Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Diane Abbott says Jewish people wear 'costumes' 19:06 - Apr 29 with 11065 viewsDwightYorkeSuperstar

What a horrible thing to say. Is it racist to call someones religious garment a 'costume'?

I don't think it is but it is still a very poor comment.

https://www.express.co.uk/news/politics/951884/Diane-Abbott-Jewish-people-costum

Poll: Should MP for Swansea East Carolyn Harris resign?

Diane Abbott says Jewish people wear 'costumes' on 22:07 - Apr 29 with 2457 viewsNeath_Jack

Diane Abbott says Jewish people wear 'costumes' on 22:06 - Apr 29 by sherpajacob

Do you think Rudd should resign bluey,?

Simple yes or no.

She already has mun.

I want a mate like Flashberryjacks, who wears a Barnsley jersey with "Swans are my second team" on the back.
Poll: Would you support military action against Syria on what we know so far?

Diane Abbott says Jewish people wear 'costumes' on 23:11 - Apr 29 with 2406 viewsbuilthjack

Ffs. Can't someone call an outfit a costume now? The world has gone mad. Or is it just Reg?

Swansea Indepenent Poster Of The Year 2021. Dr P / Mart66 / Roathie / Parlay / E20/ Duffle was 2nd, but he is deluded and thinks in his little twisted brain that he won. Poor sod. We let him win this year, as he has cried for a whole year. His 14 usernames, bless his cotton socks.

Diane Abbott says Jewish people wear 'costumes' on 23:17 - Apr 29 with 2402 viewsE20Jack

Diane Abbott says Jewish people wear 'costumes' on 19:42 - Apr 29 by Ambergambler

This is a religious mode of dress, hence the sensitivety.

Why is religion a more sensitive topic than anything else?

If people are so sure of their religions then why do we have to pussy foot around any language or issues regarding them?

Poll: 6 point deduction and sellouts lose all their cash?

Diane Abbott says Jewish people wear 'costumes' on 23:35 - Apr 29 with 2389 viewsBrynmill_Jack

Diane Abbott says Jewish people wear 'costumes' on 22:06 - Apr 29 by sherpajacob

Do you think Rudd should resign bluey,?

Simple yes or no.

No, bluey would say that's an ok form of racism. And Rudd never used the term "costume".

Each time I go to Bedd - au........................

Diane Abbott says Jewish people wear 'costumes' on 23:57 - Apr 29 with 2364 viewsJack_Meoff

Diane Abbott says Jewish people wear 'costumes' on 21:58 - Apr 29 by Highjack

'Garb' is a synonym of 'costume'.

I wish I could 'up arrow' this post more than once.

If you want a vision of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face--forever.

Diane Abbott says Jewish people wear 'costumes' on 07:49 - Apr 30 with 2309 viewsLohengrin

Diane Abbott says Jewish people wear 'costumes' on 19:58 - Apr 29 by londonlisa2001

She said they wore costume, perfectly correctly, as they do.

It's not her fault if some people are thick as mince.

A costume makes it sound like they were on the way to a fancy dress party, mun. Now I saw that live and laughed out loud, though in all fairness it was completely obvious she meant no disrespect whatsoever, she’s just completely incapable of getting anything right.

If you’d asked me I’d have told you the folk she was referring to wear a rekel (the long black coat) and probably the streimel (the fur hat.) If that was easy for me it bloody ought to be for her seeing as they are her Hackney constituents and she (allegedly!) studied under Schama at Newnham.

To think that fool is actually in contention to occupy the office once held by the likes Wellington and Palmerston is enough to make you cringe.

An idea isn't responsible for those who believe in it.

Diane Abbott says Jewish people wear 'costumes' on 07:58 - Apr 30 with 2301 viewswaynekerr55

Diane Abbott says Jewish people wear 'costumes' on 07:49 - Apr 30 by Lohengrin

A costume makes it sound like they were on the way to a fancy dress party, mun. Now I saw that live and laughed out loud, though in all fairness it was completely obvious she meant no disrespect whatsoever, she’s just completely incapable of getting anything right.

If you’d asked me I’d have told you the folk she was referring to wear a rekel (the long black coat) and probably the streimel (the fur hat.) If that was easy for me it bloody ought to be for her seeing as they are her Hackney constituents and she (allegedly!) studied under Schama at Newnham.

To think that fool is actually in contention to occupy the office once held by the likes Wellington and Palmerston is enough to make you cringe.

You omitted the BHS style school shirts from the 'costume', mun.

How many of you know what DP stands for?
Poll: POTY 2019
Blog: Too many things for a title, but stop with the xenophobia accusations!

Diane Abbott says Jewish people wear 'costumes' on 09:57 - Apr 30 with 2268 viewslondonlisa2001

Diane Abbott says Jewish people wear 'costumes' on 21:15 - Apr 29 by bluey_the_blue

Calling Jewish garb a "costume" is as stupid as referring to "Muslim costume".

