Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Roy Bentley RIP 18:47 - Apr 20 with 8350 viewsJohnw102

Passed away aged 93

Never knew getting old would happen so quick!

Roy Bentley RIP on 21:24 - Apr 20 with 2966 viewsepaul

RIP Roy, Just before my time , Harry was the man when I started watching

The hair and the beard have gone I am now conforming to society, tis a sad day The b*stards are coming back though

Roy Bentley RIP on 21:25 - Apr 20 with 2964 viewsDarran

The first ever recipient of a Planet Swans Lifetime Achievement Award.
Poll: Who’s got the most experts

Roy Bentley RIP on 21:38 - Apr 20 with 2936 viewstheloneranger

Roy Bentley RIP on 21:13 - Apr 20 by swan65split

wasnt that the year we signed the City trio, Johnson . Hanvey ? henson?

Yep that's them.

Jeff Johnson tidy footballer, played the full season.

Keith Hanvey and Phil Henson didn't stay long once Harry Gregg turned up

I think Keith Hanvey went back to Manchester with a Swansea girl in his suitcase, 😂 married her and went onto play for Rochadale.

Everyday above ground ... Is a good day! 😎

Roy Bentley RIP on 22:15 - Apr 20 with 2914 viewsWarwickHunt

Roy Bentley RIP on 20:40 - Apr 20 by max936

When was you living in Phillip St? My Grand parents lived a few doors from Carolyn Harris and her parents.
One of the sons of a Family living virtually living opposite was the drummer in the Blow Monkeys,
[Post edited 20 Apr 2018 20:45]

Heh! Tony Kiley - he left our band to join the Blow Monkeys. Top bloke and a fûcking awesome drummer.

Married to Mike Hughes’ sister.
Roy Bentley RIP on 22:18 - Apr 20 with 2908 viewsmax936

Roy Bentley RIP on 22:15 - Apr 20 by WarwickHunt

Heh! Tony Kiley - he left our band to join the Blow Monkeys. Top bloke and a fûcking awesome drummer.

That was him I couldn't remember his name, one of three brothers I think it was 3 anyway, ain't seen any of them for more than 30 yrs, not that I'd recognise them mind.

Poll: Will it Snow this coming Winter

Roy Bentley RIP on 22:22 - Apr 20 with 2905 viewsmax936

Roy Bentley RIP on 22:15 - Apr 20 by WarwickHunt

http://illegaleagles.com/the-players/tony-kiley-2/

Roy Bentley RIP on 22:30 - Apr 20 with 2898 viewsWarwickHunt

Roy Bentley RIP on 22:18 - Apr 20 by max936

That was him I couldn't remember his name, one of three brothers I think it was 3 anyway, ain't seen any of them for more than 30 yrs, not that I'd recognise them mind.

Got a great story from him about the Blow Monkeys in a rough redneck bar when they were touring the USA after Digging Your Scene was a hit...

Hey boy - I seen you on the TV.

Oh aye - yeah...thanks...

You’re a FUÇKING FAGGÖT!

THey fücked off, sharpish.😂

I’ll pass on your regards when I next see him, Steve.
Roy Bentley RIP on 22:30 - Apr 20 with 2898 viewsSwanjaxs

Is anybody on here under 50? .... RIP Mr Bentley

You might think I've forgotten, but one day, when you least expect it, my time will come.
Poll: Celtic and Rangers should be fast tracked into the Championship ASAP

Login to get fewer ads

Roy Bentley RIP on 22:37 - Apr 20 with 2884 viewsmax936

Roy Bentley RIP on 22:30 - Apr 20 by WarwickHunt

Got a great story from him about the Blow Monkeys in a rough redneck bar when they were touring the USA after Digging Your Scene was a hit...

Hey boy - I seen you on the TV.

Oh aye - yeah...thanks...

You’re a FUÇKING FAGGÖT!

THey fücked off, sharpish.😂

I’ll pass on your regards when I next see him, Steve.

Roy Bentley RIP on 22:38 - Apr 20 with 2883 viewsKilkennyjack

Roy Bentley RIP on 20:48 - Apr 20 by max936

Yep and it still only allows women in there on Christmas day, John the milk Penock [related to Tony his Uncle] is the Steward there.

