Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Is there a God? 22:41 - Mar 16 with 5262 viewsBrynCartwright

Is there a God?

Your Vote:

You need to be logged in to vote on our site polls

Poll: Artificial Crowd Noise for Premier League and Champiionship Games is...

Is there a God? on 23:15 - Mar 16 with 3148 viewslifelong

Only if we stay up, win the FA Cup and Cardiff fail to come up.
Is there a God? on 23:23 - Mar 16 with 3134 viewsJacksawayatWalesgame

Why isn't there a "Don't know" option for us Agnostics ?
Is there a God? on 23:30 - Mar 16 with 3122 viewsPrivate_Partz

Who knows? If quantum physics / mechanics pans out the way it is looking at the moment it will be far greater than any God the various religions have portrayed.

You have mission in life to hold out your hand, To help the other guy out, Help your fellow man. Stan Ridgway

Is there a God? on 23:42 - Mar 16 with 3108 viewsSwanjaxs

Is there a God? on 23:23 - Mar 16 by JacksawayatWalesgame

Or a "don't give a fùck" option for us atheists 😂

You might think I've forgotten, but one day, when you least expect it, my time will come.
Poll: Celtic and Rangers should be fast tracked into the Championship ASAP

Is there a God? on 00:03 - Mar 17 with 3085 viewsBrynmill_Jack

Is there a God? on 23:30 - Mar 16 by Private_Partz

Who knows? If quantum physics / mechanics pans out the way it is looking at the moment it will be far greater than any God the various religions have portrayed.

Not if deemed via intelligent design

Each time I go to Bedd - au........................

Is there a God? on 02:50 - Mar 17 with 3028 viewsDJack

Is there a God? on 00:03 - Mar 17 by Brynmill_Jack

Not if deemed via intelligent design

Who "deems" that?!

Most(al) of the mainstream variants of scientific theory do not require a supreme being to get things "rolling" Please provide us with a tested hypothesis which demonstrates either in principle or statistically likely hood of a supreme being being the pro-genesis of our universe.

Also, based upon observed fact in the age of" science/verification", even if a "god" kicked things of they are no longer "here/listening".

It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring. - Carl Sagan

Is there a God? on 03:52 - Mar 17 with 3010 viewsSoberBaker

Yes, he works as an ambassador down the club on matchdays

AMOW

Is there a God? on 07:10 - Mar 17 with 2969 viewsBrynmill_Jack

Is there a God? on 02:50 - Mar 17 by DJack

Who "deems" that?!

Most(al) of the mainstream variants of scientific theory do not require a supreme being to get things "rolling" Please provide us with a tested hypothesis which demonstrates either in principle or statistically likely hood of a supreme being being the pro-genesis of our universe.

Also, based upon observed fact in the age of" science/verification", even if a "god" kicked things of they are no longer "here/listening".

Nobody has absolute proof in either standpoint, if that were the case this thread logically wouldn't exist. You can have faith in science but that is always governed by the limitations on the human mind. And the human mind has a habit of changing it's own viewpoint when scientific evidence supersedes itself and viewpoints/hypotheses/theories but that's all they are.

The universe is way too large to be fully comprehended by the human mind, and science in many ways is a fumbling around in a pitch black room for a solitary light switch. And the room is of a size unimaginable, infinite even.

I'm not saying that mankind shouldn't explore every possibility and aspire to know as much as it possibly can but that also applies to our own (unscientific) thoughts and musings about the purpose of life, why am I here etc etc.

I think it's equally ignorant not to fully examine both science and faith and here in the west we have sanitised religion and tried to remove all mystery from it. Move east and even Christianity has far more mysticism and depth to contemplate. One doesn't have to delve into Buddhism or Hinduism to get to Shangri-la so to speak.

Going back to the question you asked me , can you provide a hypothesis backed up by fact and proof tested beyond all doubt of how the universe came into being from nothing? Would that be from a total void?

What are your views on the work of the Hadron collider and the possibilities of other dimensions?

Each time I go to Bedd - au........................

Login to get fewer ads

Is there a God? on 08:24 - Mar 17 with 2922 viewsMo_Wives

At this point the no vote is 66.7%...very close to 666. Hmmm

Good luck, Mr Cooper

Is there a God? on 08:46 - Mar 17 with 2901 viewsDr_Winston

Is there a God? on 07:10 - Mar 17 by Brynmill_Jack

Nobody has absolute proof in either standpoint, if that were the case this thread logically wouldn't exist. You can have faith in science but that is always governed by the limitations on the human mind. And the human mind has a habit of changing it's own viewpoint when scientific evidence supersedes itself and viewpoints/hypotheses/theories but that's all they are.

The universe is way too large to be fully comprehended by the human mind, and science in many ways is a fumbling around in a pitch black room for a solitary light switch. And the room is of a size unimaginable, infinite even.

I'm not saying that mankind shouldn't explore every possibility and aspire to know as much as it possibly can but that also applies to our own (unscientific) thoughts and musings about the purpose of life, why am I here etc etc.

I think it's equally ignorant not to fully examine both science and faith and here in the west we have sanitised religion and tried to remove all mystery from it. Move east and even Christianity has far more mysticism and depth to contemplate. One doesn't have to delve into Buddhism or Hinduism to get to Shangri-la so to speak.

Going back to the question you asked me , can you provide a hypothesis backed up by fact and proof tested beyond all doubt of how the universe came into being from nothing? Would that be from a total void?

What are your views on the work of the Hadron collider and the possibilities of other dimensions?

You don't have "faith" in science. You formulate theories based on the available evidence and invite other scientists to punch holes in it if they can. If that evidence changes then so does the hypothesis.

