Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Windrush 14:34 - Apr 16 with 22320 viewslondonlisa2001

What an absolutely sickening episode in the life of this country the current issue with the so-called Windrush children is.

These people arrived here as kids, their parents answering a call for help, they've lived here for 50 years, worked, paid taxes and national insurance, brought up their own families, and are now being deported or threatened.

It is shameful.
Windrush on 23:36 - Apr 17 with 2745 viewsJoe_bradshaw

Windrush on 22:22 - Apr 17 by Lohengrin

“I recognise that accent. Trinidad?”

“ Close. Jamaica, actually.”

That sounds plausible.

In 2015 NHS reports were stating that efforts were being made to recoup some £500m for the treatment of the non-eligible.
[Post edited 17 Apr 2018 23:52]

If you do any work for Swansea University you have to provide your passport to show your eligibility to work in this country. I had to recently despite the fact that they have been consulting me for over 5 years.

Planet Swans Prediction League Winner Season 2013-14. Runner up 2014_15.
Poll: How many points clear of relegation will we be on Saturday night?

Windrush on 23:54 - Apr 17 with 2724 viewsLohengrin

Windrush on 23:36 - Apr 17 by Joe_bradshaw

If you do any work for Swansea University you have to provide your passport to show your eligibility to work in this country. I had to recently despite the fact that they have been consulting me for over 5 years.

Sorry, mate. I’d edited my post to make a different point before I saw your reply.

An idea isn't responsible for those who believe in it.

Windrush on 04:26 - Apr 18 with 2666 viewsKilkennyjack

https://news.sky.com/story/downing-street-defends-home-office-decision-to-destro

Maybot destroyed the evidence and Number 10 now saying it was the right decision.

I bet the innocent people who have been worried sick, detained, cant work, cant travel, cant access NHS, and yet have lived here some 60 years hold a different view.

Resign Maybot. Idiot.

Beware of the Risen People

Windrush on 08:04 - Apr 18 with 2635 viewsAnotherJohn

Windrush on 04:26 - Apr 18 by Kilkennyjack

https://news.sky.com/story/downing-street-defends-home-office-decision-to-destro

Maybot destroyed the evidence and Number 10 now saying it was the right decision.

I bet the innocent people who have been worried sick, detained, cant work, cant travel, cant access NHS, and yet have lived here some 60 years hold a different view.

Resign Maybot. Idiot.

Clase and Lisa were asking how hospitals establish eligibility for treatment. There is official guidance on this in each of the four home countries, which may or may not reflect the on-the-ground reality. You will notice that it bans practices such as racial profiling.

DH (England) guidance

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attac

Example English NHS Trust operational guidance

http://www.newcastle-hospitals.org.uk/downloads/policies/Operational/OverseasVis

Wales is slightly different but I was unable to find the up-to-date guidance on the web.

Being 'ordinarily resident' in this context is not a simple reflection of tax status as this will be established on a practical basis by the hospital officer. For example, a returning expat who would not otherwise be eligible for free treatment could assert that s/he intends to resume residence in the UK and give evidence to support that claim, which would usually open the way for free treatment.

Here is an ordinary residence test tool:

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attac

I am not myself involved in this process, but think the above is roughly correct. If we have any posters who work in Welsh hospitals I could be interested to hear their views.
[Post edited 18 Apr 2018 8:07]
Windrush on 10:47 - Apr 18 with 2582 viewsLoyal

The first skinhead trail blazers came off this boat, early ska influences that went on to inspire a whole load of generations. For that alone they should be given freedoms of every city they have loved and contributed to.

Nolan sympathiser, clout expert, personal friend of Leigh Dineen, advocate and enforcer of porridge swallows. The official inventor of the tit w@nk.
Poll: Who should be Swansea number 1

Windrush on 11:06 - Apr 18 with 2556 viewstheloneranger

Windrush on 10:47 - Apr 18 by Loyal

The first skinhead trail blazers came off this boat, early ska influences that went on to inspire a whole load of generations. For that alone they should be given freedoms of every city they have loved and contributed to.

