Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Port Talbot most polluted town in U.K. Official 09:12 - May 2 with 6693 viewsLord_Bony

Port Talbot is listed as the most polluted area in the UK, according to a new report.

It suggested dozens of towns and cities suffer from unsafe levels of air pollution and urged the UK Government has been urged to take action.

Thirty-two areas in Britain are exceeding limits of PM2.5 deemed safe by the World Health Organisation (WHO).

The tiny particles, which come from sources like transport, industry, coal plants and burning wood, fuels or waste, are linked to diseases including stroke, heart disease, lung cancer and disease, and respiratory infections.

Levels of PM2.5 particles in the air in Port Talbot were recorded as 18 micrograms per cubic metre, nearly double the WHO recommended limit of 10.

But Cardiff, Chepstow, Newport and Swansea are also failing WHO standards.

The report added that seven million people a year are dying due to poor air quality, and nine out of 10 people worldwide are exposed to levels of air pollution that are dangerous to their health.

http://www.itv.com/news/wales/2018-05-02/port-talbot-listed-as-the-most-polluted

PROUD RECIPIENT OF THE THIRD PLANET SWANS LIFETIME ACHIEVEMENT AWARD. "Per ardua ad astra"
Poll: iS tHERE lIFE aFTER dEATH

Port Talbot most polluted town in U.K. Official on 09:22 - May 2 with 5403 viewsbuilthjack

You can actually scrape it off the roof slates at Port Talbot. Industry all around .

Swansea Indepenent Poster Of The Year 2021. Dr P / Mart66 / Roathie / Parlay / E20/ Duffle was 2nd, but he is deluded and thinks in his little twisted brain that he won. Poor sod. We let him win this year, as he has cried for a whole year. His 14 usernames, bless his cotton socks.

Port Talbot most polluted town in U.K. Official on 09:52 - May 2 with 5361 viewssherpajacob

Was Somebody paid to arrive at that conclusion?

Poll: Your favourite ever Swans shirt sponsor?

Port Talbot most polluted town in U.K. Official on 09:53 - May 2 with 5361 viewsLeonWasGod

Port Talbot most polluted town in U.K. Official on 09:22 - May 2 by builthjack

You can actually scrape it off the roof slates at Port Talbot. Industry all around .

Slowing traffic down on the M4 will soon clean up the industrial pollutants, apparently.
Port Talbot most polluted town in U.K. Official on 10:33 - May 2 with 5310 viewstheloneranger

They should have tested the air quality in Port Tennant when Carbon Black was up and running!!

Everyday above ground ... Is a good day! 😎

Port Talbot most polluted town in U.K. Official on 14:20 - May 2 with 5217 viewsLord_Bony

I can remember when Margam steelworks was in full swing.

The smell of sulphur from those coke ovens was unbelievable. Many used to complain their clothes off the washing line smelled of rotten eggs.

Add to this the Baglan chemical plant and the M4 on their doorstep it's no wonder it's the number one polluted town in the U.K.

This post has been edited by an administrator

PROUD RECIPIENT OF THE THIRD PLANET SWANS LIFETIME ACHIEVEMENT AWARD. "Per ardua ad astra"
Poll: iS tHERE lIFE aFTER dEATH

Port Talbot most polluted town in U.K. Official on 14:48 - May 2 with 5181 viewsDarran

Port Talbot most polluted town in U.K. Official on 14:20 - May 2 by Lord_Bony

The smell of sulphur from those coke ovens was unbelievable. Many used to complain their clothes off the washing line smelled of rotten eggs.

Add to this the Baglan chemical plant and the M4 on their doorstep it's no wonder it's the number one polluted town in the U.K.

Baglan Chemical Plant hasn’t been there for years.

The first ever recipient of a Planet Swans Lifetime Achievement Award.
Poll: Who’s got the most experts

Port Talbot most polluted town in U.K. Official on 15:13 - May 2 with 5164 viewsFlashberryjack

Port Talbot most polluted town in U.K. Official on 09:52 - May 2 by sherpajacob

Was Somebody paid to arrive at that conclusion?

