Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
So then, out of interest-What year did you all start supporting the Swans? 10:09 - Apr 23 with 15447 viewsmagicdaps10

Started myself 1988.

First game 1989 against Aldershot.......Peter Bodak scored the only goal in a 1-0 win.

Poll: Are the owners doing enough for Swansea City

So then, out of interest-What year did you all start supporting the Swans? on 21:03 - Apr 24 with 2054 viewsepaul

Oct 75 beat Darlington 2 nil, my old man took me down with his mates 2 brothers some of you might have heard of Steve and John Duggan (who did the original 92 grounds) Anyways, couldnt see a thing but was mesmerised. A love affair was born

The hair and the beard have gone I am now conforming to society, tis a sad day The b*stards are coming back though

So then, out of interest-What year did you all start supporting the Swans? on 21:10 - Apr 24 with 2038 viewsTheResurrection

So then, out of interest-What year did you all start supporting the Swans? on 16:23 - Apr 24 by Captain_Sham

Try googling the Swansea goalscorers from particular games in the 60 s and 70s then scoff. There are no records from that early. Certainly not online. Soccerbase doesn't even have the line ups from that far back.
I can remember all sorts of things about the games even back to the mid seventies. Its actually quite sad that this would annoy you. And funny.
[Post edited 24 Apr 2018 16:33]

You need a Rothman's or whatever it was called.

I also can't remember my first game. It was either in Division 2 or 3 when Tosh took over. I have very vague memories of certain parts, like the crazy Chelsea keeper, was it Bonnetti? And that's only because my old man would talk of him. I clearly remember the balloons from the new East stand opening against West Ham and I had my first season ticket the year we got promoted to the old first division. My old girl even came once or twice until Man City attacked inside the North Bank, she never returned again, but I was both fascinated and afraid at the same time.

Probably the reason why I don't remember much in the early days was because we'd not see much of the game. Our spot was above the left hand (East side) tunnel on the North Bank and for the start of the games id be sat on the barrier eagerly awaiting kick off, but sooner or later id be messing around running around the back of the Bank in between the barriers and causing a nuisance of myself.

This was the pattern for the next 8 or so years until I started going with mates and moving across to the away end side. Plenty of times in the Centre Stand over the years but always a North Bank boy.

Memories that will last forever and same as Kerouc, the crack from the banter on the Bank and the abuse to the away players was most of the fun, better than the football a lot of the time and by fack it was intimidating in those days.

God bless The Vetch ❤⚽

* BOX OFFICE POST ABOVE* TM I am the resurrection and i am the light. I couldn’t ever bring myself to hate you as i’d like
Poll: Is it time for the Trust to make change happen?

So then, out of interest-What year did you all start supporting the Swans? on 21:12 - Apr 24 with 2017 viewsSTID2017

So then, out of interest-What year did you all start supporting the Swans? on 21:03 - Apr 24 by epaul

Oct 75 beat Darlington 2 nil, my old man took me down with his mates 2 brothers some of you might have heard of Steve and John Duggan (who did the original 92 grounds) Anyways, couldnt see a thing but was mesmerised. A love affair was born

Pretty sure Geoff Bray scored both goals

"Sanity and happiness are an impossible combination" - Mark Twain
Poll: Who Would You Want As Captain For Swans ?

So then, out of interest-What year did you all start supporting the Swans? on 21:50 - Apr 24 with 2020 viewsSwansNZ

So then, out of interest-What year did you all start supporting the Swans? on 13:16 - Apr 24 by Neath_Jack

How the f*ck you lot can remember a game you went to 30/40/50 years ago, and remember the scorers etc?

Nah, i'm not having that. Google is your friend i guess.

Easter (Monday I think) 1977, 3-0 v Bournemouth.

Pretty easy to remember the scorers, when they were, Robbie, Charlo and Curt.

Double header that day, also watched the Whites v Baa-Baas. No idea of the score, or scorers

Poll: Should the official match day thread include pictures?