In the late 60's I was given an album by Toots and the Maytals, what a brilliant new sound and experience.

Sadly it's somewhere hidden in the attic, maybe lost but not forgotten.
[Post edited 18 Apr 2018 11:08]

Everyday above ground ... Is a good day! 😎

Windrush on 12:14 - Apr 18 with 2532 viewsDJack

Resign Maybot. Idiot.

Unfortunately, she will never resign. The last election was more than enough reason for her to resign and she didn't.

It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring. - Carl Sagan

Windrush on 12:42 - Apr 18 with 2517 viewsNeath_Jack

Windrush on 10:47 - Apr 18 by Loyal

I want a mate like Flashberryjacks, who wears a Barnsley jersey with "Swans are my second team" on the back.
Poll: Would you support military action against Syria on what we know so far?

Login to get fewer ads

Windrush on 12:44 - Apr 18 with 2515 viewsLohengrin

Resign Maybot. Idiot.

Where your attack falters, Killy, is with today’s disclosure that the decision to bin the landing cards was made in 2009 under the last Labour government.

I’m not trying to make any sort of a political point just to echo the frustration of anybody who has attempted serious archival research and discovered just how much hardcopy has been redacted as superfluous in the last three decades as computerisation has progressed.

There is no conspiracy here, nothing sinister. What they will tell you time after time is that it’s a question of space and there is little of it for what they may deem as ephemera.

Windrush on 13:25 - Apr 18 with 2494 viewsoh_tommy_tommy

So in the space of a day the government say that they destroyed the documents because of data protection, then they said it was the border force’s decision, now they say it was Labour?

Facking hell mun

😂😂😂

Poll: DO you support the uk getting involved in Syria

Windrush on 13:34 - Apr 18 with 2486 viewsLohengrin

Windrush on 13:25 - Apr 18 by oh_tommy_tommy

So in the space of a day the government say that they destroyed the documents because of data protection, then they said it was the border force’s decision, now they say it was Labour?

Facking hell mun

😂😂😂

Another mystifying example of political inability to just give a straight answer, Tom. Or is it somehow ‘racist’ to say nobody at the Home Office thought the landing card boxes were worth the dexion shelving?

Windrush on 13:39 - Apr 18 with 2480 viewsoh_tommy_tommy

Windrush on 13:34 - Apr 18 by Lohengrin

Another mystifying example of political inability to just give a straight answer, Tom. Or is it somehow ‘racist’ to say nobody at the Home Office thought the landing card boxes were worth the dexion shelving?

I don’t think racism has any thing to do with it Loh

Just another total inept government making things up as they go along .

Windrush on 13:40 - Apr 18 with 2478 viewsDJack

Windrush on 13:39 - Apr 18 by oh_tommy_tommy

I don’t think racism has any thing to do with it Loh

Just another total inept government making things up as they go along .

Colour me surprised, you've actually made some sense!

It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring. - Carl Sagan

Windrush on 13:50 - Apr 18 with 2463 viewsoh_tommy_tommy

Windrush on 13:40 - Apr 18 by DJack

You agree ,so I speak some sence

You disagree I speak bolloxs

Touché

Windrush on 13:51 - Apr 18 with 2463 viewsDippy

Windrush on 13:40 - Apr 18 by DJack

Don't let the average humans intimidate you tommy.. be like me, get your sniper rifle out, and shoot near the rock they usually crawl under.

Poll: Cooper Out

Windrush on 13:59 - Apr 18 with 2453 viewsDJack

Windrush on 13:51 - Apr 18 by Dippy

Don't let the average humans intimidate you tommy.. be like me, get your sniper rifle out, and shoot near the rock they usually crawl under.

Ah, it's the drivelling idiot again.

Windrush on 14:01 - Apr 18 with 2450 viewstheloneranger

"Whistleblowers contradict No 10 over destroyed Windrush landing cards"

"Home Office claims that the destruction of Windrush-era landing cards in 2010 had no impact on the rights of those individuals to stay in the UK have been dramatically undermined by the evidence of two new whistleblowers.

