Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
“The Swansea Way” is a myth 13:19 - May 21 with 5632 viewsBrad_Bobbly

We played it for what, like, 3 years?

I remember us hoofing it long to Trundle at the Vetch.

We need to win matches again, not worry about playing like a Barcelona lite.
“The Swansea Way” is a myth on 13:24 - May 21 with 4043 viewsomarjack

I agree..There is no such thing as the Swansea way or cringe-worthy "Swansealona"..

We've managed to string few passes for a couple of seasons yay us..before and after that it's always been nothing but a shower of sh!t..(Not that I mind sh!t football as long as we're winning)

After all..although many will deny that..

Winning=Entertainment :)

Poll: England vs Croatia (who's going to win)

“The Swansea Way” is a myth on 13:24 - May 21 with 4037 viewsBarrySwan

The difference is of course that we actually had someone who could do something with and possibly score a goal after receiving a big hoof from the back.

We don't now do we?
“The Swansea Way” is a myth on 13:27 - May 21 with 4012 viewsSWAND

Playing like that has got us no where in the past and its now got us relegated from the prem so I disagree.

I do believe if we played more attacking free flowing football we wouldn't now be in the championship.
“The Swansea Way” is a myth on 13:30 - May 21 with 3997 viewsjack247

And all those memories you’ve got of us pumping long balls are lower division memories. The ‘Swansea way’ era ran broadly from not long after Martinez took over to not long after Laudrup left. Our most successful period in the last 30 years, if not ever.

We punched above our weight for quite a while in the PL because we had a different way of playing. If we play the same way as most other teams, it becomes a question of finance and clever recruitment. Once it boils down to that, you eventually find your natural level
“The Swansea Way” is a myth on 13:38 - May 21 with 3944 viewsBytholWyn

“The Swansea Way” is a myth on 13:30 - May 21 by jack247

And all those memories you’ve got of us pumping long balls are lower division memories. The ‘Swansea way’ era ran broadly from not long after Martinez took over to not long after Laudrup left. Our most successful period in the last 30 years, if not ever.

We punched above our weight for quite a while in the PL because we had a different way of playing. If we play the same way as most other teams, it becomes a question of finance and clever recruitment. Once it boils down to that, you eventually find your natural level

Thanks for that piece of sanity. The cluelessness of some (many?) of my fellow Swansea fans is pretty staggering.
“The Swansea Way” is a myth on 13:43 - May 21 with 3902 viewsjack247

“The Swansea Way” is a myth on 13:24 - May 21 by omarjack

I agree..There is no such thing as the Swansea way or cringe-worthy "Swansealona"..

We've managed to string few passes for a couple of seasons yay us..before and after that it's always been nothing but a shower of sh!t..(Not that I mind sh!t football as long as we're winning)

After all..although many will deny that..

Winning=Entertainment :)

We used to win a lot more often when we played that style
“The Swansea Way” is a myth on 13:44 - May 21 with 3899 viewsA_Fans_Dad

“The Swansea Way” is a myth on 13:27 - May 21 by SWAND

Playing like that has got us no where in the past and its now got us relegated from the prem so I disagree.

I do believe if we played more attacking free flowing football we wouldn't now be in the championship.

Free Flowing football is useless unless you have one or two players that can actually put it in the back of the net, it really doesn't matter how it gets there where "winning" is concerned.
It is attractiveness that it makes the big difference to.
[Post edited 21 May 2018 13:47]
“The Swansea Way” is a myth on 13:48 - May 21 with 3851 viewsBobby_Fischer

“The Swansea Way” is a myth on 13:44 - May 21 by A_Fans_Dad

Free Flowing football is useless unless you have one or two players that can actually put it in the back of the net, it really doesn't matter how it gets there where "winning" is concerned.
It is attractiveness that it makes the big difference to.
[Post edited 21 May 2018 13:47]

I think you'll find playing any type of football is " useless unless you have one or two players that can actually put it in the back of the net"

Poll: Who should take over from Jenkins?

Login to get fewer ads

“The Swansea Way” is a myth on 13:49 - May 21 with 3856 viewsLoyal

How is it a myth if we played it for 3 years ?

