Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Diane Abbott says Jewish people wear 'costumes' 19:06 - Apr 29 with 11118 viewsDwightYorkeSuperstar

What a horrible thing to say. Is it racist to call someones religious garment a 'costume'?

I don't think it is but it is still a very poor comment.

https://www.express.co.uk/news/politics/951884/Diane-Abbott-Jewish-people-costum

Poll: Should MP for Swansea East Carolyn Harris resign?

Diane Abbott says Jewish people wear 'costumes' on 19:16 - Apr 29 with 4832 viewsAmbergambler

I can't understand for the life of me why Corbyn keeps her in such a high profile position.

She's a disaster.
Diane Abbott says Jewish people wear 'costumes' on 19:17 - Apr 29 with 4823 viewsPozuelosSideys

No fan of Diane, but..

When does a comment become offensive?

- Just by saying it and somebody taking offence?
- Saying it with malicious intent?
- Something else?

"Michu, Britton and Williams could have won 3-0 on their own. They wouldn't have required a keeper."
Poll: Hattricks

Diane Abbott says Jewish people wear 'costumes' on 19:19 - Apr 29 with 4818 viewsexiledclaseboy

Diane Abbott says Jewish people wear 'costumes' on 19:17 - Apr 29 by PozuelosSideys

No fan of Diane, but..

When does a comment become offensive?

- Just by saying it and somebody taking offence?
- Saying it with malicious intent?
- Something else?

When the Daily Express scours twitter for comments.

Poll: Tory leader

Diane Abbott says Jewish people wear 'costumes' on 19:19 - Apr 29 with 4817 viewsJACKMANANDBOY

Diane Abbott says Jewish people wear 'costumes' on 19:16 - Apr 29 by Ambergambler

I can't understand for the life of me why Corbyn keeps her in such a high profile position.

She's a disaster.

What does she know?

Besian Idrizaj Forever a Jack
Poll: When will Duff Revert to 4 at the Back

Diane Abbott says Jewish people wear 'costumes' on 19:19 - Apr 29 with 4814 viewsHumpty

Anyone who thinks this is any kind of issue is a f*cking idiot.
Diane Abbott says Jewish people wear 'costumes' on 19:22 - Apr 29 with 4806 viewsexiledclaseboy

This week the Home Secretary has lied to Parliament on at least two occasions, publicly blamed officials for doing nothing other than enforce government policy and still has her job. But this is what matters.

Poll: Tory leader

Diane Abbott says Jewish people wear 'costumes' on 19:22 - Apr 29 with 4801 viewsAmbergambler

Diane Abbott says Jewish people wear 'costumes' on 19:19 - Apr 29 by JACKMANANDBOY

What does she know?

Exactly.
Diane Abbott says Jewish people wear 'costumes' on 19:26 - Apr 29 with 4790 viewsdickythorpe

Diane Abbott says Jewish people wear 'costumes' on 19:22 - Apr 29 by exiledclaseboy

This week the Home Secretary has lied to Parliament on at least two occasions, publicly blamed officials for doing nothing other than enforce government policy and still has her job. But this is what matters.

IT shows us that the lunatics have well and truly taken over the asylum.

There's no shame anymore with these people in power.

Rudd should have fallen on her sword , but she's either too stupid to realise it or an egomaniac.....or even worse...BOTH!!!!!!!
[Post edited 29 Apr 2018 19:28]
Login to get fewer ads

Diane Abbott says Jewish people wear 'costumes' on 19:31 - Apr 29 with 4772 viewstheloneranger

Diane Abbott says Jewish people wear 'costumes' on 19:26 - Apr 29 by dickythorpe

IT shows us that the lunatics have well and truly taken over the asylum.

There's no shame anymore with these people in power.

Rudd should have fallen on her sword , but she's either too stupid to realise it or an egomaniac.....or even worse...BOTH!!!!!!!
[Post edited 29 Apr 2018 19:28]

She's a human shield for Theresa May!

Everyday above ground ... Is a good day! 😎

Diane Abbott says Jewish people wear 'costumes' on 19:34 - Apr 29 with 4761 viewsAmbergambler

It isn't just this latest faux pas. I think she's a liability.
Diane Abbott says Jewish people wear 'costumes' on 19:36 - Apr 29 with 4757 viewsoh_tommy_tommy

What shall we start calling welsh costumes before the taffys start taking offence

Facking hell

Poll: DO you support the uk getting involved in Syria

Diane Abbott says Jewish people wear 'costumes' on 19:42 - Apr 29 with 4740 viewsAmbergambler

Diane Abbott says Jewish people wear 'costumes' on 19:36 - Apr 29 by oh_tommy_tommy

What shall we start calling welsh costumes before the taffys start taking offence

Facking hell

This is a religious mode of dress, hence the sensitivety.
Diane Abbott says Jewish people wear 'costumes' on 19:44 - Apr 29 with 4730 viewsHumpty

Diane Abbott says Jewish people wear 'costumes' on 19:42 - Apr 29 by Ambergambler

A clumsy choice of word in a live debate. Nothing else.
Diane Abbott says Jewish people wear 'costumes' on 19:46 - Apr 29 with 4721 viewslondonlisa2001

Horrible?