Staff, in fact, routinely used landing card information as part of their decision-making process, and saw the Windrush landing cards as a useful resource, according to information from two new Home Office whistleblowers.

Their accounts have been further supported by the emergence of Border Force guidance, obtained under the Freedom of Information Act, that appears to contradict the government’s justification of a decision to destroy an archive of Windrush-era arrival slips"

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2018/apr/18/whistleblowers-contradict-no-10-

Windrush on 14:12 - Apr 18 with 2431 viewsoh_tommy_tommy

Here we go

Another lie by the bitch in front of parliament

these fackers lie week in week and get away with it

Windrush on 14:20 - Apr 18 with 2418 viewssherpajacob

Windrush on 14:12 - Apr 18 by oh_tommy_tommy

Here we go

The decision to destroy the landing cards would, and should, be irrelevant if the dog whistle hostile environment hadn't been implemented.

Like a Dutch friend of mine and his concerns over brexit, he's lived here, paying a lot of tax, for a number of years, but hasn't kept records of every trip into and out of the UK because there was no need to. Now he's worried about how he can prove any length of residence.

Poll: Your favourite ever Swans shirt sponsor?

Windrush on 18:13 - Apr 18 with 2340 viewslondonlisa2001

Windrush on 08:04 - Apr 18 by AnotherJohn

Clase and Lisa were asking how hospitals establish eligibility for treatment. There is official guidance on this in each of the four home countries, which may or may not reflect the on-the-ground reality. You will notice that it bans practices such as racial profiling.

DH (England) guidance

Example English NHS Trust operational guidance

http://www.newcastle-hospitals.org.uk/downloads/policies/Operational/OverseasVis

Wales is slightly different but I was unable to find the up-to-date guidance on the web.

Being 'ordinarily resident' in this context is not a simple reflection of tax status as this will be established on a practical basis by the hospital officer. For example, a returning expat who would not otherwise be eligible for free treatment could assert that s/he intends to resume residence in the UK and give evidence to support that claim, which would usually open the way for free treatment.

Here is an ordinary residence test tool:

I am not myself involved in this process, but think the above is roughly correct. If we have any posters who work in Welsh hospitals I could be interested to hear their views.
[Post edited 18 Apr 2018 8:07]

Thanks for the links.

I have to say, it still doesn't really answer the question as to how these 'Windrush' cases came about, as it seems the crucial question in the guidance 'have you lived in the Uk for the last 12 months' would be answered 'yes' by the people in question.

I think this may possibly be linked with Lohengrin's point about records being kept ever since you first registered as a child?
Windrush on 18:26 - Apr 18 with 2330 viewslondonlisa2001

Windrush on 14:12 - Apr 18 by oh_tommy_tommy

Here we go

Do you find it impossible to refer to a woman you don't like without using the term 'bitch'?

She didn't lie on this point. Corbyn asked her was it true that she as Home Secretary ordered the destruction of the cards and she said no, the decision (note decision) was taken in 2009 under a Labour government (which it turns out it was). It appears that the decision was made in reference to an office move, was always operational, and I can't believe for one second the Home Secretary (Alan Johnson I think?) knew what was being destroyed and what wasn't.

The records were 50 or so years old, and no one would have assumed that they couldn't be destroyed.

But you can't blame May personally when you think it's the Home Office under her, and then not Johnson personally because it's him. It's double standards.

The issue with this particular aspect is that Corbyn forgot the cardinal rule that you don't ask a question to which you do not know the answer, otherwise you look like a complete idiot.

It's all masking the genuine issue, which seems to relate to a decision made in 2014 to remove a protection that existed for commonwealth residents. The understanding seems to be that no one realised the impact it would have, as it is a situation that on the face of it was covered elsewhere, but some have fallen through the gaps because a catch all was removed.

