Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
You lot should stop looking for scapegoats 20:31 - May 17 with 8938 viewspeenemunde

And should look back on the last 16 years, with great memories and pride in what SCFC has archived.

Winston Churchill, one said “This is not the end, this is not even the beginning of the end, but perhaps an end to the beginning.
Yet some of you are acting like you have just seen the four horsemen of the apocalypse ride into town.

Have a word with yourselves ffs, and realise what a remarkable journey we’ve been on.
Roll on August.........

You lot should stop looking for scapegoats on 11:49 - May 18 with 1815 viewsswan65split

You lot should stop looking for scapegoats on 11:23 - May 18 by Nookiejack

There was a good piece on TV last Sunday in SKY's Sunday Supplement about us. Here's the link:-

http://www.skysports.com/watch/tv-shows/sunday-supplement/podcasts

It start at 35mins 20 secs.

Respected journalists here giving their view on us. So no scapegoating.

Sam Wallace -
"how can you make the recruitment better'
"is Huw Jenkins still the man to do it?"
"It is as simple as picking the wrong players and the wrong managers"
"it s probably best that someone else has a go"
"when your recruitment fails that badly it is just not the manager too blame. It is the person picking the manager"
"Time for for someone else to have a go"
"They are Swansea City they have no God given right to stay in the premier League"
"This season they have clearly made a lot of mistakes"

Martin Samuel - he watched the Southampton game and his comments were:-
"Nothing on Tuesday night that you saw that you felt came off the training field"
"When Swansea got the ball everything seemed to be off the cuff"
"you didn't look at anything in the match, that you felt that they had been working on"
"Sooner or later all teams outside top teams will go down"
"There are 10 t0 12 clubs in the PL that are just one bad transfer window away from relegation"
"they have gone down because they are Swansea, that is the nature of them not being Man U"

My own view is we chopped and changed managers so many times and introduced pragmatic football - just to stay in the PL at all costs, to protect selling shareholders £100m value at stake.

The trouble is with so many managerial changes you lose your patterns of play.

We might have got any with it the season, if we brought in another main striker instead of Bony and who had a terrible injury record, at the end of his time at Man City and throughout all his time at Stoke. That too me seemed a key signing as you couldn't expect Tammy Abrahams to lead the line throughout the entire season and get you enough goals.

The Andre Ayew signing didn't come off either in the last transfer window. He again didn't seem to be the same layer that left us, after the injury he picked up when first joining West Ham.

You can argue it is all inevitable that one day you will be relegated - but then why pay £500k a year plus bonuses to a DO, if it is all inevitable?

If the rumours are true - about Huw Jenkins having an option agreement to sell his residual shares to the Yanks, if we are in the PL, then that is probably worth £5m plus to him (and similarly to Martin Morgan and his ex-wife) - so he has a considerable vested interest in staying on.

The trouble is because he is so divisive with the fans (the Trust have put out a statement that they have lost confidence in him), then as soon as we lose a few games in the Championship, all hell breaks out again and then I cant' see how you then go forward?

Thank You....nice little read, better than half the War and Peace mumbo Jumbo we get , and a bit enlightening.
Bottom line is that hes messed up , time to go.
You lot should stop looking for scapegoats on 12:39 - May 18 with 1776 viewsJoe_bradshaw

You lot should stop looking for scapegoats on 11:07 - May 18 by peenemunde

I know this to be 100 % true.

Planet Swans Prediction League Winner Season 2013-14. Runner up 2014_15.
Poll: How many points clear of relegation will we be on Saturday night?

You lot should stop looking for scapegoats on 13:05 - May 18 with 1752 viewsjacksfullaces

You lot should stop looking for scapegoats on 07:39 - May 18 by E20Jack

Relegation is, and was, the result of a perfect storm - the majority of which was just the natural result of a club our size being at that level for so long.

I don’t buy into the lack of effort theory or the poor tactics as such. The latter just being the result of the initial point. You can only work with what you are given and have to set your team out due to that. There is a reason Aldershot don’t play like 1970’s Brazil.

Initially, we would have been happy staying up by the skin of our teeth upon promotion and one extra year in the PL. instead we got 7 of them, some of them top half finishes, a cup win and a European adventure. Incredible really.

So why did we get relegated? For me, it was inevitable. We do not generate our own finances above and beyond what is normal expenditure and running costs. This means we have to sell to regenerate each year. This isn’t a choice by the way, allow people to run their contacts down and you end up with no player and no money to replace - the most certain path to fast track relegation.