It' s also fvcking stupid as it shows in Abbott's mind, you're a Jew if you wear the costume. Utter bollocks. Within the ultra-orthodox community sure - that's the minority of Jews in Britain.

Jews wear T shirts, jeans, shirts, trousers like everybody else - Muslims, Hindus, Buddhists, athiests et al. Abbott has to revert to a stereotype to try to make a point.

That's nonsense Bluey. She was quite specifically referring to the large Haredi community, largely Hasidic, who live in Hackney.

She was making the point that they are targeted in particular, because the way they dress makes them so obvious.

She wasn't saying that's how Jewish people dress.
Login to get fewer ads

Diane Abbott says Jewish people wear 'costumes' on 10:01 - Apr 30 with 2261 viewsfelixstowe_jack

About time Diane Abbott resigned she clearly is not fit to be shadow home secretary let alone the real one. Do the honourable thing woman and go before you cost labour even more votes.

Poll: Sholud Wales rollout vaccination at full speed.

Diane Abbott says Jewish people wear 'costumes' on 10:04 - Apr 30 with 2259 viewslondonlisa2001

Diane Abbott says Jewish people wear 'costumes' on 21:44 - Apr 29 by bluey_the_blue

Of course she didn't say it to demean or insult Jews. That doesn't mean Jews are wrong if they are offended by the crass comment.

Some may see it as an example of a senior politician within Labour not taking things too seriously if they come out with crass wording.

It wasn't a crass comment. It was a perfectly reasonable comment.

As an aside, the way they dress has nothing to do with religion anyway - it's cultural. And Abbott has been the MP for that community for years and takes it very seriously.
Diane Abbott says Jewish people wear 'costumes' on 10:18 - Apr 30 with 2241 viewslondonlisa2001

No it doesn't. It's a perfectly reasonable use of language.

And many don't wear a rekel any longer, but a black jacket. And a streimel is reserved for high days and holidays in Stamford Hill. It's a black fedora the rest of the time. As I'm sure she knows.
Diane Abbott says Jewish people wear 'costumes' on 10:20 - Apr 30 with 2239 viewssherpajacob

"A costume makes it sound like they were on the way to a fancy dress party, mun"

Like this one?

www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2582150/A-celebration-life-From-Tel-Aviv-north-London-Orthodox-Jewish-children-world-don-elaborate-costumes-enjoy-colourful-festival-Purim.html

[Post edited 30 Apr 2018 10:30]

Poll: Your favourite ever Swans shirt sponsor?

Diane Abbott says Jewish people wear 'costumes' on 11:34 - Apr 30 with 2202 viewsLohengrin

Diane Abbott says Jewish people wear 'costumes' on 10:20 - Apr 30 by sherpajacob

"A costume makes it sound like they were on the way to a fancy dress party, mun"

Like this one?

www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2582150/A-celebration-life-From-Tel-Aviv-north-London-Orthodox-Jewish-children-world-don-elaborate-costumes-enjoy-colourful-festival-Purim.html

[Post edited 30 Apr 2018 10:30]

Yes, Sherp. Those are costumes. You’re not a detective, are you?

Diane Abbott says Jewish people wear 'costumes' on 11:40 - Apr 30 with 2196 viewslondonlisa2001

Diane Abbott says Jewish people wear 'costumes' on 11:34 - Apr 30 by Lohengrin

She said, and I quote:

'They wear that costume'.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with that.
Diane Abbott says Jewish people wear 'costumes' on 11:50 - Apr 30 with 2193 viewsLohengrin

Diane Abbott says Jewish people wear 'costumes' on 11:40 - Apr 30 by londonlisa2001

She said, and I quote:

'They wear that costume'.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with that.

Are you rehearsing for an interview to be her new agent, love?

I was flipping a coin this morning to decide who was the most unsuited to the HO, her or Javid? The coin is still up there defying gravity, it’s refusing to land.

Diane Abbott says Jewish people wear 'costumes' on 12:00 - Apr 30 with 2188 viewslondonlisa2001

Diane Abbott says Jewish people wear 'costumes' on 11:50 - Apr 30 by Lohengrin

Are you rehearsing for an interview to be her new agent, love?

I was flipping a coin this morning to decide who was the most unsuited to the HO, her or Javid? The coin is still up there defying gravity, it’s refusing to land.

My feelings about Diane are well known. She's useless and I wouldn't have her run a bath let alone the Home Office.

But criticising her for stuff when she hasn't said anything wrong is tribal politics at its very worst.

As for the new Home Secretary - absolutely ridiculous choice. A man of almost complete incompetence.

The sad part of Rudd going, although it was inevitable, is that she is one of the better members of the Tory front line. Certainly better than Javid.
Diane Abbott says Jewish people wear 'costumes' on 12:19 - Apr 30 with 2176 viewsLohengrin

Diane Abbott says Jewish people wear 'costumes' on 12:00 - Apr 30 by londonlisa2001

My feelings about Diane are well known. She's useless and I wouldn't have her run a bath let alone the Home Office.

