Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Software 19:02 - May 25 with 1880 viewsGeoffThom

Software? That summed up modern football to me we look at players through software. Jesus what the hell happened to good old fashioned scouts and players that managers know about .people like cloughs old mate must be turning in their graves feckin he'll even him up the road knows what players he needed.im flabbergasted by it now we know why we're buying feckin donkeys
[Post edited 25 May 2018 19:06]
Software on 19:22 - May 25 with 1817 viewsWhiterockin

Last couple of years we have had one hell of a virus in the software, should have got it debugged by now.
Software on 19:26 - May 25 with 1803 viewsPrivate_Partz

Software on 19:22 - May 25 by Whiterockin

Last couple of years we have had one hell of a virus in the software, should have got it debugged by now.

Sounds a bloody good program though. Perhaps we could get a version for Planet Swans so we can all have a dab at it.
Would keep us all going for the whole close season. ;-)
[Post edited 25 May 2018 23:18]

You have mission in life to hold out your hand, To help the other guy out, Help your fellow man. Stan Ridgway

Software on 20:02 - May 25 with 1758 viewsGeoffThom

I wonder how many of us would have signed tabbanou on the strength of this stuff?
Software on 20:07 - May 25 with 1744 viewsWingstandwood

It's surreal comedy at SCFC! Bloody computer software and a failed roofing supplies businessman directing and being responsible for the multi-million Pound budget of (and wasting!) a Premier League clubs transfer kitty.

It's stuff that should belong in a surrealist comedy series like Brass Eye , Armstrong And Miller, Alan Partridge, Big Train etc, etc, etc.

Here's something slightly less surreal!

Argus!

Software on 20:12 - May 25 with 1731 viewsBanosswan

Software on 20:07 - May 25 by Wingstandwood

It's surreal comedy at SCFC! Bloody computer software and a failed roofing supplies businessman directing and being responsible for the multi-million Pound budget of (and wasting!) a Premier League clubs transfer kitty.

It's stuff that should belong in a surrealist comedy series like Brass Eye , Armstrong And Miller, Alan Partridge, Big Train etc, etc, etc.

I love this clip so much. The first series of big train was genius.

Ever since my son was... never conceived, because I've never had consensual sex without money involved... I've always kind of looked at you as... a thing, that I could live next to... in accordance with state laws.
Poll: How do you like your steak?

Software on 05:31 - May 26 with 1575 viewsphact0rri

he was refering to FIFA18.

Poll: Should EPL Refrees hold Post-Match Interviews

Software on 06:35 - May 26 with 1547 viewspeenemunde

Software on 20:07 - May 25 by Wingstandwood

Why do you mention HJ failed roofing business ?
I’d have imagined during the credit crunch and subsequent recession, many, many people in the building game went bankrupt.
Software on 09:33 - May 26 with 1472 viewsChief

Software on 06:35 - May 26 by peenemunde

Why do you mention HJ failed roofing business ?
I’d have imagined during the credit crunch and subsequent recession, many, many people in the building game went bankrupt.

And imagine only one is the chairman of a football club. I wonder why
[Post edited 26 May 2018 9:34]

Poll: Rate the ref's performance today

Login to get fewer ads

Software on 09:36 - May 26 with 1462 viewsChief

Its this moneyball thing that's all the rage. Basically playing championship manager but with real money!

Software on 09:39 - May 26 with 1458 viewsChief

I suggest we go back to old fashioned scouting and letting a manager bring in players they know asap. This agent led business we were into sounds dodgy and now this american fad.

Software on 09:43 - May 26 with 1452 viewsChief

Sorry to go on but we brought in an American guy Altman to do this. I presume hes on a decent wedge to go with Huws and Pearlmans. Then theres this new bloke coming in, then Dineens still got an official role, Brian Flynn's still around the place as something (but at least hes a football man) and then you have the likes of Leadbitter. What do these people do then? Apart from negotiate deals for former players

Software on 10:02 - May 26 with 1428 viewstheloneranger

Software on 09:43 - May 26 by Chief

Sorry to go on but we brought in an American guy Altman to do this. I presume hes on a decent wedge to go with Huws and Pearlmans. Then theres this new bloke coming in, then Dineens still got an official role, Brian Flynn's still around the place as something (but at least hes a football man) and then you have the likes of Leadbitter. What do these people do then? Apart from negotiate deals for former players

It was Brian Flynn who recommended Tammy to the Swans not Paul Clement.

