Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
The "Swansea Way"... 08:36 - Mar 19 with 5884 viewsHeadmaster

...or whatever you want to call it. Will we ever see this kind of football from us again? Arsenal and West Ham recently were great to watch, but do you think we can get our style back if Carvalhal is given backing in the summer?

The "Swansea Way"... on 09:08 - Mar 19 with 3616 viewsmagicdaps10

Think we will only get back to it if we appoint Martinez or someone who truly believes in the total passing game.

I dont think Carvalhal gets his teams playing football in this way, not too say that his style is not right for us today.

Was reading some lovely things about Fulham and their manager on the weekend, by all accounts they are playing some lovely stuff and certain pundits think they would be more suited to the premier league than the champ.

Main priority is to stay up this season, this before we can hope to get back to passing football. Stay up and this is where the big decision comes in.

Poll: Are the owners doing enough for Swansea City

N/A. on 09:11 - Mar 19 with 3615 viewsHuw57

The "Swansea Way"... on 09:08 - Mar 19 by magicdaps10

Think we will only get back to it if we appoint Martinez or someone who truly believes in the total passing game.

I dont think Carvalhal gets his teams playing football in this way, not too say that his style is not right for us today.

Was reading some lovely things about Fulham and their manager on the weekend, by all accounts they are playing some lovely stuff and certain pundits think they would be more suited to the premier league than the champ.

Main priority is to stay up this season, this before we can hope to get back to passing football. Stay up and this is where the big decision comes in.

N/A.
[Post edited 18 Jul 2018 22:41]

Poll: Do you want the Irish to get through?

The "Swansea Way"... on 09:27 - Mar 19 with 3581 viewsmagicdaps10

N/A. on 09:11 - Mar 19 by Huw57

N/A.
[Post edited 18 Jul 2018 22:41]

Its deja vue all over again.

Guidolin, Clement and now Carlvahal. The previous two done their job and done it well but only to be let down with the sale of their two best players and then players brought in at a rush.

Two big decisions IF we stay up.
1. Do we stick with Carlos or do we get a manager who wants to play the Swansea way
2. The board need to add to what we have here NOT sell our better players. Sell the dead wood and use from that.

The "Swansea Way"... on 11:02 - Mar 19 with 3514 viewsMrSwerve

Maybe I'm in the minority but if the results are right, then the style is right.

Can't believe we had people on here calling for us to go down to League One for a 'reset' to the squad and passing style. We haven't always played pretty football.

Poll: Decision day - who wins the PL title?

The "Swansea Way"... on 11:08 - Mar 19 with 3509 viewsLeonWasGod

The "Swansea Way"... on 11:02 - Mar 19 by MrSwerve

Maybe I'm in the minority but if the results are right, then the style is right.

Can't believe we had people on here calling for us to go down to League One for a 'reset' to the squad and passing style. We haven't always played pretty football.

I can tolerate percentage football for results, but not for long. Monk's time being a good example - I ddi't enjoy that season despite it being our best in the PL.

Madness wanting us to go down though.
The "Swansea Way"... on 11:31 - Mar 19 with 3470 viewsA_Fans_Dad

I think that with the limited abilities of some of our players that we are playing a "passing game" when we can.
It is pretty disastrous to play it poorly against the likes of the top 6 teams if you just continually give away the ball.
The "Swansea Way"... on 12:16 - Mar 19 with 3407 viewsmonmouth

We lost that Newcastle game 2-0 no? With next to no threat on goal. So I hope we don't go back to that.

Poll: TRUST MEMBERS: What DID you vote in the, um, vote

The on 13:10 - Mar 19 with 3329 viewsHeadmaster

The "Swansea Way"... on 12:16 - Mar 19 by monmouth

We lost that Newcastle game 2-0 no? With next to no threat on goal. So I hope we don't go back to that.

I thought we beat them 3-0, but that was a different game. Interestingly, we had 65% possession in the game we won. It really does depend on what you do with it. A combination of possession and attacking flair was superb to watch.
Login to get fewer ads

The on 13:21 - Mar 19 with 3292 viewsDwightYorkeSuperstar

Considering many were fawning over our performance against Huddersfield (where we were outshot 30-0, 19% possession) like it was the second coming of that first half against West Bromwich, I think it's very unlikely we'll ever return to that standard of football. Why set such expectations when the majority of the fan base is fine with the sort of performances we're seeing recently away from home.
[Post edited 19 Mar 2018 13:27]

Poll: Should MP for Swansea East Carolyn Harris resign?

