Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
So then, out of interest-What year did you all start supporting the Swans? 10:09 - Apr 23 with 15582 viewsmagicdaps10

Started myself 1988.

First game 1989 against Aldershot.......Peter Bodak scored the only goal in a 1-0 win.

Poll: Are the owners doing enough for Swansea City

So then, out of interest-What year did you all start supporting the Swans? on 06:01 - Apr 24 with 2422 viewsCaptain_Sham

So then, out of interest-What year did you all start supporting the Swans? on 21:32 - Apr 23 by thornabyswan

My favourite player was Mick Conway signed from Brighton for £3000
Jenkins signing according to a few on here

Cant be a Jenkins signing, he only signs the bad ones.

Its just a ride.

So then, out of interest-What year did you all start supporting the Swans? on 06:32 - Apr 24 with 2397 viewsjackal

Cup game against Man City. They stuffed us 3-0. Some things never change!
So then, out of interest-What year did you all start supporting the Swans? on 10:38 - Apr 24 with 2336 viewsTownhill_Hilton

So then, out of interest-What year did you all start supporting the Swans? on 10:47 - Apr 23 by swan65split

1964 during the cup run, it was a league game, cant remember who , as I was dragged along by my m8s, was a night game, under the decker, only thing that stood out for me then, was the plume of fag smoke emitting from the North Bank.......

Me too. Dad had moved us to England for work and I went and saw the Swans a year later at the Vetch before we moved to NZ. Was not to see the Swans live again for 49 years.
So then, out of interest-What year did you all start supporting the Swans? on 11:49 - Apr 24 with 2305 viewsKerouac

For me it was the FA Cup game Vs Liverpool in 1990.

An uncle of one of my cousin's turned up at my nan's to take him to the game as a surprise and I tagged along.
It was a good game and a good result for the Swans but interestingly I wasn't hooked and wouldn't be for 13 years.

Over the intervening period I saw countless Swans games. As a keen footballer myself I would get to Swans games with a group of lads from footie a handful of times a season (I used to naively think; "I could do better than half of these" !).
So I remember players from that era quite well, like Freestone, Cornforth, Andy Legg, Pat Ampadu etc. but as I hadn't got the bug and always went with a cool detachment there are big gaps in my knowledge of that team.
Always enjoyed the atmosphere on the North Bank though, far more exciting place to be than the Lib, somebody would always shout something which would make me laugh for days afterwards.

Although my journey to "fan" was a slow burner I was interested enough to get the portable TV out the back garden and watch us in the Auto-Windscreens final in 94, also remember doing the same when Molby's side got to Wembley and enjoying a few cans.

I started going more regular with a colleague who was a huge Jack at the fag end of Tony Petty era.
I remember him getting agitated about the goings on and trying to persuade me to cough up some money to help the supporters groups trying to raise funds (which I did)...I still didn't consider myself a Jack(!), I just liked footie.

What made me a Jack was that season under Bryan Flynn when we escaped relegation on the last day, beating Hull.
I only saw a few games at the beginning of the season with my buddy from work but I liked what I saw (the fact that we were trying to play better football).
I went travelling 2 months in.
When I ended up in Australia I went to lots of sporting events inbetween all the drinking and working in the sunshine; Queensland Reds game, Cricket, Soccer and F1 in Melbourne. Rugby League in Newcastle.
...and I really missed going to watch the Swans.
I realised that something I had taken for granted was actually quite special.

I monitored our season via internet cafes and when it looked like we would be relegated I felt a sense of dread.
The group of lads I had hooked up with had booked us all on to a trip to Fraser Island the weekend of the Hull game...no communications with the outside world on Fraser Island.
I had my family send me out a Swans top before we made the trip.
I wore it while sat around the camp fire and vowed to myself that when I went back home I would support my local club come what may from here on in...if there was a local club to support.

Over following years I became a proper sad c*nt like the rest of you (going to away games, buying the post every day for every scrap of news, spending money I couldn't really afford on a wet Tuesday night to watch our reserves play in the Johnstone Paint Trophy, getting myself a Cyril the Swan mug from the club shop in that terraced house just outside the Vetch, "watching" away games I couldn't get to via Ceefax...the whole f*cking lot!)

Was a great time to get on board though, we improved our league position ever since that first one in L2, the first season I called myself a Jack.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ss9VZ1FHxy0
Poll: Which manager should replace Russell Martin (2) ?

So then, out of interest-What year did you all start supporting the Swans? on 12:08 - Apr 24 with 2293 viewsDarran

So then, out of interest-What year did you all start supporting the Swans? on 11:49 - Apr 24 by Kerouac

For me it was the FA Cup game Vs Liverpool in 1990.

An uncle of one of my cousin's turned up at my nan's to take him to the game as a surprise and I tagged along.
It was a good game and a good result for the Swans but interestingly I wasn't hooked and wouldn't be for 13 years.

