Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Cambridge Analytica 13:11 - Mar 20 with 4510 viewsLohengrin

Reading and listening to the endless procession of old gang Labour and Conservative pundits and politicos bidding to outdo one another in a crescendo of rehearsed outrage I’m struggling to keep a straight face.

Has the penny started to drop yet? The reason for all the wailing and gnashing of teeth is that somebody has come up with a far more effective means of manipulating public opinion than they have in their arsenal.

Entitlement undermined. That’s what you are watching and seeing today.

An idea isn't responsible for those who believe in it.

Cambridge Analytica on 20:54 - Mar 20 with 1805 viewsJACKMANANDBOY

I am amazed that there is so much ignorance about how much data is used and how it is used. If you buy anything on line and tick the terms and conditions box then you are agreeing to share data with a network of organisations and their partners.

The spread of information means that we all need to be able to think more critically and understand the difference between opinions, stories and evidence and be able to recognise assumptions, evaluate arguments and draw conclusions. Essential skills for the modern age.

Besian Idrizaj Forever a Jack
Poll: When will Duff Revert to 4 at the Back

Cambridge Analytica on 21:09 - Mar 20 with 1788 viewsDwightYorkeSuperstar

Cambridge Analytica on 19:19 - Mar 20 by Humpty

I don't know a lot about the whole thing Tummer but the issue is whether the way the data was collected was legal or not.

Some are saying it wasn't in this most recent case. We'll need an investigation to find out.

Did the Dems do anything illegal in 2012? I don't know. If they did then you and Dwight have a point. If they didn't then its just deflection.

They did the same thing that is going on now. Through their official sign up page that somebody else brought up, they gathered data from 1,000,000 users, however they then mined through the friends of these 1,000,000 to gather data on a total of 15,000,000 users. Often browsing through each individual profile, looking for example friends of the person in order to target them and collect their data as well, despite the friends never agreeing or even knowing about it.

From what I've read today it was legal in America however Facebook never let anybody else do it except the Democratic party because they wanted Obama to win. EU laws are different and the same thing being done here may be illegal. I hope everyone who broke any laws, whether it be Trump's team, Obama's team, Labour or the Conservatives are prosecuted.

Poll: Should MP for Swansea East Carolyn Harris resign?

Cambridge Analytica on 21:38 - Mar 20 with 1761 viewsHumpty

Cambridge Analytica on 21:09 - Mar 20 by DwightYorkeSuperstar

They did the same thing that is going on now. Through their official sign up page that somebody else brought up, they gathered data from 1,000,000 users, however they then mined through the friends of these 1,000,000 to gather data on a total of 15,000,000 users. Often browsing through each individual profile, looking for example friends of the person in order to target them and collect their data as well, despite the friends never agreeing or even knowing about it.

From what I've read today it was legal in America however Facebook never let anybody else do it except the Democratic party because they wanted Obama to win. EU laws are different and the same thing being done here may be illegal. I hope everyone who broke any laws, whether it be Trump's team, Obama's team, Labour or the Conservatives are prosecuted.

So what Obama's team did was not illegal?

Thanks Dwight.
Cambridge Analytica on 06:47 - Mar 21 with 1701 viewsKilkennyjack

Cambridge Analytica on 19:14 - Mar 20 by PozuelosSideys

Labour. They are miles ahead of the Tories in the manipulation of social media platforms in order to swing opinions and votes in their favour (all totally above board and legal)

Putting party politics aside, this is about control. The powers that be dont like the idea that the manipulation of the masses can be bought on the market for a fee. And it works. The status quo has been threatened.

Well most of the English Tory party are in their 70’s and are more likely to have a carer than a pc.

You know, like Perch.

Beware of the Risen People

Cambridge Analytica on 08:00 - Mar 21 with 1677 viewsoh_tommy_tommy

I thought Russia was behind all things trump in the election.

I guess that was more fake news

Poll: DO you support the uk getting involved in Syria

Cambridge Analytica on 08:11 - Mar 21 with 1669 viewsMo_Wives

Cambridge Analytica on 08:00 - Mar 21 by oh_tommy_tommy

Well said, Thomas.

Good luck, Mr Cooper

Cambridge Analytica on 08:15 - Mar 21 with 1667 viewsAnotherJohn

I have no idea of the demography of Facebook users, but my guess is that voters who supported so-called populist candidates or movements would be less likely to be users than their 'progressive' opponents.
Cambridge Analytica on 08:18 - Mar 21 with 1667 viewsBatterseajack

Why is it either or? Is it inconceivable that both stollen survey data used by Cambridge Analytica to target adds, smear campaigns and fake news to a receptive audience and also Russian twitter bots were used to support trumps campaign?

Whether they were necessary to win the election is another question.
Login to get fewer ads

Cambridge Analytica on 08:49 - Mar 21 with 1646 viewsHumpty

Cambridge Analytica on 08:18 - Mar 21 by Batterseajack

Why is it either or? Is it inconceivable that both stollen survey data used by Cambridge Analytica to target adds, smear campaigns and fake news to a receptive audience and also Russian twitter bots were used to support trumps campaign?

Could be.

http://uk.businessinsider.com/cambridge-analytica-trump-russia-ties-2018-3?r=US&
Cambridge Analytica on 09:32 - Mar 21 with 1626 viewsLeonWasGod

I don't think influence from home and from overseas are mutually exclusive. Not that I really care too much as there's feck all we can do about the US.
Cambridge Analytica on 11:46 - Mar 21 with 1604 viewsacejack3065

the person who stole the data for Cambridge Analytica was a Russian by the name of Aleksandr Kogan. He also received academic funding from the Kremlin. So it's another Russian connection.
Cambridge Analytica on 11:48 - Mar 21 with 1602 viewsacejack3065

Cambridge Analytica on 19:02 - Mar 20 by HCMC

And wasn’t Labour only losing by a million odd votes last year put down to their use of social media?

The Labour Party didn't steal private information through facebook to conspire to lose an election
Cambridge Analytica on 12:21 - Mar 21 with 1591 viewsLohengrin

Cambridge Analytica on 11:48 - Mar 21 by acejack3065

The Labour Party didn't steal private information through facebook to conspire to lose an election

They put Diane Abbott up as a spokeswoman instead.

An idea isn't responsible for those who believe in it.

Cambridge Analytica on 13:24 - Mar 21 with 1570 viewsacejack3065

Cambridge Analytica on 12:21 - Mar 21 by Lohengrin

They put Diane Abbott up as a spokeswoman instead.

Best Shadow Home Sec ever!
Cambridge Analytica on 21:27 - Mar 21 with 1518 viewsWarwickHunt

Cambridge Analytica on 08:18 - Mar 21 by Batterseajack

If it was stollen it was probably Germans.
Cambridge Analytica on 21:43 - Mar 21 with 1504 viewslonglostjack

Cambridge Analytica on 21:27 - Mar 21 by WarwickHunt

Poll: Alcohol in the lockdown

Cambridge Analytica on 21:48 - Mar 21 with 1499 viewsexiledclaseboy

Cambridge Analytica on 21:27 - Mar 21 by WarwickHunt

Even Stan Boardman would have thought twice about using that one.

Poll: Tory leader

Cambridge Analytica on 23:02 - Mar 21 with 1477 viewsWarwickHunt

Cambridge Analytica on 21:48 - Mar 21 by exiledclaseboy

Even Stan Boardman would have thought twice about using that one.

*torte twice*
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024