Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Any gas boiler engineers on here please? 23:33 - Apr 25 with 6468 viewsAndy1300

Our boiler has decided to trip the mains power, sometimes after a minute or so, sometimes after 10 seconds.

It's a Glo worm ultra com 38cxi

I have had to isolate it at the spur otherwise it cuts all power to downstairs sockets and lights

Any ideas on cause and cost to fix?

Thanks in advance

Number 1 team in Wales

Any gas boiler engineers on here please? on 19:04 - Apr 26 with 4378 viewsmax936

Is the boiler itself working or does it just trip as soon as you turn it on taking the rest of the outlets with it?

Poll: Will it Snow this coming Winter

Any gas boiler engineers on here please? on 21:04 - Apr 26 with 4330 viewsAndy1300

Any gas boiler engineers on here please? on 19:04 - Apr 26 by max936

Is the boiler itself working or does it just trip as soon as you turn it on taking the rest of the outlets with it?

It turns on, if we are lucky we get about 30 - 40 seconds of hot water before it trips out

Number 1 team in Wales

Any gas boiler engineers on here please? on 21:12 - Apr 26 with 4319 viewsGowerjack

Any gas boiler engineers on here please? on 21:04 - Apr 26 by Andy1300

It turns on, if we are lucky we get about 30 - 40 seconds of hot water before it trips out

I'm no expert but the fact that it works for 30 seconds or so gets me thinking it could be an leak under pressure that is causing a short circuit ,current to earth and setting off the rcd

If you can get access have a look for damp or corroded connections on the mains block or control wiring.

Just make sure you isolate it at the spur first!

Plastic since 1974
Poll: Is ECB for tyranny?

Any gas boiler engineers on here please? on 21:31 - Apr 26 with 4303 viewsAndy1300

Any gas boiler engineers on here please? on 21:12 - Apr 26 by Gowerjack

I'm no expert but the fact that it works for 30 seconds or so gets me thinking it could be an leak under pressure that is causing a short circuit ,current to earth and setting off the rcd

If you can get access have a look for damp or corroded connections on the mains block or control wiring.

Just make sure you isolate it at the spur first!

Thanks, will take a look, but as you are probably aware, they are not easy to access

Number 1 team in Wales

Any gas boiler engineers on here please? on 21:58 - Apr 26 with 4269 viewsmax936

Any gas boiler engineers on here please? on 21:31 - Apr 26 by Andy1300

Thanks, will take a look, but as you are probably aware, they are not easy to access

any electrical sockets or spurs under boiler he means, sounds to me that there's a wire melted or breaking down inside boiler and that wire touches metal when boiler runs which causes it to trip.
You really need an engineer to fully check it though, could even be a breakdown of a component which can cause a sudden rise in voltage/amps that knocks it all off.

Any gas boiler engineers on here please? on 23:00 - Apr 26 with 4229 viewsAndy1300

Any gas boiler engineers on here please? on 21:58 - Apr 26 by max936

any electrical sockets or spurs under boiler he means, sounds to me that there's a wire melted or breaking down inside boiler and that wire touches metal when boiler runs which causes it to trip.
You really need an engineer to fully check it though, could even be a breakdown of a component which can cause a sudden rise in voltage/amps that knocks it all off.

Thanks

Number 1 team in Wales

Any gas boiler engineers on here please? on 23:03 - Apr 26 with 4225 viewsDarran

Sort it out for him then FFS.

The first ever recipient of a Planet Swans Lifetime Achievement Award.
Poll: Who’s got the most experts

Any gas boiler engineers on here please? on 07:08 - Apr 27 with 4146 viewsGowerjack

Max

I meant inside the boiler itself not in the mains wiring.

Could be condensation or a leak possibly if it is he should be able to see it.

It's just something he could check himself before calling out a tradesman etc.

It's current to earth that sets the rcd off.

Dangerous stuff leccy !

Plastic since 1974
Poll: Is ECB for tyranny?

