Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
So now Levien is organizing 2-4 other SCFC owners to purchase DC United 08:49 - Apr 18 with 5962 viewsTummer_from_Texas

Something to bookmark in case they cry about being too poor to invest in players this summer...

https://www.washingtonpost.com/amphtml/news/soccer-insider/wp/2018/04/17/d-c-uni

Poll: Biggest signing so far in January? (just curious what Planet Swans thinks)

So now Levien is organizing 2-4 other SCFC owners to purchase DC United on 09:09 - Apr 18 with 4291 viewsDr_Winston

I keep asking this question but nobody seems to want to answer.

Why do we want to get into debt to these people? Why do we want them to "invest" (i.e. loan the club money at a decent rate of interest) rather than live within our means as we did for the extremely successful decade that preceded their involvement?

When did we transition from being a fanbase proud of achieving Premier League status and silverware on our own to just another group screaming for greater and greater spending from ownership? We used to take the piss out of Cardiff fans for that.

I don't want any more of their money.

Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair, or f*cking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.

So now Levien is organizing 2-4 other SCFC owners to purchase DC United on 09:25 - Apr 18 with 4254 viewsTheResurrection

So now Levien is organizing 2-4 other SCFC owners to purchase DC United on 09:09 - Apr 18 by Dr_Winston

Why do we want to get into debt to these people? Why do we want them to "invest" (i.e. loan the club money at a decent rate of interest) rather than live within our means as we did for the extremely successful decade that preceded their involvement?

When did we transition from being a fanbase proud of achieving Premier League status and silverware on our own to just another group screaming for greater and greater spending from ownership? We used to take the piss out of Cardiff fans for that.

It's pathetic and like banging your head on a Texan oil drum.

But no matter how many times you explain this, still, STILL they come back with nonsense like this OP.

Football isn't all about buying success anyway, but even more importantly, it's not about pawning your City's team for cheap dollars and becoming indebted forever to foreign owners.

We're still a Club, and the Club is a Swansea Club and we can still grow from within our own resources.

A good manager is all we need.

* BOX OFFICE POST ABOVE* TM I am the resurrection and i am the light. I couldn’t ever bring myself to hate you as i’d like
Poll: Is it time for the Trust to make change happen?

So now Levien is organizing 2-4 other SCFC owners to purchase DC United on 09:45 - Apr 18 with 4212 viewsLeonWasGod

So now Levien is organizing 2-4 other SCFC owners to purchase DC United on 09:09 - Apr 18 by Dr_Winston

Quite. Not to mention they didn't accrue their wealth by p1ssing away money on players like Tabanou. So even if we wanted them to splash the cash they wouldn't anyway. Not without borrowing.

I'd like them to look at the ridiculous amounts of money we've wasted on duff signings though and try to get us to be a bit more clever in the transfer market.
So now Levien is organizing 2-4 other SCFC owners to purchase DC United on 09:53 - Apr 18 with 4195 viewsDr_Winston

So now Levien is organizing 2-4 other SCFC owners to purchase DC United on 09:45 - Apr 18 by LeonWasGod

Quite. Not to mention they didn't accrue their wealth by p1ssing away money on players like Tabanou. So even if we wanted them to splash the cash they wouldn't anyway. Not without borrowing.

I'd like them to look at the ridiculous amounts of money we've wasted on duff signings though and try to get us to be a bit more clever in the transfer market.

Agree.

We've spent plenty of money in recent seasons. We just haven't got anything like enough bang for our buck. There are a number of reasons for that, but they need addressing.

Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair, or f*cking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.

So now Levien is organizing 2-4 other SCFC owners to purchase DC United on 11:54 - Apr 18 with 4071 viewslonglostjack

So now Levien is organizing 2-4 other SCFC owners to purchase DC United on 09:25 - Apr 18 by TheResurrection

But no matter how many times you explain this, still, STILL they come back with nonsense like this OP.

Football isn't all about buying success anyway, but even more importantly, it's not about pawning your City's team for cheap dollars and becoming indebted forever to foreign owners.

We're still a Club, and the Club is a Swansea Club and we can still grow from within our own resources.