However, each time the above is done presents a risk. Will the player settle, will he have the impact wanted? For the majority of our time in the league we had a strong squad which could carry any slow starters. The nucleus of Williams, Britton, Dyer and Rangel all in their primes means we could have some flaws in the side and still be able to win games and settle those flaws into our way of playing.

We have come up against the Man Utd class of 96 issue, where all these players got old, past their best and we were faced with a task of replacing them pretty much all in one go. This on top of strengthening other areas. It was always going to be an uphill task as has been shown to be the case.

How did we deal with this? Well each manager (Bradley aside) saw this and felt the best form of survival was indeed to defend, our attack, passing and flow went and we retreated more and more into our shell like a shellfish under threat - until we were no longer able to play the way we did before. So for me, this relegation is perfectly natural and has been miraculously staved off until now.

Onto Jenkins and co. What they did with regards to the selling of the club was negligent in the extreme and wholly irresponsible. Do I think it had a direct impact on the fortunes of the club to the point where if it did not happen then we would still be thriving at the top table? Not for me. We would have to have faced the above challenges anyway and it is a challenge not even the likes of Man Utd found easy to do, and are still trying to get right almost a decade later.

We have the right to be extremely disappointed in the handling of certain affairs, we have the right to be hurt due to the breakdown of relationships, we have the right to feel gutted by relegation... but pi*sed off? I’m not so sure. We have had it very good. Much beyond anything I could ever have imagined when I first started following us.

We now need to rebuild, start from scratch and evolve again. I am not convinced trying to clone what we were before would work anymore. There was a time and a place for it and the stars aligned, we need fresh ideas, a fresh approach and be innovative again. This goes for appointments in all departments.
[Post edited 18 May 2018 7:50]

good post. would sum up most of my thoughts at this time.

I guess the scapegoat bit determines who people are comfortable in leading the rebuilding process, although ultimately fans won't really have a say; presumably the thinking would have been the Trust could have more influence if things hadn't gone the way they had.

So there are scapegoat issues around the Trust for some too.

Either way, your final paragraph is the new starting point once all the hand wringing/hand pointing/hand gestures are done.
You lot should stop looking for scapegoats on 13:19 - May 18 with 1742 viewspeenemunde

You lot should stop looking for scapegoats on 13:05 - May 18 by jacksfullaces

good post. would sum up most of my thoughts at this time.

I guess the scapegoat bit determines who people are comfortable in leading the rebuilding process, although ultimately fans won't really have a say; presumably the thinking would have been the Trust could have more influence if things hadn't gone the way they had.

So there are scapegoat issues around the Trust for some too.

Either way, your final paragraph is the new starting point once all the hand wringing/hand pointing/hand gestures are done.

Please keep the trust away from making decisions regarding the new manager.
You lot should stop looking for scapegoats on 13:32 - May 18 with 1717 viewsE20Jack

Managers don’t really have much say on player recruitment these days, do they? They can provide a contact if they have worked somewhere before or indeed make a recommendation, but these are usually done by committee. The concerning thing for me, is if Jenkins goes - then the man trusted to lead that group would probably be Pearlman. If i thought we would bring in a top class football DoF then I would be calling for it myself - but does anyone actually think this would happen? They are bottom of the league (or close to) in all their sports clubs for a reason. I just recommend people think of the alternative, the realistic one, because it certainly doesn’t fill me with confidence looking at what may lay ahead.

Poll: 6 point deduction and sellouts lose all their cash?

You lot should stop looking for scapegoats on 13:45 - May 18 with 1697 viewsMattG

You lot should stop looking for scapegoats on 09:37 - May 18 by peenemunde

Ah ok, so it’s ok for you to tell lies, but no one else should.
Isn’t that called hypocrisy.

Hypocrisy, you say.....

http://www.skysports.com/football/news/11731/9724954/swansea-chairman-huw-jenkin
You lot should stop looking for scapegoats on 13:51 - May 18 with 1680 viewsLeonWasGod

If SCAFC had an escaped goat, it would look like this...