Only if somebody doesn't understand the dictionary definition of the word 'costume' which is:

'clothes in a style typical of a particular country, group of people or historical period'.

Costume is exactly the right word for the dress of the group she was talking about.

But of course Diane Abbott is, despite her many faults, well educated, unlike, it appears, certain twitter users, idiot journalists at The Express, or, indeed, Dwight.
Diane Abbott says Jewish people wear 'costumes' on 19:47 - Apr 29 with 4721 viewsAmbergambler

Diane Abbott says Jewish people wear 'costumes' on 19:44 - Apr 29 by Humpty

A clumsy choice of word in a live debate. Nothing else.

She is a liability though.
Diane Abbott says Jewish people wear 'costumes' on 19:50 - Apr 29 with 4716 viewsHighjack

Diane Abbott says Jewish people wear 'costumes' on 19:42 - Apr 29 by Ambergambler

The word costume is completely acceptable to use in this instance, it’s not remotely offensive or inappropriate, and I feel absolutely filthy for sticking up for Diane Abbott but in this instance she’s not done anything wrong for a change.

The creatures outside looked from pig to man, and from man to pig, and from pig to man again; but already it was impossible to say which was which.
Poll: Should Dippy Drakeford do us all a massive favour and just bog off?

Diane Abbott says Jewish people wear 'costumes' on 19:50 - Apr 29 with 4716 viewsHumpty

Diane Abbott says Jewish people wear 'costumes' on 19:47 - Apr 29 by Ambergambler

She is a liability though.

Agreed. But not for this.
Diane Abbott says Jewish people wear 'costumes' on 19:51 - Apr 29 with 4715 viewsAmbergambler

Diane Abbott says Jewish people wear 'costumes' on 19:46 - Apr 29 by londonlisa2001

Horrible?

Only if somebody doesn't understand the dictionary definition of the word 'costume' which is:

'clothes in a style typical of a particular country, group of people or historical period'.

Costume is exactly the right word for the dress of the group she was talking about.

But of course Diane Abbott is, despite her many faults, well educated, unlike, it appears, certain twitter users, idiot journalists at The Express, or, indeed, Dwight.

That may be true but I can't imagine many people describing Moslems as wearing costumes.
Diane Abbott says Jewish people wear 'costumes' on 19:55 - Apr 29 with 4700 viewsoh_tommy_tommy

Diane Abbott says Jewish people wear 'costumes' on 19:51 - Apr 29 by Ambergambler

That may be true but I can't imagine many people describing Moslems as wearing costumes.

A Muslim costume

Diane Abbott says Jewish people wear 'costumes' on 19:58 - Apr 29 with 4687 viewslondonlisa2001

Diane Abbott says Jewish people wear 'costumes' on 19:51 - Apr 29 by Ambergambler

She said they wore costume, perfectly correctly, as they do.

It's not her fault if some people are thick as mince.
Diane Abbott says Jewish people wear 'costumes' on 20:12 - Apr 29 with 4667 viewsAmbergambler

Diane Abbott says Jewish people wear 'costumes' on 19:58 - Apr 29 by londonlisa2001

She said they wore costume, perfectly correctly, as they do.

It's not her fault if some people are thick as mince.

I'm sure that the Jewish people that have been offended by this remark will appreciate being described as 'thick as mince'.
Diane Abbott says Jewish people wear 'costumes' on 20:13 - Apr 29 with 4661 viewsHumpty

Diane Abbott says Jewish people wear 'costumes' on 20:12 - Apr 29 by Ambergambler

I'm sure that the Jewish people that have been offended by this remark will appreciate being described as 'thick as mince'.

Overly sensitive, trying to make a fuss out of nothing mince.

Better?
Diane Abbott says Jewish people wear 'costumes' on 20:14 - Apr 29 with 4660 viewsoh_tommy_tommy

Diane Abbott says Jewish people wear 'costumes' on 20:12 - Apr 29 by Ambergambler

There’s thick people in all religions

Diane Abbott says Jewish people wear 'costumes' on 20:32 - Apr 29 with 4629 viewsAmbergambler

Diane Abbott says Jewish people wear 'costumes' on 20:14 - Apr 29 by oh_tommy_tommy

There’s thick people in all religions

Very true
Diane Abbott says Jewish people wear 'costumes' on 20:38 - Apr 29 with 4611 viewslondonlisa2001

Being thick knows no boundaries of race, religion, colour, gender, sexuality or anything else.

The only people offended by the word used are those who don't know what the word means.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024