All started with the selling shareholders' lame excuse for their greed being that we needed "investment" to take us to the next level.

Poll: Alcohol in the lockdown

So now Levien is organizing 2-4 other SCFC owners to purchase DC United on 12:16 - Apr 18 with 4021 viewsShaky

1. Living within your means in the Prem is not a sustainable business for all but the top clubs.

2. Swansea was already in hock to the tune of £70 million last summer which will probably rise to at least £85-90 million by the end of this financial year.

What you are talking about is already a fantasy.

The issue is how to extract the club from the current financial hole, and the first item on the agenda is staying in the Prem, which means investment in the squad.

This isn't Brexit, you can't have your cake and eat it. Oh wait. . . !!

Misology -- It's a bitch
Poll: Greatest PS Troll Hunter of all time

So now Levien is organizing 2-4 other SCFC owners to purchase DC United on 12:23 - Apr 18 with 4009 viewsAmbergambler

So now Levien is organizing 2-4 other SCFC owners to purchase DC United on 11:54 - Apr 18 by longlostjack

All started with the selling shareholders' lame excuse for their greed being that we needed "investment" to take us to the next level.

Exactly.

Wind your necks in all those criticising Tummer for this thread, I think he just thought it would be of interest.
[Post edited 18 Apr 2018 14:08]
So now Levien is organizing 2-4 other SCFC owners to purchase DC United on 12:31 - Apr 18 with 3985 viewsDJack

I'm not Tummers biggest fan but it has to be said if he sees any American article about the swans he posts it. This is no different and he put up the link and added a throw away comment much like we are all guilty of. Why the ire?

It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring. - Carl Sagan

Login to get fewer ads

So now Levien is organizing 2-4 other SCFC owners to purchase DC United on 13:10 - Apr 18 with 3889 viewsmagicdaps10

So now Levien is organizing 2-4 other SCFC owners to purchase DC United on 09:53 - Apr 18 by Dr_Winston

Agree.

We've spent plenty of money in recent seasons. We just haven't got anything like enough bang for our buck. There are a number of reasons for that, but they need addressing.

They have put back virtually everything that has been takeb in with regards to players sales......have they done this because they wanted too or because the situation/s required it!?!

On from that, the issue has been the recruitment with the money that was available. This department has been the massive issue that has seen end up where we are today, where we have been for the last three seasons. Too much faith is put in to our DOF and his band of merry scouts who are not producing the goods to the amount that has been spent.

Learn from the mistakes, get rid of the issue that is Jenkins and get the foundation right and in place quickly.

Stay up and there is a real chance to get back to competing in and around that mid table and bring some stability back to the club.

Poll: Are the owners doing enough for Swansea City

So now Levien is organizing 2-4 other SCFC owners to purchase DC United on 14:32 - Apr 18 with 3766 viewsTummer_from_Texas

So now Levien is organizing 2-4 other SCFC owners to purchase DC United on 09:25 - Apr 18 by TheResurrection

Call it nonsense all you want, but a good manager isn't ALL you need.

Newsflash: You need good players, too, if you want to remain in the Premier League.

And I'm not asking for any great investment. I'd just like to see us not have (by FAR) the league's lowest net spend on transfers for the 2nd summer in a row.

Sorry if that offends anyone's higher principles.
[Post edited 18 Apr 2018 14:35]

Poll: Biggest signing so far in January? (just curious what Planet Swans thinks)

So now Levien is organizing 2-4 other SCFC owners to purchase DC United on 15:30 - Apr 18 with 3684 viewsDwightYorkeSuperstar

So now Levien is organizing 2-4 other SCFC owners to purchase DC United on 14:32 - Apr 18 by Tummer_from_Texas

Call it nonsense all you want, but a good manager isn't ALL you need.

Newsflash: You need good players, too, if you want to remain in the Premier League.

And I'm not asking for any great investment. I'd just like to see us not have (by FAR) the league's lowest net spend on transfers for the 2nd summer in a row.

Sorry if that offends anyone's higher principles.
[Post edited 18 Apr 2018 14:35]

We can't go spending loads more on transfers though when our wage bill accounts for most of the money we bring in. If you want us to spend more on transfers then we have to borrow money to do it which rarely ends well for small clubs in the Premier League.

