Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
De la Rue 15:28 - Mar 22 with 6251 viewsNogginthenog

Nice of the government to give the tender for a new British passport to the French. The spirit of our EU partnership obviously overrides the importance of securing British jobs.
Well done Teresa.
De la Rue on 20:55 - Mar 22 with 2264 viewsLeonWasGod

De la Rue on 18:22 - Mar 22 by londonlisa2001

You can't blame it even remotely on the EU. It's nothing to do with the EU.

But they're the baddies. Nigel told us this was so!!
De la Rue on 21:03 - Mar 22 with 2243 viewssherpajacob

De la Rue on 20:28 - Mar 22 by Uxbridge

Admittedly I'm only going by what Radio 2 tells me, but I'm not sure that's technically correct. Once the UK privatised passports, they were bound by EU competition rules.

Now, we could ask why the UK privatised when the likes of France did not, so they can keep their passports in house. And we could ask whether it would be any different under WTO rules, or any other Trade deal as it goes, rather than EU rules... And probably not by the sounds of it.

The chap from De La Rue when interviewed was a complete fraud anyway. Decrying the fact that British passports will be heading offshore when his company handles passport creation for over 40 countries. Hypocritical beyond belief.

So privatisation is the reason.

It's Maggie's fault.

What do the nasty party make of that?

Poll: Your favourite ever Swans shirt sponsor?

De la Rue on 23:10 - Mar 22 with 2180 viewsKerouac

De la Rue on 19:34 - Mar 22 by londonlisa2001

Haven't seen any rejoicing.

I assume you won't mind a reduction in your own working standards and pay and benefits to allow your employer to compete with companies from countries that employ people on a dollar a day? Nor the huge increase in net immigration that would allow salaries to be driven down to a globally competitive level? Or are you in favour of some protectionism?

I back myself and so should the rest of the UK.

I don't have an employer.

I favour a race to the top in order to compete with companies from other countries.
Be Hi-Tech.
Be innovative.
Do something different and sell yourself/your product/your services to the growing middle classes in the high growth economies of the World...which 'aint in the EU.

Having control of immigration and ceasing the unnecessary busing in of low skilled EU workers to perform roles our low skilled workers can do will help those at the bottom of the ladder earn more, in fact.
Which is a mild form of protectionism I suppose.

Tell me, by the sounds of it you must have been an ambitious go getter on your way up.
When did you get so timid?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ss9VZ1FHxy0
Poll: Which manager should replace Russell Martin (2) ?

De la Rue on 23:26 - Mar 22 with 2184 viewslondonlisa2001

De la Rue on 23:10 - Mar 22 by Kerouac

I back myself and so should the rest of the UK.

I don't have an employer.

I favour a race to the top in order to compete with companies from other countries.
Be Hi-Tech.
Be innovative.
Do something different and sell yourself/your product/your services to the growing middle classes in the high growth economies of the World...which 'aint in the EU.

Having control of immigration and ceasing the unnecessary busing in of low skilled EU workers to perform roles our low skilled workers can do will help those at the bottom of the ladder earn more, in fact.
Which is a mild form of protectionism I suppose.

Tell me, by the sounds of it you must have been an ambitious go getter on your way up.
When did you get so timid?

I'm not timid.

And I would favour a race to the top. However, the reality will be a race to the bottom.

The recruitment of low skilled EU workers undoubtedly has an impact on our own workers. The issue I have, is that I genuinely don't believe the alternative to be anything other than the recruitment of low skilled workers from other countries.
De la Rue on 23:46 - Mar 22 with 2164 viewsKerouac

De la Rue on 19:50 - Mar 22 by sherpajacob

You and pikey appear to have voted for something quite different, despite you both knowing exactly what you voted for.

There is some truth in what you say, although these dichotomies always exist in politics...2 people who vote for a government might hold different visions of what they are voting for.
The difference here, and it goes to the heart of what Brexit is truly about...sovereignty...is that post Brexit what I voted for and what Pikey voted for are both perfectly possible, whereas inside the EU none of us get what we want.