Over the intervening period I saw countless Swans games. As a keen footballer myself I would get to Swans games with a group of lads from footie a handful of times a season (I used to naively think; "I could do better than half of these" !).
So I remember players from that era quite well, like Freestone, Cornforth, Andy Legg, Pat Ampadu etc. but as I hadn't got the bug and always went with a cool detachment there are big gaps in my knowledge of that team.
Always enjoyed the atmosphere on the North Bank though, far more exciting place to be than the Lib, somebody would always shout something which would make me laugh for days afterwards.

Although my journey to "fan" was a slow burner I was interested enough to get the portable TV out the back garden and watch us in the Auto-Windscreens final in 94, also remember doing the same when Molby's side got to Wembley and enjoying a few cans.

I started going more regular with a colleague who was a huge Jack at the fag end of Tony Petty era.
I remember him getting agitated about the goings on and trying to persuade me to cough up some money to help the supporters groups trying to raise funds (which I did)...I still didn't consider myself a Jack(!), I just liked footie.

What made me a Jack was that season under Bryan Flynn when we escaped relegation on the last day, beating Hull.
I only saw a few games at the beginning of the season with my buddy from work but I liked what I saw (the fact that we were trying to play better football).
I went travelling 2 months in.
When I ended up in Australia I went to lots of sporting events inbetween all the drinking and working in the sunshine; Queensland Reds game, Cricket, Soccer and F1 in Melbourne. Rugby League in Newcastle.
...and I really missed going to watch the Swans.
I realised that something I had taken for granted was actually quite special.

I monitored our season via internet cafes and when it looked like we would be relegated I felt a sense of dread.
The group of lads I had hooked up with had booked us all on to a trip to Fraser Island the weekend of the Hull game...no communications with the outside world on Fraser Island.
I had my family send me out a Swans top before we made the trip.
I wore it while sat around the camp fire and vowed to myself that when I went back home I would support my local club come what may from here on in...if there was a local club to support.

Over following years I became a proper sad c*nt like the rest of you (going to away games, buying the post every day for every scrap of news, spending money I couldn't really afford on a wet Tuesday night to watch our reserves play in the Johnstone Paint Trophy, getting myself a Cyril the Swan mug from the club shop in that terraced house just outside the Vetch, "watching" away games I couldn't get to via Ceefax...the whole f*cking lot!)

Was a great time to get on board though, we improved our league position ever since that first one in L2, the first season I called myself a Jack.

That’s a very nice post. Beautiful stuff.

The first ever recipient of a Planet Swans Lifetime Achievement Award.
Poll: Who’s got the most experts

So then, out of interest-What year did you all start supporting the Swans? on 13:16 - Apr 24 with 2243 viewsNeath_Jack

How the f*ck you lot can remember a game you went to 30/40/50 years ago, and remember the scorers etc?

Nah, i'm not having that. Google is your friend i guess.

I want a mate like Flashberryjacks, who wears a Barnsley jersey with "Swans are my second team" on the back.
Poll: Would you support military action against Syria on what we know so far?

So then, out of interest-What year did you all start supporting the Swans? on 13:27 - Apr 24 with 2238 viewsRissoleCoughlin

My first game at the Vetch would've been around 1983 or 1984, and was against Watford. I have no idea what the result was and didn't really pay any attention to what was happening on the pitch because at the time I had zero interest in football. Unsurprisingly my father didn't bother taking me again that season, nor for the next few that followed.

The spark that ignited me actually came from a Primary School teacher who loved football and gave up his own free time for us to play 5-a-side matches after school. Through the enjoyment of actually playing the game came the desire to watch it live. I begged my father to take me to another game, which he did. And this one I do remember - a midweek 3rd round Welsh Cup match at home to Newport County at The Vetch in November 1986. We lost 3-1 and I'm sure Terry Phelan scored an own goal, heading it back over Mike Hughes' outstretched arm.

But from that moment on I asked my father to take me to every game.
So then, out of interest-What year did you all start supporting the Swans? on 14:06 - Apr 24 with 2218 viewsDewi1jack

So then, out of interest-What year did you all start supporting the Swans? on 13:16 - Apr 24 by Neath_Jack

How the f*ck you lot can remember a game you went to 30/40/50 years ago, and remember the scorers etc?

I struggle to remember the scorers from this season.
Remember the "Wordly" goalscorers and some of the games- get the team confused on others.
Remember the score in my first game ever, because I found the programme when I moved and always wrote the score down after the games- have rarely bought a programme over the last 5/6 years anyway and not a home one in this or the last season at all.

Some people posting stuff that triggers memories, fond and grim on here.
Doesn't really matter if they're using Google or not. It helps those of us with memory problems/ disabilities, remember other things.
So many thanks to all posters on this and similar threads.