Enlightened family then.

Beware of the Risen People

Roy Bentley RIP on 22:43 - Apr 20 with 2875 viewstheloneranger

Roy Bentley RIP on 20:48 - Apr 20 by max936

Yep and it still only allows women in there on Christmas day, John the milk Penock [related to Tony his Uncle] is the Steward there.

Penocks used to drink regular in the Farmers Arms, Northill Road and sometimes in the Mountain Dew.
[Post edited 20 Apr 2018 22:44]

Roy Bentley RIP on 22:48 - Apr 20 with 2860 viewsTNT

Roy Bentley RIP on 21:24 - Apr 20 by epaul

RIP Roy, Just before my time , Harry was the man when I started watching

Me too. Great time to start watching The Swans it was too.

RIP RB

Poll: Would you make goalposts bigger?

Roy Bentley RIP on 22:59 - Apr 20 with 2850 viewstheloneranger

Roy Bentley RIP on 21:25 - Apr 20 by Darran

I think that's the 1970/71 squad ??

As a few on here are over 50 ish + 😂

Can you put some names to the faces??

Roy Bentley RIP on 23:02 - Apr 20 with 2847 viewslonglostjack

Saturday night in those days. Evening Post, cockles, vinegar and Corona pop. Roy Bentley RIP.

Poll: Alcohol in the lockdown

Roy Bentley RIP on 23:30 - Apr 20 with 2822 viewsTNT

Roy Bentley RIP on 23:02 - Apr 20 by longlostjack

Saturday night in those days. Evening Post, cockles, vinegar and Corona pop. Roy Bentley RIP.

To use the vernacular... Spo in po (shout).

Poll: Would you make goalposts bigger?

Roy Bentley RIP on 23:52 - Apr 20 with 2805 viewslonglostjack

Roy Bentley RIP on 23:30 - Apr 20 by TNT

To use the vernacular... Spo in po (shout).

Poll: Alcohol in the lockdown

Roy Bentley RIP on 08:30 - Apr 21 with 2724 viewsKilkennyjack

What a kit.

Thanks for posting Dazzer 👍.

Beware of the Risen People

Roy Bentley RIP on 10:25 - Apr 21 with 2693 viewstheloneranger

1970/71

Back Row. L/R

David Gwyther, Clive Slattery, Willie Sceen, Carl Slee, Tony Millington, Dai Davies, David Lawrence, Geoff Thomas, Herbie Williams, Doug Rosser

Front Row L/R

Roy Saunders, Len Allchurch, Len Hill, Alan Williams, Roy Bentley, Barry Hole, Brian Evans, Vic Gomersall, Harry Griffiths

Len Hill was one of those long lost breed of sportsmen who played professional football, first class cricket (for Glamorgan) and had a single handicap in golf.
[Post edited 21 Apr 2018 10:41]

Roy Bentley RIP on 11:22 - Apr 21 with 2647 viewsSTID2017

Roy Bentley RIP on 20:40 - Apr 20 by max936

When was you living in Phillip St? My Grand parents lived a few doors from Carolyn Harris and her parents.
One of the sons of a Family living virtually living opposite was the drummer in the Blow Monkeys,
[Post edited 20 Apr 2018 20:45]

Not sure as they'd moved to Clase when I was born (1961)

"Sanity and happiness are an impossible combination" - Mark Twain
Poll: Who Would You Want As Captain For Swans ?

Roy Bentley RIP on 12:40 - Apr 21 with 2628 viewsmax936

Roy Bentley RIP on 11:22 - Apr 21 by STID2017

Not sure as they'd moved to Clase when I was born (1961)

I'm a 61 baby as well, January

Roy Bentley RIP on 13:30 - Apr 21 with 2607 viewsTimBowen

I started supporting the Swans in the 1962 - 1963 season. Being a young lad at the time, my father and grandfather took me down to watch from the 'Open end' (or the East Stand as it was to become) as my 'blooding' into the 'family of Swans fans' began.

