Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
The Met Office 20:51 - May 27 with 2198 viewsGaryjack

Do they employ nursery school kids or what? I wanted to post some pics on here today of the thunder and lightening festival with heavy rainstorms that were forecast all day, but the sun was to bright to get any decent shots!
Ffs, these people are supposed to be professionals! Don't get me wrong, great for me as i spent a day in the sun that i didn't expect, but it's a bank holiday weekend, half term and families plan according to the weather. Thank fvck i don't take any notice of them as even as i was filling the pool they were issuing yellow weather warnings for South Wales on the radio!
The Met Office on 20:54 - May 27 with 2184 viewsjack2jack

Every cloud eh!👍
The Met Office on 21:08 - May 27 with 2140 viewsMrSwerve

I don't know if it's just me but weather forecasting, especially the online stuff seems to have got worse over the past 5 years or so.

The 7 day forecasts are utterly pointless. On Wednesday, the forecast for Saturday was dry all day with sunny spells. Pissed down all day. Obviously hard to forecast a week ahead, but if that's the case, why bother putting these 7 day forecasts up at all?

The best ones are the long term forecasts I.e. 30 days ahead. They go something like...the month of June will be warmer, with the odd scattered shower. And later in the year...November will see a decrease in temperature with the chance of heavy rain.

I know someone who works for the met office and they say that anything beyond a day's forecast is useless.
[Post edited 27 May 2018 21:09]

Poll: Decision day - who wins the PL title?

The Met Office on 21:15 - May 27 with 2123 viewsScotia

It depends on the forecast you use. I'm a bit of a weather geek, but the bbc don't use the met office anymore because they are too expensive.
They use meteogroup who supply loads of other online forecasts.
Metoffice have had it spot on this weekend, and usually do. Meteogroup have been way off.
The Met Office on 21:19 - May 27 with 2111 viewsSwanzay

I had a tour of their offices a few years back, due to installing new equipment there, it was a plethora of old gents walking round in tweed jackets with elbow patches, like something out of the 1970s, dated offices to say the least, obviously highly intelligent but no social skills what so ever.
They had big cabinet draws with printed maps of weather prediction historically, it was like a museum!
The Met Office on 21:21 - May 27 with 2094 viewsdickythorpe

Delighted they were.wrong today!!! Have had alovely few hours outside
The Met Office on 21:28 - May 27 with 2066 viewsFlashberryjack

Sticks hand out of window....Oh! it's raining.

Hello
Poll: Should the Senedd be Abolished

The Met Office on 21:29 - May 27 with 2063 viewsGaryjack

The Met Office on 21:15 - May 27 by Scotia

It depends on the forecast you use. I'm a bit of a weather geek, but the bbc don't use the met office anymore because they are too expensive.
They use meteogroup who supply loads of other online forecasts.
Metoffice have had it spot on this weekend, and usually do. Meteogroup have been way off.

The Met office stated on Friday that we in for some right shit today, and rain on Monday and Tuesday, They may have called it spot on today, but left it until today to call it.
The Met Office on 21:29 - May 27 with 2058 viewsdickythorpe

The Met Office on 21:28 - May 27 by Flashberryjack

Sticks hand out of window....Oh! it's raining.

Where art you?
Login to get fewer ads

The Met Office on 21:31 - May 27 with 2051 viewsFlashberryjack

The Met Office on 21:29 - May 27 by dickythorpe

Where art you?

Thou

Hello
Poll: Should the Senedd be Abolished

The Met Office on 21:31 - May 27 with 2050 viewsjack2jack

The Met Office on 21:19 - May 27 by Swanzay

I had a tour of their offices a few years back, due to installing new equipment there, it was a plethora of old gents walking round in tweed jackets with elbow patches, like something out of the 1970s, dated offices to say the least, obviously highly intelligent but no social skills what so ever.
They had big cabinet draws with printed maps of weather prediction historically, it was like a museum!

There's some old computers in The Liberty, apparently used for scouting players, no hang they must be fecked, forget that idea.
The Met Office on 21:32 - May 27 with 2045 viewsdickythorpe

The Met Office on 21:31 - May 27 by Flashberryjack

Thou

Sa1?
The Met Office on 21:34 - May 27 with 2032 viewsWxmJax

It wasn't the met office though, they had Swansea down for sunny today all along. The BBC said that it was going to be thunder and lightning today but they don't use the met office forecast as such, they now use metro group and apart from having shut graphics that no one can understand ( is that the mountains or clouds ?) the forecasting has gone downhill alarmingly with it saying sunny tomorrow only to wake up to torrential rain.

Poll: England, General Election: How are you going to vote ?

The Met Office on 21:51 - May 27 with 1980 viewsWxmJax

The Met Office on 21:29 - May 27 by Garyjack

The Met office stated on Friday that we in for some right shit today, and rain on Monday and Tuesday, They may have called it spot on today, but left it until today to call it.

This one was nothing to do with the Met Office

But this one did

Nowadays it appears to be the norm to just put information in to a computer and whatever comes out has to be right.....er not really.
[Post edited 27 May 2018 22:01]

Poll: England, General Election: How are you going to vote ?

The Met Office on 21:54 - May 27 with 1968 viewsScotia

The Met Office on 21:29 - May 27 by Garyjack

They had it spot on. As they did with the beast from the east when all Swansea schools were closed for no reason. There is a weather warning but that's ass covering.
We did have some right shit this morning, but if you look at the hourly break down rather than a general day forecast its been bang on.
Bbc yesterday morning had rain pretty much all day yesterday and today.
A lot of complex weather around at the moment, something like 50,000 lightning strikes in the Midlands only 70 miles away but nothing here. Very difficult to get it right until very close in that situation, but the met office were most accurate.
The Met Office on 23:54 - May 27 with 1882 viewsDJack

What I've noticed was that prior to meteogroup forecasts the up to 3 days was bang on (metofffice). Since meteogroup took over the temp is usually out by 1-2 degrees and the forecast often varies wildly as the day progresses.

BRING BACK METOFFICE FORECASTS!

It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring. - Carl Sagan

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024