So then, out of interest-What year did you all start supporting the Swans? on 22:03 - Apr 24 with 1979 viewsSTID2017

So then, out of interest-What year did you all start supporting the Swans? on 21:10 - Apr 24 by TheResurrection

I also can't remember my first game. It was either in Division 2 or 3 when Tosh took over. I have very vague memories of certain parts, like the crazy Chelsea keeper, was it Bonnetti? And that's only because my old man would talk of him. I clearly remember the balloons from the new East stand opening against West Ham and I had my first season ticket the year we got promoted to the old first division. My old girl even came once or twice until Man City attacked inside the North Bank, she never returned again, but I was both fascinated and afraid at the same time.

Probably the reason why I don't remember much in the early days was because we'd not see much of the game. Our spot was above the left hand (East side) tunnel on the North Bank and for the start of the games id be sat on the barrier eagerly awaiting kick off, but sooner or later id be messing around running around the back of the Bank in between the barriers and causing a nuisance of myself.

This was the pattern for the next 8 or so years until I started going with mates and moving across to the away end side. Plenty of times in the Centre Stand over the years but always a North Bank boy.

Memories that will last forever and same as Kerouc, the crack from the banter on the Bank and the abuse to the away players was most of the fun, better than the football a lot of the time and by fack it was intimidating in those days.

God bless The Vetch ❤⚽

"Running around .... causing a nuisance of myself . " - some things never change, eh ?
Just kidding.
Nice to hear all these old memories, but I'm sure the keeper was called Borac or something ?
Edit:
His name was Petar Borota a Yugoslavian keeper
[Post edited 24 Apr 2018 22:09]

So then, out of interest-What year did you all start supporting the Swans? on 22:12 - Apr 24 with 1967 viewsSTID2017

So then, out of interest-What year did you all start supporting the Swans? on 10:14 - Apr 23 by sainthelens

First game...a 4-4 draw v Rotherham from 4-1 down. Forget the year...maybe 76? Not sure.

1978 I believe. A certain David Gwyther (related to our groundsman at the Vetch of the same name) scored a hat trick for them I believe ?

So then, out of interest-What year did you all start supporting the Swans? on 22:16 - Apr 24 with 1974 viewsCaptain_Sham

So then, out of interest-What year did you all start supporting the Swans? on 21:10 - Apr 24 by TheResurrection

God bless The Vetch ❤⚽

I think you're thinking of Peter Borota. He was a looney for sure.

Its just a ride.

So then, out of interest-What year did you all start supporting the Swans? on 22:18 - Apr 24 with 1953 viewsSTID2017

So then, out of interest-What year did you all start supporting the Swans? on 22:16 - Apr 24 by Captain_Sham

I think you're thinking of Peter Borota. He was a looney for sure.

I put that earlier - Google's a wonderful thing !

Login to get fewer ads

So then, out of interest-What year did you all start supporting the Swans? on 22:20 - Apr 24 with 1967 viewsCaptain_Sham

So then, out of interest-What year did you all start supporting the Swans? on 21:50 - Apr 24 by SwansNZ

Easter (Monday I think) 1977, 3-0 v Bournemouth.

Pretty easy to remember the scorers, when they were, Robbie, Charlo and Curt.

Double header that day, also watched the Whites v Baa-Baas. No idea of the score, or scorers

I will never forget that game for the simple reason that the very next day we played another home league game and won that too. Football was crayzee in them days.( We played 5 games in 8 days ROFL)
[Post edited 24 Apr 2018 22:22]

Its just a ride.

So then, out of interest-What year did you all start supporting the Swans? on 06:32 - Apr 25 with 1868 viewsSTID2017

So then, out of interest-What year did you all start supporting the Swans? on 22:20 - Apr 24 by Captain_Sham

I will never forget that game for the simple reason that the very next day we played another home league game and won that too. Football was crayzee in them days.( We played 5 games in 8 days ROFL)
[Post edited 24 Apr 2018 22:22]

The following Easter (not long after Tosh had joined us) was incredible.
Reading Good Friday afternoon : 4-1 win away
Bournemouth Saturday afternoon : 1-0 (I believe) win at the Vetch
Torquay Easter Monday morning : 4-2 win away
Pretty sure the following Saturday we played Brentford home (2-0 or 2-1 win) and the highlights were on MOTD