Most definitely they were, and probably quite a considerable wedge as well.

Hello
Poll: Should the Senedd be Abolished

Port Talbot most polluted town in U.K. Official on 15:16 - May 2 with 5165 viewsWingstandwood

Port Talbot most polluted town in U.K. Official on 14:20 - May 2 by Lord_Bony

I contracted at the steelworks working on a OSC's structural take down and you're so bang on about that sulphur, perhaps I was working at the wrong time of the year but it was a bloody cold and bleak site.

One plus? It keeps Port Talbots local economy going despite the pollution? Don't know if there would be any local celebration if the place shut?

Argus!

Login to get fewer ads

Port Talbot most polluted town in U.K. Official on 16:26 - May 2 with 5105 viewsAmbergambler

Port Talbot most polluted town in U.K. Official on 09:53 - May 2 by LeonWasGod

Slowing traffic down on the M4 will soon clean up the industrial pollutants, apparently.

Yes, I couldn't believe they used the Port Talbot stretch of motorway as an example of the 50mph limit improving air quality.

'Fiddling while Rome burns' comes to mind.
Port Talbot most polluted town in U.K. Official on 22:08 - May 2 with 4950 viewsPacemaker

These figures are totally incorrect and the local authority are fuming. Tata have spent millions cleaning up their emmisions as has the council.

It would appear that the figures were estimates. The BBC have partially corrected the report. I expect to see a fulsome apology soon.

Life is an adventure or nothing at all.

Port Talbot most polluted town in U.K. Official on 22:12 - May 2 with 4933 viewsLohengrin

Port Talbot most polluted town in U.K. Official on 22:08 - May 2 by Pacemaker

These figures are totally incorrect and the local authority are fuming. Tata have spent millions cleaning up their emmisions as has the council.

It would appear that the figures were estimates. The BBC have partially corrected the report. I expect to see a fulsome apology soon.

You beat me to the drop there, I was just about to post pretty much the same thing.

An idea isn't responsible for those who believe in it.

Port Talbot most polluted town in U.K. Official on 22:58 - May 2 with 4885 viewsJoe_bradshaw

Of course, Maggie shut down as many filthy, polluting industries as possible in order to improve the environment and save all our lungs.

Way ahead of her time was Maggie.

Planet Swans Prediction League Winner Season 2013-14. Runner up 2014_15.
Poll: How many points clear of relegation will we be on Saturday night?

Port Talbot most polluted town in U.K. Official on 03:32 - May 3 with 4822 viewsJack59

Port Talbot most polluted town in U.K. Official on 09:53 - May 2 by LeonWasGod

The trouble is that in cities like Swansea they are slowing traffic to a standstill with the council's policy on sticking traffic lights everywhere. This is causing huge pollution, and I hope the individuals responsible for this can one day be taken to court.
As an example look at the new light system at De la Beche Road, no problems at all before the lights, now traffic is often snarled up for 200 yards, all belching out fumes for the residents and schoolkids. The people sanctioning these traffic light systems are possibly shortening the lives of hundreds of individuals in the area.
I was at Sketty lights today, waited a couple of minutes for a green light to appear, the green light appeared for six seconds. One car got through on that light change and twenty others behind me didn't move.. As I finally drove through I could see there was no particular road into that junction that had much heavier traffic than others, and no emergency vehicles, How can this possibly be justified? this is 2018, the USA put men on the moon 50 years ago. The pathetic Swansea traffic engineers and councillors should be ashamed. I often travel back and fore to the West Midlands and I see no signs of the stupidity that's demonstrated by our local traffic planners.
Port Talbot most polluted town in U.K. Official on 07:30 - May 3 with 4725 viewsdickythorpe

This is news? Forking hell!!! Even oldjack knew this.
Port Talbot most polluted town in U.K. Official on 10:27 - May 3 with 4639 viewsoldcob

Port Talbot is not so bad. Only this morning I went for a walk and I could hear the birds coughing in the trees, there were squirrels too, holding their asthma inhalers between their front paws..........
Port Talbot most polluted town in U.K. Official on 13:33 - May 3 with 4554 viewsEbo

We used to have a Phurnacite plant in the Cynon Valley. It would literally stink out the whole of the lower valley and if there was a wind blowing north then you couldn't put your washing out. The mountain that was next to the plant was smouldering for years due to the acid rain. Many who worked there suffered in later years to ill health. It looked liked Dantes Inferno with it's flaming chimney tops and smoke and dust.

