Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Can we get the “Swansea Way” back ? 23:18 - May 14 with 5962 viewsswansvalleyjack

We all bemoan the loss of the “Swansea Way” on the pitch, which started with Martinez, and taken on by Rogers and Laudrup in the Premier League.

This being a combination of crisp accurate incisive passing all over the pitch, lots of triangles, players always looking to move into space; decent defenders who were comfortable on the ball; playing out from the back with solid hold up play - bringing midfielders, wingers & full backs into attack; then finished off more often by the likes of Graham, Michu & Bony ; plus a patient acceptance from fans that even passing around the back would soon build up to something exciting and positive.

And of course the legend Leon - the glue holding it all together. Plus some shrewd transfers — especially at the start of our Premier League adventure under Rodgers & Laudrup — with everyone buying into our consistent style of play.

Can we ever get that back ? I’d like to think so, but I was reminded of its fallibility tonight by Gordon Strachan on the radio, as part of a discussion about who of the relegated clubs might have the best and earliest opportunity to get back to the Premier League.

Strachan rightly extolled the virtues of the way we played, though he was mistaken in saying that the “Swansea Way” was only for a couple of years. Yes, we had the first three great seasons in the Premier League (including the Cup/Europe) but Strachan forgets that - although in the leagues below — we had developed that passing style of play since 2007 when Martinez was appointed.

But Strachan was right when he said that it was a no brainer for Premier League Clubs to soon work out how to combat our style — “so you like to pass — well, we ain’t gonna let you — we’re going to get into your faces all the time — and unless you’re Barcelona or Manchester City (who have quality players who can cope with close pressing) - then let’s see how you cope”.

And after the first couple of years, we were found out. In fact, my recollection of this first happening, was by Everton under David Moyes at the Liberty — can’t remember when exactly, but I remember thinking — oh oh, our guys aren’t handling this pressure too well, passes hit hurriedly under pressing opponents, not given time to build from the back etc . Normally, teams just stood off us and allowed us to pass and play, waiting to break us up later.

I guess that led us into the Monk Plan B — which should have been an option to our Plan A — but turned into a permanent Plan B. And the rest is history… Plan A disappeared totally, compounded by many shockingly poor transfers (wasting millions); a ridiculous turnover of managers; and the off-field mis-management & sale etc etc. Leading to the inevitable relegation, and the worst football we’ve seen for many many years.

So while I would like to see a return of the “Swansea Way” on the pitch — has that era passed us by ? Have too many others caught up ? Do they bother ? Will we be sussed out again ?

I admit I don’t know the answers — but surely there has to be a way which will be more attractive than those last three years of really poor football (a particular low point for me seeing Fabianski regularly punting as far and as high as he could to the Ayew brothers up front FFS).

Fulham play attacking flowing football, and they reached the play-off final tonight - though unlike our hedge fund investors, they do have a Billionaire owner !! Plus Burnley have done brilliantly this season — what’s their secret ?

Anyway, a first basic for me - on the pitch - is to get back to some attractive and effective wide play with fast wingers and supported by attacking full backs. Plus finding hungry players through a revamped scouting system. And while the original Plan A (“Swansea Way”) is a lovely thought, we do need a pragmatic Plan B or C — but as OPTIONS (not permanent) depending on opponents and circumstances.

What do you guys ideally want to see ? (Apart from Jenkins out, and new Investors !!)
Can we get the “Swansea Way” back ? on 23:22 - May 14 with 3969 viewsDJack

Short answer...It's gonna take a while.

It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring. - Carl Sagan

Can we get the “Swansea Way” back ? on 00:12 - May 15 with 3892 viewsYossarian

Can we get the “Swansea Way” back ? on 23:22 - May 14 by DJack

Short answer...It's gonna take a while.

Shorter answer: No.

"Yossarian- the very sight of the name made him shudder.There were so many esses in it. It just had to be subversive" (Catch 22)

Can we get the “Swansea Way” back ? on 02:39 - May 15 with 3833 viewsSwan91

We should go back to "the Swansea Way" but we should also have a plan B.. back then we tried to play the same every game.... we should have a back up tactic/formation to use against teams who press higher.
Can we get the “Swansea Way” back ? on 07:27 - May 15 with 3725 viewsdameedna

At one stage we had to adapt as the Martinez style only lasted so long.

We will be pushing the likes of Villa, West Brom, Stoke, Forest, Leeds for a share of the spoils next season and the next stage will be to try and finish top 6 which we have not managed for 7 years.

Might be hard to break a losing pattern.
Can we get the “Swansea Way” back ? on 07:29 - May 15 with 3721 viewsSTID2017

We need to get back to winning ways.
However that is achieved will be all that matters to the club.
We won't see "The Swansea Way" for a long time IMO

"Sanity and happiness are an impossible combination" - Mark Twain
Poll: Who Would You Want As Captain For Swans ?

