Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Stephen Morrissey - What a card..... 21:27 - Apr 17 with 7122 viewsGowerjack

More musings from the Moz....

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2018/apr/17/morrissey-denounces-halal-meat-as-

Plastic since 1974
Poll: Is ECB for tyranny?

Stephen Morrissey - What a card..... on 12:06 - Apr 19 with 1573 viewsJoe_bradshaw

Stephen Morrissey - What a card..... on 13:10 - Apr 18 by Lohengrin

You know why. Never my cup of tea but there are plenty around my age who will still have an interest in him because he played a big part in their youth or student life when he did this....

I’m too old for him to be of my generation and I never really took to him from the beginning.

I struggle to relate to blokes who hang around with daffodils growing out of their arses.

Planet Swans Prediction League Winner Season 2013-14. Runner up 2014_15.
Poll: How many points clear of relegation will we be on Saturday night?

Stephen Morrissey - What a card..... on 12:35 - Apr 19 with 1542 viewsDarran

Stephen Morrissey - What a card..... on 12:00 - Apr 19 by londonlisa2001

The Å‚eader of For Britain is the woman who was beaten by Henry Bolton isn't it in the UKIP leadership election? If so, she is gay.

But being gay (and Morrissey always declares he is not), doesn't change the fact that he is a racist knobhead.

He's not anti Moslem because of sexuality, same as he isn't anti Chinese because of animal rights or anti Sadiq Khan because he doesn't like his London accent, he's a racist, full stop. Always has been.

He's also always been completely up his own backside.

Well yeah but I can’t imagine the majority of men signing up for ‘For Britain’ are big on homosexuals myself but other opinion are obviously available.

The first ever recipient of a Planet Swans Lifetime Achievement Award.
Poll: Who’s got the most experts

Stephen Morrissey - What a card..... on 12:57 - Apr 19 with 1525 viewslondonlisa2001

Stephen Morrissey - What a card..... on 12:35 - Apr 19 by Darran

Well yeah but I can’t imagine the majority of men signing up for ‘For Britain’ are big on homosexuals myself but other opinion are obviously available.

I don't imagine so either, but the point I'm making is Morrissey isn't anti Moslem because of sexuality, he's anti Moslem because he's a racist.
Stephen Morrissey - What a card..... on 13:07 - Apr 19 with 1513 viewsGlossolalia

Stephen Morrissey - What a card..... on 12:57 - Apr 19 by londonlisa2001

I don't imagine so either, but the point I'm making is Morrissey isn't anti Moslem because of sexuality, he's anti Moslem because he's a racist.

Quite a sweeping statement. Are you suggesting that his dislike for Islam doesn't in any way result from the Halal process?
I'm very sceptical of Islam, and its pronouncement that it is the final revelation. In fact, I consider Islam as the single most dangerous thing at present. The idea of jihad; the hatred of other religions; of other Muslims too; the utter lack of tolerance towards criticism, and the violence that invariably erupts as a result. Don't you think these issues might affect his judgement?
Islam isn't a race either.
[Post edited 19 Apr 2018 13:13]
Stephen Morrissey - What a card..... on 16:31 - Apr 19 with 1456 viewsPapaLazarou

Stephen Morrissey - What a card..... on 13:10 - Apr 18 by Lohengrin

You know why. Never my cup of tea but there are plenty around my age who will still have an interest in him because he played a big part in their youth or student life when he did this....

One of the finest songwriters of all time in my eyes. (Even though he absolutely despises the first song you posted...)

But he's just so detached from reality that when I see he's given another interview I don't even bother giving it any credence.

The last album was alright, a couple of great tracks, but not a patch on World Peace Is None Of Your Business or You Are The Quarry for me.
Stephen Morrissey - What a card..... on 18:05 - Apr 19 with 1436 viewsomarjack

Stephen Morrissey - What a card..... on 11:30 - Apr 19 by Kerouac

So it is fine for Islam to preach hatred against homosexuals but if one of them says he is not fussed on Islam he is a racist.
I see.

