Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Irish abortion referendum 11:57 - May 24 with 11763 viewsLohengrin

Been busy of late so haven’t been on here, checking in today I was a bit surprised to see there was no thread in advance of the ballot.

How do you think it will go tomorrow, will the Eighth Amendment of the Irish constitution be upheld? Any personal opinion?

An idea isn't responsible for those who believe in it.

Irish abortion referendum on 10:18 - May 25 with 1295 viewspikeypaul

Irish abortion referendum on 13:11 - May 24 by dickythorpe

There should be more abortions out there or better still castrations!

Correct

It would save us a fortune.

OUT AFLI SUCK IT UP REMOANER LOSERS 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧
Poll: Where wil Judas be sitting when we play Millwall?

Irish abortion referendum on 10:31 - May 25 with 1291 viewsCountyJim

Irish abortion referendum on 20:41 - May 24 by Banosswan

And those born at 23 weeks end up with massive disabilities and developmental problems.

Not all of them

Let's not paint over this when you terminate at a late stage say 23 weeks you are killing a baby
Irish abortion referendum on 10:34 - May 25 with 1284 viewsLord_Bony

It should be the right of every woman to decide.

Without condemnation.

PROUD RECIPIENT OF THE THIRD PLANET SWANS LIFETIME ACHIEVEMENT AWARD. "Per ardua ad astra"
Poll: iS tHERE lIFE aFTER dEATH

Irish abortion referendum on 10:59 - May 25 with 1254 viewsDarran

Irish abortion referendum on 10:31 - May 25 by CountyJim

Not all of them

Let's not paint over this when you terminate at a late stage say 23 weeks you are killing a baby

Look out Bonos had an Irish coffee.

The first ever recipient of a Planet Swans Lifetime Achievement Award.
Poll: Who’s got the most experts

Irish abortion referendum on 11:00 - May 25 with 1254 viewsirishswan546

Irish abortion referendum on 10:13 - May 25 by moonie

It's a fair point Roger but too many kids come to to the world for all the wrong reasons with no thought given for the future care of this new human being.

We have a choice to procreate.

We should excercise that right responsibly .

And also with equal respect, Eire has been decades behind and is only now starting to accept the cruelty ,both mental and physical of kids ,unwanted kids to had terrible lives.

Do you live in the Republic of Ireland or is your views from what you see on Tv or in films because your views are wrong about present day Ireland. I lived in Wales about 10 years ago and the people are no different to Ireland. The majority of this current generation of Irish people want change and at every opportunity we have done so in a positive manner. The church might have had a say in our country 20-30 years ago but that day is long gone.
Irish abortion referendum on 11:02 - May 25 with 1248 viewsCountyJim

Irish abortion referendum on 10:59 - May 25 by Darran

Look out Bonos had an Irish coffee.

Don't touch Coffee Darran I'm a Tea man
Irish abortion referendum on 11:03 - May 25 with 1246 viewsDarran

Irish abortion referendum on 11:00 - May 25 by irishswan546

Do you live in the Republic of Ireland or is your views from what you see on Tv or in films because your views are wrong about present day Ireland. I lived in Wales about 10 years ago and the people are no different to Ireland. The majority of this current generation of Irish people want change and at every opportunity we have done so in a positive manner. The church might have had a say in our country 20-30 years ago but that day is long gone.

Mate you’re wasting your time replying to the bloke,he’s not all there so don’t bother.

Irish abortion referendum on 11:09 - May 25 with 1237 viewsirishswan546

Irish abortion referendum on 11:03 - May 25 by Darran

Mate you’re wasting your time replying to the bloke,he’s not all there so don’t bother.

Cheers Darren starting to think that alright. Just seen his other comment bout priests being Kings and nuns doing what they want to kids being born out of wedlock, i.m 33 years old and live in country side and not once have I seen that or heard of it happening in my lifetime. That used to happen pre 1980 still wrong and disgraceful but every county has it's history it wants to forget and move on from.
Login to get fewer ads

Irish abortion referendum on 11:37 - May 25 with 1217 viewsDarran

Irish abortion referendum on 11:09 - May 25 by irishswan546

Cheers Darren starting to think that alright. Just seen his other comment bout priests being Kings and nuns doing what they want to kids being born out of wedlock, i.m 33 years old and live in country side and not once have I seen that or heard of it happening in my lifetime. That used to happen pre 1980 still wrong and disgraceful but every county has it's history it wants to forget and move on from.