Login to get fewer ads

Any gas boiler engineers on here please? on 12:00 - Apr 27 with 4090 viewsmax936

Any gas boiler engineers on here please? on 07:08 - Apr 27 by Gowerjack

Max

Dangerous stuff leccy !

Oh thought you meant dripping below and out of casing of boiler, that’s why l suggested that it might have been an internal wire or component.
I work with electric and Gas daily but lm not a boiler engineer even though l know my way around a lot of them, lm not a diagnosistic engineer l know a few who are though.
I will say though that Gloworm boilers are known to cause this type of fault they’re not the best probably slightly better that the Alpha’s and the Ariston.

Any gas boiler engineers on here please? on 12:15 - Apr 27 with 4084 viewsSTID2017

Any gas boiler engineers on here please? on 07:08 - Apr 27 by Gowerjack

Max

Dangerous stuff leccy !

I had the same problem just before Christmas.
If it's a condensation boiler, then, like mine, if the condensation pipe blocks up or the condensing element is not emptying, then this will cause it to cut out after a short time
Mine was also leaking which led us to think it was the condensing outlet pipe that was at fault
[Post edited 27 Apr 2018 12:17]

"Sanity and happiness are an impossible combination" - Mark Twain
Poll: Who Would You Want As Captain For Swans ?

Any gas boiler engineers on here please? on 12:27 - Apr 27 with 4075 viewsCountyJim

Any gas boiler engineers on here please? on 23:03 - Apr 26 by Darran

Feck me! He would cost you a fortune in biscuits
Any gas boiler engineers on here please? on 12:41 - Apr 27 with 4065 viewsN_T_J

Any gas boiler engineers on here please? on 23:03 - Apr 26 by Darran

😂
Any gas boiler engineers on here please? on 14:23 - Apr 27 with 4021 viewsmax936

Any gas boiler engineers on here please? on 12:27 - Apr 27 by CountyJim

Feck me! He would cost you a fortune in biscuits

No chance in your house nobody gets a look in with you there, no wonder the dog barks at you

Any gas boiler engineers on here please? on 14:10 - Apr 29 with 3893 viewsjack_lord

My boiler (ariston, looks about about 15 years old) is losing pressure each day and I have to top it up or red light keeps coming on and I have to top up and restart anyway.

Why does it do this and is is cost effective to replace?

Also Selco are selling 29kw combi Vokera boilers and flue for £500, are these OK?

Lord_Jack increasingly detached from the riches of kicking a ball
Poll: The E U : Stay or Leave

Any gas boiler engineers on here please? on 15:20 - Apr 29 with 3872 viewsmax936

Any gas boiler engineers on here please? on 14:10 - Apr 29 by jack_lord

My boiler (ariston, looks about about 15 years old) is losing pressure each day and I have to top it up or red light keeps coming on and I have to top up and restart anyway.

Also Selco are selling 29kw combi Vokera boilers and flue for £500, are these OK?

Just as bad as the aristons J, go with an ldeal, Baxi, Worcester,Vailiant or the new kid on the block Wiesman won’t go wrong with any of them.

Any gas boiler engineers on here please? on 16:30 - Apr 29 with 3839 viewsAndy1300

Sounds like a leaky expansion vessel

Number 1 team in Wales

Any gas boiler engineers on here please? on 20:32 - Apr 29 with 3772 viewsjack_lord

Any gas boiler engineers on here please? on 15:20 - Apr 29 by max936

Just as bad as the aristons J, go with an ldeal, Baxi, Worcester,Vailiant or the new kid on the block Wiesman won’t go wrong with any of them.

Thanks S, it may well be the expansion vessel as Andy suggests as this looks like a recent add on to the system. Is there an easy way of finding out as obviously it could be a leak somewhere else in the house. Will a new combi really be that more efficient?

