Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Check your boiler condensate pipe isn't frozen 10:56 - Mar 18 with 4118 viewsswanforthemoney

Especially if it's on an east facing wall, with this cold east wind. The drain pipe for the condensate from he boiler drips constantly. It's on the outside wall where the boiler is. This weather can freeze it up and cause the the boiler to stop working.
Worth a check.

I stand in the North Stand

Check your boiler condensate pipe isn't frozen on 11:47 - Mar 18 with 4063 viewsmax936

Was called out to quite a few during the first beast from the east, managed to explain to one or two over the phone as well.

People hear the boiler rumbling banging etc and think its coming off the wall
[Post edited 18 Mar 2018 11:48]

Poll: Will it Snow this coming Winter

Check your boiler condensate pipe isn't frozen on 12:04 - Mar 18 with 4046 viewsjedijack

Check your boiler condensate pipe isn't frozen on 11:47 - Mar 18 by max936

Was called out to quite a few during the first beast from the east, managed to explain to one or two over the phone as well.

People hear the boiler rumbling banging etc and think its coming off the wall
[Post edited 18 Mar 2018 11:48]

Mine froze a few weeks ago. Only had the boliler fitted last year, internally the job was fab, outside the pipe was pushed through 2 roof tiles, popping one tile up, and it wasn't lagged.

Called the boiler fitter the morning it happened, he didn't give a toss to be fair. Told me to cut the condensation pipe from the bottom of the boiler and put a bucket there. I wouldn't have been too adverse to the idea, other than the boiler being in the loft!

Called the roofer that fixed the popped tile last summer, he was at the house within half an hour. Within the hour the heating was back on and the pipe was lagged. He asked for £20, I gave him £40. Well worth it for sorting out the cold wife noise. :)

So anyway Steve, would you know somebody good to service my boiler in the next month or so? I'd have gone back to the installer until the shenanigans the other week, now I refuse to give him another penny.
Check your boiler condensate pipe isn't frozen on 12:13 - Mar 18 with 4029 viewsmax936

Check your boiler condensate pipe isn't frozen on 12:04 - Mar 18 by jedijack

Mine froze a few weeks ago. Only had the boliler fitted last year, internally the job was fab, outside the pipe was pushed through 2 roof tiles, popping one tile up, and it wasn't lagged.

Called the boiler fitter the morning it happened, he didn't give a toss to be fair. Told me to cut the condensation pipe from the bottom of the boiler and put a bucket there. I wouldn't have been too adverse to the idea, other than the boiler being in the loft!

Called the roofer that fixed the popped tile last summer, he was at the house within half an hour. Within the hour the heating was back on and the pipe was lagged. He asked for £20, I gave him £40. Well worth it for sorting out the cold wife noise. :)

So anyway Steve, would you know somebody good to service my boiler in the next month or so? I'd have gone back to the installer until the shenanigans the other week, now I refuse to give him another penny.

Pm me where you are

Check your boiler condensate pipe isn't frozen on 17:14 - Mar 18 with 3927 viewsLoyal

I check mine every time I shower.
I have to say the first time the Dr did it I was apprehensive, but I've been back five times since.
Excellent advice OP.

Nolan sympathiser, clout expert, personal friend of Leigh Dineen, advocate and enforcer of porridge swallows. The official inventor of the tit w@nk.
Poll: Who should be Swansea number 1

Check your boiler condensate pipe isn't frozen on 17:33 - Mar 18 with 3901 viewsPrivate_Partz

There is a gizmo that can be fitted inside your house that stops the water trickling out through the pipes and freezing. Particularly useful for those with extra long outlet pipes (ooo errrr matron).
Apparently these pipes were fitted when we had decades of mild winters and no one thought this problem would arise. Now we have the Beasts from the East we have an issue.
As you can see from the above this is a very non technical viewpoint but help is available to stop those having ro climb ladders with kettles of boiling water.....

You have mission in life to hold out your hand, To help the other guy out, Help your fellow man. Stan Ridgway

Check your boiler condensate pipe isn't frozen on 17:45 - Mar 18 with 3885 viewsmax936

Check your boiler condensate pipe isn't frozen on 17:33 - Mar 18 by Private_Partz

There is a gizmo that can be fitted inside your house that stops the water trickling out through the pipes and freezing. Particularly useful for those with extra long outlet pipes (ooo errrr matron).
Apparently these pipes were fitted when we had decades of mild winters and no one thought this problem would arise. Now we have the Beasts from the East we have an issue.
As you can see from the above this is a very non technical viewpoint but help is available to stop those having ro climb ladders with kettles of boiling water.....