He’s a very strange bloke that loves to live in the dark ages.

Irish abortion referendum on 11:53 - May 25 with 1197 viewslondonlisa2001

Irish abortion referendum on 13:05 - May 24 by Lohengrin

An article I was reading yesterday was stating that the latest scientific advances are revealing that foeti have a discernible heartbeat and are reactive to stimuli such as heat or sound as early as the five week mark, moreover the foeti are able to feel pain at that stage. That is to say foeti are sentient before a woman realises she has conceived in almost every instance.

Wow. An ability to feel pain many, many weeks before the development of the part of the brain that processes pain! That’s quite an achievement.
Irish abortion referendum on 11:55 - May 25 with 1195 viewstheloneranger

Irish abortion referendum on 11:09 - May 25 by irishswan546

The last Magdalene asylum/laundry... the "Convent of the Sisters of Our Lady of Charity" on Sean McDermott Street in Dublin didn't close until 1996.

The 1,000-page McAleese report, detailing the maltreatment of 10,000 Magdalene asylum inmates in Ireland between 1922 and 1996 — the Irish prime minister, Enda Kenny said...

“For 90 years Ireland subjected these women, and their experience, to a profound indifference,” he said. “By any standards it was a cruel and pitiless Ireland, distinctly lacking in mercy. We swapped our public scruples for a solid public apparatus.”

So it was happening in your lifetime!!
[Post edited 25 May 2018 12:28]

Everyday above ground ... Is a good day! 😎

Irish abortion referendum on 11:57 - May 25 with 1189 viewslondonlisa2001

Irish abortion referendum on 23:19 - May 24 by Lohengrin

Unto Us...

Somewhere at some time
They committed themselves to me
And so, I was!
Small, but I WAS!
Tiny, in shape
Lusting to live
I hung in my pulsing cave.
Soon they knew of me
My mother –my father.
I had no say in my being
I lived on trust
And love
Tho' I couldn't think
Each part of me was saying
A silent 'Wait for me
I will bring you love!'
I was taken
Blind, naked, defenceless
By the hand of one
Whose good name
Was graven on a brass plate
in Wimpole Street,
and dropped on the sterile floor
of a foot operated plastic waste
bucket.
There was no Queen’s Counsel
To take my brief.
The cot I might have warmed
Stood in Harrod's shop window.
When my passing was told
My father smiled.
No grief filled my empty space.
My death was celebrated
With tickets to see Danny la Rue
Who was pretending to be a woman
Like my mother was.

Spike Milligan

Spike Milligan would be pretty low down on my list of people that could speak with moral authority on any topic.
Irish abortion referendum on 11:58 - May 25 with 1187 viewsomarjack

What a clusterf*ck of a thread..filled with misogynists and wannabe scientists.

Why on earth can't people just learn to live and let live? I've been doing that for my whole life and it's been working great..It's very relaxing and healthy to not get involved and upset when people do things that don't involve me like abortions and being gay or religious or not etc,..trust me..

Poll: England vs Croatia (who's going to win)

Irish abortion referendum on 12:12 - May 25 with 1167 viewsLohengrin

Irish abortion referendum on 11:57 - May 25 by londonlisa2001

Spike Milligan would be pretty low down on my list of people that could speak with moral authority on any topic.

Old Spike was a father of six, I value his thoughts immeasurably more than I would those of a brute like Marie Stopes.

Irish abortion referendum on 12:22 - May 25 with 1160 viewsLohengrin

Irish abortion referendum on 11:58 - May 25 by omarjack

What a clusterf*ck of a thread..filled with misogynists and wannabe scientists.