So then, out of interest-What year did you all start supporting the Swans? on 07:33 - Apr 25 with 1861 viewsPrivate_Partz

So then, out of interest-What year did you all start supporting the Swans? on 12:05 - Apr 23 by Jinxy

1977 - my father and I used to go and watch the Swans while my mum went shopping. I loved the evening games too, as someone has said that first splash of luminous green from the North bank entrance. He and I watched the dramatic rise to the top, and I never thought I'd see it again. I started taking my youngest son in 2007, and still can't believe I/we watched it all happen again. The spooky (but nice) thing is that the age gap between my and my son is the same as me and my dad (quite a gap!), so it felt like I was him watching me, if you get my drift! The only sad thing my dad never saw our meteoric rise part#2. Knowing how hard it would be for a club like us to do it all again makes it soooo important for us to stay in the PL and stabilise again.

Lovely story.
It was very similar with me.
My father had a season ticket in the South stand and used to take me along to some reserve matches and the odd first team.
Not interested in sport, I was bored Sh!tless at times although it always amazed me how my mild mannered father would turn into a screaming madman at matches.
If you think the Vetch was spectacular going upthe tunnels well it certainly was in the South Stand for evening matches, Climb the stairs at the back and suddenly you were in this dazzling light with a huge mass of people in front of you in comparative darkness. Broken only by the light of lighters as fags and pipes were stoked up. Smoke billowing out the roof. I lkened it it to the view of the steel works from the back of my great uncles house in Courtney Street, Cwmbrla. That was bloody frightening as well.
It was the Arsenal cup match in 1966 that finally turned it for me. Lost one nil in an heroic performance. Bobby Gould getting the goal. Hardly missed a match since.
[Post edited 25 Apr 2018 7:34]

You have mission in life to hold out your hand, To help the other guy out, Help your fellow man. Stan Ridgway

So then, out of interest-What year did you all start supporting the Swans? on 07:52 - Apr 25 with 1832 viewsMuteswan

So then, out of interest-What year did you all start supporting the Swans? on 07:33 - Apr 25 by Private_Partz

Lovely story.
My father had a season ticket in the South stand and used to take me along to some reserve matches and the odd first team.
Not interested in sport, I was bored Sh!tless at times although it always amazed me how my mild mannered father would turn into a screaming madman at matches.
If you think the Vetch was spectacular going upthe tunnels well it certainly was in the South Stand for evening matches, Climb the stairs at the back and suddenly you were in this dazzling light with a huge mass of people in front of you in comparative darkness. Broken only by the light of lighters as fags and pipes were stoked up. Smoke billowing out the roof. I lkened it it to the view of the steel works from the back of my great uncles house in Courtney Street, Cwmbrla. That was bloody frightening as well.
It was the Arsenal cup match in 1966 that finally turned it for me. Lost one nil in an heroic performance. Bobby Gould getting the goal. Hardly missed a match since.

PP I think you and I are of a similar age, I also went to the Arsenal match, but I think it was 1968. Age doesn’t come alone 🙄
They had a fantastic side at that time!
So then, out of interest-What year did you all start supporting the Swans? on 08:06 - Apr 25 with 1819 viewsJinxy

So then, out of interest-What year did you all start supporting the Swans? on 07:33 - Apr 25 by Private_Partz

Lovely story.

