Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Diane Abbott says Jewish people wear 'costumes' 19:06 - Apr 29 with 11121 viewsDwightYorkeSuperstar

What a horrible thing to say. Is it racist to call someones religious garment a 'costume'?

I don't think it is but it is still a very poor comment.

https://www.express.co.uk/news/politics/951884/Diane-Abbott-Jewish-people-costum

Poll: Should MP for Swansea East Carolyn Harris resign?

Diane Abbott says Jewish people wear 'costumes' on 20:51 - Apr 29 with 1618 viewssherpajacob

Costume
Costume is the distinctive style of dress of an individual or group that reflects their class, gender, profession, ethnicity, nationality, activity or epoch.

Seems like she got it spot on.

Funny how this comes up now about the shadow home secretary. Is the home secretary in some sort of bother herself?

https://www.ft.com/content/133fcb02-4bb4-11e8-97e4-13afc22d86d4

These days I look first at whether you can trust who is running the story, rather than the story itself.

http://www.pressgazette.co.uk/fake-news-was-not-in-evidence-during-run-up-to-bre

Poll: Your favourite ever Swans shirt sponsor?

Diane Abbott says Jewish people wear 'costumes' on 20:53 - Apr 29 with 1611 viewsAmbergambler

Diane Abbott says Jewish people wear 'costumes' on 20:38 - Apr 29 by londonlisa2001

Being thick knows no boundaries of race, religion, colour, gender, sexuality or anything else.

The only people offended by the word used are those who don't know what the word means.

It's not about the literal meaning of the word. 'Costume' in general usage is not used to describe modes of dress associated with deeply held religious beliefs.

You would not describe the Pope as wearing a costume for instance.

The point I was trying to make though is that with Dianne Abbott at his side Jeremy Corbyn is on a hiding to nothing.
Diane Abbott says Jewish people wear 'costumes' on 21:05 - Apr 29 with 1583 viewsJoe_bradshaw

Diane Abbott says Jewish people wear 'costumes' on 20:53 - Apr 29 by Ambergambler

It's not about the literal meaning of the word. 'Costume' in general usage is not used to describe modes of dress associated with deeply held religious beliefs.

The point I was trying to make though is that with Dianne Abbott at his side Jeremy Corbyn is on a hiding to nothing.

S & M eh?

Planet Swans Prediction League Winner Season 2013-14. Runner up 2014_15.
Poll: How many points clear of relegation will we be on Saturday night?

Diane Abbott says Jewish people wear 'costumes' on 21:05 - Apr 29 with 1583 viewsHighjack

I'm no etymologist but I imagine the word derives from the latin word "Consuetudo" or even perhaps the old French word "Coustume" which meant a habit or tradition, particularly when it comes to a practice or dress.

The creatures outside looked from pig to man, and from man to pig, and from pig to man again; but already it was impossible to say which was which.
Poll: Should Dippy Drakeford do us all a massive favour and just bog off?

Diane Abbott says Jewish people wear 'costumes' on 21:12 - Apr 29 with 1567 viewslondonlisa2001

Diane Abbott says Jewish people wear 'costumes' on 20:53 - Apr 29 by Ambergambler

I've made no secret of my dislike for either Diane Abbott or Jeremy Corbyn, but she said nothing even remotely wrong or offensive in this instance.
Diane Abbott says Jewish people wear 'costumes' on 21:12 - Apr 29 with 1567 viewsAmbergambler

Diane Abbott says Jewish people wear 'costumes' on 21:05 - Apr 29 by Joe_bradshaw

S & M eh?

I'll try and get that image out of my mind
Diane Abbott says Jewish people wear 'costumes' on 21:15 - Apr 29 with 1561 viewsbluey_the_blue

Calling Jewish garb a "costume" is as stupid as referring to "Muslim costume".

It' s also fvcking stupid as it shows in Abbott's mind, you're a Jew if you wear the costume. Utter bollocks. Within the ultra-orthodox community sure - that's the minority of Jews in Britain.

Jews wear T shirts, jeans, shirts, trousers like everybody else - Muslims, Hindus, Buddhists, athiests et al. Abbott has to revert to a stereotype to try to make a point.
Diane Abbott says Jewish people wear 'costumes' on 21:18 - Apr 29 with 1552 viewsJoe_bradshaw

Diane Abbott says Jewish people wear 'costumes' on 21:12 - Apr 29 by Ambergambler

I'll try and get that image out of my mind

If Corbyn ever becomes PM Diane will be chief whip.

Planet Swans Prediction League Winner Season 2013-14. Runner up 2014_15.
Poll: How many points clear of relegation will we be on Saturday night?

Login to get fewer ads

Diane Abbott says Jewish people wear 'costumes' on 21:22 - Apr 29 with 1544 viewsAmbergambler

Diane Abbott says Jewish people wear 'costumes' on 21:18 - Apr 29 by Joe_bradshaw

If Corbyn ever becomes PM Diane will be chief whip.

