Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Syria World War 3 10:42 - Apr 11 with 77685 viewsLord_Bony

Is it about to kick off again?

PROUD RECIPIENT OF THE THIRD PLANET SWANS LIFETIME ACHIEVEMENT AWARD. "Per ardua ad astra"
Poll: iS tHERE lIFE aFTER dEATH

Syria World War 3 on 19:45 - Apr 11 with 2598 viewsShaky

Misology -- It's a bitch
Poll: Greatest PS Troll Hunter of all time

Syria World War 3 on 19:47 - Apr 11 with 2586 viewssammylee3

Syria World War 3 on 19:45 - Apr 11 by Shaky

Highly likely ....
https://www.zerohedge.com/news/2018-04-11/there-wasnt-single-corpse-russia-claim
Syria World War 3 on 19:55 - Apr 11 with 2571 viewslonglostjack

Syria World War 3 on 19:25 - Apr 11 by oh_tommy_tommy

Keep out of it
Get out of it
Stay out of it

Are we ever going to learn

I agree. We weren't so quick to come to the aid of the Kurds when they were being bombed by the Turks. Suddenly we're talking about standing shoulder to shoulder with our Allies.

Poll: Alcohol in the lockdown

Syria World War 3 on 20:09 - Apr 11 with 2555 viewsoh_tommy_tommy

Syria World War 3 on 19:55 - Apr 11 by longlostjack

I agree. We weren't so quick to come to the aid of the Kurds when they were being bombed by the Turks. Suddenly we're talking about standing shoulder to shoulder with our Allies.

We’ll be helping the jihadists , alquida and any other lunatic Islamic groups trying to get a bit of the pie.

Poll: DO you support the uk getting involved in Syria

Syria World War 3 on 20:23 - Apr 11 with 2539 viewsNogginthenog

This is a complex and very dangerous situation that could certainly erupt if Russian personnel are killed. If the Donald wants to strike, he should first provide evidence as requested by the Russians who are willing to allow inspectors to examine the area in question. Going gung ho on this will lead to even worse relations with the Russians which should be avoided. Another freeze in relations could be highly dangerous for us all.
Syria World War 3 on 20:56 - Apr 11 with 2494 viewsKilkennyjack

Syria World War 3 on 19:34 - Apr 11 by pikeypaul

Corbyn backing up Russia again.

I thought these lefties were supposed to be up for protecting
these civilians that have been gassed by Assad? but obviously not
if it’s against the wishes of his beloved Russia.

By feck he is scum.

Perhaps Corbyn wants us all to avoid WW3 ?

Strange that you might not understand that ...?

I am no Corbyn fan, but i had sort of planned to watch the swans, maybe have a short holiday, and cut the grass. I am not too keen on WW3.
Do you think thats a bit odd ?

Beware of the Risen People

Syria World War 3 on 20:56 - Apr 11 with 2496 viewsBytholWyn

I find it amazing that people in effect take the side of Russia and Assad on this. There's a big picture here - and that's the flagrant and repeated use of chemical weapons, as well as other conventional munitions, including barrel bombs and bunker piercing weapons to take out civilian hospitals. The use of chemical weapons used to be a no-no, but Obama's failure (instigated by the craven vote in Parliament) to enforce that red line years ago has directly led to the genocide that's being perpetrated in Syria. The only reason very limited action has been taken in the past is simply because the West don't want to get involved in another sectarian quagmire, which may of course help IS and the like. Any action taken now will be reluctant and in all probability proportionate.

