Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Windrush 14:34 - Apr 16 with 22562 viewslondonlisa2001

What an absolutely sickening episode in the life of this country the current issue with the so-called Windrush children is.

These people arrived here as kids, their parents answering a call for help, they've lived here for 50 years, worked, paid taxes and national insurance, brought up their own families, and are now being deported or threatened.

It is shameful.
Windrush on 20:24 - Apr 17 with 2214 viewsFlashberryjack

Windrush on 20:08 - Apr 17 by Lohengrin

“There is no record of me.”

So no record of ever having contributed so much as a penny in tax or NI just a discarded slip that may say that A N Other could have pitched up at Tilbury Docks four decades ago?

Tell me what I’m missing? Explain to me how anybody could access pensions and healthcare without ever having made a contribution in exactly the same way as somebody who has worked their bollocks off in heavy industry all their life and paid every step of the way? How does that work?

Have to admit it is a bit strange.

Hello
Poll: Should the Senedd be Abolished

Windrush on 20:33 - Apr 17 with 2190 viewsexiledclaseboy

Windrush on 19:40 - Apr 17 by Lohengrin

“Albert Thompson, not his real name, has been here 44 years, working and paying taxes as a mechanic...

Can somebody help me out here please, tell me what I’m missing? If this chap is what he claims to be and has been paying into the system all these years then why has has he not just quoted his National Insurance number to access treatment with the NHS?

Something simply doesn’t ring true.

I think it more to do with the documentation they’re expected to provide. More info here:

“Thompson, who worked as a mechanic and paid taxes for three decades before he became ill, has never applied for a British passport because he thought he had no need to; the Jamaican passport he arrived with was lost many years ago. He has also struggled to prove his eligibility for housing support and is currently living in a hostel.”

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2018/mar/22/theresa-may-refuses-to-intervene

Poll: Tory leader

Windrush on 20:53 - Apr 17 with 2162 viewslondonlisa2001

Windrush on 20:33 - Apr 17 by exiledclaseboy

I think it more to do with the documentation they’re expected to provide. More info here:

“Thompson, who worked as a mechanic and paid taxes for three decades before he became ill, has never applied for a British passport because he thought he had no need to; the Jamaican passport he arrived with was lost many years ago. He has also struggled to prove his eligibility for housing support and is currently living in a hostel.”

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2018/mar/22/theresa-may-refuses-to-intervene

They seemingly have to produce two separate pieces of documentation (bank statements, utility bills etc) for each of the years they have been in the UK to prove continuous residence unless they have applied for a British passport or been formally naturalised.

I'd love to know how many on here could do that.
Windrush on 20:56 - Apr 17 with 2150 viewsNeath_Jack

Windrush on 20:24 - Apr 17 by Flashberryjack

Have to admit it is a bit strange.

There's a surprise

I want a mate like Flashberryjacks, who wears a Barnsley jersey with "Swans are my second team" on the back.
Poll: Would you support military action against Syria on what we know so far?

Windrush on 20:59 - Apr 17 with 2143 viewsbuilthjack

Windrush on 15:44 - Apr 16 by londonlisa2001

Well I personally believe that the hostility shown to asylum seekers is also shameful.

They are similarly easy targets.

The contribution made to this country by the Windrush generation will be mirrored by the contribution made by the current asylum seekers and their descendants. Watch the video on the BBC Wales site of those little Syrian kids speaking Welsh to each other in Cardigan. And their Dad volunteering and joining the football club. It's brilliant.

It's a nice story and good luck to them.

Swansea Indepenent Poster Of The Year 2021. Dr P / Mart66 / Roathie / Parlay / E20/ Duffle was 2nd, but he is deluded and thinks in his little twisted brain that he won. Poor sod. We let him win this year, as he has cried for a whole year. His 14 usernames, bless his cotton socks.

Windrush on 21:00 - Apr 17 with 2139 viewsexiledclaseboy

Windrush on 20:53 - Apr 17 by londonlisa2001

They seemingly have to produce two separate pieces of documentation (bank statements, utility bills etc) for each of the years they have been in the UK to prove continuous residence unless they have applied for a British passport or been formally naturalised.

I’m wondering what the criteria is for deciding who to ask to prove their eligibility when someone rocks up at the local hospital asking for treatment. I’ve never been asked.

Windrush on 21:04 - Apr 17 with 2125 viewsHumpty

Windrush on 20:53 - Apr 17 by londonlisa2001

That's absolutely ridiculous.