What we need to do is make sure that the money we do spend is spent well. It hasn't been spent well for the most part since Laudrup's agent departed.

Poll: Should MP for Swansea East Carolyn Harris resign?

So now Levien is organizing 2-4 other SCFC owners to purchase DC United on 15:49 - Apr 18 with 3670 viewsTummer_from_Texas

So now Levien is organizing 2-4 other SCFC owners to purchase DC United on 12:31 - Apr 18 by DJack

I'm not Tummers biggest fan but it has to be said if he sees any American article about the swans he posts it. This is no different and he put up the link and added a throw away comment much like we are all guilty of. Why the ire?

Thanks DJ. People complain about lack of spending all the time with a lot more directness and hysteria, so I don't get the ire either. I suppose it's not the message, just the messenger that triggers some.

But this thread was at least golden for Res' classic comment that my one little sentence OP was "nonsense," then ending his rant with possibly the most naive and idiotic sentence I've read on this site in a long time.

PS Res - there are a lot of good managers in the PL, so hiring one doesn't really make us stand out competitively as much as you might think. And they cost a lot of money, too. And, you're going to have a hard time finding one with any ambition at all, if you're just going to give him crap to put out on the pitch.

Again folks, I'm not asking for an extravagant spending spree, or even an average one by PL standards. I never even implied that, so I'm not sure why this thread about our owners preparing to buy another club that will also be very expensive to run got derailed immediately.

But again: we had the lowest net amount spent by anyone in the league last summer, and we can't afford to keep repeating that strategy every offseason. Especially not when we clearly need both improvement and more depth in certain areas, not even taking into account the players we might lose.

So now Levien is organizing 2-4 other SCFC owners to purchase DC United on 17:01 - Apr 18 with 3562 viewsairedale

So now Levien is organizing 2-4 other SCFC owners to purchase DC United on 15:49 - Apr 18 by Tummer_from_Texas

Thanks DJ. People complain about lack of spending all the time with a lot more directness and hysteria, so I don't get the ire either. I suppose it's not the message, just the messenger that triggers some.

But this thread was at least golden for Res' classic comment that my one little sentence OP was "nonsense," then ending his rant with possibly the most naive and idiotic sentence I've read on this site in a long time.

PS Res - there are a lot of good managers in the PL, so hiring one doesn't really make us stand out competitively as much as you might think. And they cost a lot of money, too. And, you're going to have a hard time finding one with any ambition at all, if you're just going to give him crap to put out on the pitch.

Again folks, I'm not asking for an extravagant spending spree, or even an average one by PL standards. I never even implied that, so I'm not sure why this thread about our owners preparing to buy another club that will also be very expensive to run got derailed immediately.

But again: we had the lowest net amount spent by anyone in the league last summer, and we can't afford to keep repeating that strategy every offseason. Especially not when we clearly need both improvement and more depth in certain areas, not even taking into account the players we might lose.

And it doesn’t help when over 80% of turnover goes to the players. Must be a nightmare to run a PL club competitively.
So now Levien is organizing 2-4 other SCFC owners to purchase DC United on 17:50 - Apr 18 with 3484 viewsmax936

So now Levien is organizing 2-4 other SCFC owners to purchase DC United on 15:30 - Apr 18 by DwightYorkeSuperstar

We can't go spending loads more on transfers though when our wage bill accounts for most of the money we bring in. If you want us to spend more on transfers then we have to borrow money to do it which rarely ends well for small clubs in the Premier League.

What we need to do is make sure that the money we do spend is spent well. It hasn't been spent well for the most part since Laudrup's agent departed.

"What we need to do is make sure that the money we do spend is spent well"

Tell that to the ones running the club, we all know that to be the case, that's akin to telling folk that they've a nose on their face.
[Post edited 18 Apr 2018 17:51]

Poll: Will it Snow this coming Winter

So now Levien is organizing 2-4 other SCFC owners to purchase DC United on 17:54 - Apr 18 with 3475 viewsTreforys_Jack

So now Levien is organizing 2-4 other SCFC owners to purchase DC United on 15:30 - Apr 18 by DwightYorkeSuperstar

This in a nutshell.
So now Levien is organizing 2-4 other SCFC owners to purchase DC United on 18:10 - Apr 18 with 3455 viewsDewi1jack

"What we need to do is make sure that the money we do spend is spent well. It hasn't been spent well for the most part since Laudrup's agent departed."