But criticising her for stuff when she hasn't said anything wrong is tribal politics at its very worst.

As for the new Home Secretary - absolutely ridiculous choice. A man of almost complete incompetence.

The sad part of Rudd going, although it was inevitable, is that she is one of the better members of the Tory front line. Certainly better than Javid.

Oh! I don’t think she’s said or done anything remotely ‘wrong’ at all. I just find her endlessly clumsy in the way she expresses herself.

I was going to say maladroit but I’ve come down to meet her, Sylvia Plath she ain’t.

Diane Abbott says Jewish people wear 'costumes' on 12:22 - Apr 30 with 2168 viewssherpajacob

https://goo.gl/images/1eklrk

https://images.google.co.uk/imgres?imgurl=http%3A%2F%2Fi.dailymail.co.uk%2Fi%2Fp

How does the Daily mail describe this traditional Jewish garb

Daily Mail
Procession: Ultra Orthodox Jewish boys dressed in traditional Purim costumes walk in the Mea Shaarim
[Post edited 30 Apr 2018 12:39]

Diane Abbott says Jewish people wear 'costumes' on 12:25 - Apr 30 with 2158 viewssherpajacob

They look like they are on the way to a fancy dress party, mun.

Diane Abbott says Jewish people wear 'costumes' on 12:26 - Apr 30 with 2153 viewsBobby_Fischer

Poll: Who should take over from Jenkins?

Diane Abbott says Jewish people wear 'costumes' on 17:48 - Apr 30 with 2069 viewsbluey_the_blue

Diane Abbott says Jewish people wear 'costumes' on 10:04 - Apr 30 by londonlisa2001

It wasn't a crass comment. It was a perfectly reasonable comment.

As an aside, the way they dress has nothing to do with religion anyway - it's cultural. And Abbott has been the MP for that community for years and takes it very seriously.

So seriously it wasn't that long ago the community was blasting her for not engaging.

Amazing how the spotlight on anti-semitism within her party focuses her concern.
Diane Abbott says Jewish people wear 'costumes' on 18:00 - Apr 30 with 2059 viewsHumpty

Diane Abbott says Jewish people wear 'costumes' on 17:48 - Apr 30 by bluey_the_blue

So seriously it wasn't that long ago the community was blasting her for not engaging.

Amazing how the spotlight on anti-semitism within her party focuses her concern.

Clutching at straws now Bluey.

Any other papers other than the Express covering this massive story yet?
Diane Abbott says Jewish people wear 'costumes' on 18:06 - Apr 30 with 2058 viewslondonlisa2001

Diane Abbott says Jewish people wear 'costumes' on 17:48 - Apr 30 by bluey_the_blue

Members of the community have been disappointed with her refusing to openly criticise Corbyn's handling of the wider issue. They have also called on her to openly condemn people like Livingstone. She is being criticised for not speaking more freely.

But that doesn't mean as a local MP she hasn't taken the community seriously.

See this quote:

"Rabbi Herschel Gluck, Shomrim president, explains: “I am not an expert on the big picture, but as a local MP she has been devoted.”

He says Ms Abbott has been “helpful and committed to all residents of Hackney. She might be friends with Corbyn but she is her own person in her own right and that is how I judge her."

You are barking up completely the wrong tree if you think Abbott hasn't been supportive to the people in Stamford Hill bluey. I have very little time for her in general, but on this matter, you are being hugely unfair. There are many things she has actively campaigned for to help the Haredi community for many years.

From 2010, so 8 years ago, and way before the spotlight caused any refocussing of concern:

"Diane said:

“ The cap on housing benefit will have a huge effect on many residents in Hackney, but it will hit the large number of Orthodox Jewish families living in my constituency, particularly hard. Families in the Orthodox Jewish community typically have more than four children, and many of them live in the private rented sector, so the limit on benefit will have a devastating impact.

They will see a serious shortfall between the benefits they receive and the rent they have to pay, which may see many Haredi families forced out of their community and into cheaper accommodation further out of London. They will be forced to move away from the synagogues and schools that the community has built here in Hackney.

This will be a sad loss to the borough, which has the largest Haredi community in Europe."

I can find loads of similar examples if you want to pretend she is only now bothered.
Diane Abbott says Jewish people wear 'costumes' on 18:10 - Apr 30 with 2054 viewsbluey_the_blue

Diane Abbott says Jewish people wear 'costumes' on 18:00 - Apr 30 by Humpty

Clutching at straws now Bluey.

Any other papers other than the Express covering this massive story yet?

Where did I say it was a massive story?
Diane Abbott says Jewish people wear 'costumes' on 18:12 - Apr 30 with 2051 viewsoh_tommy_tommy

The country’s falling apart and people are spouting off over what to call a piece of clothing .

Put your straight jacket costume uniform frock back on Blue ffs

Poll: DO you support the uk getting involved in Syria

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024