The reason why action has to be taken now is because a new red line needs to be drawn - and the action needs to be on a bigger scale than previously - as the message clearly didn't get through last time. There are dangers of course, but there is a far bigger danger of not doing anything - namely the normalisation of the use of chemical weapons. People need to look beyond the moronic utterances of Trump and understand that sometimes action is simply necessary.
Syria World War 3 on 21:02 - Apr 11 with 2480 viewsnierika

Syria World War 3 on 19:47 - Apr 11 by sammylee3

Highly likely ....
https://www.zerohedge.com/news/2018-04-11/there-wasnt-single-corpse-russia-claim

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zero_Hedge
Login to get fewer ads

Syria World War 3 on 21:04 - Apr 11 with 2475 viewsNogginthenog

Syria World War 3 on 20:56 - Apr 11 by BytholWyn

I find it amazing that people in effect take the side of Russia and Assad on this. There's a big picture here - and that's the flagrant and repeated use of chemical weapons, as well as other conventional munitions, including barrel bombs and bunker piercing weapons to take out civilian hospitals. The use of chemical weapons used to be a no-no, but Obama's failure (instigated by the craven vote in Parliament) to enforce that red line years ago has directly led to the genocide that's being perpetrated in Syria. The only reason very limited action has been taken in the past is simply because the West don't want to get involved in another sectarian quagmire, which may of course help IS and the like. Any action taken now will be reluctant and in all probability proportionate.

The reason why action has to be taken now is because a new red line needs to be drawn - and the action needs to be on a bigger scale than previously - as the message clearly didn't get through last time. There are dangers of course, but there is a far bigger danger of not doing anything - namely the normalisation of the use of chemical weapons. People need to look beyond the moronic utterances of Trump and understand that sometimes action is simply necessary.

Even if said action leads to the incineration of us all ? No thanks.
Syria World War 3 on 21:12 - Apr 11 with 2459 viewsKilkennyjack

Are you going to go fight then ?

Syria World War 3 on 21:17 - Apr 11 with 2457 viewsoh_tommy_tommy

Take the sides

Nobody is taking sides here

Do you really think trump and may give a flying about people getting killed over there?

The US have been arming these rebels for years .

Refer

Iraq
Libya
And the absolute sh!t bomb this has caused.

Syria World War 3 on 21:37 - Apr 11 with 2440 viewspikeypaul

Bytholpol

You are wasting your time son.

Corbyn the leader of tommy’s little cult will side for 🇷🇺 over us all day long.

OUT AFLI SUCK IT UP REMOANER LOSERS 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧
Poll: Where wil Judas be sitting when we play Millwall?

Syria World War 3 on 21:38 - Apr 11 with 2439 viewssammylee3

Syria World War 3 on 21:37 - Apr 11 by pikeypaul

Bytholpol

UK'S DAILY TELEGRAPH NEWSPAPER SAYS BRITISH SUBMARINES HAVE BEEN ORDERED TO MOVE WITHIN MISSILE RANGE OF SYRIA IN READINESS FOR STRIKES AGAINST ASSAD REGIME THAT COULD BEGIN AS EARLY AS THURSDAY NIGHT: RTRS

utter madness, fake chemical attack by Al Qaeda, fake skripal attack
Syria World War 3 on 22:05 - Apr 11 with 2415 viewsoh_tommy_tommy

Syria World War 3 on 21:37 - Apr 11 by pikeypaul

Bytholpol

You want a war with Russia pixeypaul

Get out there and show them what you are made of son

Syria World War 3 on 22:10 - Apr 11 with 2401 viewssammylee3

Syria World War 3 on 22:05 - Apr 11 by oh_tommy_tommy

You want a war with Russia pixeypaul

Get out there and show them what you are made of son

she is having a cabinet meeting tomorrow to decide on strikes without a Parliament vote; on the back of likely fake evidence. Tories out
[Post edited 11 Apr 2018 22:11]
Syria World War 3 on 22:11 - Apr 11 with 2391 viewsJack_Meoff

The bigger picture is about the procurement of natural resources. Same as it ever was. If you think it’s about some f* king red line or any sense of altruism you can’t be helped.

Riddle me this - why hasn’t there been any outcry about the humanitarian crisis in Yemen that’s been going on for what, four years? We seem to be fine when any situation involves weapons the UK and the US has sold. The rank hypocrisy is astonishing.

It’s nothing to do with altruism and everything to do with natural resources. Same as it ever was. Red line; f*ck my eyes pink.