You can't keep spouting sense mun.
You'll have us all on side with you.

We do need more than a good manager.

When a club our small size (compared to a lot of PL clubs- income wise we're far bigger than Championship clubs) has over £45 million worth of players out on loan and our squad is so obviously painfully thin, then the recruitment process needs sorting sooner rather than later.
Any manager has his hands firmly tied by a poor recruitment strategy.
And Beaky's love of all things Falkirk and goal keepers is poor.
Giving 'past it' players new contracts has to stop- ties up wages and squad positions is also poor
Not the players fault he's old, slower, more injury prone, just no good etc.
Only the board to blame for them being here.

That must be sorted prior to the window opening.
Time for Beaky and the EX board to quietly fukoff. Or be sacked.
Leave the newish board sort it and the fans can get back to being united behind the club and its players

If you wake up breathing, thats a good start to your day and you'll make many thousands of people envious.

So now Levien is organizing 2-4 other SCFC owners to purchase DC United on 20:04 - Apr 18 with 3338 viewsswanforthemoney

Are you sick or something DYSS? This is the second or third time this week that I find myself agreeing with you.

I stand in the North Stand

So now Levien is organizing 2-4 other SCFC owners to purchase DC United on 20:31 - Apr 18 with 3317 viewsswanforthemoney

This Patrick Soon-Shiong character has a pile of money. If he gets interested in 'soccer' investments, he might want to shove some of it our way.

I stand in the North Stand

So now Levien is organizing 2-4 other SCFC owners to purchase DC United on 21:31 - Apr 18 with 3259 viewslonglostjack

So now Levien is organizing 2-4 other SCFC owners to purchase DC United on 20:31 - Apr 18 by swanforthemoney

This Patrick Soon-Shiong character has a pile of money. If he gets interested in 'soccer' investments, he might want to shove some of it our way.

Sounds like an Irish onion seller from Brittany.

Poll: Alcohol in the lockdown

So now Levien is organizing 2-4 other SCFC owners to purchase DC United on 22:03 - Apr 18 with 3216 viewsTheResurrection

So now Levien is organizing 2-4 other SCFC owners to purchase DC United on 15:49 - Apr 18 by Tummer_from_Texas

Lots of words..... All a pile of shit.

A good manager doesn't have to be an expensive one. We've never had an expensive one but we've had managers that were absolutely perfect for us, at least for a while.

A good manager doesn't just go out all American, like some tvvat Trump tickler, or Harry facking Redknapp, they look at what they've got and tweak it into their shape and system.

Carlos isn't expensive and neither has he wanted to go all gung-ho Yank and spend, spend, spend. He's made the best of what he's got and added conservatively.

* BOX OFFICE POST ABOVE* TM I am the resurrection and i am the light. I couldn’t ever bring myself to hate you as i’d like
Poll: Is it time for the Trust to make change happen?

So now Levien is organizing 2-4 other SCFC owners to purchase DC United on 22:04 - Apr 18 with 3211 viewsQJumpingJack

One would hope that if various Swans board members are involved with this deal, that they had the common courtesy to inform the Trust in advance.

How will the transfer of players between the two clubs work?
So now Levien is organizing 2-4 other SCFC owners to purchase DC United on 22:18 - Apr 18 with 3181 viewsRancid

Jobs and Chris nailed it in the first couple of posts.We're a certain type of club who will never sign established and extremely expensive players.We rely on a good manager who get's the best out of our average squad.

We occasionally unearth a gem or 2 for little money that others miss and that's the way it'll stay hopefully.
So now Levien is organizing 2-4 other SCFC owners to purchase DC United on 22:33 - Apr 18 with 3152 viewsDr_Winston

So now Levien is organizing 2-4 other SCFC owners to purchase DC United on 22:18 - Apr 18 by Rancid

Jobs and Chris nailed it in the first couple of posts.We're a certain type of club who will never sign established and extremely expensive players.We rely on a good manager who get's the best out of our average squad.