If you wake up breathing, thats a good start to your day and you'll make many thousands of people envious.

Login to get fewer ads

So then, out of interest-What year did you all start supporting the Swans? on 14:14 - Apr 24 with 2211 viewsLeonWasGod

So then, out of interest-What year did you all start supporting the Swans? on 13:16 - Apr 24 by Neath_Jack

Quite. I'm lucky if I remember whether I went last weekend or not, never mind who scored and what colour eyes he had.

Around Easter 2005 is the best I can do for my first visit match down the Vetch when I was visiting my missus to be. I think this was the last season at the Vetch. I remember it being a nice sunny afternoon and the opposition were a team from the eastern side of the country. Some bloke called Trundle scored at least one, and I'm pretty sure 'we' won. Just had a look at that season on Wiki, and it was probably Cambridge. Trundle got 2 late goals to seal a 3-0 win, with Andy Andy Robinson getting the first.

That first game didn't really mean a lot to me tbh. It was a nice afternoon out in the sunshine and the overriding memory was one of 'blimey, do they still allow grounds like this' . That south stand with the wooden walkways would have gone up like a bonfire from a carelessly thrown match/ciggy. Seemed like a throwback to the 1800s to me.

Little did I know at the time that I'd be moving down to Swansea the following autumn. Over the next couple of years I was working away, but slowly started going to more games when I was back at weekends. Then when I found a job in Swansea it got to a point where I started going midweek as well as weekends, so by the time we were in the Championship I was paying more than if I'd had a ST.

Supporting us very much crept up on me unexpected. I think the first season I really started to mean a lot was, ironically, under Sousa. I managed to get to pretty much every home game that year, despite it being as dull as dish water most of the time. But it mattered.

It was a no-brainer then to take up the ST offers they were running in Brenda's first season. And the rest is history. Apart from missing the first half of this season due to being overseas, I've been pretty much ever present since. Plastic see!
So then, out of interest-What year did you all start supporting the Swans? on 14:26 - Apr 24 with 2201 viewssherpajacob

https://www.11v11.com/matches/swansea-city-v-sheffield-wednesday-27-september-19

1980 2-3 defeat at home to Sheff wed

I remember Jeremy Charles scored one of our goals. Was underneath the double decker.

Poll: Your favourite ever Swans shirt sponsor?

So then, out of interest-What year did you all start supporting the Swans? on 15:00 - Apr 24 with 2174 viewsthornabyswan

Yes you would think that but I remember reading Fever Pitch by Nick Hornby.
He mentions how he remembers scores and games from years ago.
Even says how he has been in the pub with mates and they will mention a game and get the score wrong but so not to look a complete geek will not mention it.
There must be plenty on here who can relate to that.

Poll: Would you like Cooper to stay or go (regardless of compensation situation)

So then, out of interest-What year did you all start supporting the Swans? on 15:21 - Apr 24 with 2152 viewsPorthcawlswan

95 was my first home game, aged 6
So then, out of interest-What year did you all start supporting the Swans? on 15:59 - Apr 24 with 2121 viewsblaenaugwentjack

Vetch field, alan cork was manager, Macclesfield? i think.
So then, out of interest-What year did you all start supporting the Swans? on 16:09 - Apr 24 with 2115 viewsSwanseaman

So then, out of interest-What year did you all start supporting the Swans? on 02:17 - Apr 24 by BillClem

Started following the Swans in 1946/7 season. Had just passed 11plus and a gang of us used to go the the Vetch . After the war there were several players from N. Ireland MacCrory, Feeney Lockhart were a few. Also saw Trevor Ford, Roy Paul and a few others (cant remember their names). I remember us playing Man City, Spurs also Newport. The old 2nd Div was a tough one. I believe Roy Paul went to BogataSouth America being one of the first British players to do so.Still Have my season ticket for next season whatever Div we are in.

That's the earliest one Bill, well done :)

The only player you've mentioned that I've heard of is Trevor Ford, that's because I found an old pic of him the other day, post here:

Old pic of Swans player, [NOW IDENTIFIED AS TREVOR FORD] is it John Charles? by Swanseaman 22 Dec 2017 13:27
Pic I found, is it John Charles?

http://oi64.tinypic.com/ajl8jq.jpg

Poll: Would you have Jenkins back if he found wealthy oil sheikhs to buy out the Yanks

So then, out of interest-What year did you all start supporting the Swans? on 16:23 - Apr 24 with 2095 viewsCaptain_Sham

Try googling the Swansea goalscorers from particular games in the 60 s and 70s then scoff. There are no records from that early. Certainly not online. Soccerbase doesn't even have the line ups from that far back.
I can remember all sorts of things about the games even back to the mid seventies. Its actually quite sad that this would annoy you. And funny.
[Post edited 24 Apr 2018 16:33]

Its just a ride.