Everyday above ground ... Is a good day! 😎

Software on 10:54 - May 26 with 1395 viewsBarrySwan

I always think about this when I see the coaching staff at Welsh rugby games studying their laptops all game.

Here's a little tip for the laughably titled coaches.

'If you need to study a computor to judge whether a players any good or not it's time to pack it in.'
Software on 11:46 - May 26 with 1364 viewsjasper_T

Software on 10:54 - May 26 by BarrySwan

I always think about this when I see the coaching staff at Welsh rugby games studying their laptops all game.

Here's a little tip for the laughably titled coaches.

'If you need to study a computor to judge whether a players any good or not it's time to pack it in.'

Doesn't everyone do that in top level rugby? If they're all doing it maybe there's something to it?
Software on 12:44 - May 26 with 1331 viewsJonathans_coat

Software on 11:46 - May 26 by jasper_T

Doesn't everyone do that in top level rugby? If they're all doing it maybe there's something to it?

I think the trouble here is stats work very well in American sports. Generally they are not as complex to analyse. Easy to tell how good a pitcher/batter is at baseball, just looks at thier stats. American footballers on have to attack or defend, as they have different teams for each.

Football is more complex in terms of what is expected of each player. How would you measure how well a player “reads the game”? Players have to attack/defend, and instantly switch between the 2. Different players play better in different teams who play different systems and tactics. Just look at Leon at Sheffield Utd! He looked hopeless there, but for us he was crucial.
Software on 12:55 - May 26 with 1317 viewsjasper_T

Software on 12:44 - May 26 by Jonathans_coat

I think the trouble here is stats work very well in American sports. Generally they are not as complex to analyse. Easy to tell how good a pitcher/batter is at baseball, just looks at thier stats. American footballers on have to attack or defend, as they have different teams for each.

Football is more complex in terms of what is expected of each player. How would you measure how well a player “reads the game”? Players have to attack/defend, and instantly switch between the 2. Different players play better in different teams who play different systems and tactics. Just look at Leon at Sheffield Utd! He looked hopeless there, but for us he was crucial.

Okay but how does rugby compare? If all the top teams are using their laptops that suggests there's value there for them in their sport too.

Man on the ground scouting can be good and it can be bad (look at what we've signed from Falkirk on a scout's recommendations), data and statistics can similarly be used well and used poorly.

Software/databases can be really useful for small setups to broaden their scouting horizons, making them aware of players in different leagues that it would be insane to hire a man to scout full time. Relying on that software for all decision-making is obviously barmy. The Football Manager database is used by a whole bunch of clubs (Everton licensed it a few years back iirc) and I worked on that thing for two years so it can't be much good, can it.
Software on 13:03 - May 26 with 1308 viewsBarrySwan

Software on 11:46 - May 26 by jasper_T

Yup you're probably right.

The lot of them responsible for serving up the mind numbingly boring tacklefest dross commonly refered to as rugby should pack it in and take their laptops with them.

Saying that as someone who played rugby for 37 seasons ( at local level only ) when at least the sport was at least marginally interesting to watch for both the casual and more determined observer.
Software on 16:03 - May 26 with 1239 viewsJonathans_coat

Software on 12:55 - May 26 by jasper_T

Okay but how does rugby compare? If all the top teams are using their laptops that suggests there's value there for them in their sport too.

Man on the ground scouting can be good and it can be bad (look at what we've signed from Falkirk on a scout's recommendations), data and statistics can similarly be used well and used poorly.

Software/databases can be really useful for small setups to broaden their scouting horizons, making them aware of players in different leagues that it would be insane to hire a man to scout full time. Relying on that software for all decision-making is obviously barmy. The Football Manager database is used by a whole bunch of clubs (Everton licensed it a few years back iirc) and I worked on that thing for two years so it can't be much good, can it.

Rugby is slowly turning into American football tbh. All the nuances and unpredictability is draining out of the game. More and more it’s a game of big men running in strait lines. Winning teams are always ones with more territory and possession, and give away less penalties.

Football is a lot more complicated, and there are so many different ways to approach a game tactically.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024