If you want a vision of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face--forever.

Syria World War 3 on 22:19 - Apr 11 with 2378 viewsKilkennyjack

Syria World War 3 on 22:11 - Apr 11 by Jack_Meoff

The bigger picture is about the procurement of natural resources. Same as it ever was. If you think it’s about some f* king red line or any sense of altruism you can’t be helped.

Riddle me this - why hasn’t there been any outcry about the humanitarian crisis in Yemen that’s been going on for what, four years? We seem to be fine when any situation involves weapons the UK and the US has sold. The rank hypocrisy is astonishing.

It’s nothing to do with altruism and everything to do with natural resources. Same as it ever was. Red line; f*ck my eyes pink.

They will be after our Welsh water next.

Oh hang on ....?

Syria World War 3 on 22:31 - Apr 11 with 2360 viewsNookiejack

Syria World War 3 on 19:34 - Apr 11 by pikeypaul

Corbyn backing up Russia again.

I thought these lefties were supposed to be up for protecting
these civilians that have been gassed by Assad? but obviously not
if it’s against the wishes of his beloved Russia.

By feck he is scum.

He is the leader of the Opposition.

Our own liberty depends on the Government being questioned and brought to account on issues. Especially as serious as this one.
Syria World War 3 on 22:33 - Apr 11 with 2358 viewsNookiejack

Syria World War 3 on 22:31 - Apr 11 by Nookiejack

He is the leader of the Opposition.

Our own liberty depends on the Government being questioned and brought to account on issues. Especially as serious as this one.

PS Corbyn has got a got it right on Iraq and Libya
Syria World War 3 on 22:35 - Apr 11 with 2353 viewsNookiejack

Syria World War 3 on 20:09 - Apr 11 by oh_tommy_tommy

We’ll be helping the jihadists , alquida and any other lunatic Islamic groups trying to get a bit of the pie.

Yers Al Qaeda the people who flew the planes into the twin towers - why Bush started the whole WAR on TERROR in the first place - over 15 years ago.
Syria World War 3 on 22:43 - Apr 11 with 2340 viewsNookiejack

http://hitchensblog.mailonsunday.co.uk/2018/04/the-guns-of-april-are-we-in-a-pre

"The Guns of April : Are we in a pre-War era, right now?
A pre-war era

My feeling that we are in a pre-war era, and are being prepared for that war almost every day, grows. I am not feeling especially well at the moment, and my days are tinged with a certain darkness anyway, despite the arrival of spring, but I cannot at any point in my life ever recall being gripped by such a feeling of impending, unavoidable disaster.

It began early on Sunday morning with claims of a gas attack in the suburbs of Damascus. Although the BBC were careful to state that the reports were unverified, my heart sank. The prominence being given to the story suggested that it didn’t much matter that they were not verified. Why lead a news bulletin on a main national material with unverified material, if you think verification matters a lot? Surely the old rule was ‘verify first’, then publish’?

Is it 1914 again?

I wearily resigned myself to the fact that at some point I would have to write what I am now writing, a warning that these claims have not been proven, may not be proven, and serve the end of those who desire to draw this country into a war. What sort of war? Well, I am horribly reminded of the summer of 1914.

Two major powers, Saudi Arabia and Iran, are irreconcilably hostile to each other. One of them, by aggressive diplomacy in proxy states, has created a state of grave tension between them which, if it goes much further, threatens to draw the great powers into open conflict. A single incident, by providing the basis for aggressive diplomacy, unacceptable demands and perhaps actual warlike violence, could trigger that war. If so, it will not be confined to the Middle East, because of the involvement of Russia in the dispute. Indeed, it may be Russia’s involvement in Syria, where it has frustrated Saudi Arabian designs and those of Saudi Arabia’s allies, such as the USA, this country and France, which triggered the considerable increase in tension in Ukraine which began to heat up in 2013.