The on 13:29 - Mar 19 with 3272 viewsDippy

Our front three are simply not cut out for it, our fullbacks are not good enough, and our midfield apart from Ki have no idea or ability to carry it out
[Post edited 19 Mar 2018 13:29]

Poll: Cooper Out

The on 14:22 - Mar 19 with 3203 viewsvetchonian

The on 13:21 - Mar 19 by DwightYorkeSuperstar

Considering many were fawning over our performance against Huddersfield (where we were outshot 30-0, 19% possession) like it was the second coming of that first half against West Bromwich, I think it's very unlikely we'll ever return to that standard of football. Why set such expectations when the majority of the fan base is fine with the sort of performances we're seeing recently away from home.
[Post edited 19 Mar 2018 13:27]

Dwight give it a rest.
Nobody was fawning over the "level" of performance it was more the fact even down to 10 men we got a result...The Huddersfield game was a must not lose affair had we done so Huddersfiled would now be above us and also after last weekends results we would be back in the bottom 3.Maybe Carlos should have gone gung ho as he did at Brighton and come away with us losing by 3 or 4 goals.
I doubt if those first 45 mins agsainst WBA will ever be repeated and in fact the architect of that failed to do so again during his tenure with all the quality available to him.
What I want is to secure our PL place over the remaining games and then hope for some good recruitment in the summer....then maybe we can start to build again. Regarding Saturdays performance I am dissapointed we didnt appear to try...we may have been better plating some of the U23 if we were frightened of risking players rather than opting to not contest!

Poll: Will CCFC win a game this season?

The "Swansea Way"... on 14:49 - Mar 19 with 3169 viewsTheResurrection

And there's no one out there that would be guaranteed to get that decision right

Same as it was with Guido, same with Clement. It's also not as easy as to say keep our best players, it's facking embarrassing to keep reading that bullshit. Every player that wants to go pretty much does, no matter what team you support. You have to understand this or you'll keep on making a fool of yourself.

It's a balancing act of quite some degree and a lot of luck is needed along the way.

Let's put this to you right now. You are the Chairman, this is your scenario, what would YOU do?

Carlos keeps us up but Martinez is available and would come back.
Mawson hands in a transfer request.

I know all you do all day and every day is play that Manager game on your play station but come on, let's hear a case, a plausible and realistic case for what decisions you'd make.

* BOX OFFICE POST ABOVE* TM I am the resurrection and i am the light. I couldn’t ever bring myself to hate you as i’d like
Poll: Is it time for the Trust to make change happen?

The "Swansea Way"... on 14:54 - Mar 19 with 3159 viewsTheResurrection

And you all need to learn this also.

It's not the Swansea Way, it's never been the Swansea Way.

It was Martinez' Way or Rodgers Way, or Laudrup's Way so in other words the Managers Way.

If any of you think that if any club in this league appoints a manager because they play this way AND that it would guarantee success, then you've got another think coming.

It really isn't as simple as that.

* BOX OFFICE POST ABOVE* TM I am the resurrection and i am the light. I couldn’t ever bring myself to hate you as i’d like

The "Swansea Way"... on 14:59 - Mar 19 with 3145 views34dfgdf54

Martinez came in when we were in league one, and signed players which suited the way he wanted to play down to the ground. For me, he pretty much changed our whole way of play within a season, scouting unknown players along with Reeves from abroad and we worked our way up through league one and the championship using the same philosophy. Martinez worked miracles if you ask me.

On the flipside thouugh, it couldn't happen now, we haven't got the playing staff to play in the way he would want, and he wouldn't be given the time needed now we are in the Premier League, too much money at stake.
The "Swansea Way"... on 15:07 - Mar 19 with 3129 viewsmagicdaps10

The "Swansea Way"... on 14:59 - Mar 19 by 34dfgdf54

Martinez came in when we were in league one, and signed players which suited the way he wanted to play down to the ground. For me, he pretty much changed our whole way of play within a season, scouting unknown players along with Reeves from abroad and we worked our way up through league one and the championship using the same philosophy. Martinez worked miracles if you ask me.

On the flipside thouugh, it couldn't happen now, we haven't got the playing staff to play in the way he would want, and he wouldn't be given the time needed now we are in the Premier League, too much money at stake.

Top post.

The Premier league will not give you any margin of error and any mistake will gobble you up and spit you out. It is paramount that mistakes that are made are not made again........this is the worrying thing at our club at present.

Survival is the main objective in the premier league and any total change of style would realistically need to be made in the Championship, it can be done in the Premier league with the right mind set and for me, we dont have the right mind set at the club.