That's a nice memory too - thank you (and others) for kind comments. Like many on here, I can't remember my first game, or many specific games to be honest - I'm lucky if I remember what I did yesterday, let alone 40 years ago!
We didn't live locally at the time, and used to park by a cash and carry (my father "acquired" a card to shop there!) where Parc Tawe now sits. We returned back to my shiny new mini one evening and it wouldn't start. So, we found a phone box and called my mum who drove over and picked us up. The police rang us the next day to say the windows had been smashed and my stereo had been pinched. Turns out the plug leads had been swapped over - the vandals/thieves probably played the % game and were watching us trying to start it! Coupled with my lovely motorbike getting pinched outside the stadium during the spurs game (yes, THAT one) last season, I have paid a heavy vehicular price following the Swans! All in all great memories though. One thing I will say is that football really cements a parent/child relationship - even when things were frosty between us, me and my father could always talk football. Same with me and my youngest now.
[Post edited 25 Apr 2018 8:07]
So then, out of interest-What year did you all start supporting the Swans? on 19:35 - Apr 27 with 1712 viewsmikecranleigh

First game I remember was 1969 but possibly taken down the Vetch before that
So then, out of interest-What year did you all start supporting the Swans? on 19:44 - Apr 27 with 1707 viewsbonymine

So then, out of interest-What year did you all start supporting the Swans? on 11:35 - Apr 23 by Darran

I was talking to Alan Beer a little while ago he’s working in Trainer BMW.

I was on a lads trip to Spain last year we were in a bar and a mate of mine said randomly ‘that’s Alan Beer over there with his missus ...’

We all said WTF are you on about then he went over to him and it was indeed Alan Beer....I don’t know who was more shocked the rest of us or Alan’s wife as somebody had recognised him as a footballer .....she was a WAG at last 😂😂😂

Poll: Why is this site so quiet these days ?

So then, out of interest-What year did you all start supporting the Swans? on 19:53 - Apr 27 with 1698 viewsbonymine

I remember it was just after the season for re-Election under Harry Griffiths but can’t remember the opposition.

Some incredible games I witnessed from the old Double Decker including Dai Gwyther scoring a hat trick for Rotherham against us I think we drew 4-4 after being 4-1 down with about 10 minutes to go !

Promotion from Div 4 v Halifax, promotion from Div 3 v Chesterfield (2-1 under the lights Tosh came on to score) Preston away to get to Div 1 then Leeds at home 5-1 in Div 1 .....I feel short of breath just recalling those games !

Together with some Div 4 games against the likes of Workington and Southport plus FA Cup games against such teams as Minehead (lost 0-1 I think) and Hayes (lots of fighting).

Great memories indeed.

Poll: Why is this site so quiet these days ?

So then, out of interest-What year did you all start supporting the Swans? on 22:14 - Apr 27 with 1669 viewsspiderboy

81...1st game I seen, we hammered leeds..
Never looked back since!
So then, out of interest-What year did you all start supporting the Swans? on 22:38 - Apr 27 with 1649 viewsswan65split

So then, out of interest-What year did you all start supporting the Swans? on 07:52 - Apr 25 by Muteswan

PP I think you and I are of a similar age, I also went to the Arsenal match, but I think it was 1968. Age doesn’t come alone 🙄
They had a fantastic side at that time!

yep it was 68, the Gooners skinheads ran and messed up the market a bit I remember.
The round before that game we beat Donny away, my well remembered weekend, left by coach from the station Friday night at midnight, returned and dropped off in Swansea at 5 am Sunday Morning.
my claim to fame running across the donny pitch at the end after we had beat them........it seemed endless!! it was the biggest pitch in the FL at the time.
So then, out of interest-What year did you all start supporting the Swans? on 00:58 - Apr 28 with 1620 viewscosy121

My first game was around 1960,my dad would take me on the north bank.i would sit on the steel posts you were meant to lean against.my first away was Liverpool in the cup,our bus was stoned on the way out of Liverpool we traveled all the way home without Windows.my next away was villa park were we lost to West Ham.i remember at the time people were saying our keeper think it was Dwyer took a bribe.my best away trip as a child was Leeds after the game I got on the bus dreading the long trip home.fell asleep in the car park ,then was woken up when we arrived back the next day.
So then, out of interest-What year did you all start supporting the Swans? on 01:00 - Apr 28 with 1619 viewsTNT

My brother supported The Swans in the sixties and early seventies, before work took him to London. He took me to a few combination games in the early seventies and a league game. I went of my own volition in October '76, when The Swans beat Southport 2-1 (Robbie James 2, Att 3,700 in Division 4). I was hooked. The following home game was a night game, when The Swans beat Brentford 5-3. I can relate to others' memories of walking on to The North Bank for a night game - brilliant. I've missed seven home league games since. My brother had used an old Beano annual as a Swans scrapbook in the late 60s, early 70s, which prompted me to start one when I started going, and which I've since kept going until present day. So, it's all my brother's fault!
Sadly, he passed away last October, and I'm going down to the site of the old North Bank, Vetch Field, before tomorrow's game to lay flowers to mark his birthday.