Can we get the “Swansea Way” back ? on 07:29 - May 15 with 3722 viewsbuilthjack

It really depends who is the manager and if he is allowed to sign his own players.

Swansea Indepenent Poster Of The Year 2021. Dr P / Mart66 / Roathie / Parlay / E20/ Duffle was 2nd, but he is deluded and thinks in his little twisted brain that he won. Poor sod. We let him win this year, as he has cried for a whole year. His 14 usernames, bless his cotton socks.

Can we get the “Swansea Way” back ? on 07:35 - May 15 with 3712 viewsCopaMundial

Can we get the “Swansea Way” back ? on 02:39 - May 15 by Swan91

We should go back to "the Swansea Way" but we should also have a plan B.. back then we tried to play the same every game.... we should have a back up tactic/formation to use against teams who press higher.

And this is why we're in the mess we are.
We never needed a plan B all we needed to do was build on and refine plan A. Plan " A " was plenty good enough to beat the teams we needed to and also good enough to give the top table the odd bloody nose.
From memory two teams ( Everton , Norwich ) did a job on us when we played that beautiful passing game which led to many on here claiming that we'd been found out and that we needed to mix things up,that was the beginning of the end .
I'm certain that if we'd stuck to that style of football we'd still be a Premier league side , we've played Plan " B " football for the last couple of seasons which has resulted in us being relegated from the worst quality Premiership since it's inception.
Can we get the “Swansea Way” back ? on 07:42 - May 15 with 3687 viewsDr_Winston

We have to get midfield right. It's been our Achilles heel all season. Not enough strength, not enough heart, not enough creativity. Do that and the rest can fall into place under a manager willing and able to drill decent football back into the side.

Whether we've got people in place to both select a decent manager and acquire the players we need in the middle is another matter.

This post has been edited by an administrator

Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair, or f*cking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.

Login to get fewer ads

Can we get the “Swansea Way” back ? on 07:44 - May 15 with 3680 viewsPrivate_Partz

Can we get the “Swansea Way” back ? on 07:35 - May 15 by CopaMundial

And this is why we're in the mess we are.
We never needed a plan B all we needed to do was build on and refine plan A. Plan " A " was plenty good enough to beat the teams we needed to and also good enough to give the top table the odd bloody nose.
From memory two teams ( Everton , Norwich ) did a job on us when we played that beautiful passing game which led to many on here claiming that we'd been found out and that we needed to mix things up,that was the beginning of the end .
I'm certain that if we'd stuck to that style of football we'd still be a Premier league side , we've played Plan " B " football for the last couple of seasons which has resulted in us being relegated from the worst quality Premiership since it's inception.

I agree with this. We were not 'found out'.
There were any number of reasons that the second ML season was not as successful and it was not the other sides learning how to combat our style.
Monk did not change the style out of necessity. He knew no different and lacked the ability to manage a club playing that way.
We can and must get back to that style of play if we are not going to be just another club slugging it around in the lower leagues.
The problem is we need a manager and a recruitment team that can support such a development programme. There is not the will or the capability to do this at the club at the moment.
Change must happen first.

You have mission in life to hold out your hand, To help the other guy out, Help your fellow man. Stan Ridgway

Can we get the “Swansea Way” back ? on 08:03 - May 15 with 3637 viewsswancity

It would take Martinez a week of training sessions to get this back instilled into our players. It's a philosophy that isn't rocket science. You get the ball down, you pass you move and you attack with pace out wide.

Only an idiot would eat a turkey curry on Christmas day

Can we get the “Swansea Way” back ? on 08:13 - May 15 with 3610 viewsPrivate_Partz

Can we get the “Swansea Way” back ? on 08:03 - May 15 by swancity

It would take Martinez a week of training sessions to get this back instilled into our players. It's a philosophy that isn't rocket science. You get the ball down, you pass you move and you attack with pace out wide.

Easy to say but not easy to do. It requires intensive on the ball training and all 11 players must be comfortable in possession.
There is massive work to be done but it is achievable.
We have to get a recruitment system and a manager that can promote this style in the first place however.

You have mission in life to hold out your hand, To help the other guy out, Help your fellow man. Stan Ridgway

Can we get the “Swansea Way” back ? on 08:48 - May 15 with 3556 viewssomersetsimon

We are always going to be at a disadvantage compared to other clubs in terms of resources, so our best chance is to find a style of play and stick to it (with a decent plan B). If we just try to play generic football with generic players, then we'll be trying to play the same game as everyone else, but with cheaper players and we won't have a chance.
Can we get the “Swansea Way” back ? on 09:04 - May 15 with 3526 viewsGeoffThom

We only lost a few games and people panicked about being sussed on another day we may have won .
Bournmouth are a example of this they adopted our style and still play it and they are ok every year we would habe been the same we were only ever going to knock around mid to bottom of the table with a couple of cup runs but some expected top 10 every week .
We can go back to playing total football but the side and management needs to be right I'd pick on Angel for manager
Can we get the “Swansea Way” back ? on 09:12 - May 15 with 3495 viewsSTID2017