I certainly couldn't do it.
Windrush on 21:10 - Apr 17 with 2108 viewsJoe_bradshaw

Windrush on 21:04 - Apr 17 by Humpty

That's absolutely ridiculous.

I certainly couldn't do it.

Go back to wherever you came from, Hump.

Planet Swans Prediction League Winner Season 2013-14. Runner up 2014_15.
Poll: How many points clear of relegation will we be on Saturday night?

Login to get fewer ads

Windrush on 21:14 - Apr 17 with 2097 viewssherpajacob

Windrush on 19:40 - Apr 17 by Lohengrin

“Albert Thompson, not his real name, has been here 44 years, working and paying taxes as a mechanic...

Can somebody help me out here please, tell me what I’m missing? If this chap is what he claims to be and has been paying into the system all these years then why has has he not just quoted his National Insurance number to access treatment with the NHS?

Something simply doesn’t ring true.

https://www.hr.admin.cam.ac.uk/hr-services/relocating-uk/living-uk/healthcare/el

access to NHS treatment is nothing to do with NI contribution record. its about having residency, which he can't prove, because it has never previously been needed.

There was a chap on radio 2 today, who lost his job with a charity and couldn't get treatment for his diabetes, despite him being in receipt of an NHS pension from the time he worked for the NHS.

Seems like your taking Theresa May's side on this Loh?

Poll: Your favourite ever Swans shirt sponsor?

Windrush on 21:20 - Apr 17 with 2087 viewslondonlisa2001

Windrush on 21:00 - Apr 17 by exiledclaseboy

I’m wondering what the criteria is for deciding who to ask to prove their eligibility when someone rocks up at the local hospital asking for treatment. I’ve never been asked.

I was wondering that myself.

When they log you in, is there something which flags you up as a British citizen? I mean, I've never thought that there is, but I don't know how else this is being done. People like this man must be being flagged as non British? Otherwise how on earth do they know? Now I've thought about it in the past few days (after reading about this case), I guess there must be something, otherwise people from other countries wouldn't get charged back and so on (which does happen). Same with us when we are abroad I guess.
Windrush on 21:23 - Apr 17 with 2075 viewsexiledclaseboy

Windrush on 21:20 - Apr 17 by londonlisa2001

I was wondering that myself.

When they log you in, is there something which flags you up as a British citizen? I mean, I've never thought that there is, but I don't know how else this is being done. People like this man must be being flagged as non British? Otherwise how on earth do they know? Now I've thought about it in the past few days (after reading about this case), I guess there must be something, otherwise people from other countries wouldn't get charged back and so on (which does happen). Same with us when we are abroad I guess.

There must be some kind of criteria but as far as I know there’s no complete and unequivocal database containing the details of all U.K. citizens.

Windrush on 21:23 - Apr 17 with 2074 viewsJoe_bradshaw

Your address?

Windrush on 21:25 - Apr 17 with 2070 viewsexiledclaseboy

Windrush on 21:23 - Apr 17 by Joe_bradshaw

Your address?

They’re not being asked to prove where they live, they’re being asked to prove that they have leave to be in the U.K.

Windrush on 21:28 - Apr 17 with 2061 viewsDarran

They threatened to kick my wife out in 1994.

True story.

She was born in Toronto and came back with her Welsh mother when her parents split up who was from Port Talbot when she was three and before a certain date (something like 1975) you could only claim residency through your father (her father was French) and not your mother.
We had to go Lunar House in Croydon to meet with immigration officers and she had to go through the naturalisation process even though she’d been here for nearly 30 years and had been working in the DHSS office in Port Talbot and had signed some kind of privacy act.
[Post edited 17 Apr 2018 21:28]

The first ever recipient of a Planet Swans Lifetime Achievement Award.
Poll: Who’s got the most experts

Windrush on 21:29 - Apr 17 with 2056 viewslondonlisa2001

Windrush on 21:23 - Apr 17 by exiledclaseboy

There must be some kind of criteria but as far as I know there’s no complete and unequivocal database containing the details of all U.K. citizens.

That link says ordinarily resident (so even British citizens who are not are not able to receive free healthcare).

Ordinarily resident is a tax status. Possibly every adult person has a tax status (either for paying tax or receiving benefits). Kids would have the status of their parent(s). Might be done that way, but who knows.
Windrush on 21:30 - Apr 17 with 2053 viewsLohengrin

Windrush on 21:28 - Apr 17 by Darran

They threatened to kick my wife out in 1994.