When I fitted our boiler I was able to pipe it straight into a wastepipe internally got small utility area where the Washing machine is so it was a simple and obvious choice.

Check your boiler condensate pipe isn't frozen on 19:07 - Mar 18 with 3828 viewsPrivate_Partz

Check your boiler condensate pipe isn't frozen on 17:45 - Mar 18 by max936

When I fitted our boiler I was able to pipe it straight into a wastepipe internally got small utility area where the Washing machine is so it was a simple and obvious choice.

I have moved house now and thought mine only had a little half incher or so sticking out the wall.
After reading your post though I checked and indeed I have a pipe running to an internal waste as well.
In the old house the pipe dropped about 20 foot from near the apex of the roof. They used to come down like spears when defrosting. The gizmo cured all that.

You have mission in life to hold out your hand, To help the other guy out, Help your fellow man. Stan Ridgway

Check your boiler condensate pipe isn't frozen on 19:25 - Mar 18 with 3816 viewsmax936

Check your boiler condensate pipe isn't frozen on 19:07 - Mar 18 by Private_Partz

I have moved house now and thought mine only had a little half incher or so sticking out the wall.
After reading your post though I checked and indeed I have a pipe running to an internal waste as well.
In the old house the pipe dropped about 20 foot from near the apex of the roof. They used to come down like spears when defrosting. The gizmo cured all that.

That condensation water is corrosive its got to be piped into the waste water foul drain system the By-laws don't allow it to just empty out on to grass or floor, if it cannot go into the foul drain system it has to be piped to a specially designed pot that's made for that purpose. that 3/4 pipe must go into an 1"1/4 or 1"1/2 pipe after comes out of wall, I think a short a piece into the soil stack is allowed.
Not thinking of the Blow off pipe are you? although that has to be piped so that it comes out through the wall and piped so that it sprays against the wall if its above 1500mm so that it doesn't land on any person as that water is expansion water and hot, either that or piped down wall to ground level.

Condensate pipework is plastic and is 3/4" off boiler.
The blow would be copper and 15mm or 1/2" if you work in old money
[Post edited 18 Mar 2018 19:48]

Login to get fewer ads

Check your boiler condensate pipe isn't frozen on 19:38 - Mar 18 with 3804 viewsswanforthemoney

Check your boiler condensate pipe isn't frozen on 17:14 - Mar 18 by Loyal

I check mine every time I shower.
I have to say the first time the Dr did it I was apprehensive, but I've been back five times since.
Excellent advice OP.

Thanks.
An icicle was forming where mine was dripping.

I stand in the North Stand

Check your boiler condensate pipe isn't frozen on 21:45 - Mar 18 with 3736 viewsdickythorpe

Check your boiler condensate pipe isn't frozen on 19:25 - Mar 18 by max936

That condensation water is corrosive its got to be piped into the waste water foul drain system the By-laws don't allow it to just empty out on to grass or floor, if it cannot go into the foul drain system it has to be piped to a specially designed pot that's made for that purpose. that 3/4 pipe must go into an 1"1/4 or 1"1/2 pipe after comes out of wall, I think a short a piece into the soil stack is allowed.
Not thinking of the Blow off pipe are you? although that has to be piped so that it comes out through the wall and piped so that it sprays against the wall if its above 1500mm so that it doesn't land on any person as that water is expansion water and hot, either that or piped down wall to ground level.

"blow off pipe"
Check your boiler condensate pipe isn't frozen on 22:33 - Mar 18 with 3704 viewsPrivate_Partz

Yup. I mistook my blow off pipe for my condensation pipe. In the old house they could not get the condensation pipe into the stack as it was cast iron so ran a separate plastic pipe into the drain.
In my new house the CP runs to an internal plastic stack.
Learning all the time. Cheers :>

Check your boiler condensate pipe isn't frozen on 22:41 - Mar 18 with 3697 viewsmax936

Check your boiler condensate pipe isn't frozen on 22:33 - Mar 18 by Private_Partz

Yup. I mistook my blow off pipe for my condensation pipe. In the old house they could not get the condensation pipe into the stack as it was cast iron so ran a separate plastic pipe into the drain.
In my new house the CP runs to an internal plastic stack.
Learning all the time. Cheers :>

The correct term is pressure relief pipe which is connected to a pressure relief valve if that's running regularly then there's a problem with the internal expansion vessel incorporated inside the boiler, although they can be external to the boiler also.