Not me,
not pikey,
not Corbyn,
not the Tories,
not the SNP & Plaid (true independence is impossible inside the EU, they are merely proposing switching 1 master...a master who thinks like us, speaks like us and listens to us...for another Franco/German master who would think of us as an irrelevance and would have no reason whatsoever to listen to us and concede on anything).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ss9VZ1FHxy0
Poll: Which manager should replace Russell Martin (2) ?

De la Rue on 07:23 - Mar 23 with 2118 viewsKilkennyjack

De la Rue on 23:46 - Mar 22 by Kerouac

There is some truth in what you say, although these dichotomies always exist in politics...2 people who vote for a government might hold different visions of what they are voting for.
The difference here, and it goes to the heart of what Brexit is truly about...sovereignty...is that post Brexit what I voted for and what Pikey voted for are both perfectly possible, whereas inside the EU none of us get what we want.

Not me,
not pikey,
not Corbyn,
not the Tories,
not the SNP & Plaid (true independence is impossible inside the EU, they are merely proposing switching 1 master...a master who thinks like us, speaks like us and listens to us...for another Franco/German master who would think of us as an irrelevance and would have no reason whatsoever to listen to us and concede on anything).

Blair said that in his 9 years as PM, the nice European people never asked him to do anything he did not want to do, zero examples.

We could have had blue passports anytime....
And as france just proved with india, you can do deals whilst in the EU.

Give us one example ?

And certainly the EU supported wales financially as the uk govt policies have made us one if the poorest regions in Europe.

Welsh and European.

Beware of the Risen People

De la Rue on 08:58 - Mar 23 with 2084 viewsNogginthenog

De la Rue on 18:48 - Mar 22 by Nogginthenog

Where's the other thread?

Maybe I was being a bit naive in assuming that despite the undercutting by the French we might want to enter into the spirit of Brexit and resecure our Britain first mentality as promisedby our illustrious leaders.
De la Rue on 09:20 - Mar 23 with 2073 viewsJango

De la Rue on 08:58 - Mar 23 by Nogginthenog

Maybe I was being a bit naive in assuming that despite the undercutting by the French we might want to enter into the spirit of Brexit and resecure our Britain first mentality as promisedby our illustrious leaders.

The EU doesn’t allow that.
Login to get fewer ads

De la Rue on 09:38 - Mar 23 with 2057 viewsUxbridge

De la Rue on 09:20 - Mar 23 by Jango

And neither do WTO rules and it's very unlikely any bespoke trade deals would either.

The moment the Tories privatised passport creation, this was always a possibility. There's the answer, re-nationalise them or cite national security requirements, just like France and Germany do.
[Post edited 23 Mar 2018 9:41]

Blog: Whose money is it anyway?

De la Rue on 09:46 - Mar 23 with 2040 viewsBatterseajack

De la Rue on 09:20 - Mar 23 by Jango

or under WTO. But what would be the point of inviting a french company to join the tender process only to not pick them when they offer the best price.
De la Rue on 10:17 - Mar 23 with 2030 viewswestwalesed

I voted Leave and I couldn't care remotely where the Passport is made!

It's facile to suggest that it's remotely important.

Poll: Live in a country with no internet?

De la Rue on 10:25 - Mar 23 with 2023 viewsJango

De la Rue on 09:38 - Mar 23 by Uxbridge

And neither do WTO rules and it's very unlikely any bespoke trade deals would either.

The moment the Tories privatised passport creation, this was always a possibility. There's the answer, re-nationalise them or cite national security requirements, just like France and Germany do.
[Post edited 23 Mar 2018 9:41]

Ye I’m not disputing that mate. Just pointing out that while it’s privatised and we’re in the EU, WTO or whatever, we were never able to give De La Rue the better deal. Not that we should anyway.
De la Rue on 10:51 - Mar 23 with 2003 viewsShaky

De la Rue on 18:29 - Mar 22 by Nogginthenog

I fully appreciate the need to save public money, but on the other side of the coin it flies in the face of British jobs for British workers. The government claims it is playing by the rules but I doubt our European colleagues would play the same game. The ceo of the company has asked Amber Rudd and Teresa May to meet with the workers, I wonder if they will accept the offer.