Nolan sympathiser, clout expert, personal friend of Leigh Dineen, advocate and enforcer of porridge swallows. The official inventor of the tit w@nk.
Poll: Who should be Swansea number 1

“The Swansea Way” is a myth on 13:51 - May 21 with 3839 viewsA_Fans_Dad

“The Swansea Way” is a myth on 13:48 - May 21 by Bobby_Fischer

I think you'll find playing any type of football is " useless unless you have one or two players that can actually put it in the back of the net"

Totally agree.
“The Swansea Way” is a myth on 14:29 - May 21 with 3744 viewsSmellyplumz

Car crash of a thread! Phuck me eyes

""Although I cannot promise or predict the future, I can guarantee one thing - the current board of directors will always fight, as we have done over the last 12 years, to work together as one with the Supporters Trust to make 100% sure that Swansea City football club remains the number one priority in all our thoughts and in every decision we make."
Poll: Huw Jenkins

“The Swansea Way” is a myth on 14:41 - May 21 with 3679 viewsthornabyswan

“The Swansea Way” is a myth on 13:49 - May 21 by Loyal

It's not a myth it's how we got promoted from League 1 and the Championship.
Limited budget but we were different to most sides.
It also served us well for the first 3 or 4 seasons in the PL.
No coincidence we started our downward spiral as the style changed.

Poll: Would you like Cooper to stay or go (regardless of compensation situation)

“The Swansea Way” is a myth on 14:41 - May 21 with 3675 viewsgiantstoneater

Playing long high balls up to trundle sorry can't picture it, for a team in the lower divisions we played a reasonable style of football, Trundle would have been ineffective if we'd have just lumped long balls up to him. Jacket liked to get the ball forward quickly but we still played some tidy stuff or Martinez wouldn't have been effective for us having the ball bypass him time and time again. Total football perhaps it was not but neither it was unrelenting long ball barrages.Not sure where "The Swansea way" saying came from or "Swansealona" for that matter but we have mostly been a passion g side.
“The Swansea Way” is a myth on 14:50 - May 21 with 3644 viewsbuilthjack

5-6 years

Swansea Indepenent Poster Of The Year 2021. Dr P / Mart66 / Roathie / Parlay / E20/ Duffle was 2nd, but he is deluded and thinks in his little twisted brain that he won. Poor sod. We let him win this year, as he has cried for a whole year. His 14 usernames, bless his cotton socks.

“The Swansea Way” is a myth on 15:59 - May 21 with 3477 viewsBrad_Bobbly

“The Swansea Way” is a myth on 13:38 - May 21 by BytholWyn

Thanks for that piece of sanity. The cluelessness of some (many?) of my fellow Swansea fans is pretty staggering.

You’re clueless.

Football has evolved. Tiki taka/Swanselona style posession passing sideways and backwards for 90 minutes wouldn’t have worked last season.

We haven’t evolved, and tiki taka wouldn’t solve our deep rooted issues.
“The Swansea Way” is a myth on 16:05 - May 21 with 3451 viewsjack247

“The Swansea Way” is a myth on 15:59 - May 21 by Brad_Bobbly

You’re clueless.

Football has evolved. Tiki taka/Swanselona style posession passing sideways and backwards for 90 minutes wouldn’t have worked last season.

Yeah because last season was such a roaring success. With all that attacking football we played
“The Swansea Way” is a myth on 16:21 - May 21 with 3406 viewsHeadmaster

Here is the Swansea Way in all its glory...

“The Swansea Way” is a myth on 16:21 - May 21 with 3398 viewsCaptain_Sham

Its just a ride.

“The Swansea Way” is a myth on 16:29 - May 21 with 3366 viewsAustinIsOurHero

You’re clueless.

You're right we haven't evolved... We've devolved at an alarming rate.

Poll: How many points will be get from the next two games?

“The Swansea Way” is a myth on 16:32 - May 21 with 3355 viewsTom1912

3 season is a lie. It got us promoted from League One (1 season), we played it for our time in the Championship until it got us promoted (3 seasons) and we played it under Rodgers and Laudrup in the PL (2 seasons). So 6 seasons, from 2007 to 2013, and then it started coming undone, albeit with a very good season under Monk in 2014-15.