A single incident could trigger war

Given the nature of the controversy about Ghouta today, even the events in Salisbury have a relevance to this, as does the mass expulsion of diplomats which followed that outrage, even though it has never actually been linked by indisputable evidence to the direct action of the Russian state.

War fever means the death of honest debate

Careful readers will also have noticed that the Labour leader has been facing increasing accusations from the Tory party of being a Russian stooge, in my view a breach of the moral code which allows freedom to live. If the Leader of the Opposition cannot oppose the government without being accused of some sort of fealty to a foreign power, then we are not free. I have no doubt something similar will soon be said of me. I find this worrying not because it is bone-headed and childish (though it is) but because it is a symptom of something very serious — the death of open, honest debate.This is an invariable symptom of a country whose elite is bent on war.

Idiot-proofing

So before I began, I knew I was going to have to idiot-proof it by showing (before they were made) that claims that I am some sort of stooge of the Damascus Government are false. Here http://hitchensblog.mailonsunday.co.uk/2013/08/my-response-to-allegations-that-i

…is the proof of that, a catalogue of my long record of severe criticism of the Assad state (such that I have never even sought a visa for Syria, on the assumption that it might be refused or, worse, that it might be granted and some sort of revenge taken on me once I arrived).

By the way, my fear of such accusations is not unfounded, as you may read here in an account of my dispute with the former Tory MP Brooks Newmark, during an earlier attempt to drag this country into intervening in Syria.

http://hitchensblog.mailonsunday.co.uk/2013/10/brooks-newmark-mp-the-syrian-regi

Mr Newmark, who has subsequently come to grief through his own folly in other matters, accused me of acting ‘in support of the Assad regime’.

https://hansard.parliament.uk/commons/2013-08-29/debates/1308298000001/SyriaAndT

I contacted him and politely asked him to withdraw, but he would not, and eventually my own then MP, the excellent Andrew Smith (a proper old-fashioned Honourable Gentleman who treated his constituents without fear or favour) was kind enough to make my rebuttal for me in the Commons, so ensuring that it was recorded in Hansard. But Mr Newmark never retracted.

https://hansard.parliament.uk/Commons/2013-10-14/debates/1310143000004/PointsOfO

No, not a Putin Patsy either

Now, despite my equally long record of criticism of Vladimir Putin, going back to 2004 , see http://hitchensblog.mailonsunday.co.uk/2014/11/getting-putin-right-but-russia-wr I have no doubt that some semi-literate will accuse me of being a ‘useful idiot’.This hackneyed and ill-understood Cold War term was never actually used by Lenin, as claimed. In any case it applies specifically to the dim fellow-travellers of Communism, who defended the USSR’s misdeeds because of ideological sympathy. This is an accusation that simply cannot be made against me. Russia has no ideology. And I am not a defender of, or a friend of, the Russian state.

I also knew I would have to republish this posting http://hitchensblog.mailonsunday.co.uk/2018/04/rushing-to-judgement-over-syria-s in my view a pretty arduous and definitive demonstration that the previous accusation of poison gas use by Assad’s forces had never been proven, though it had been made to look as if it had been. It is also, though I say it myself, fascinating in many ways, if you are interested in evidence at all.

That done, I was going to have to examine, patiently and dispassionately, the accounts of the latest alleged atrocities, and apply the same treatment to them. I cannot, alas, analyse them all. So I have chosen two left-wing papers. But I must also remind readers of the difficulty of sources for reports in these areas, where in general western journalists cannot safely go. This article (please note the interesting background of the doctor quoted) may help you understand just how difficult it is to get straight information under these circumstances

It is very hard to get straight facts out of war zones

http://hitchensblog.mailonsunday.co.uk/2017/04/peter-hitchens-our-noble-cause-dr

Some coverage of the Syria crisis examined

Here goes:

The Financial Times prominently quotes the words of others who *have* assumed the case is proven, such as President Trump and, apparently, the EU, both of whom are said to be calling for action. ‘Sentence first, verdict later’, as the King of Hearts says in ‘Alice in Wonderland’. But it is careful to say in its headline that it is an ‘alleged chemical attack’. And it uses the qualifying phrase ‘if confirmed’ , before saying it would then be the most serious since sarin gas *was* dropped in Khan Sheikhoun a year ago.