No.
It's not fine when Muslims preach against anti-LGBT or anti-feminist sentiments.
but...

As a a person who is born from a Muslim background. I can objectively tell you that there are many Muslims (including me) who have nothing but respect to the LGBT community and appalled because of the treatment of gays in Muslim majority countries.

now I'm not a practicing Muslim. yet my family are. and they are tolerant people in the most part.
what Morrissey stated plays strictly in the hands of the far right who wants to turn the west against us in the name of Islam because right now we look like an easy target.

maybe I'm a bit tipsy now so my massage isn't quite clear. but I beg all of you to understand that not all of us are homophobic/misogynist etc and that what the far right is doing is alienating us unjustly.
there are LGBT Muslims that I know for example who believe in Allah (God), so the problem isn't Muslims or Islam. it's dirty Muslims/brotherhood salafi scum who destroyed our societies and made us the laughing stoke in the eyes of the west.

sincerely, a liberal Arab.

Poll: England vs Croatia (who's going to win)

Stephen Morrissey - What a card..... on 19:16 - Apr 19 with 1406 viewsGowerjack

Stephen Morrissey - What a card..... on 11:30 - Apr 19 by Kerouac

So it is fine for Islam to preach hatred against homosexuals but if one of them says he is not fussed on Islam he is a racist.
I see.

No.

Both are wrong.

It's really not that difficult to inderstand unless of course you have racist sympathies yourself...

Plastic since 1974

Stephen Morrissey - What a card..... on 19:24 - Apr 19 with 1402 viewsKerouac

Stephen Morrissey - What a card..... on 18:05 - Apr 19 by omarjack

No.
It's not fine when Muslims preach against anti-LGBT or anti-feminist sentiments.
but...

As a a person who is born from a Muslim background. I can objectively tell you that there are many Muslims (including me) who have nothing but respect to the LGBT community and appalled because of the treatment of gays in Muslim majority countries.

now I'm not a practicing Muslim. yet my family are. and they are tolerant people in the most part.
what Morrissey stated plays strictly in the hands of the far right who wants to turn the west against us in the name of Islam because right now we look like an easy target.

maybe I'm a bit tipsy now so my massage isn't quite clear. but I beg all of you to understand that not all of us are homophobic/misogynist etc and that what the far right is doing is alienating us unjustly.
there are LGBT Muslims that I know for example who believe in Allah (God), so the problem isn't Muslims or Islam. it's dirty Muslims/brotherhood salafi scum who destroyed our societies and made us the laughing stoke in the eyes of the west.

sincerely, a liberal Arab.

Omar,
Thanks for the response.
Please don't think I'm attacking you in any way here (because you are the kind of modern liberal British Muslim I like to hear about) but I'd just like to ask you your thoughts on something.

You say the far-right is making the case against Islam (...and I am sure they are, as always. Fortunately they are a tiny minority in this country) but aren't British Muslims also responsible for the perception that Islam = anti-homosexuality?
Did you see CH4's recent survey, 'What British Muslims really think' ?
The TV show was presented by Trevor Phillips.
The survey found that 52% of Uk Muslims surveyed believed that homosexuality should be illegal in this country. 4/10 respondents strongly disagreed that homosexuality should be legal.
Almost identical figures for the question; 'Should homosexuals be allowed to teach in schools?'

So are UK Muslims being wrongly stereotyped or is this what half of your religious community in the UK (1.5million people) really thinks?
...and how do you think this issue, this incompatibility with the rest of British society in this subject, should be addressed by leaders within UK Islam?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ss9VZ1FHxy0
Poll: Which manager should replace Russell Martin (2) ?

Login to get fewer ads

Stephen Morrissey - What a card..... on 19:26 - Apr 19 with 1397 viewsKerouac

Stephen Morrissey - What a card..... on 12:57 - Apr 19 by londonlisa2001

Have some empathy, of course homosexuals are aware of how Islamic countries treat homosexuals.
How on earth would that not colour their opinions on Islam?
How would you feel in the same shoes?

