Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Princess Lillian of Sweden 20:31 - May 6 with 5744 viewsjack2jack

Enjoying the sunshine today and flicking through the Sunday suppliments,came across this story. Very interesting and a connection with Swansea which I had never heard of.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-21739041
Princess Lillian of Sweden on 00:20 - May 7 with 5530 viewsHighjack

I might be a little bit pissed but how has she died aged 97 if she was born in 1915?

The creatures outside looked from pig to man, and from man to pig, and from pig to man again; but already it was impossible to say which was which.
Poll: Should Dippy Drakeford do us all a massive favour and just bog off?

Princess Lillian of Sweden on 00:24 - May 7 with 5522 viewstheloneranger

Princess Lillian of Sweden on 00:20 - May 7 by Highjack

I might be a little bit pissed but how has she died aged 97 if she was born in 1915?

I just realised, the article is from 2013 😂😂

Everyday above ground ... Is a good day! 😎

Princess Lillian of Sweden on 00:43 - May 7 with 5502 viewsHighjack

Princess Lillian of Sweden on 00:24 - May 7 by theloneranger

I just realised, the article is from 2013 😂😂

I can put the calculator away then.

RIP YJB + Massive Swans fan.

The creatures outside looked from pig to man, and from man to pig, and from pig to man again; but already it was impossible to say which was which.

Princess Lillian of Sweden on 13:28 - May 7 with 5271 viewsjack2jack

Sorry I didn't imply she'd just passed away.
Just thought it was an interesting connection to Swansea.
I had no idea of the story, interesting none the less I thought.
Enjoy the sunshine fellas 👍
Princess Lillian of Sweden on 13:54 - May 7 with 5237 viewsAmbergambler

Princess Lillian of Sweden on 13:28 - May 7 by jack2jack

Sorry I didn't imply she'd just passed away.
Just thought it was an interesting connection to Swansea.
I had no idea of the story, interesting none the less I thought.
Enjoy the sunshine fellas 👍

I vaguely remember seeing a programme on this, amazing character and story.
Princess Lillian of Sweden on 14:00 - May 7 with 5226 viewsFieryJack

Where in Swansea was she from?

St. Thomas?
Princess Lillian of Sweden on 14:39 - May 7 with 5196 viewsjack2jack

Princess Lillian of Sweden on 14:00 - May 7 by FieryJack

Where in Swansea was she from?

St. Thomas?

Dunno Fj can't find that info,her father was a trader in the market though, I'll do some more digging later
Princess Lillian of Sweden on 14:43 - May 7 with 5181 viewstheloneranger

"Lillian May Davies, was born in her grandparents home 3 Garden Street, Swansea on 30 August 1915, a month or two after her parents' marriage."

http://yba.llgc.org.uk/en/s8-BERT-LIL-1915.html

Login to get fewer ads

Princess Lillian of Sweden on 15:48 - May 7 with 5134 viewsFieryJack

Princess Lillian of Sweden on 14:43 - May 7 by theloneranger

"Lillian May Davies, was born in her grandparents home 3 Garden Street, Swansea on 30 August 1915, a month or two after her parents' marriage."

http://yba.llgc.org.uk/en/s8-BERT-LIL-1915.html

Interesting.

There's a Garden Street bang in the middle of Swansea at the back of Debenhams - presume, if this was the place she was born - that it would have been full of terraced housing in 1915 - and that it was obliterated in the 3 nights of bombing in Feb 1942.
Princess Lillian of Sweden on 20:09 - May 7 with 5004 viewsjack2jack

Ranger and FJ, spot on fellas, just found this, confirms she was born, where the Quadrant sits now,Garden St. Thanks for the info.
http://www.itv.com/news/wales/2013-03-11/the-swansea-girl-who-became-a-swedish-p
Princess Lillian of Sweden on 09:48 - May 8 with 4855 viewsGreatBritton

Princess Lillian of Sweden on 15:48 - May 7 by FieryJack

Interesting.

There's a Garden Street bang in the middle of Swansea at the back of Debenhams - presume, if this was the place she was born - that it would have been full of terraced housing in 1915 - and that it was obliterated in the 3 nights of bombing in Feb 1942.

Garden Street (best misnomer ever - a slum of terraced hovels) was notobliterated in 1942. I lived in Plymouth Street just opposite the horrific maw of this dishevelled pit of misery in the fifties and sixties. Kids in vests but nothing else used to play in the dirt on their doorsteps whilst their inebriated fathers or stepfathers fought and drank their way to their own particular obliteration. I'm no fan of Swansea town planners but even they saw that this could not continue into the latter part of the brightly coloured swinging sixties.
Princess Lillian of Sweden on 11:33 - May 8 with 4766 viewsLohengrin

Princess Lillian of Sweden on 09:48 - May 8 by GreatBritton

Garden Street (best misnomer ever - a slum of terraced hovels) was notobliterated in 1942. I lived in Plymouth Street just opposite the horrific maw of this dishevelled pit of misery in the fifties and sixties. Kids in vests but nothing else used to play in the dirt on their doorsteps whilst their inebriated fathers or stepfathers fought and drank their way to their own particular obliteration. I'm no fan of Swansea town planners but even they saw that this could not continue into the latter part of the brightly coloured swinging sixties.