So then, out of interest-What year did you all start supporting the Swans? on 16:27 - Apr 24 with 2084 viewsswanscopout

January 1968 cup game v Brighton at the Vetch. Started going as a regular in 1975 including my first away game at Workington ... Christ we were awful..
So then, out of interest-What year did you all start supporting the Swans? on 16:44 - Apr 24 with 2060 viewsCaptain_Sham

So then, out of interest-What year did you all start supporting the Swans? on 15:00 - Apr 24 by thornabyswan

Yes you would think that but I remember reading Fever Pitch by Nick Hornby.
He mentions how he remembers scores and games from years ago.
Even says how he has been in the pub with mates and they will mention a game and get the score wrong but so not to look a complete geek will not mention it.
There must be plenty on here who can relate to that.

Totally agree. Fever Pitch is a great book.

Its just a ride.

So then, out of interest-What year did you all start supporting the Swans? on 17:22 - Apr 24 with 2019 viewsDarran

So then, out of interest-What year did you all start supporting the Swans? on 23:31 - Apr 23 by swancity

Just looked up the result 2-1 to Villa so not a thrashing

Hahahahaha what a fuçking idiot Oldjack really is.

The first ever recipient of a Planet Swans Lifetime Achievement Award.
Poll: Who’s got the most experts

So then, out of interest-What year did you all start supporting the Swans? on 17:24 - Apr 24 with 2016 viewsoldgrey

1964. Home game against Leeds. We lost 0-3. The year Leeds got promoted.
So then, out of interest-What year did you all start supporting the Swans? on 19:50 - Apr 24 with 1956 viewsBloodyhills

What you don't understand is that when you get older. remembering what happened 30 years is ago is easy, it's remembering what happened last week that's bloody hard.

Poll: Who wants the Swans to lose games get relegated to get rid of Huw and the yanks.

So then, out of interest-What year did you all start supporting the Swans? on 19:54 - Apr 24 with 1951 viewsNeath_Jack

So then, out of interest-What year did you all start supporting the Swans? on 16:23 - Apr 24 by Captain_Sham

Try googling the Swansea goalscorers from particular games in the 60 s and 70s then scoff. There are no records from that early. Certainly not online. Soccerbase doesn't even have the line ups from that far back.
I can remember all sorts of things about the games even back to the mid seventies. Its actually quite sad that this would annoy you. And funny.
[Post edited 24 Apr 2018 16:33]

Where exactly does it say that it annoys me then? You can remember the 70's but you can't remember what i typed, even when quoting me?

Leave it there now is it.

I want a mate like Flashberryjacks, who wears a Barnsley jersey with "Swans are my second team" on the back.

So then, out of interest-What year did you all start supporting the Swans? on 19:57 - Apr 24 with 1942 viewsPhil_S

I always believed for many years that the first game I saw was against Birmingham and that Robbie James scored the winner. I thought it was 1979

Trouble is that game and result never happened in 1979

So therefore I will just go as far as saying it was around that time...

Like Neath_Jack I remember little from games gone by bar some of the more special moments. Couldn't even tell you who scored for us against Man City on Sunday
So then, out of interest-What year did you all start supporting the Swans? on 19:58 - Apr 24 with 1940 viewsthornabyswan

So then, out of interest-What year did you all start supporting the Swans? on 19:54 - Apr 24 by Neath_Jack

Where exactly does it say that it annoys me then? You can remember the 70's but you can't remember what i typed, even when quoting me?

Leave it there now is it.

But you did come out with some rubbish about Google didn't you.
I can only vouch for myself but I can remember scores of lots of games I attended over 30 or 40 years ago.
Weird but there you go.
Sometimes you just need to take things at face value mate.
[Post edited 24 Apr 2018 19:59]

Poll: Would you like Cooper to stay or go (regardless of compensation situation)

So then, out of interest-What year did you all start supporting the Swans? on 20:01 - Apr 24 with 1928 viewsNeath_Jack

So then, out of interest-What year did you all start supporting the Swans? on 19:58 - Apr 24 by thornabyswan

But you did come out with some rubbish about Google didn't you.
I can only vouch for myself but I can remember scores of lots of games I attended over 30 or 40 years ago.
Weird but there you go.
Sometimes you just need to take things at face value mate.
[Post edited 24 Apr 2018 19:59]

I did yeah, because i'm a cynical c*nt.

So then, out of interest-What year did you all start supporting the Swans? on 20:03 - Apr 24 with 1923 viewsthornabyswan

So then, out of interest-What year did you all start supporting the Swans? on 20:01 - Apr 24 by Neath_Jack

I did yeah, because i'm a cynical c*nt.

Fair enough

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024