I haven't followed this story in any detail whatsoever.

But I struggle to believe that that any British jobs are at stake, certainly in the medium term.

London has a thriving security printing sector. They make an absolute mint knocking up prospectuses, shareholder circulars, tender documents, research notes, etc, for Investment Banks, borkers, etc based in the City.

I strongly suspect their attitude would be why give up lucrative business with the financial sector to take on low margin work for the government? No thanks.

This is not undercutting by the French, but a reflection of the rich pickings available in London.

For now.

Of course once passporting ends and the City substantially relocates to the single market, they will be scratching around for business. And the jobs will go.

How great is that?
[Post edited 23 Mar 2018 10:54]

Misology -- It's a bitch
Poll: Greatest PS Troll Hunter of all time

De la Rue on 11:09 - Mar 23 with 1987 viewslondonlisa2001

De la Rue on 10:51 - Mar 23 by Shaky

I haven't followed this story in any detail whatsoever.

But I struggle to believe that that any British jobs are at stake, certainly in the medium term.

London has a thriving security printing sector. They make an absolute mint knocking up prospectuses, shareholder circulars, tender documents, research notes, etc, for Investment Banks, borkers, etc based in the City.

I strongly suspect their attitude would be why give up lucrative business with the financial sector to take on low margin work for the government? No thanks.

This is not undercutting by the French, but a reflection of the rich pickings available in London.

For now.

Of course once passporting ends and the City substantially relocates to the single market, they will be scratching around for business. And the jobs will go.

How great is that?
[Post edited 23 Mar 2018 10:54]

That's not the business De La Rue are in.

They don't print prospectuses, they print bank notes, and passports, and ID cards and even, I think, our driving licenses. For our government and other governments.

They were undercut because they assumed they'd have to be awarded the contract and were caught out.
De la Rue on 11:13 - Mar 23 with 1985 viewslondonlisa2001

De la Rue on 20:28 - Mar 22 by Uxbridge

Admittedly I'm only going by what Radio 2 tells me, but I'm not sure that's technically correct. Once the UK privatised passports, they were bound by EU competition rules.

Now, we could ask why the UK privatised when the likes of France did not, so they can keep their passports in house. And we could ask whether it would be any different under WTO rules, or any other Trade deal as it goes, rather than EU rules... And probably not by the sounds of it.

The chap from De La Rue when interviewed was a complete fraud anyway. Decrying the fact that British passports will be heading offshore when his company handles passport creation for over 40 countries. Hypocritical beyond belief.

Ah. So we could have cited national security in 2009 but effectively gave up our right to do that subsequently?
De la Rue on 11:38 - Mar 23 with 1966 viewsShaky

De la Rue on 11:09 - Mar 23 by londonlisa2001

They don't print prospectuses, they print bank notes, and passports, and ID cards and even, I think, our driving licenses. For our government and other governments.

They were undercut because they assumed they'd have to be awarded the contract and were caught out.

Really?

We always used another firm when I was active in the City, but I am pretty certain De la Rue also did that sort of thing.

But they may well have spun that line of business off. And certainly technology will have changed industry dynamics considerably in the intervening period.

Misology -- It's a bitch
Poll: Greatest PS Troll Hunter of all time

De la Rue on 11:48 - Mar 23 with 1962 viewslondonlisa2001

De la Rue on 11:38 - Mar 23 by Shaky

Really?

We always used another firm when I was active in the City, but I am pretty certain De la Rue also did that sort of thing.

But they may well have spun that line of business off. And certainly technology will have changed industry dynamics considerably in the intervening period.

Don't know whether they do a tiny amount but certainly not their core business.