Why on earth can't people just learn to live and let live? I've been doing that for my whole life and it's been working great..It's very relaxing and healthy to not get involved and upset when people do things that don't involve me like abortions and being gay or religious or not etc,..trust me..

”Why on earth can't people just learn to live and let live?”

This on a thread about abortion? Really? Levantine irony, I take it?

Irish abortion referendum on 12:22 - May 25 with 1160 viewslondonlisa2001

Irish abortion referendum on 12:12 - May 25 by Lohengrin

Old Spike was a father of six, I value his thoughts immeasurably more than I would those of a brute like Marie Stopes.

More fool you.
Irish abortion referendum on 12:32 - May 25 with 1145 viewsLohengrin

Irish abortion referendum on 12:22 - May 25 by londonlisa2001

More fool you.

What seems to be completely absent in the entire discourse around this referendum has been the rights of the father. I was having this argument with my eldest whose views I suspect align exactly with yours and who considers me, as I’m sure you do, a frightful reactionary on the issue.

I made the point that despite her being a very expensive pain in the arse I love her. I’ve always doted on her. If her mother had opted for a termination I would have been inconsolable. Her absence would have left a hole in my life nothing could have begun to fill. Fathers have rights too.

Irish abortion referendum on 12:35 - May 25 with 1142 viewsGlossolalia

The more religion mingles with the state, the narrower people's freedoms become. That the DUP are in bed with the Tories is enough to make me vomit. Creationism taught at schools? No abortions in any cases? Not after rape, nor after learning that the foetus could be terribly disabled or stillborn?
Religion should be seperate from politics and government. I dont see how people who believe in fairies in the sky should be given enhanced moral and ethical powers.
You really think abortion of a 5-week old foetus, after a gang rape, would incur the wrath of some diety? Don't be so laughably solipsistic. There's no such thing.
[Post edited 25 May 2018 12:38]
Irish abortion referendum on 12:41 - May 25 with 1132 viewsDr_Winston

Irish abortion referendum on 12:32 - May 25 by Lohengrin

What seems to be completely absent in the entire discourse around this referendum has been the rights of the father. I was having this argument with my eldest whose views I suspect align exactly with yours and who considers me, as I’m sure you do, a frightful reactionary on the issue.

I made the point that despite her being a very expensive pain in the arse I love her. I’ve always doted on her. If her mother had opted for a termination I would have been inconsolable. Her absence would have left a hole in my life nothing could have begun to fill. Fathers have rights too.

When the time comes that the father has to carry a baby to full term and then deliver it perhaps a father's rights will carry equal weight to a mother's on the subject. Until then they simply don't.

Whilst I'd probably agree that 23 weeks is late to allow abortions, I have absolutely no issues with early stage ones, no matter how emotive people get about how much a cluster of cells that might become a baby one day responds to stimuli.

Women should absolutely have the right to terminate a pregnancy they don't want. Better that than an unwanted child be born.

Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair, or f*cking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.

Irish abortion referendum on 12:43 - May 25 with 1125 viewsomarjack

The decision of performing an abortion should lie between the mother and the father of course,ideally.

But it's not the father who's going to deliver the baby and potentially risk his life through painful and woeful 9 months,then having to raise it etc..If the woman doesn't want the child she shouldn't be forced to have it,it's barbaric.

As for the government telling people what to do regarding the issue,f*ck off with this medieval embarrassing sh!t you narrow minded bible-thumping w@nks..that's a complete violation of personal freedom you only see in the worst 3rd world countries..pathetic really.

Edit:Dr Winston above me beat me to it.
[Post edited 25 May 2018 12:44]

Poll: England vs Croatia (who's going to win)

Irish abortion referendum on 13:09 - May 25 with 1095 viewslondonlisa2001

My view is that the people involved should be the ones that are able to make the decision. No one else, including the State and specifically the church (of any persuasion).

The two sides to the argument are not ‘you must have an abortion’ and ‘you must not have an abortion’.

The two sides to the argument are ‘you must be allowed to make the decision youselves’ and ‘you must not have an abortion’.