Stephen Morrissey - What a card..... on 19:27 - Apr 19 with 1395 viewsGowerjack

Stephen Morrissey - What a card..... on 19:24 - Apr 19 by Kerouac

Omar,
Thanks for the response.
Please don't think I'm attacking you in any way here (because you are the kind of modern liberal British Muslim I like to hear about) but I'd just like to ask you your thoughts on something.

You say the far-right is making the case against Islam (...and I am sure they are, as always. Fortunately they are a tiny minority in this country) but aren't British Muslims also responsible for the perception that Islam = anti-homosexuality?
The survey found that 52% of Uk Muslims surveyed believed that homosexuality should be illegal in this country. 4/10 respondents strongly disagreed that homosexuality should be legal.
Almost identical figures for the question; 'Should homosexuals be allowed to teach in schools?'

So are UK Muslims being wrongly stereotyped or is this what half of your religious community in the UK (1.5million people) really thinks?
...and how do you think this issue, this incompatibility with the rest of British society in this subject, should be addressed by leaders within UK Islam?

Do you think if you tried really really hard that you could be even more condescending ?

Plastic since 1974

Stephen Morrissey - What a card..... on 19:33 - Apr 19 with 1380 viewsKerouac

Stephen Morrissey - What a card..... on 19:16 - Apr 19 by Gowerjack

No.

Both are wrong.

It's really not that difficult to inderstand unless of course you have racist sympathies yourself...

Oh f*ck off.

That's another point Morrissey made.
The cheapening of the English language.

I could not give a f*ck about; skin pigment, place of birth, whether your parents/grandparents come from somewhere else, whether English/Welsh is your 2nd language...not a monkey's toss.

I do care about people's ideas though and specifically the spread of ideas that are harmful to our society and the societies of the future...the one my kids and grandkids are going to inherit.

...but then, we've been through this. You and others are still going to call me "racist" rather than discuss difficult issues aren't you.
Cowardice is what it is.

Stephen Morrissey - What a card..... on 20:22 - Apr 19 with 1342 viewsomarjack

Stephen Morrissey - What a card..... on 19:24 - Apr 19 by Kerouac

Omar,
Thanks for the response.

I understand. yet I don't understand why any of this is my problem. and why do I have to pay with constant bullying and threats of travelling bans and horsecrap like "punish a muslim day" etc.

I was born a human being. not a part of a race/religion etc..I am my own person

and I deserve the same treatment as you do. and not to live in constant fear.

why don't you suffer because of the homophobes,women haters and literal Nazis in your communities? I mean about 20% of white Brits also think that homosexuality should be a crime. why do modern muslims get the stick for the 50% muslim homophobes? it's simply NOT their fault and shouldn't pay for it.

Poll: England vs Croatia (who's going to win)

Stephen Morrissey - What a card..... on 21:22 - Apr 19 with 1297 viewsKerouac

Stephen Morrissey - What a card..... on 20:22 - Apr 19 by omarjack

I understand. yet I don't understand why any of this is my problem. and why do I have to pay with constant bullying and threats of travelling bans and horsecrap like "punish a muslim day" etc.

I was born a human being. not a part of a race/religion etc..I am my own person

and I deserve the same treatment as you do. and not to live in constant fear.

why don't you suffer because of the homophobes,women haters and literal Nazis in your communities? I mean about 20% of white Brits also think that homosexuality should be a crime. why do modern muslims get the stick for the 50% muslim homophobes? it's simply NOT their fault and shouldn't pay for it.

Forgive me Omar but a few things...

- I was raised a Catholic, half my family are Catholics, I rejected that religion when I was 14 because I disagreed with things that the religion preached.
I no longer call myself a Catholic and when in company am given to attacking the Catholic Church for it's hypocrisy and for the bad things it teaches people.
Am I right that you still consider yourself a Muslim yet you disagree with what the religion preached about homosexuality?
Why don't you renounce your faith?
Is it not possible to believe in a God without affiliating yourself to a religion?