That's pretty much the polar opposite to having faith, which requires deliberate ignorance or dismissal of facts and critique to maintain belief.

Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair, or f*cking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.

Is there a God? on 08:52 - Mar 17 with 2889 viewsepaul

Is there b*locks, religion is a load of sh*te and a way of controlling gullible mugs

The hair and the beard have gone I am now conforming to society, tis a sad day The b*stards are coming back though

Is there a God? on 08:56 - Mar 17 with 2884 viewsJackfath

Is there a God? on 08:52 - Mar 17 by epaul

Is there b*locks, religion is a load of sh*te and a way of controlling gullible mugs

I am tending to agree with this.

It depends which religion you follow as to which God you believe in. Why are there many, many Gods?

Young children "believe" in Father Christmas.

POSTER OF THE YEAR 2013. PROUD RECIPIENT OF THE SECOND PLANET SWANS LIFETIME ACHIEVEMENT AWARD.
Poll: Should Darran's ban be lifted?

Is there a God? on 09:08 - Mar 17 with 2864 viewsjackportis

Have any students been offended by this thread. Have to be careful with topics like this. As far as I’m aware when we all converted to become Muslims we will have to believe.

Jackportis the brand. “A gifted poster”, “planet swans have a real talent on their hands in the name of Jackportis” sky sports 2018. . JP fully supports posters of LBG, mx orientation and ethnic minority groups. Update - now fully supporting the pansexual community.

Is there a God? on 09:11 - Mar 17 with 2857 viewsLohengrin

“The Eucharist is the central, unifying act of western civilisation.”

David Jones CH, CBE. 1895 - 1974. Soldier - Poet - Artist.

An idea isn't responsible for those who believe in it.

Is there a God? on 09:14 - Mar 17 with 2843 viewsMo_Wives

Is there a God? on 08:52 - Mar 17 by epaul

You wouldn't say that if you'd seen what I'd seen.

Good luck, Mr Cooper

Is there a God? on 09:20 - Mar 17 with 2830 viewsMo_Wives

Is there a God? on 08:56 - Mar 17 by Jackfath

It depends which religion you follow as to which God you believe in. Why are there many, many Gods?

Can I just point out, the question 'Is there a God?' is not the same as 'Are religions used to control gullible mugs?'. The answer to both can be the same.

Good luck, Mr Cooper

Is there a God? on 09:59 - Mar 17 with 2780 viewsMo_Wives

Is there a God? on 08:56 - Mar 17 by Jackfath

I didn't mean to quote you in the last post Mr F.

But to make a point about your post. We have many religions who believe in God/s. Most of those have certain similar traits to the stories...

Some sort of creation story
Beings, not of this earth, popping in and out for a cup of tea and a chat.
These beings often mating with human women and having hybrid off spring.
Some sort of Serpent/Dragon name appearing
There are also many cultures from around the world with a flood story.

Whether true or false, over thousands of years the same story could come through very distant cultures to end up sounding like different stories of different Gods, yet still be referring to the same root story.

Incidentally, we also have a group of people who today have a set of beliefs which share the same key points. UFO believers. The difference being they present their beliefs through a naturalistic/materialistic world view while the ancient stories came through their world view which allowed the supernatural.

Good luck, Mr Cooper

Is there a God? on 10:22 - Mar 17 with 2756 viewssP7qupUf

Open to discussion.

There was a guy I spoke to once. He was an agnostic, dyslexic,insomniac and he lay awake at nights wondering is there was a dog.

I'll get my coat!!
Is there a God? on 10:29 - Mar 17 with 2749 viewsyescomeon

I'd like there to be a don't know option for the agnostics. I classify myself as agnostic, because you can never really know. To say there isn't a god is almost as bad as to say there is one. I definitely lean towards there not being one, but someone has proposed the idea of there being one (or many) and it can't really be disproved so we are stuck with this idea. What always troubled me is the idea that there is just one god, it always seemed very strange that there would be just one, and somehow a whole race of gods would be more palatable to me.

I was raised as a Catholic, and up to about high school it was a very big part of my life. I'm not sure if I ever believed it, but I was happy enough to go along with it. In a way I think of myself as "ethnically Catholic". I'm not sure if that is an accepted idea or not, but it's a though I have about myself. Despite no longer being a practising Catholic nor believing in a god I do feel I have some kind of connection or point of reference with other people raised Catholic. In the same way I would with another person raised in Wales.

Upthecity!

Is there a God? on 10:37 - Mar 17 with 2737 viewsWarwickHunt

I’ve just checked the calendar and apparently it’s 2018.

People still hold these medieval beliefs?
Is there a God? on 11:00 - Mar 17 with 2712 viewsMo_Wives

Is there a God? on 10:37 - Mar 17 by WarwickHunt

I’ve just checked the calendar and apparently it’s 2018.

People still hold these medieval beliefs?

Yes, but on the Chinese calendar it's the year of the ass.

Good luck, Mr Cooper

Is there a God? on 11:20 - Mar 17 with 2680 viewszedlep

No. Don’t be silly.

Zedzdead

Is there a God? on 11:21 - Mar 17 with 2676 viewsAmbergambler

There's only one sure way to find out........

And if there is a Heaven, will it be like Swansea.....only bigger?
Is there a God? on 11:36 - Mar 17 with 2662 viewsLeonWasGod

Is there a God? on 23:23 - Mar 16 by JacksawayatWalesgame

Did you hear about the dyslexic, agnostic insomniac?

Lay awake all night wondering if there was a dog.

Fk it, just seen this has been done. My favourite joke too
[Post edited 17 Mar 2018 11:39]
Is there a God? on 11:40 - Mar 17 with 2653 viewsNogginthenog

No.

Happy to help.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024