The father has no say at the moment as the state says that abortion is not allowed. If the law is changed, the father will have more say than he does at present. So will the mother. You aren’t saying you want the father to have rights as he doesn’t at present. You are saying that you don’t want either the mother or father to have rights unless they accord with your beliefs.

If there is a change in the law and the mother and father disagree on whether to continue with pregnancy, then it has to be the choice of the mother as it’s her body. In exactly the same way as if you needed a medical procedure to save your life and decided against it, your wife wouldn’t be able to overrule you.

The only reason this is an issue is that men don’t carry babies. If they did, there’d be abortion clinics on every high street.

There would be no need for abortion in an ideal world. No unwanted pregnancy, no rape, no incest, no medical issues for either mother or unborn child. But we don’t live in that world, and women who want or need an abortion have the right to do that safely in their own country, not travel or put themselves at risk of a back street botch job.

I think Ireland will vote ‘yes’. I certainly hope they do for the benefit of all women and men who believe they are best placed to make decisions about their own lives.
Irish abortion referendum on 13:21 - May 25 with 1081 viewsHighjack

Irish abortion referendum on 13:09 - May 25 by londonlisa2001

My view is that the people involved should be the ones that are able to make the decision. No one else, including the State and specifically the church (of any persuasion).

The two sides to the argument are not ‘you must have an abortion’ and ‘you must not have an abortion’.

The two sides to the argument are ‘you must be allowed to make the decision youselves’ and ‘you must not have an abortion’.

The father has no say at the moment as the state says that abortion is not allowed. If the law is changed, the father will have more say than he does at present. So will the mother. You aren’t saying you want the father to have rights as he doesn’t at present. You are saying that you don’t want either the mother or father to have rights unless they accord with your beliefs.

If there is a change in the law and the mother and father disagree on whether to continue with pregnancy, then it has to be the choice of the mother as it’s her body. In exactly the same way as if you needed a medical procedure to save your life and decided against it, your wife wouldn’t be able to overrule you.

The only reason this is an issue is that men don’t carry babies. If they did, there’d be abortion clinics on every high street.

There would be no need for abortion in an ideal world. No unwanted pregnancy, no rape, no incest, no medical issues for either mother or unborn child. But we don’t live in that world, and women who want or need an abortion have the right to do that safely in their own country, not travel or put themselves at risk of a back street botch job.

I think Ireland will vote ‘yes’. I certainly hope they do for the benefit of all women and men who believe they are best placed to make decisions about their own lives.

Most unwanted pregnancies will be prevented by the simple act of the gentleman wearing a condom, but God won’t even allow that in many countries.

People need to be brought up to be a bit more responsible.

The creatures outside looked from pig to man, and from man to pig, and from pig to man again; but already it was impossible to say which was which.
Poll: Should Dippy Drakeford do us all a massive favour and just bog off?

Irish abortion referendum on 14:00 - May 25 with 1056 viewsLeonWasGod

Irish abortion referendum on 13:21 - May 25 by Highjack

Most unwanted pregnancies will be prevented by the simple act of the gentleman wearing a condom, but God won’t even allow that in many countries.

People need to be brought up to be a bit more responsible.

That's rubbish. I always wear one during sex. I've got 72 kids.

Irish abortion referendum on 14:36 - May 25 with 1028 viewsLohengrin

”You are saying that you don’t want either the mother or father to have rights unless they accord with your beliefs.

No, what I’m saying is that life is precious. I wouldn’t put words in your mouth and say you disagreed with that sentiment as I don’t imagine for one second you would but society will have arrived at a pretty pass if that is now viewed as in any way contentious or radical.

I tell you exactly the difference between somebody like myself and somebody on the opposite side of the debate, Lisa. Where they would see it as an issue around the primacy of individual ‘rights’ I would see it in the light of duty and responsibility.

Irish abortion referendum on 14:39 - May 25 with 1022 viewsBanosswan

Irish abortion referendum on 10:31 - May 25 by CountyJim

Not all of them

Wanna bet.

Ever since my son was... never conceived, because I've never had consensual sex without money involved... I've always kind of looked at you as... a thing, that I could live next to... in accordance with state laws.
Poll: How do you like your steak?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024