See what you think

It seems oddly unaware that this allegation remains in question, or that no independent observer ever investigated the site. Time does not turn an allegation into a proven fact, and the truth about this should not be forgotten. The FT’s story is datelined ‘Rebecca Collard in Beirut’. Beirut is 70 miles from the alleged attack, and in a separate country, even assuming she could have got to the scene in time or entered the very dangerous conflict zone involved, and also to ‘Courtney Weaver in Washington’, which is even further away from Ghouta than I am. The report cites as a source a body called the Syrian American Medical Society, whose website here https://www.sams-usa.net/who-we-are/ gives some indication that it may not be wholly neutral in Syrian matters. Click on ‘Our Advocacy’ and then on ‘Campaigns’ and see what you think.

The Guardian’s Page One story is from Martin Chulov, likewise 70 miles from the scene, in Beirut.

Moving

It is illustrated by a moving photograph of a child, eyes closed, with an oxygen mask over his face. The caption says he is ‘struggling to breathe after the attack”. No qualification is visible in this caption , in the headline (Outcry over chemical attack in Syria’), or in the opening paragraph, which uses the phrase ‘chemical strike’ and the word ‘atrocity’ without the word ‘alleged’ or ‘suspected’.

The picture is credited to Mouneb Taim, who I think must be the same person as the author of this Twitter feed:

https://twitter.com/mouneb_abo_taim

Why Verify if you've already made Your Mind up, and vice versa?

Interestingly, Mr Chulov’s story noted ‘[President] Trump demanded that access be opened to Douma, which is the last of three besieged districts in the Ghouta area of Damascus to remain under opposition control. Trump said access was necessary to verify what had happened and treat remaining victims.’ If he is so keen to verify, as indeed he should be, why is he calling President Assad an ‘animal’ and warning of a ‘big price to pay’? Surely such things should wait for the verification? Or does he know in advance what its verdict will be? By the way, it is worth noting that the Islamist group based in Douma is Jaysh-al-Islam, the 'Army of Islam' (which is not very nice, see: https://www.nytimes.com/2015/11/02/world/middleeast/syrian-rebels-say-caged-host ). I believe Jaysh (or Jaish) al Islam has had significant Saudi support. But the US administration in the past has been pretty unkeen about it. See these remarks by John Kerry: https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/global-opinions/kerry-touts-the-russian-

On page nine, the Guardian has a longer account from Kareem Shaheen — in Istanbul, 900 miles from Damascus.

It attributes to ‘aid workers and medics’ descriptions of ‘apocalyptic scenes’, and does use the word ‘alleged’. But I could not see a single named person quoted, just unidentified doctors, paramedics and a local journalist.

The Guardian Becomes the Warmonger’s Gazette

Remember, this is the Guardian, a newspaper which for decades was the house journal of ban-the-bombers and protestors against the Suez adventure and the Vietnam war, with very high proportions of Quakers, moth-eaten liberals and vegans among its readers. Yet now it has become a trumpet for armed intervention. Under the pious slogan ‘Comment is free…but facts are sacred’ first stated by its greatest editor C.P.Scott, the paper’s opinion column declares (again without the slightest qualification): ‘Syria's renewed use of chemical weapons against its own people at the weekend is shameless and barbaric. Dozens of people in the remaining rebel-held suburbs of Damascus were suffocated by Saturday's chemical attack on the Douma district. This is not the first time this has happened. Since the use of sarin at Khan al-Assal in 2013 there have been dozens of chemical attacks by the regime. These deliberate attacks on civilians show callous contempt for humanity and disregard for the laws of war. Official Syrian claims that the latest killings have been fabricated are beneath contempt.’