They have a big factory in the North East where there may, it appears, be job losses as a result of this although they are seemingly going to appeal the decision for what that's worth. The UK passport contract was worth about half a billion quid. Should have bid properly in the first place.

The business you mention, (secure printing for the City etc) is on its ars*e anyway as a lot of stuff they used to do is now online. Hardly any annual reports are now printed (you have to do a few in case someone wants one, but most shareholders elect to receive them electronically). And brokers' notes etc are now just done in house as everyone has high speed printers these days.

Still send prospectuses out.
De la Rue on 12:20 - Mar 23 with 1944 viewsUxbridge

De la Rue on 11:13 - Mar 23 by londonlisa2001

Ah. So we could have cited national security in 2009 but effectively gave up our right to do that subsequently?

I've seen two paths cited today depending on what you read/listen to - either don't privatise at all or simply invoke national security.

Either way, the Government could have easily avoided this situation if it chose to.

Bit like Brexit really

De la Rue on 12:41 - Mar 23 with 1922 viewslondonlisa2001

De la Rue on 12:20 - Mar 23 by Uxbridge

I've seen two paths cited today depending on what you read/listen to - either don't privatise at all or simply invoke national security.

Either way, the Government could have easily avoided this situation if it chose to.

Bit like Brexit really

I'd heard we could invoke national security at any time, which is why I said the EU didn't have anything to do with it.
That's why I was surprised to hear that wasn't the case.

But, as you say, the impirtant bit is that by whatever means, the government could do what it wanted to do. As is the case on so many things that are blamed on the EU by the Daily Mail and people like pikeypaul.
De la Rue on 12:52 - Mar 23 with 1913 viewsUxbridge

De la Rue on 12:41 - Mar 23 by londonlisa2001

I'd heard we could invoke national security at any time, which is why I said the EU didn't have anything to do with it.
That's why I was surprised to hear that wasn't the case.

But, as you say, the impirtant bit is that by whatever means, the government could do what it wanted to do. As is the case on so many things that are blamed on the EU by the Daily Mail and people like pikeypaul.

Must admit I hadn't been paying attention on the blue passports, but it did make me laugh that there is absolutely nothing stopping the UK having them now if they wanted to.

Democracy eh.

De la Rue on 13:00 - Mar 23 with 1903 viewssherpajacob

De la Rue on 10:17 - Mar 23 by westwalesed

I voted Leave and I couldn't care remotely where the Passport is made!

It's facile to suggest that it's remotely important.

I didn't speak out when the passport makers lost their jobs, because I wasn't a,passport maker.

Poll: Your favourite ever Swans shirt sponsor?

De la Rue on 13:00 - Mar 23 with 1902 viewslondonlisa2001

De la Rue on 12:52 - Mar 23 by Uxbridge

Must admit I hadn't been paying attention on the blue passports, but it did make me laugh that there is absolutely nothing stopping the UK having them now if they wanted to.

Democracy eh.

The problem about moving back to a blue passport is that one of the easiest ways to spot an utter prat when travelling is they've put their passport in one of those 'old passport' replica covers.

Normally also to be seen clutching a copy of the Daily Mail and wearing red trousers that finish 2 inches higher than the top of their shoes.
De la Rue on 18:18 - Mar 23 with 1816 viewstheloneranger

"Lords seek rethink on UK passport contract"

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-43512378

Everyday above ground ... Is a good day! 😎

De la Rue on 19:16 - Mar 23 with 1798 viewsexiledclaseboy

De la Rue on 11:09 - Mar 23 by londonlisa2001

Driving licences aren’t DeLa Rue (sorry), the new passport producing company, Gemalto, has been producing them for years. No one cared.

Poll: Tory leader

De la Rue on 19:28 - Mar 23 with 1786 viewslondonlisa2001

De la Rue on 19:16 - Mar 23 by exiledclaseboy

Driving licences aren’t DeLa Rue (sorry), the new passport producing company, Gemalto, has been producing them for years. No one cared.

My mistake.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024