You lot should stop looking for scapegoats on 14:18 - May 18 with 1659 viewsNookiejack

It appears Scapegoat is Jewish in origin

https://www.chabad.org/parshah/article_cdo/aid/1846869/jewish/The-Scapegoat-Aton

The Scapegoat: Atonement and Purification

"The strangest element of the service on Yom Kippur, set out in Acharei Mot,1 was the ritual of the two goats, one offered as a sacrifice, the other sent away into the desert “to Azazel.” They were brought before the High Priest, to all intents and purposes indistinguishable from one another: they were chosen to be as similar as possible to one another in size and appearance. Lots were drawn, one bearing the words “To the L‑rd,” the other, “To Azazel.” The one on which the lot “To the L‑rd” fell was offered as a sacrifice. Over the other the High Priest confessed the sins of the nation and it was then taken away into the desert hills outside Jerusalem where it plunged to its death. "
Login to get fewer ads

You lot should stop looking for scapegoats on 14:47 - May 18 with 1625 viewspeenemunde

You lot should stop looking for scapegoats on 13:32 - May 18 by E20Jack

Managers don’t really have much say on player recruitment these days, do they? They can provide a contact if they have worked somewhere before or indeed make a recommendation, but these are usually done by committee. The concerning thing for me, is if Jenkins goes - then the man trusted to lead that group would probably be Pearlman. If i thought we would bring in a top class football DoF then I would be calling for it myself - but does anyone actually think this would happen? They are bottom of the league (or close to) in all their sports clubs for a reason. I just recommend people think of the alternative, the realistic one, because it certainly doesn’t fill me with confidence looking at what may lay ahead.

Have to agree with what you’ve written there. In fact spot on.
The easiest thing is to say “Jenkins must go”, then what ?
Replace him with who ?
You lot should stop looking for scapegoats on 14:49 - May 18 with 1622 viewspeenemunde

You lot should stop looking for scapegoats on 13:45 - May 18 by MattG

Hypocrisy, you say.....

http://www.skysports.com/football/news/11731/9724954/swansea-chairman-huw-jenkin

That’s not hypocrisy. Try and find another word, but not hypocrisy.
You lot should stop looking for scapegoats on 14:53 - May 18 with 1614 viewslonglostjack

You lot should stop looking for scapegoats on 14:49 - May 18 by peenemunde

That’s not hypocrisy. Try and find another word, but not hypocrisy.

Devious, despicable, downright dishonest. Take your pick.

Poll: Alcohol in the lockdown

You lot should stop looking for scapegoats on 14:53 - May 18 with 1611 viewspeenemunde

You lot should stop looking for scapegoats on 14:53 - May 18 by longlostjack

Devious, despicable, downright dishonest. Take your pick.

So you agree not hypocrisy.
You lot should stop looking for scapegoats on 14:54 - May 18 with 1610 viewsHighjack

You lot should stop looking for scapegoats on 14:47 - May 18 by peenemunde

Have to agree with what you’ve written there. In fact spot on.
The easiest thing is to say “Jenkins must go”, then what ?
Replace him with who ?

A tombola filled with players names who had high potential on football manager 2011?

The creatures outside looked from pig to man, and from man to pig, and from pig to man again; but already it was impossible to say which was which.
Poll: Should Dippy Drakeford do us all a massive favour and just bog off?

You lot should stop looking for scapegoats on 14:57 - May 18 with 1606 viewswaynekerr55

Peenemunde, you're correct. We should be looking for 'escaped goats'

How many of you know what DP stands for?
Poll: POTY 2019
Blog: Too many things for a title, but stop with the xenophobia accusations!

You lot should stop looking for scapegoats on 14:57 - May 18 with 1604 viewspeenemunde

You lot should stop looking for scapegoats on 14:54 - May 18 by Highjack

A tombola filled with players names who had high potential on football manager 2011?

The way I see it is, the best person to replace HJ is HJ.
You lot should stop looking for scapegoats on 14:59 - May 18 with 1601 viewspeenemunde

You lot should stop looking for scapegoats on 14:57 - May 18 by waynekerr55

Peenemunde, you're correct. We should be looking for 'escaped goats'

Another one with no plan B. Oh sorry you don’t even have a plan A.
You lot should stop looking for scapegoats on 15:15 - May 18 with 1582 viewsNookiejack

You lot should stop looking for scapegoats on 14:57 - May 18 by peenemunde

What was he doing last season he brought Bony back and Andre Ayew back?

Just smacks of lazy recruitment - why will he be better than a DOF who can be headhunted?

The cycle has turned and he will take us back down the divisions.

He is far too divisive and we only have to lose a couple of games at the start of the season for the club to be in turmoil again - with him in charge.