- I belong to many clans though, as do we all.
I am a Welsh, British, European, Liberal.
If the Welsh Assembley was encouraging people to hate homosexuals or Jews etc. It would be my responsibility to challenge those teachings/policies etc. and if I didn't I would be tacitly accepting of the status quo and partially responsible.
I challenge things in my own society and community all the time, I accept my responsibility.
From the tone of your response am I right in thinking that you see no way to change the fact that 52% of British Muslims believe homosexuality should be illegal?
Or is it that you don't accept responsibility and are therefore tacitly accepting of the status quo?

- Are Europeans and Americans and Jews not held accountable for the actions of a few in Muslim majority countries. Is there not a hypocrisy in the case you are making?

Thanks!

Stephen Morrissey - What a card..... on 21:26 - Apr 19 with 1282 viewsGowerjack

Stephen Morrissey - What a card..... on 21:22 - Apr 19 by Kerouac

- I was raised a Catholic, half my family are Catholics, I rejected that religion when I was 14 because I disagreed with things that the religion preached.
I no longer call myself a Catholic and when in company am given to attacking the Catholic Church for it's hypocrisy and for the bad things it teaches people.
Am I right that you still consider yourself a Muslim yet you disagree with what the religion preached about homosexuality?
Is it not possible to believe in a God without affiliating yourself to a religion?

If the Welsh Assembley was encouraging people to hate homosexuals or Jews etc. It would be my responsibility to challenge those teachings/policies etc. and if I didn't I would be tacitly accepting of the status quo and partially responsible.
I challenge things in my own society and community all the time, I accept my responsibility.
From the tone of your response am I right in thinking that you see no way to change the fact that 52% of British Muslims believe homosexuality should be illegal?
Or is it that you don't accept responsibility and are therefore tacitly accepting of the status quo?

- Are Europeans and Americans and Jews not held accountable for the actions of a few in Muslim majority countries. Is there not a hypocrisy in the case you are making?

Thanks!

Astonishing.

It's as if you read his reply but didn't understand a word of it.

Plastic since 1974

Stephen Morrissey - What a card..... on 21:33 - Apr 19 with 1264 viewsSpearchucker_Jones

Thanks!

I didn't realise Morrissey was a Swan fan...
Stephen Morrissey - What a card..... on 21:35 - Apr 19 with 1261 viewsHumpty

Thanks!

Omar is not responsible for the homophobic views of some Muslims.

Omar is not responsible for what goes on in some Muslim majority countries.

It's not f*cking hard.
Stephen Morrissey - What a card..... on 21:42 - Apr 19 with 1240 viewsDarran

Stephen Morrissey - What a card..... on 21:35 - Apr 19 by Humpty

It's not f*cking hard.

It is if you’re of a certain mindset.

The first ever recipient of a Planet Swans Lifetime Achievement Award.
Poll: Who’s got the most experts

Stephen Morrissey - What a card..... on 21:42 - Apr 19 with 1238 viewsGowerjack

It's not f*cking hard.

It is for Kerouac.

Here is a textbook definition of the word racism, see if it reminds you of anyone who's posted to this thread....

"the belief that all members of each race possess characteristics, abilities, or qualities specific to that race, especially so as to distinguish it as inferior or superior to another race or races"

Plastic since 1974

Stephen Morrissey - What a card..... on 21:46 - Apr 19 with 1226 viewsSpearchucker_Jones

It was a genuine lol moment when he described himself as a liberal...
Stephen Morrissey - What a card..... on 21:46 - Apr 19 with 1225 viewsKerouac

It's not f*cking hard.

He didn't offer any ideas as to how Islamic leaders could change Muslims opinions on the issue of homosexuality.
Nobody has.