Thank you, goodnight and bollocks
Poll: What couldn't you live without?

Port Talbot most polluted town in U.K. Official on 13:37 - May 3 with 4548 viewsJoe_bradshaw

Port Talbot most polluted town in U.K. Official on 13:33 - May 3 by Ebo

We used to have a Phurnacite plant in the Cynon Valley. It would literally stink out the whole of the lower valley and if there was a wind blowing north then you couldn't put your washing out. The mountain that was next to the plant was smouldering for years due to the acid rain. Many who worked there suffered in later years to ill health. It looked liked Dantes Inferno with it's flaming chimney tops and smoke and dust.

Dark satanic mills.

Planet Swans Prediction League Winner Season 2013-14. Runner up 2014_15.
Poll: How many points clear of relegation will we be on Saturday night?

Port Talbot most polluted town in U.K. Official on 15:13 - May 3 with 4520 viewsEbo

Port Talbot most polluted town in U.K. Official on 13:37 - May 3 by Joe_bradshaw

Dark satanic mills.

Thank you, goodnight and bollocks
Poll: What couldn't you live without?

Port Talbot most polluted town in U.K. Official on 15:26 - May 3 with 4510 viewsDarran

Port Talbot most polluted town in U.K. Official on 13:37 - May 3 by Joe_bradshaw

Dark satanic mills.

Nasty fuçkers they are.

Port Talbot most polluted town in U.K. Official on 15:35 - May 3 with 4502 viewsLoyal

Ebo knows 👍

Nolan sympathiser, clout expert, personal friend of Leigh Dineen, advocate and enforcer of porridge swallows. The official inventor of the tit w@nk.
Poll: Who should be Swansea number 1

Port Talbot most polluted town in U.K. Official on 18:34 - May 4 with 4366 viewsFlashberryjack

Port Talbot most polluted town in U.K. Official on 15:13 - May 2 by Flashberryjack

Most definitely they were, and probably quite a considerable wedge as well.

And the stupid f*ckers got it wrong...how more things have they got wrong.

Experts be f*ck !!

Hello
Poll: Should the Senedd be Abolished

Port Talbot most polluted town in U.K. Official on 19:03 - May 4 with 4338 viewsRancid

I grew up wearing orange clothes and smelling like a freshly struck Bryant & May.Its nothing like it used to be though and the whole article makes me want to roll my eyes.
Port Talbot most polluted town in U.K. Official on 19:15 - May 4 with 4324 viewsDarran

Port Talbot most polluted town in U.K. Official on 19:03 - May 4 by Rancid

I grew up wearing orange clothes and smelling like a freshly struck Bryant & May.Its nothing like it used to be though and the whole article makes me want to roll my eyes.

My wife’s aunty in Margam bathed her Samoyed dog once and let it out the garden to dry. She called it in and it was pink.

Port Talbot most polluted town in U.K. Official on 19:17 - May 4 with 4316 viewsRancid

Port Talbot most polluted town in U.K. Official on 19:15 - May 4 by Darran

My wife’s aunty in Margam bathed her Samoyed dog once and let it out the garden to dry. She called it in and it was pink.

Do you remember Margam Terrace?
Port Talbot most polluted town in U.K. Official on 19:23 - May 4 with 4304 viewsDarran

Port Talbot most polluted town in U.K. Official on 19:17 - May 4 by Rancid

Do you remember Margam Terrace?

No where was it by?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024