True story.

She was born in Toronto and came back with her Welsh mother when her parents split up who was from Port Talbot when she was three and before a certain date (something like 1975) you could only claim residency through your father (her father was French) and not your mother.
We had to go Lunar House in Croydon to meet with immigration officers and she had to go through the naturalisation process even though she’d been here for nearly 30 years and had been working in the DHSS office in Port Talbot and had signed some kind of privacy act.
[Post edited 17 Apr 2018 21:28]

Her Mother would have lost her British citizenship by ‘marrying out,’ Daz.

An idea isn't responsible for those who believe in it.

Windrush on 21:33 - Apr 17 with 2039 viewssherpajacob

The daily mail provide NHS trusts with a simple guide, similar to that used for identifying terrorists.

Windrush on 21:34 - Apr 17 with 2030 viewsexiledclaseboy

Windrush on 21:29 - Apr 17 by londonlisa2001

That link says ordinarily resident (so even British citizens who are not are not able to receive free healthcare).

Ordinarily resident is a tax status. Possibly every adult person has a tax status (either for paying tax or receiving benefits). Kids would have the status of their parent(s). Might be done that way, but who knows.

I’ve gone through a few things in the last hour but I can still find no criteria for how a hospital is meant to decide who to ask to prove “ordinary residence”.

Windrush on 21:37 - Apr 17 with 2020 viewslondonlisa2001

Windrush on 21:34 - Apr 17 by exiledclaseboy

I’ve gone through a few things in the last hour but I can still find no criteria for how a hospital is meant to decide who to ask to prove “ordinary residence”.

No idea.

Unless they check everyone without us realising.
Windrush on 21:39 - Apr 17 with 2014 viewsDarran

Windrush on 21:30 - Apr 17 by Lohengrin

Her Mother would have lost her British citizenship by ‘marrying out,’ Daz.

Is that what it is? It was something strange.

We were actually in the passport office in Newport getting her a passport when we first found out and they locked her in a side room and told her she shouldn’t be here.
It’s funny now but she shit herself at the time.
She also had to deal with an immigration place in Liverpool.

The first ever recipient of a Planet Swans Lifetime Achievement Award.
Poll: Who’s got the most experts

Windrush on 21:39 - Apr 17 with 2014 viewsexiledclaseboy

Windrush on 21:37 - Apr 17 by londonlisa2001

No idea.

Unless they check everyone without us realising.

I genuinely don’t see how that’s possible without a national ID database, which as we all know doesn’t exist.

Windrush on 21:40 - Apr 17 with 2008 viewsLohengrin

Windrush on 21:34 - Apr 17 by exiledclaseboy

It’s likely as a result of a prompt from a GP surgery or Consultant. We’re not talking about stitches at A & E here we’re talking about treatments costing tens if not hundreds of thousands of pounds over time. The question of eligibility seen in that light is not unreasonable, is it?

An idea isn't responsible for those who believe in it.

Windrush on 21:40 - Apr 17 with 2001 viewssherpajacob

Windrush on 21:29 - Apr 17 by londonlisa2001

it is ordinarily resident AND

A British citizen
Naturalised within the UK
Settled within the UK (commonly referred to as holding Indefinite Leave to Remain)

There are many foreign workers legally in the UK who are ordinarily resident (ie they pay tax here) but are not british or settled so they have to pay.

Equally ex pats who live abroad are not ordinarily resident so should have to pay. I wonder how many gammon faced ex pats have been denied NHS treatment on this basis. I'm guessing its a fairly round number.

Windrush on 21:42 - Apr 17 with 1999 viewsJoe_bradshaw

Windrush on 21:39 - Apr 17 by exiledclaseboy

I genuinely don’t see how that’s possible without a national ID database, which as we all know doesn’t exist.

Name, DOB, address, telephone number and GP surgery are the only things I’ve been asked for.

Windrush on 21:42 - Apr 17 with 1990 viewsexiledclaseboy

Windrush on 21:40 - Apr 17 by Lohengrin

It’s likely as a result of a prompt from a GP surgery or Consultant. We’re not talking about stitches at A & E here we’re talking about treatments costing tens if not hundreds of thousands of pounds over time. The question of eligibility seen in that light is not unreasonable, is it?

Presumably the GP of the man in the case highlighted here would have been well known to him, given how long he’s been in the country. Not going near the eligibility issue because that’s a different discussion.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024