Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Anyone got a solid wood worktop? 20:58 - Apr 3 with 4848 viewswaynekerr55

Hello comrades,

Has anyone got a solid oak worktop? If so what are your recommendations for upkeep? Is it best to use Danish oil or a mixture of Danish and tung oil?

Ours is installed in the next couple of weeks. I imagine the area around the tap is a pain in the arsene to look after

How many of you know what DP stands for?
Poll: POTY 2019
Blog: Too many things for a title, but stop with the xenophobia accusations!

Anyone got a solid wood worktop? on 21:00 - Apr 3 with 3651 viewsBrynmill_Jack

I'm not sure. I'll have to ask my butler...............

Each time I go to Bedd - au........................

Anyone got a solid wood worktop? on 21:02 - Apr 3 with 3640 viewsexiledclaseboy

We’ve got an oak dining table. The wife bought some oil. I’ve no idea of the national origin of said oil but I think she bought it from B and Q.

Happy to help.
[Post edited 3 Apr 2018 21:04]

Poll: Tory leader

Anyone got a solid wood worktop? on 21:36 - Apr 3 with 3588 viewswaynekerr55

Anyone got a solid wood worktop? on 21:02 - Apr 3 by exiledclaseboy

We’ve got an oak dining table. The wife bought some oil. I’ve no idea of the national origin of said oil but I think she bought it from B and Q.

Happy to help.

It's posts like this that bring a chuckle on even the most dark of days Clasey!

Anyone got a solid wood worktop? on 21:38 - Apr 3 with 3583 viewsDarran

Anyone got a solid wood worktop? on 21:02 - Apr 3 by exiledclaseboy

Happy to help.

3 In One?

The first ever recipient of a Planet Swans Lifetime Achievement Award.
Poll: Who’s got the most experts

Anyone got a solid wood worktop? on 21:42 - Apr 3 with 3576 viewsGowerjack

We have hardwood worktop at Gowerjack towers.

Danish oil,is what we use works well.

You may need to take the top of every few years using wire wool and white spirit then re oil.

Plastic since 1974
Poll: Is ECB for tyranny?

Anyone got a solid wood worktop? on 21:48 - Apr 3 with 3564 viewswaynekerr55

Anyone got a solid wood worktop? on 21:42 - Apr 3 by Gowerjack

You may need to take the top of every few years using wire wool and white spirit then re oil.

Thanks Mr The Gower Jack 😉

How do you prevent the staining around the tap/sink area? We're having a Belfast sink in our island. That's my biggest worry!

Anyone got a solid wood worktop? on 21:51 - Apr 3 with 3555 viewsNogginthenog

Anyone got a solid wood worktop? on 21:48 - Apr 3 by waynekerr55

How do you prevent the staining around the tap/sink area? We're having a Belfast sink in our island. That's my biggest worry!

Id never have a belfast sink recipe for back ache
Anyone got a solid wood worktop? on 21:53 - Apr 3 with 3548 viewsLoyal

Ive had solid wood on a work top.

Nolan sympathiser, clout expert, personal friend of Leigh Dineen, advocate and enforcer of porridge swallows. The official inventor of the tit w@nk.
Poll: Who should be Swansea number 1

Login to get fewer ads

Anyone got a solid wood worktop? on 21:54 - Apr 3 with 3546 viewsBanosswan

Anyone got a solid wood worktop? on 21:53 - Apr 3 by Loyal

I find a mixture of durex passionfruit flavour mixed with linament often provides a good friction to heat ratio.

Ever since my son was... never conceived, because I've never had consensual sex without money involved... I've always kind of looked at you as... a thing, that I could live next to... in accordance with state laws.
Poll: How do you like your steak?

Anyone got a solid wood worktop? on 21:56 - Apr 3 with 3543 viewsmax936

You having a mono bloc tap set or separate taps?

I'd drill the holes out for the taps and treat them half a dozen times before fitting taps etc,, I'm sure that you can get a purpose made mounting plate as well to help keep splashing/water away from the base of the taps, silicon the base down with a quality silicon somin like the CT stuff.

Poll: Will it Snow this coming Winter

Anyone got a solid wood worktop? on 22:02 - Apr 3 with 3529 viewsLoyal

Anyone got a solid wood worktop? on 21:54 - Apr 3 by Banosswan

I find a mixture of durex passionfruit flavour mixed with linament often provides a good friction to heat ratio.

Chafing ?

Nolan sympathiser, clout expert, personal friend of Leigh Dineen, advocate and enforcer of porridge swallows. The official inventor of the tit w@nk.

Anyone got a solid wood worktop? on 22:05 - Apr 3 with 3521 viewswaynekerr55

Anyone got a solid wood worktop? on 21:54 - Apr 3 by Banosswan

Anyone got a solid wood worktop? on 22:06 - Apr 3 with 3518 viewswaynekerr55

Anyone got a solid wood worktop? on 21:56 - Apr 3 by max936

You having a mono bloc tap set or separate taps?

I'd drill the holes out for the taps and treat them half a dozen times before fitting taps etc,, I'm sure that you can get a purpose made mounting plate as well to help keep splashing/water away from the base of the taps, silicon the base down with a quality silicon somin like the CT stuff.

Single mixer tap - will get the Danish oil on the go!