The "Swansea Way"... on 15:08 - Mar 19 with 3130 viewsvetchonian

The "Swansea Way"... on 14:49 - Mar 19 by TheResurrection

And there's no one out there that would be guaranteed to get that decision right

Same as it was with Guido, same with Clement. It's also not as easy as to say keep our best players, it's facking embarrassing to keep reading that bullshit. Every player that wants to go pretty much does, no matter what team you support. You have to understand this or you'll keep on making a fool of yourself.

It's a balancing act of quite some degree and a lot of luck is needed along the way.

Let's put this to you right now. You are the Chairman, this is your scenario, what would YOU do?

I know all you do all day and every day is play that Manager game on your play station but come on, let's hear a case, a plausible and realistic case for what decisions you'd make.

OK I'll bite

Firstly Martinez would not be recruitrd as he has failed at PL level...my view as chairman (and hopefully the real present incumbant ) is that whilst thankful for putting us on the road he isnt the manager we now need and put sentiment away
Hopefully as chairman seeing how Alfie has been developing and the potential of interest in him form top clubs I would have already have several targets in mind for replacing him but also trying to do do a deal to retasin him....and by the way a request does not have to be agreed to..maybe discuss doing the deal in January to allow a replacement to be brought in etc.If he wants to throw his dummy out of the pram it wont help him!

Poll: Will CCFC win a game this season?

The "Swansea Way"... on 17:04 - Mar 19 with 3056 viewsswanforthemoney

Given our limited resources compared to the rest of the Premier League, I'm not sure we could recruit the quality to play 'the Swansea Way' and win matches.
It was always a bit of a myth anyway, wasnt it? We could be bloody awful at times playing the passing game, especially if someone came and shut up shop against us.
Carlos will do just fine for the time being. He has a spark about him even though we are often dull away from home.

I stand in the North Stand

The "Swansea Way"... on 17:14 - Mar 19 with 3029 viewsmagicdaps10

Whatever way we decide to go, IF we stay up then the summer has to see some positivity from the board.

I dont think the fans or the manager deserve a third summer of groundhog day.

The "Swansea Way"... on 17:15 - Mar 19 with 3027 viewslondonlisa2001

That's a good question.

You should make it:

Carlos keeps us up.
The owners make £30m available plus whatever we can generate.

Manager and squad - what would you do.
The "Swansea Way"... on 17:27 - Mar 19 with 3006 viewsoldgrey

The problem with the "Swansea Way" as played under Martinez and others, is eventually you get found out and teams set up to confound it.
During the early period we were one of the few teams playing that beautiful football and constantly baffled the lower league cloggers.
As the style became more familiar, other teams either adopted it wholesale or adopted a game plan to negate it.
Certainly, in the EPL today no manager is going to allow another team time to ponce around playing flamenco football.
Football moves on
I like Carvahal because he genuinly seems to be looking for a new playing style. Not always pretty, but hopefully effective.
The "Swansea Way"... on 17:47 - Mar 19 with 2961 viewsmagicdaps10

He has adapted the 3-5-2 system to add a bit more fluidity in the middle of the park too suit the players at his diposle.
The holder, muscle and the forward runner on the left, the second striker drops back in support of the right wing back.....very very clever.
When you think 3-5-2, you always think a 3 man line in midfield, one possibly being the attacking option. The system he has the team playing takes hell of a lot of discipline and organisation in the middle of the park.

The "Swansea Way"... on 17:49 - Mar 19 with 2955 viewsDr_Winston

Sell Mawson but only at a comparable price to comparable players.

Tell Martinez to f*ck off.

Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair, or f*cking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.

The "Swansea Way"... on 20:56 - Mar 19 with 2797 viewsTheResurrection

The "Swansea Way"... on 17:49 - Mar 19 by Dr_Winston

Sell Mawson but only at a comparable price to comparable players.

Tell Martinez to f*ck off.

Ha. Well it didn't have to be Martinez although if you believed some he was touted to come back in the Summer.

Use Rodgers instead then.

The "Swansea Way"... on 21:18 - Mar 19 with 2769 viewsDr_Winston

Honest answer is I'd keep Carvalhal. For the same reasons I advocated keeping both Guidolin and Clement. He's earned the right to start a season on an even keel given the job he's done since he took over.

Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair, or f*cking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.

The "Swansea Way"... on 21:58 - Mar 19 with 2729 viewsMrSwerve

The "Swansea Way"... on 21:18 - Mar 19 by Dr_Winston

Honest answer is I'd keep Carvalhal. For the same reasons I advocated keeping both Guidolin and Clement. He's earned the right to start a season on an even keel given the job he's done since he took over.

Yep, the turnaround has been unbelievable. Especially if he manages to get us safe with games to spare.

It would be insane to let him go.

Poll: Decision day - who wins the PL title?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024