“I lived in Plymouth Street just opposite the horrific maw of this dishevelled pit of misery in the fifties and sixties.”

If I had the wherewithal I’d commission you to write a book on post-war Swansea, Sir. ‘Attlee’s children.’ That’s the working title that leaps out at me. I’ve already worked out my pitch to BBC Wales for the film rights.

An idea isn't responsible for those who believe in it.

Princess Lillian of Sweden on 14:25 - May 8 with 4685 viewstheloneranger

The Gardeners...public house in Garden Street.

Gumshield optional

Princess Lillian of Sweden on 14:40 - May 8 with 4671 viewsEbo

Princess Lillian of Sweden on 00:43 - May 7 by Highjack

I can put the calculator away then.

RIP YJB + Massive Swans fan.

Did you borrow your calculator from Pikey?

Thank you, goodnight and bollocks
Poll: What couldn't you live without?

Princess Lillian of Sweden on 15:26 - May 8 with 4629 viewsLeonWasGod

It's the inverse Bony effect.
Princess Lillian of Sweden on 15:28 - May 8 with 4625 viewsHighjack

Princess Lillian of Sweden on 14:40 - May 8 by Ebo

Did you borrow your calculator from Pikey?

No, his says “Made in Britain” on it so it probably doesn’t work.

Princess Lillian of Sweden on 10:01 - May 12 with 4412 viewsGreatBritton

Princess Lillian of Sweden on 11:33 - May 8 by Lohengrin

“I lived in Plymouth Street just opposite the horrific maw of this dishevelled pit of misery in the fifties and sixties.”

If I had the wherewithal I’d commission you to write a book on post-war Swansea, Sir. ‘Attlee’s children.’ That’s the working title that leaps out at me. I’ve already worked out my pitch to BBC Wales for the film rights.

Thank you, but I would not be able to say much about the town because I spent many years hiding indoors because it would plainly have been madness to brave those streets. Also, Attlee prepared the ground for the eventual amelioration of society. Eden and Macmillan not so much.
Princess Lillian of Sweden on 12:15 - May 12 with 4364 viewsLohengrin

Princess Lillian of Sweden on 10:01 - May 12 by GreatBritton

Thank you, but I would not be able to say much about the town because I spent many years hiding indoors because it would plainly have been madness to brave those streets. Also, Attlee prepared the ground for the eventual amelioration of society. Eden and Macmillan not so much.

After a hasty rewrite I’ve come up with ‘a view from the box room window: memoir of an adolescent voyeur.’ This scenario sees you confined to your room recovering from a bout of TB with a pen, paper and battered astronomer’s telescope. There you sit day after day, night after night bearing witness to the movement of the heavens and the comings and goings of the neighbourhood.

Shades of Hitchcock in there, but instead of a murder you get to see bomb damage made good, hopscotch on the pavements and gardeners with bucket and scuttle following the dray horse up the road as you sit there sipping Ovaltine as the sound of Harry Lime theme and Dickie Valentine waft from a poorly-tuned wireless.

An idea isn't responsible for those who believe in it.

Princess Lillian of Sweden on 14:02 - May 12 with 4301 viewsLoyal

I'd flick through her sunday supplement.
Get some margarine on her inner flaps and she will be as supple and receptive as a 76 year old.

Nolan sympathiser, clout expert, personal friend of Leigh Dineen, advocate and enforcer of porridge swallows. The official inventor of the tit w@nk.
Poll: Who should be Swansea number 1

Princess Lillian of Sweden on 14:09 - May 12 with 4294 viewsFieryJack

Sounds terrific.

Positively Dickensian.

Wonder if there are any photos of this street around.

If it still existed it would be some sort of tourist attraction.

I mean, since all the 20th century slum clearances, poverty has been sanitised and the sink estates are just visually characterless.

Joking aside, Lillian did well to become a Swedish princess after being born in such a hell-hole.
Princess Lillian of Sweden on 14:31 - May 12 with 4276 viewsHighjack

Princess Lillian of Sweden on 14:09 - May 12 by FieryJack

Sounds terrific.

Positively Dickensian.

Wonder if there are any photos of this street around.

If it still existed it would be some sort of tourist attraction.

I mean, since all the 20th century slum clearances, poverty has been sanitised and the sink estates are just visually characterless.

Joking aside, Lillian did well to become a Swedish princess after being born in such a hell-hole.

The way Sweden is going recently I think old Lil would prefer Garden St.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024