The whole situation is a disgrace, but the more you hear, the more it seems like utter incompetence.
Windrush on 18:36 - Apr 18 with 2314 viewstheloneranger

Windrush on 18:13 - Apr 18 by londonlisa2001

Thanks for the links.

I have to say, it still doesn't really answer the question as to how these 'Windrush' cases came about, as it seems the crucial question in the guidance 'have you lived in the Uk for the last 12 months' would be answered 'yes' by the people in question.

I think this may possibly be linked with Lohengrin's point about records being kept ever since you first registered as a child?

"Since October, NHS hospitals in England have had a legal duty to charge overseas patients upfront for non-urgent care if they are not eligible for free treatment. That includes EU citizens who have been in UK less than six months.

The regulations require NHS bodies to make inquiries about whether patients are here legally and ordinarily resident in the UK, in order to charge those who aren't entitled to free care.

The Windrush migrants are entitled to treatment - their problem has been proving this."

"The Home Office has put the onus on the individual to provide evidence."

"It has not been using central tax and pension records, which could prove someone has been working, to support people's applications. Instead, the current system relies on people having kept their own documentation including payslips and bank statements."

PLUS

"Part of the problem has been a requirement to provide four pieces of evidence for each year that a person has been in the country."

Windrush on 18:38 - Apr 18 with 2311 viewsoh_tommy_tommy

Windrush on 18:26 - Apr 18 by londonlisa2001

Do you find it impossible to refer to a woman you don't like without using the term 'bitch'?

She didn't lie on this point. Corbyn asked her was it true that she as Home Secretary ordered the destruction of the cards and she said no, the decision (note decision) was taken in 2009 under a Labour government (which it turns out it was). It appears that the decision was made in reference to an office move, was always operational, and I can't believe for one second the Home Secretary (Alan Johnson I think?) knew what was being destroyed and what wasn't.

The records were 50 or so years old, and no one would have assumed that they couldn't be destroyed.

But you can't blame May personally when you think it's the Home Office under her, and then not Johnson personally because it's him. It's double standards.

The issue with this particular aspect is that Corbyn forgot the cardinal rule that you don't ask a question to which you do not know the answer, otherwise you look like a complete idiot.

It's all masking the genuine issue, which seems to relate to a decision made in 2014 to remove a protection that existed for commonwealth residents. The understanding seems to be that no one realised the impact it would have, as it is a situation that on the face of it was covered elsewhere, but some have fallen through the gaps because a catch all was removed.

The whole situation is a disgrace, but the more you hear, the more it seems like utter incompetence.

Ok

how about cow?

Windrush on 18:50 - Apr 18 with 2300 viewslondonlisa2001

Windrush on 18:36 - Apr 18 by theloneranger

"Since October, NHS hospitals in England have had a legal duty to charge overseas patients upfront for non-urgent care if they are not eligible for free treatment. That includes EU citizens who have been in UK less than six months.

The regulations require NHS bodies to make inquiries about whether patients are here legally and ordinarily resident in the UK, in order to charge those who aren't entitled to free care.

The Windrush migrants are entitled to treatment - their problem has been proving this."

"The Home Office has put the onus on the individual to provide evidence."

"It has not been using central tax and pension records, which could prove someone has been working, to support people's applications. Instead, the current system relies on people having kept their own documentation including payslips and bank statements."

PLUS

"Part of the problem has been a requirement to provide four pieces of evidence for each year that a person has been in the country."

The point I was making (and Clasie) is what triggers the request for info, as we are not routinely asked to provide a passport etc for hospital treatment.

I understand why they can't provide it - it's bloody ridiculous to expect people to be able to do so going back that length of time.
Windrush on 18:53 - Apr 18 with 2294 viewslondonlisa2001

Windrush on 18:38 - Apr 18 by oh_tommy_tommy

Ok

how about cow?

How about something which doesn't refer to gender?

In the interests of balance, you'll be aware that I say exactly the same about Diane Abbott and have criticised those that refer to her in those or similar terms.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024