I'll have nightmares tonight now about that.
[Post edited 29 Apr 2018 21:23]
Diane Abbott says Jewish people wear 'costumes' on 21:23 - Apr 29 with 1541 viewssherpajacob

Diane Abbott says Jewish people wear 'costumes' on 21:15 - Apr 29 by bluey_the_blue

It' s also fvcking stupid as it shows in Abbott's mind, you're a Jew if you wear the costume. Utter bollocks. Within the ultra-orthodox community sure - that's the minority of Jews in Britain.

Jews wear T shirts, jeans, shirts, trousers like everybody else - Muslims, Hindus, Buddhists, athiests et al. Abbott has to revert to a stereotype to try to make a point.

. " Within the ultra-orthodox community sure - that's the minority of Jews in Britain"

That's who she was taking about,

Well done on confirming her terminology was correct.

Amber resigned for telling porkies to parliament yet?

Diane Abbott says Jewish people wear 'costumes' on 21:23 - Apr 29 with 1540 viewsbluey_the_blue

Diane Abbott says Jewish people wear 'costumes' on 21:12 - Apr 29 by londonlisa2001

I've made no secret of my dislike for either Diane Abbott or Jeremy Corbyn, but she said nothing even remotely wrong or offensive in this instance.

Wrong? Yes. Offensive? No.

Stupid in that she cocked her words up trying to show that she really likes Jews in a cloying speech that became all about her? Absolutely.
Diane Abbott says Jewish people wear 'costumes' on 21:26 - Apr 29 with 1533 viewsHumpty

Diane Abbott says Jewish people wear 'costumes' on 21:15 - Apr 29 by bluey_the_blue

Nonsense Bluey.

She didn't say all Jews wear that costume. She was talking about a specific community that do, and suffer antisemitism as a result because they are more visible.

Nothing wrong with that.
Diane Abbott says Jewish people wear 'costumes' on 21:27 - Apr 29 with 1533 viewsbluey_the_blue

Diane Abbott says Jewish people wear 'costumes' on 21:23 - Apr 29 by sherpajacob

. " Within the ultra-orthodox community sure - that's the minority of Jews in Britain"

That's who she was taking about,

Well done on confirming her terminology was correct.

Amber resigned for telling porkies to parliament yet?

She referred to Charedi Jews who are indeed ultra-orthodox The overwhelming majority of non-Jews would have no clue, would conflate in the same way idiots believe all Muslim women wear Burkhas.

It was a crass, stupid comment - clue; do you believe anyone in the Jewish community refers to that garb as a "costume"? Do Muslims refer to Burkhas as "costume"?

WTF has Rudd got to do with it?
[Post edited 29 Apr 2018 21:28]
Diane Abbott says Jewish people wear 'costumes' on 21:30 - Apr 29 with 1528 viewsbluey_the_blue

Diane Abbott says Jewish people wear 'costumes' on 21:26 - Apr 29 by Humpty

Nonsense Bluey.

She didn't say all Jews wear that costume. She was talking about a specific community that do, and suffer antisemitism as a result because they are more visible.

Nothing wrong with that.

So is the Burkha a "costume"? Sikh turbans "costumes" too?

Is it an example of anti-semitism? Of course nit.

It's evidence she's a f*ckwit unable to consider her wording.
Diane Abbott says Jewish people wear 'costumes' on 21:34 - Apr 29 with 1517 viewsHumpty

Diane Abbott says Jewish people wear 'costumes' on 21:30 - Apr 29 by bluey_the_blue

So is the Burkha a "costume"? Sikh turbans "costumes" too?

Is it an example of anti-semitism? Of course nit.

It's evidence she's a f*ckwit unable to consider her wording.

I've already said it was a clumsy choice of word.

Did she say it to demean or insult Jews?

Of course not.

The fact that only the Express is making a row about it says a lot.

Fuss about nothing.
Diane Abbott says Jewish people wear 'costumes' on 21:40 - Apr 29 with 1502 viewsomarjack

Diane might be an idiot..but she's not a bigot that's for sure. and what she said shouldn't be taken as an insult of any kind.

Still one of the few Labour politicians which I consider an embarrassment.

Poll: England vs Croatia (who's going to win)

Diane Abbott says Jewish people wear 'costumes' on 21:41 - Apr 29 with 1497 viewsPrivate_Partz

Diane Abbott says Jewish people wear 'costumes' on 21:34 - Apr 29 by Humpty

Of course not.

Fuss about nothing.

I wouldn't bother Hump.
The Tories are getting desperate. Trying to make something out of a clumsy word whilst desperately trying to sweep Ruddgate under the carpet. Knowing full well that the Maybot gets it next if Amber falls on her sword.
In the meantime we will await news of Corbyn collaborating with the Russians to get votes...