But if facts are sacred, how can the Guardian be so sure, given that it is relying on a report from one correspondent 70 miles away, and another one 900 miles away, however good they are at their jobs, and some anonymous quotes from people whose stories it has no way of checking?

Long-distance Psychiatry? A Breakthrough!

It recognises the problem that any such action by President Assad would be raving mad. Assad is on the verge of a highly significant victory in Ghouta, and a gas attack would provide the only realistic opportunity for an American intervention against him, about the only thing that could once again put his position in doubt. The Guardian isn't troubled by that. It argues: ‘Some may ask why, since the slow throttling of Damascus's eastern Ghouta suburbs seems to be approaching a grisly climax, the government feels any need to breach one of the oldest taboos in warfare once more. To answer that adequately it is necessary to delve into the darkest places of the psychology of a regime that celebrates the overwhelming use of force, the need to terrorise civilians and the right to punish opponents indiscriminately as a weapon of policy.’ In other words, yes, President Assad is mad. Well it is a point of view, but even if reporting of atrocities can be done accurately from a distance of 900 miles, I have heard of no attested experiments showing that psychiatry can be done at such distances."
Syria World War 3 on 22:54 - Apr 11 with 2330 viewsJoe_bradshaw

It’s never been about getting rid of bad men since the Second World War. It’s always been about having the friendly bad man in place who allows the west access to natural resources whilst we sell weapons to the friendly bad man so that he can remain in power.

If it was about getting rid of the bad man why did we allow Mugabe to continue his reign of terror? Not much oil in Zimbabwe so we weren’t interested.

Planet Swans Prediction League Winner Season 2013-14. Runner up 2014_15.
Poll: How many points clear of relegation will we be on Saturday night?

Syria World War 3 on 22:55 - Apr 11 with 2329 viewsLord_Bony

Assad knows full well that any chemical attack on his own civilians would be the end of him and his regime.

Do you really think he is stupid enough to launch an attack killing 40 civilians for no reason, most of them women and children?

The last "chemical attack" in 2013 was mysteriously carried out just a few yards from the hotel the UN inspectors were staying in...could he really have been that dumb?, we nearly swallowed the bait and went to war over that one...totally unproven even to this day.

What if the other side set off a chemical attack knowing the west would come to their aid in such an event if it could be blamed on the regime?

Wake up people, it's a false flag...again.

But if this turns ugly the implications could be far reaching for us all. All we can do is hope that the leaders of the West know what they are doing before they take action.

PROUD RECIPIENT OF THE THIRD PLANET SWANS LIFETIME ACHIEVEMENT AWARD. "Per ardua ad astra"
Poll: iS tHERE lIFE aFTER dEATH

Syria World War 3 on 23:05 - Apr 11 with 2316 viewsJack_Meoff

Syria World War 3 on 22:54 - Apr 11 by Joe_bradshaw

It’s never been about getting rid of bad men since the Second World War. It’s always been about having the friendly bad man in place who allows the west access to natural resources whilst we sell weapons to the friendly bad man so that he can remain in power.

If it was about getting rid of the bad man why did we allow Mugabe to continue his reign of terror? Not much oil in Zimbabwe so we weren’t interested.

Smashed it out of the park Joe.

If you want a vision of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face--forever.

Syria World War 3 on 23:12 - Apr 11 with 2303 viewsBytholWyn

So people choose to believe Russia and Assad over the bulk of opinion in the West and independent media sources. Do people seriously think that reducing Aleppo to rubble, and now Douma, is just a figment of a deluded Western imagination?

The genocide perpetrated by Assad would never have happened on the scale it has without the direct assistance of the Russians. Their actions in Crimea, North Ossetia, mainland Ukraine, shooting down the airliner, Livinenko, Skripal and Syria all show how profoundly untrustworthy Putin is. There are dangers of any intervention - which is why any intervention this time will probably be time limited - but probably be on a bigger scale than last time so that the penny drops for Assad. There comes a point when doing nothing is the worst option. We have reached that point.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024