The first few seasons were a bit depressing, as up until Roy Bentley arrived as manager, we suffered two relegations in a couple of seasons I remember, From Division 2 (Championship) and Division 3 (League 1).

The Swansea City song recalls the event as...'And slowly we slipped down'...well for me at the time, there didn't seem much 'slowly' about it, it was a virtual implosion.

Then, under Roy Bentley's tenure, I witnessed my very first promotion as a Swans fan, in May 1970. The joy of that time was something that stays with me even now. Sadly, the excitement of that season didn't last too long, and after a couple of mid table finishes, we were relegated again. Followed two seasons after that (74/75), by us having to go 'cap in hand' to other clubs to get enough votes, to enable us to stay in the Football League.

Being a Swans fan in those days was like a 'school of hard knocks,' but through all the adversity, the 'love of a lifetime' was formed. A love that remains undiminished.

So thank you Roy Bentley, for giving me my first taste of success, during my formative years, in supporting the Swans.

RIP.
Roy Bentley RIP on 15:34 - Apr 21 with 2570 viewsJACKMANANDBOY

Great picture, good memories.

Besian Idrizaj Forever a Jack
Poll: When will Duff Revert to 4 at the Back

Roy Bentley RIP on 16:38 - Apr 21 with 2544 viewsJackflack

Roy Bentley RIP on 13:30 - Apr 21 by TimBowen

I started supporting the Swans in the 1962 - 1963 season. Being a young lad at the time, my father and grandfather took me down to watch from the 'Open end' (or the East Stand as it was to become) as my 'blooding' into the 'family of Swans fans' began.

The first few seasons were a bit depressing, as up until Roy Bentley arrived as manager, we suffered two relegations in a couple of seasons I remember, From Division 2 (Championship) and Division 3 (League 1).

The Swansea City song recalls the event as...'And slowly we slipped down'...well for me at the time, there didn't seem much 'slowly' about it, it was a virtual implosion.

Then, under Roy Bentley's tenure, I witnessed my very first promotion as a Swans fan, in May 1970. The joy of that time was something that stays with me even now. Sadly, the excitement of that season didn't last too long, and after a couple of mid table finishes, we were relegated again. Followed two seasons after that (74/75), by us having to go 'cap in hand' to other clubs to get enough votes, to enable us to stay in the Football League.

Being a Swans fan in those days was like a 'school of hard knocks,' but through all the adversity, the 'love of a lifetime' was formed. A love that remains undiminished.

So thank you Roy Bentley, for giving me my first taste of success, during my formative years, in supporting the Swans.

RIP.

My first match was 1970 v Aston Villa...
Then 1974/75 the season after re-election... was a total rebirth for us. I remember us signing some characters that season. Paul Harris from Orient, George Smith from either Brum or Cardiff, Geoff Bray who scored 19 goals... all at home. Jan Bekker from Everwarm ... he scored 3 goals in 12 games and didn’t last. My first away game was a 0-0 draw at Cardiff in the Welsh Cup. Was blown away by our away support. Great result at the time.
Roy Bentley RIP
LOTS OF MEMORIES
[Post edited 21 Apr 2018 16:39]

Lets be nice, we're all newbees on here.

Roy Bentley RIP on 21:53 - Apr 21 with 2482 viewsPrivate_Partz

Roy Bentley RIP on 13:30 - Apr 21 by TimBowen

RIP.

What a great post Tim.
It is surprising how we all seem to remember Roy with affection.
I noticed Lineker today announcing his passing and describing his career only to miss out on the fact he managed us. The crisp crunching twonk!

You have mission in life to hold out your hand, To help the other guy out, Help your fellow man. Stan Ridgway

Roy Bentley RIP on 21:59 - Apr 21 with 2474 viewsbonymine

Roy Bentley RIP on 15:34 - Apr 21 by JACKMANANDBOY

Great picture, good memories.

Harry Griffiths bottom right.....the Manager here when I started following the Swans at 9 years old in 1974/75 and Harry and his wife enjoyed nights out at the Heathcliffe Club in Mount Pleasant with my grandparents at that time very happy memories indeed 👍 ....

Poll: Why is this site so quiet these days ?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024