You have mission in life to hold out your hand, To help the other guy out, Help your fellow man. Stan Ridgway

Diane Abbott says Jewish people wear 'costumes' on 21:44 - Apr 29 with 1491 viewsbluey_the_blue

Diane Abbott says Jewish people wear 'costumes' on 21:34 - Apr 29 by Humpty

Of course not.

Fuss about nothing.

Of course she didn't say it to demean or insult Jews. That doesn't mean Jews are wrong if they are offended by the crass comment.

Some may see it as an example of a senior politician within Labour not taking things too seriously if they come out with crass wording.
Diane Abbott says Jewish people wear 'costumes' on 21:49 - Apr 29 with 1481 viewssherpajacob

Diane Abbott says Jewish people wear 'costumes' on 21:27 - Apr 29 by bluey_the_blue

She referred to Charedi Jews who are indeed ultra-orthodox The overwhelming majority of non-Jews would have no clue, would conflate in the same way idiots believe all Muslim women wear Burkhas.

It was a crass, stupid comment - clue; do you believe anyone in the Jewish community refers to that garb as a "costume"? Do Muslims refer to Burkhas as "costume"?

WTF has Rudd got to do with it?
[Post edited 29 Apr 2018 21:28]

The point was Abbott specifically referenced them to differentiate them from the majority. So that people would not conflate. You are arguing against yourself bluey.

Abbot is the shadow home secretary who is being smeared by a non story from the express.
Rudd is the Tory home secretary whose position in now completely untenable.

Coincidence, I think not.

Diane Abbott says Jewish people wear 'costumes' on 21:53 - Apr 29 with 1472 viewsHumpty

Diane Abbott says Jewish people wear 'costumes' on 21:44 - Apr 29 by bluey_the_blue

Of course she didn't say it to demean or insult Jews. That doesn't mean Jews are wrong if they are offended by the crass comment.

Some may see it as an example of a senior politician within Labour not taking things too seriously if they come out with crass wording.

I think anyone genuinely offended by it is being a bit silly to be honest.

Context is everything.

I'm sure most people making a fuss are not offended at all, just making political capital.

I doubt you or Dwight would have mentioned it if a Tory MP had made such a simple mistake.
Diane Abbott says Jewish people wear 'costumes' on 21:55 - Apr 29 with 1462 viewsHighjack

It's the correct word to use you bunch of nincompoops.

The creatures outside looked from pig to man, and from man to pig, and from pig to man again; but already it was impossible to say which was which.

Diane Abbott says Jewish people wear 'costumes' on 21:55 - Apr 29 with 1462 viewsbluey_the_blue

Diane Abbott says Jewish people wear 'costumes' on 21:49 - Apr 29 by sherpajacob

The point was Abbott specifically referenced them to differentiate them from the majority. So that people would not conflate. You are arguing against yourself bluey.

Abbot is the shadow home secretary who is being smeared by a non story from the express.
Rudd is the Tory home secretary whose position in now completely untenable.

Coincidence, I think not.

Most people wouldn't see "Charedi", they'd see "Jews". Nor would most people know Charedi Jews are ultra-orthodox. You're attributing a far higher level of knowledge than the overwhelming number of non-Jews would have.

So it's crass.

The comment also ignores the very many numbers who experience anti-semitism every day which is utterly unrelated to the garb they wear.
Diane Abbott says Jewish people wear 'costumes' on 21:58 - Apr 29 with 1452 viewsHighjack

Diane Abbott says Jewish people wear 'costumes' on 21:55 - Apr 29 by bluey_the_blue

Most people wouldn't see "Charedi", they'd see "Jews". Nor would most people know Charedi Jews are ultra-orthodox. You're attributing a far higher level of knowledge than the overwhelming number of non-Jews would have.

So it's crass.

The comment also ignores the very many numbers who experience anti-semitism every day which is utterly unrelated to the garb they wear.

'Garb' is a synonym of 'costume'.

Diane Abbott says Jewish people wear 'costumes' on 22:01 - Apr 29 with 1448 viewsHumpty

Diane Abbott says Jewish people wear 'costumes' on 21:55 - Apr 29 by bluey_the_blue

So it's crass.

She said “In my constituency, I have a community of Charedi Jews that are actually subject to hate crime more than other Jews, because they wear that costume, they walk to Synagogue."

Pretty clear to me what she meant. Charedi Jews.

She certainly didn't say they are the only Jews who experience antisemitism.

Give it up Bluey. It's bullshit.
Diane Abbott says Jewish people wear 'costumes' on 22:06 - Apr 29 with 1434 viewssherpajacob

Diane Abbott says Jewish people wear 'costumes' on 21:44 - Apr 29 by bluey_the_blue

Do you think Rudd should resign bluey,?

Simple yes or no.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024