I can't see how it's a myth when it took us from League One to a mid table PL club and a League Cup. We certainly haven't been playing that way for awhile though.
“The Swansea Way” is a myth on 16:39 - May 21 with 3338 viewsjack247

“The Swansea Way” is a myth on 16:32 - May 21 by Tom1912

3 season is a lie. It got us promoted from League One (1 season), we played it for our time in the Championship until it got us promoted (3 seasons) and we played it under Rodgers and Laudrup in the PL (2 seasons). So 6 seasons, from 2007 to 2013, and then it started coming undone, albeit with a very good season under Monk in 2014-15.

I can't see how it's a myth when it took us from League One to a mid table PL club and a League Cup. We certainly haven't been playing that way for awhile though.

What some seem to be struggling with, is yes it was 6 ad a bit seasons, but they were the best 6 and a bit seasons a lot of us can remember, both in terms of aesthetics and results.

We’d quite likely not found our way out of league one without it.
“The Swansea Way” is a myth on 17:16 - May 21 with 3235 viewsDr_Winston

“The Swansea Way” is a myth on 14:41 - May 21 by giantstoneater

Playing long high balls up to trundle sorry can't picture it, for a team in the lower divisions we played a reasonable style of football, Trundle would have been ineffective if we'd have just lumped long balls up to him. Jacket liked to get the ball forward quickly but we still played some tidy stuff or Martinez wouldn't have been effective for us having the ball bypass him time and time again. Total football perhaps it was not but neither it was unrelenting long ball barrages.Not sure where "The Swansea way" saying came from or "Swansealona" for that matter but we have mostly been a passion g side.

Don't go claiming we weren't a Welsh version of Wimbledon under KJ. They don't like that in these parts.

Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair, or f*cking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.

“The Swansea Way” is a myth on 17:36 - May 21 with 3196 viewsBobbyBacala

You’re clueless.

What has football evolved into? The best teams in England can tear teams apart on the counter, but City, Spurs and Liverpool are all still able to pass teams to death (and maybe if Liverpool were a bit better at it they wouldn't concede so many in the last 10 minutes of games).

People forgot that possession is as much defensive as it is attacking - having given up on tiki taka, our tactics are now just 10 men behind the ball and hoof it long. We need something a bit more than that and I certainly don't want to get promotrd playing like that as we'll just get relegated again the year after.

Whoever our new manager is, I hope he's given time to implement a decent style of possession based football and isn't sacked if we're midtable in January 2019. Much more important to find an identity and return to the Premier League stronger, even if it takes a season (and even better if we can go straight back up playing football that won't see us relegated first season back).
“The Swansea Way” is a myth on 17:40 - May 21 with 3180 viewsPrivate_Partz

“The Swansea Way” is a myth on 14:41 - May 21 by thornabyswan

It's not a myth it's how we got promoted from League 1 and the Championship.
Limited budget but we were different to most sides.
It also served us well for the first 3 or 4 seasons in the PL.
No coincidence we started our downward spiral as the style changed.

Spot on. We used to hoof the ball to Trundle? Really? That well known demon of the ariel assault?
Did we Hell, we played it to feet so he could turn defenders to get a shot on goal.
Martinez developed it further followed by Brenda, Sousa and ML.
Tikka Tacka, The Swansea Way, Swansalona were very real.
Teams could not hurt us as they could not get the ball. The speeded up sequences on MOTD laid testament to that. Only us and Aresenal played this style and we often played it better than them. Other clubs copied us. It was criminal the way we abandoned our style by incompetence and greed.
We don't half sell ourselves short.
It is still possible to move forward with this style. We need a like minded manager and a new recruitment team and the world could still be our lobster.
Whether there is the will or the wit within the club to achieve that is another matter......

You have mission in life to hold out your hand, To help the other guy out, Help your fellow man. Stan Ridgway

“The Swansea Way” is a myth on 17:58 - May 21 with 3119 viewsRancid

We didn't give ourselves that name.It was put on us by the media and we rolled with it.It was no myth, we played a certain way and it was different from anybody else and extremely effective.It was copied by several clubs who thought the ' The Swansea Way' was the way forward for them too.

Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery.It was our identification and it felt good and there's nothing wrong in us wanting to go back to it considering we played that way for 6 seasons and it was no flash in the pan.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024