Just an explanation for Dicky as he's getting himself into a lather with excitement

Check your boiler condensate pipe isn't frozen on 23:07 - Mar 18 with 3666 viewsFergal

Keep your heating on a low level.
Check your boiler condensate pipe isn't frozen on 23:27 - Mar 18 with 3653 viewsjack_lord

When I had a new boiler fitted in my Ystrad house, the plumber ran a narrow pipe for the condensate into a pretty shitty "soak away" he created. I had a new plumber do the gas safety this year and he said it was completely wrong and should be piped to the foul drain system with the correct size pipe.

How is a consumer supposed to know what's right Steve?

Lord_Jack increasingly detached from the riches of kicking a ball
Poll: The E U : Stay or Leave

Check your boiler condensate pipe isn't frozen on 00:03 - Mar 19 with 3627 viewstheloneranger

Check your boiler condensate pipe isn't frozen on 17:33 - Mar 18 by Private_Partz

That gizmo is called a "Condensate Trace Heater Kit"

They're easy to fit, and come in different lengths, all depending on the length of the condensate pipe

Everyday above ground ... Is a good day! 😎

Check your boiler condensate pipe isn't frozen on 07:29 - Mar 19 with 3582 viewswaynekerr55

Mine froze last year, half the pipe was lagged! Since I've lagged it it's not frozen again thankfully!

How many of you know what DP stands for?
Poll: POTY 2019
Blog: Too many things for a title, but stop with the xenophobia accusations!

Check your boiler condensate pipe isn't frozen on 13:47 - Mar 19 with 3493 viewsSTID2017

Happened to me last November.
Thought the boiler had packed in (it's 4 years old Baxi) but turned out to be relatively simple (when you get a plumber who knows what they are doing)
As an aside I have a macerating loo with a part of the waste pipe outside. Even though it's lagged that can cause major problems if it freezes (which it's done twice)

"Sanity and happiness are an impossible combination" - Mark Twain
Poll: Who Would You Want As Captain For Swans ?

Check your boiler condensate pipe isn't frozen on 17:59 - Mar 19 with 3433 viewsmax936

Check your boiler condensate pipe isn't frozen on 23:27 - Mar 18 by jack_lord

When I had a new boiler fitted in my Ystrad house, the plumber ran a narrow pipe for the condensate into a pretty shitty "soak away" he created. I had a new plumber do the gas safety this year and he said it was completely wrong and should be piped to the foul drain system with the correct size pipe.

How is a consumer supposed to know what's right Steve?

Great question Jas, you rely on a Tradesman to do the job properly and to the best of his abilities, I'd give him the opportunity to comeback and rectify his work Jas if he won't then tell him that you'll bill him for the cost.

Check your boiler condensate pipe isn't frozen on 18:50 - Mar 19 with 3403 viewsthe_oracle

Check your boiler condensate pipe isn't frozen on 17:59 - Mar 19 by max936

Great question Jas, you rely on a Tradesman to do the job properly and to the best of his abilities, I'd give him the opportunity to comeback and rectify his work Jas if he won't then tell him that you'll bill him for the cost.

Happened to ours last week. Put a hot water bottle on inside pipe and poured hot water on outside. Sorted.
Check your boiler condensate pipe isn't frozen on 19:14 - Mar 19 with 3381 viewsmax936

Check your boiler condensate pipe isn't frozen on 18:50 - Mar 19 by the_oracle

Happened to ours last week. Put a hot water bottle on inside pipe and poured hot water on outside. Sorted.

that's the best way to do it, providing you can access the total length of said pipework, that said you'd be very unlucky to have the pipe freeze right the way back to the boiler, its usually just as it exits the property with maybe a few inches inside depending on fall of cause and the pipework outside after that, I wouldn't use out and out boiling water though.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024