Can we get the “Swansea Way” back ? on 09:04 - May 15 by GeoffThom

We only lost a few games and people panicked about being sussed on another day we may have won .
Bournmouth are a example of this they adopted our style and still play it and they are ok every year we would habe been the same we were only ever going to knock around mid to bottom of the table with a couple of cup runs but some expected top 10 every week .
We can go back to playing total football but the side and management needs to be right I'd pick on Angel for manager

Has he even got the badges ?
Do you need them in the Championship

As much as many still resent him, I'd welcome Roberto back in a heartbeat

Can we get the “Swansea Way” back ? on 09:14 - May 15 with 3492 viewsGeoffThom

Can we get the “Swansea Way” back ? on 09:12 - May 15 by STID2017

Has he even got the badges ?
Do you need them in the Championship

As much as many still resent him, I'd welcome Roberto back in a heartbeat

I'm not sure but he strikes me as martinez did as management material I've a feeling that's were he's going next year
Can we get the “Swansea Way” back ? on 09:17 - May 15 with 3480 viewsSTID2017

Can we get the “Swansea Way” back ? on 09:14 - May 15 by GeoffThom

I'm not sure but he strikes me as martinez did as management material I've a feeling that's were he's going next year

If he is going to be a manager, then I'd rather him here than somewhere else.

Can we get the “Swansea Way” back ? on 09:21 - May 15 with 3472 viewsDr_Winston

Can we get the “Swansea Way” back ? on 09:17 - May 15 by STID2017

If he is going to be a manager, then I'd rather him here than somewhere else.

If he is going to be a manager, I'd rather he went elsewhere to learn the job and make his mistakes rather than make them here.

I'd have thought the Monk era would have cured anyone of wanting to stick inexperienced ex-players into the managers job.

Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair, or f*cking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.

Can we get the “Swansea Way” back ? on 09:24 - May 15 with 3458 viewsSTID2017

Can we get the “Swansea Way” back ? on 09:21 - May 15 by Dr_Winston

If he is going to be a manager, I'd rather he went elsewhere to learn the job and make his mistakes rather than make them here.

I'd have thought the Monk era would have cured anyone of wanting to stick inexperienced ex-players into the managers job.

Like Roberto you mean ?
Nobody was more experienced than Carlos
Experienced doesn't necessarily = good
Inexperienced doesn't necessarily = no good

Can we get the “Swansea Way” back ? on 09:28 - May 15 with 3455 viewsDr_Winston

Can we get the “Swansea Way” back ? on 09:24 - May 15 by STID2017

Like Roberto you mean ?
Nobody was more experienced than Carlos
Experienced doesn't necessarily = good
Inexperienced doesn't necessarily = no good

If we were mid table in League One coming off the back of 25 years of not much at all then it might be a risk worth taking.

Can we get the “Swansea Way” back ? on 09:30 - May 15 with 3443 viewsSTID2017

Can we get the “Swansea Way” back ? on 09:28 - May 15 by Dr_Winston

If we were mid table in League One coming off the back of 25 years of not much at all then it might be a risk worth taking.

I know where your coming from, but my fear is finding a manager of any worthiness is going to be very hard in the current climate.

Can we get the “Swansea Way” back ? on 09:32 - May 15 with 3436 viewsDr_Winston

Can we get the “Swansea Way” back ? on 09:30 - May 15 by STID2017

I know where your coming from, but my fear is finding a manager of any worthiness is going to be very hard in the current climate.

Easier than chucking Rangel into the hotseat and hoping for the best. It fails far more often than it works.

He's a smart guy and probably does have the makings of a decent manager, but it's best for him and us if he learns his trade elsewhere.

Can we get the “Swansea Way” back ? on 09:42 - May 15 with 3413 viewsCopaMundial

Give Rangel a role as a scout, he’s technically excellent as he showed on Sunday, more than capable of spotting a player and it would be a great grounding for him to eventually move into management.
Can we get the “Swansea Way” back ? on 09:49 - May 15 with 3390 viewsA_Fans_Dad

"We need special managers and special players to institute that style"
Well how about the U23s, because basically that IS how they play.
But just like the 1st team they do suffer from the very hard press, but there are few teams that can maintain that for 90+ minutes.
Can we get the “Swansea Way” back ? on 09:54 - May 15 with 3375 viewsWarwickHunt

A week to do that and ten years for him to organise a defence.
Can we get the “Swansea Way” back ? on 10:04 - May 15 with 3339 views34dfgdf54

It really isn't that simple though.

You need players which are comfortable in possession even under pressure, players with vision and the ability to pick a pass. We would need atleast 4, probably 5 players to be brought in with the ability to play that way.

Do you think Cardiff's side this year would have been promoted trying to play it on the deck?
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024