewsJack_Kass

I can never say it better than Mr. Fry

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/europe/stephen-fry-blasphemy-god-ireland

If there is a almighty power then it's the most evil, c**t of a thing in existence.

Poll: FA Cup or Premier League

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024