Anyone got a solid wood worktop? on 22:17 - Apr 3 with 3502 viewsexiledclaseboy

Seems like it would have been easier to have laminate worktops. Less ostentatious as well.

Poll: Tory leader

Anyone got a solid wood worktop? on 22:18 - Apr 3 with 3500 viewsBanosswan

Anyone got a solid wood worktop? on 22:02 - Apr 3 by Loyal

Chafing ?

Nope, gliding all the way

Ever since my son was... never conceived, because I've never had consensual sex without money involved... I've always kind of looked at you as... a thing, that I could live next to... in accordance with state laws.
Poll: How do you like your steak?

Anyone got a solid wood worktop? on 22:18 - Apr 3 with 3500 viewsjack2jack

Anyone got a solid wood worktop? on 21:53 - Apr 3 by Loyal

I knew that was coming,still made me chuckle though😀
Anyone got a solid wood worktop? on 22:20 - Apr 3 with 3492 viewsBrynmill_Jack

Anyone got a solid wood worktop? on 22:17 - Apr 3 by exiledclaseboy

Seems like it would have been easier to have laminate worktops. Less ostentatious as well.

F*cking peasant

Each time I go to Bedd - au........................

Anyone got a solid wood worktop? on 22:47 - Apr 3 with 3464 viewsmax936

Anyone got a solid wood worktop? on 22:17 - Apr 3 by exiledclaseboy

Granite every time Andrew, lasts keeps its look, usually watertight on joints and edges against walls etc, Surprisingly cheaper in long run as well. unless you drop somin heavy on it of course.

Poll: Will it Snow this coming Winter

Anyone got a solid wood worktop? on 22:57 - Apr 3 with 3452 viewsLord_Bony

Anyone got a solid wood worktop? on 22:47 - Apr 3 by max936

Granite every time Andrew, lasts keeps its look, usually watertight on joints and edges against walls etc, Surprisingly cheaper in long run as well. unless you drop somin heavy on it of course.

Agreed.

Doesn't natural wood absorb juices (@Loyal) and germs?

PROUD RECIPIENT OF THE THIRD PLANET SWANS LIFETIME ACHIEVEMENT AWARD. "Per ardua ad astra"
Poll: iS tHERE lIFE aFTER dEATH

Anyone got a solid wood worktop? on 23:02 - Apr 3 with 3439 viewsDJack

Anyone got a solid wood worktop? on 22:47 - Apr 3 by max936

...Like his wallet.

It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring. - Carl Sagan

Anyone got a solid wood worktop? on 23:54 - Apr 3 with 3404 viewsmajorraglan

We have Beech work tops/ Belfast sink and mixer tap combo, wife loves it I hate it.

Is this going to be your main sink or do you have a utility room with a sink? If it’s the main sink, I would suggest that you give the underside near the edge of the Belfast sink at least 6 coats before the sink goes in as you need to make sure the underneath stays dry. What you will probably find is when you turn the tap on, the hot water will come out smoothly with minimal splashing, but the cold water will splash everywhere and you will need to dry it with a tea towel. Washing dishes, food etc just creates more splashing and more drying!

As has been said, you need to keep on top of the maintenance and the wood needs to be done every 12 to 24 months depending on how it’s wearing, wire wool s good but I sometimes use very, very fine sand paper as well. The last time out I had to sand the tops back and start again applying 3 coats of danish oil, I use the Mylands stuff and purchase it direct.

It looks great, but it does need TLC.

Wish we had gone for something else!
Anyone got a solid wood worktop? on 00:01 - Apr 4 with 3396 viewsowainglyndwr

Anyone got a solid wood worktop? on 21:42 - Apr 3 by Gowerjack

Yep
Got to keep on top of it.
Anyone got a solid wood worktop? on 00:14 - Apr 4 with 3387 viewsBobby_Fischer

i have an oak coffee table?

Poll: Who should take over from Jenkins?

Anyone got a solid wood worktop? on 10:06 - Apr 4 with 3240 viewswaynekerr55

Anyone got a solid wood worktop? on 23:54 - Apr 3 by majorraglan

We have Beech work tops/ Belfast sink and mixer tap combo, wife loves it I hate it.

Is this going to be your main sink or do you have a utility room with a sink? If it’s the main sink, I would suggest that you give the underside near the edge of the Belfast sink at least 6 coats before the sink goes in as you need to make sure the underneath stays dry. What you will probably find is when you turn the tap on, the hot water will come out smoothly with minimal splashing, but the cold water will splash everywhere and you will need to dry it with a tea towel. Washing dishes, food etc just creates more splashing and more drying!

As has been said, you need to keep on top of the maintenance and the wood needs to be done every 12 to 24 months depending on how it’s wearing, wire wool s good but I sometimes use very, very fine sand paper as well. The last time out I had to sand the tops back and start again applying 3 coats of danish oil, I use the Mylands stuff and purchase it direct.

It looks great, but it does need TLC.

Wish we had gone for something else!

Thanks Major we'll mainly be using a dishwasher (*Clasey need not comment). We were looking at Granite & Quartz but couldn't quite stretch the budget. Is there a difference between the Danish oil or the Danish and Tung mixed oil?

Anyone got a solid wood worktop? on 10:07 - Apr 4 with 3234 viewsLoyal

Anyone got a solid wood worktop? on 00:14 - Apr 4 by Bobby_Fischer

i have an oak coffee table?

Yeah but its stained and cheap.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024