Are you for tacitly accepting that over 50% of Muslims believe these things Hump?
If liberal Muslims are not responsible for changing these beliefs and our government don't take responsibility for 1.5 million citizens who feel this way...who is responsible?
...and if changing immigration policy isn't an option ('cos that would be, like, sooo far right) then how many millions of UK citizens who believe homosexuality should be made illegal are you comfortable with then Hump?
Don't you care about homosexuals and their right to live freely without fear in this country Hump?

Stephen Morrissey - What a card..... on 21:48 - Apr 19 with 1217 viewsFieryJack

It's not f*cking hard.

Exactly.

I might be wrong here, but I'm guessing this is the first time Kerouac has engaged with a muslim - online, that is.

So, that's a start then.

In the flesh, though, his only contact has probably been with a Bangladeshi waiter in a curry house.
Stephen Morrissey - What a card..... on 21:51 - Apr 19 with 1201 viewsGowerjack

Stephen Morrissey - What a card..... on 21:48 - Apr 19 by FieryJack

Exactly.

I might be wrong here, but I'm guessing this is the first time Kerouac has engaged with a muslim - online, that is.

So, that's a start then.

In the flesh, though, his only contact has probably been with a Bangladeshi waiter in a curry house.

Down the Mayals possibly...

Plastic since 1974

Stephen Morrissey - What a card..... on 21:57 - Apr 19 with 1183 viewsJack_Meoff

Stephen Morrissey - What a card..... on 21:48 - Apr 19 by FieryJack

Exactly.

So, that's a start then.

One can only hope said waiter made the curry extra creamy.

If you want a vision of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face--forever.

Stephen Morrissey - What a card..... on 21:57 - Apr 19 with 1182 viewsKerouac

Stephen Morrissey - What a card..... on 21:42 - Apr 19 by Gowerjack

It is for Kerouac.

Here is a textbook definition of the word racism, see if it reminds you of anyone who's posted to this thread....

"the belief that all members of each race possess characteristics, abilities, or qualities specific to that race, especially so as to distinguish it as inferior or superior to another race or races"

What the f*ck are you on about.
We are talking religion not race.
A religion is a belief system with a set of rules as regards how to live your life in order to please "God".
Nobody is born into it, it's not a genetic condition.
It is something you choose to believe in or you don't, of your own free will.

Why on earth should religious people be able to get away with promoting the idea that homosexuals should be made illegal without challenge.
Why should Omar, as a Liberal who disagrees with these teachings still describe himself as a Muslim and offer no ideas as to how his fellow Muslims minds can be changed on this? (Like a Corbyn supporter/Labour party member shrugging their shoulders at blatant anti-semitism; "nothing to do with me guv")
Explain yourself you intellectual runt.

Stephen Morrissey - What a card..... on 21:59 - Apr 19 with 1178 viewsFieryJack

Stephen Morrissey - What a card..... on 21:46 - Apr 19 by Kerouac

He didn't offer any ideas as to how Islamic leaders could change Muslims opinions on the issue of homosexuality.
Nobody has.

Are you for tacitly accepting that over 50% of Muslims believe these things Hump?
If liberal Muslims are not responsible for changing these beliefs and our government don't take responsibility for 1.5 million citizens who feel this way...who is responsible?
...and if changing immigration policy isn't an option ('cos that would be, like, sooo far right) then how many millions of UK citizens who believe homosexuality should be made illegal are you comfortable with then Hump?
Don't you care about homosexuals and their right to live freely without fear in this country Hump?

Barking up the wrong tree here, mate.

I've never heard of a mob of Muslins attacking gay men in the UK, but for decades they've been routinely attacked by white British thugs.

And yes, I do find the Islamic intolerance of homosexuality obnoxious, but it seems to me you're trying to tar all Muslims with the same brush.

In 50 years time this will all be laughable anyway.

Believe it or not there are huge and growing numbers of middle class, integrated, educated, tolerant, "British-ified" second and third generation muslims in this country.

I should know - I work with enough of them.

That's a blessing, in my opinion, and let it be a comfort to you.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024