We occasionally unearth a gem or 2 for little money that others miss and that's the way it'll stay hopefully.

The biggest problem we've had, and the biggest mistake we've made, is moving away from what worked. We knew we needed players who were technically capable, but didn't need to be World beaters. They'd ultimately serve the system rather than the other way around. Under absolutely no circumstances should someone as unqualified and unsuitable as Garry Monk have been allowed to tear up a ten year old blueprint for success.

Since then Guidolin, Clement and Carvalhal have all taken over in the midst of relegation battles where desperation for points has taken precedence over trying to re-establish a workable plan. We're always too much in the shit to try and fix the systemic issues, and stupidity at board level has made a tough ask even harder.

Whilst I've never bought into the "this squad is League One class!" nonsense that dramatic types consistently spout in these parts, there's no doubt that we've made it harder than it needs to be for ourselves in recent summers. If we decide that Carvalhal is our guy we need to back him to the best of the clubs ability with players that he actually wants.

Problem is you just know the next catastrophically dumb decision is just around the corner. Ditching Carlos and giving Martinez the job again seems favourite at present.

So now Levien is organizing 2-4 other SCFC owners to purchase DC United on 22:41 - Apr 18 with 3142 viewsmax936

So now Levien is organizing 2-4 other SCFC owners to purchase DC United on 22:33 - Apr 18 by Dr_Winston

The biggest problem we've had, and the biggest mistake we've made, is moving away from what worked. We knew we needed players who were technically capable, but didn't need to be World beaters. They'd ultimately serve the system rather than the other way around. Under absolutely no circumstances should someone as unqualified and unsuitable as Garry Monk have been allowed to tear up a ten year old blueprint for success.

Since then Guidolin, Clement and Carvalhal have all taken over in the midst of relegation battles where desperation for points has taken precedence over trying to re-establish a workable plan. We're always too much in the shit to try and fix the systemic issues, and stupidity at board level has made a tough ask even harder.

Whilst I've never bought into the "this squad is League One class!" nonsense that dramatic types consistently spout in these parts, there's no doubt that we've made it harder than it needs to be for ourselves in recent summers. If we decide that Carvalhal is our guy we need to back him to the best of the clubs ability with players that he actually wants.

Problem is you just know the next catastrophically dumb decision is just around the corner. Ditching Carlos and giving Martinez the job again seems favourite at present.

The point should be as to who allowed Gary Monk to do it or was that the mandate he was given.?

Poll: Will it Snow this coming Winter

So now Levien is organizing 2-4 other SCFC owners to purchase DC United on 23:08 - Apr 18 with 3118 viewsTummer_from_Texas

So now Levien is organizing 2-4 other SCFC owners to purchase DC United on 22:03 - Apr 18 by TheResurrection

Lots of words..... All a pile of shit.

A good manager doesn't have to be an expensive one. We've never had an expensive one but we've had managers that were absolutely perfect for us, at least for a while.

A good manager doesn't just go out all American, like some tvvat Trump tickler, or Harry facking Redknapp, they look at what they've got and tweak it into their shape and system.

Carlos isn't expensive and neither has he wanted to go all gung-ho Yank and spend, spend, spend. He's made the best of what he's got and added conservatively.

You seem to be confusing me with the straw man in your head. But you've also confirmed that it was the messenger more than the message that triggered your hostility.

Where have I said we need to "spend, spend, spend?" Once this bizarre attack on me started, I very carefully clarified that I don't expect us to be even AVERAGE spenders, much less extravagant.

But we need some improvement this summer, so we will need to spend something. And with this ownership pursuing an MLS franchise, I'm more concerned that won't happen now.

If you don't think we need any improvement on the pitch and more quality depth in the squad, I'm just glad you're not in any position of authority on the subject.

But I don't think you even think that, hence this straw man argument you've created against an imaginary "gung-ho Yank" who wants to recklessly "spend, spend, spend;" just so you can show everyone what a brave defender of such noble, sound, and frugal principles you are, Don Quixote.
[Post edited 18 Apr 2018 23:57]

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024