Any gas boiler engineers on here please? on 22:05 - Apr 29 with 3743 viewsmajorraglan

Any gas boiler engineers on here please? on 20:32 - Apr 29 by jack_lord

Thanks S, it may well be the expansion vessel as Andy suggests as this looks like a recent add on to the system. Is there an easy way of finding out as obviously it could be a leak somewhere else in the house. Will a new combi really be that more efficient?

In our old house we had an oil boiler and it was often losing pressure and needed topping up, turned out there was a leak at the back of it.

If you are regularly losing pressure and need to keep topping it up, you may well have a leak, I take it there are no obvious signs. Do you have an overflow pipe which is leaking?

My parents moved 2years ago, the house they moved in to had a boiler from the mid 90’s. It was serviced annually by British Gas and was running at 75% efficiency, they had it changed to a Worcester combi and that is running at 99% which is a big saving for them.
Any gas boiler engineers on here please? on 22:12 - Apr 29 with 3739 viewsSTID2017

Any gas boiler engineers on here please? on 20:32 - Apr 29 by jack_lord

New boilers, especially the better makes, are brilliant.
Modern combis are nothing like the old ones, as long as they are fitted properly.
Get the best fitter and boiler you can afford rather than the cheapest

Any gas boiler engineers on here please? on 23:09 - Apr 29 with 3717 viewsItchySphincter

It’ll be a bad earth.

‘……. like a moth to Itchy’s flame ……’
Poll: Planet Swans or Planet Swans? Which one's you favourite.

Any gas boiler engineers on here please? on 00:25 - Apr 30 with 3695 viewstheloneranger

Another fault could be...

If there's no sign of a leak, it could be a fault on the pressure relief valve.

It's normally a copper pipe going going to the outside with a loop on the end.

If you can see this outside, check to see if the wall is wet, or if it's dripping, or if there's an orange/Brown stain on the wall.

Good luck

Everyday above ground ... Is a good day! 😎

Any gas boiler engineers on here please? on 08:02 - Apr 30 with 3652 viewswaynekerr55

Probably over pressure - causing the PRV to release water. The problem is once your releif valve has opened it generally doesn't sit flush, causing leaks.

Have you checked the diaphragm? Maybe that's causing the high pressure. I've heard ideal boilers are meant to be good

How many of you know what DP stands for?
Poll: POTY 2019
Blog: Too many things for a title, but stop with the xenophobia accusations!

Any gas boiler engineers on here please? on 08:05 - Apr 30 with 3646 viewsSTID2017

Any gas boiler engineers on here please? on 08:02 - Apr 30 by waynekerr55

Probably over pressure - causing the PRV to release water. The problem is once your releif valve has opened it generally doesn't sit flush, causing leaks.

Have you checked the diaphragm? Maybe that's causing the high pressure. I've heard ideal boilers are meant to be good

Important to make sure that the boiler you fit is big enough to supply all the radiators, kitchen and bathrooms with all the hot water you need.
Follow the plumbers or suppliers recommendations rather than buying a smaller one to save a few pounds

Any gas boiler engineers on here please? on 12:04 - Apr 30 with 3605 viewsCountyJim

Any gas boiler engineers on here please? on 14:23 - Apr 27 by max936

No chance in your house nobody gets a look in with you there, no wonder the dog barks at you

Knew I would get a nibble
Any gas boiler engineers on here please? on 18:34 - Apr 30 with 3558 viewsjack_lord

Any gas boiler engineers on here please? on 08:05 - Apr 30 by STID2017

Important to make sure that the boiler you fit is big enough to supply all the radiators, kitchen and bathrooms with all the hot water you need.
Follow the plumbers or suppliers recommendations rather than buying a smaller one to save a few pounds

We have got 14 radiators, most of them doubles so probably need a higher KW.

It's not high pressure, I have to keep filling it as the pressure drops below 0.3 causing the red light to come on. Then when I do top up, the heating and water coming on pushes the pressure up even more.

We will almost definitely be selling again in two years so will buying a top end one make financial sense?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024