Poll: Would you make goalposts bigger?

So then, out of interest-What year did you all start supporting the Swans? on 01:40 - Apr 28 with 1608 viewsjackharris

My first Swans game (when I was 9) was a night match and a 2-0 loss to Hull City in the 1984/85 season. Absolutely loved it. I went with friends of my parents and their children. Sat in the main stand. John Bond was Manager and Dean Saunders was playing. Crowd: 4,104.

My first actual visit to the Vetch was in Primary School to see Wales under 14 Versus England Under 14s... in 1984... There were some players in the England squad who made it big.

Very proud to be voted Planet Swans Poster of the Year 2017 by my fellow posters. Especially on a site that nearly had 20 million impressions last year.
Poll: What is your favourite Knock?

So then, out of interest-What year did you all start supporting the Swans? on 01:57 - Apr 28 with 1606 viewslonglostjack

So then, out of interest-What year did you all start supporting the Swans? on 01:00 - Apr 28 by TNT

My brother supported The Swans in the sixties and early seventies, before work took him to London. He took me to a few combination games in the early seventies and a league game. I went of my own volition in October '76, when The Swans beat Southport 2-1 (Robbie James 2, Att 3,700 in Division 4). I was hooked. The following home game was a night game, when The Swans beat Brentford 5-3. I can relate to others' memories of walking on to The North Bank for a night game - brilliant. I've missed seven home league games since. My brother had used an old Beano annual as a Swans scrapbook in the late 60s, early 70s, which prompted me to start one when I started going, and which I've since kept going until present day. So, it's all my brother's fault!
Sadly, he passed away last October, and I'm going down to the site of the old North Bank, Vetch Field, before tomorrow's game to lay flowers to mark his birthday.

YJB

Poll: Alcohol in the lockdown

So then, out of interest-What year did you all start supporting the Swans? on 09:04 - Apr 28 with 1547 viewsbarry_island

1970 v Rhyl in the F A Cup, we won 6-1, though my father had taken me to see a few reserve games before that. I can vaguely remember collecting used fireworks around the North Bank whilst my Dad watched our reserves battle out a 0-0 with Chelsea.

Swansea City, THE Austerity Club.

So then, out of interest-What year did you all start supporting the Swans? on 09:19 - Apr 28 with 1534 viewsswan65split

So then, out of interest-What year did you all start supporting the Swans? on 09:04 - Apr 28 by barry_island

1970 v Rhyl in the F A Cup, we won 6-1, though my father had taken me to see a few reserve games before that. I can vaguely remember collecting used fireworks around the North Bank whilst my Dad watched our reserves battle out a 0-0 with Chelsea.

Millington Brothers in goal for Swans and Rhyl

Funnily enough I was at that Chelsea game, Peter houseman and Webby , were playing I remember.
So then, out of interest-What year did you all start supporting the Swans? on 09:29 - Apr 28 with 1521 viewsbarry_island

So then, out of interest-What year did you all start supporting the Swans? on 09:19 - Apr 28 by swan65split

Millington Brothers in goal for Swans and Rhyl

Funnily enough I was at that Chelsea game, Peter houseman and Webby , were playing I remember.

My father was pretty fanatical about the Swans. His first game had been v Barnsley in about 1934, which we won 2-0, he could even remember the bus journey down to the game with his uncle.

Later, If he was working late doing "darkers" I can remember him going down to see the second half of games.

Being with him for the Autoglass win at Wembley is a pretty special memory, along with the Matthew Bound Cardiff game.

Swansea City, THE Austerity Club.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024