A fresh start is needed.
You lot should stop looking for scapegoats on 15:33 - May 18 with 1556 viewsswan65split

You lot should stop looking for scapegoats on 15:15 - May 18 by Nookiejack

What was he doing last season he brought Bony back and Andre Ayew back?

Just smacks of lazy recruitment - why will he be better than a DOF who can be headhunted?

The cycle has turned and he will take us back down the divisions.

He is far too divisive and we only have to lose a couple of games at the start of the season for the club to be in turmoil again - with him in charge.

A fresh start is needed.

exactly.
You lot should stop looking for scapegoats on 15:56 - May 18 with 1537 viewsSmellyplumz

You lot should stop looking for scapegoats on 14:57 - May 18 by peenemunde

Only because he's balls deep in your hoop.

""Although I cannot promise or predict the future, I can guarantee one thing - the current board of directors will always fight, as we have done over the last 12 years, to work together as one with the Supporters Trust to make 100% sure that Swansea City football club remains the number one priority in all our thoughts and in every decision we make."
Poll: Huw Jenkins

You lot should stop looking for scapegoats on 17:22 - May 18 with 1497 viewswaynekerr55

You lot should stop looking for scapegoats on 14:59 - May 18 by peenemunde

Another one with no plan B. Oh sorry you don’t even have a plan A.

Well a fûcking traffic cone would do a better job than chancer Jenkins.

My plan A is to appoint a proper DoF, you know, applications and interviews. Succession plan by developing a proper structure. That way there's minimal need for a plan B. We were a 100m+ turnover company until your idol/mate made a dogs dinner of the job.

How many of you know what DP stands for?
Poll: POTY 2019
Blog: Too many things for a title, but stop with the xenophobia accusations!

You lot should stop looking for scapegoats on 18:28 - May 18 with 1468 viewsMattG

You lot should stop looking for scapegoats on 14:53 - May 18 by peenemunde

So you agree not hypocrisy.

Why not?

According to Wikipedia, "Hypocrisy is the contrivance of a false appearance of virtue or goodness, while concealing real character or inclinations".

Sounds pretty spot on to me.
You lot should stop looking for scapegoats on 19:53 - May 18 with 1402 viewsjacksfullaces

assuming most people on this board don't run a multi million pound business, or work at the top end of sports executives/sport recruitment headhunting a new name unlikely to be within their scope.

expecting the business to do a complete review of the last few years, possibly bringing in some management consultants who do have a sense of a few options who might be able to come and put a strategy or two together isn't unreasonable expectation.

picking a random name as an alternative to Huw would be business studies for beginners, so how about expecting the owners to undertake a transparent review of the rights/wrongs, with 2-3 different ways forward, and a variety of different roles/structures to get there.

still a gamble, but doing the same thing and expecting different results has pretty much got us to where we are right now, so change of some kind is definitely needed. have they got the appetite for this? as the thing about football, it all has to be done yesterday.
You lot should stop looking for scapegoats on 20:34 - May 18 with 1382 viewsswan65split

Is Pee wee sleeping ?
You lot should stop looking for scapegoats on 21:33 - May 18 with 1361 viewsE20Jack

You lot should stop looking for scapegoats on 19:53 - May 18 by jacksfullaces

assuming most people on this board don't run a multi million pound business, or work at the top end of sports executives/sport recruitment headhunting a new name unlikely to be within their scope.

expecting the business to do a complete review of the last few years, possibly bringing in some management consultants who do have a sense of a few options who might be able to come and put a strategy or two together isn't unreasonable expectation.

picking a random name as an alternative to Huw would be business studies for beginners, so how about expecting the owners to undertake a transparent review of the rights/wrongs, with 2-3 different ways forward, and a variety of different roles/structures to get there.

still a gamble, but doing the same thing and expecting different results has pretty much got us to where we are right now, so change of some kind is definitely needed. have they got the appetite for this? as the thing about football, it all has to be done yesterday.

Have they done this with their other failing sports clubs then? If not then looking at history to predict the future is not a bad start. As I said, if I thought they would bring in a proper football minded DoF with pedigree then I would be all for change, I am not convinced they will though and can’t see how anyone else can be. Jenkins and the committee had a shocking 3 years, but a pretty good 10 years prior to that. So once I ask myself what I believe the alternative is (Pearlman or someone else they trust) then the decision for me is an easy one. But as you have also said, due to the continued failings of the people running the Trust, debating it is futile as we don’t have a say in it anyway.

Poll: 6 point deduction and sellouts lose all their cash?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024