Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Graham Potter interview 18:48 - May 29 with 4641 viewsBlue_Blood

Cardiff fan here. Congratulations on a superb season!

Only kidding, I've just signed up to talk a bit of football.

I'm intrigued by your next appointment which looks like it could well be Graham Potter. (Obviously)

Anyway having been excited and severely let down by Solskjaer a few years back I can see a few obvious parallels between the two appointments.

However I do think Potter could be a brilliant appointment for you lot.
When Ole came to us, we were basically a set piece team under Malky who defended with heart but had very little in terms of technical ability.

I know you are far from the team you were a few years back but I believe there is enough of a footballing philosophy remaining at your place which may afford Potter the patience Potter needs (from the stands) to allow Potter time to make a success of it.

I thought Bradley, Clement and to a lesser extent Carvalhal were disastrous selections by your board and Clement always spoke like someone who was unsure about himself.

I've watched a few interviews with Potter and he certainly doesn't strike me as someone who is blagging it. He certainly has a clear vision of what he wants to do and how he's going to acheive it.

I thought this was a decent interview. The interviewer didn't just let Potter throw empty coach speak but made him expand on what he said and Potter looked really comfortable and came across really well.

I think he'll be good for your football club if given time. And the most important quality he has in my opinion is that he actually improves players who play for him which is quite rare these days.

Graham Potter interview on 19:34 - May 29 with 4517 viewslifelong

I don’t mind decent Cardiff City fans coming on here wanting to talk football, I just wonder where have you been for the last 7 seasons?
Graham Potter interview on 21:16 - May 29 with 4317 viewsYossarian

Feck me, a decent Scummer. Welcome friend.

"Yossarian- the very sight of the name made him shudder.There were so many esses in it. It just had to be subversive" (Catch 22)

Graham Potter interview on 03:01 - May 30 with 4061 viewsphact0rri

I think Potter is an interesting prospect knowing virtually nothing about him, but what I've seen written up and some youtube videos. imagine pulling out reels of the swedish fourth tier to see how he lines up his team feels a little easier said than done. but the kind words everyone has, gives me a bit of hope

Poll: Should EPL Refrees hold Post-Match Interviews

Graham Potter interview on 11:13 - May 30 with 3907 viewsEU5Makaveli

Good post. I put emphasis on “patience from the stands” as there has been very little of that over the last few seasons.

It’s a massive punt no doubt but so would any manager in the running have been. I’d take Potter over De Boer, Stam or Coleman (who I think would’ve been a real disaster).
Graham Potter interview on 12:46 - May 30 with 3815 viewsdameedna

Dont care where for 7 years welcome to the next level. I would not be surprised if Potter takes us to the next level.
Graham Potter interview on 14:04 - May 30 with 3716 viewsJacket

Lots of parallels with Solskjaer and I'd be lying if I said it didn't concern me slightly. There is one obvious difference, this would be in the Championship and that was in the Premier, before bombing like a ton of shite in the Championship, but by that point he had lost all credibility.

Where he went wrong was his belief that signing a sack full of meh players was better than making a handful of decent signings. He signed that much dross that he had no clue who his best team was. Therefore, what would worry me would be if Potter flooded the place with cheap Scandinavian imports. One or two gems I'd be happy for him to chance his arm at, but you've got to be realistic that the Swedish league, like the Norwegian is more on par with League One than it is with the Championship.
Graham Potter interview on 14:57 - May 30 with 3678 viewsBlue_Blood

Ole was also involved with an agent who gave him his 3 Norwegian signings which looked a bit iffy in hindsight.

Ole aldo had an unhealthy obsession with Man United and the Man United way etc!

His biggest problem in my opinion was that he didn't address the lack of pace in the team and he also sold his biggest leader in Hudson.

The good thing about Potter from your perspective is that he doesn't come with the Man United "baggage".

He seems to have a clear identity but he also has the ability to be flexible.

I genuinely impressed when I listen to him speak and a football dressing room is like any other walk of life in that a blagger will be outed within the first few weeks.

I don't think he will worry about budget constraints having listened to the interview I posted.

He was unable to attract players from the South of Sweden even in his first few years so he made use of other markets and developed from within.

I think this development from within will be crucial for you next season. After Ole left we were so heavy in debt and had thrown so much money at garbage on long bloated contracts that we had to endure two years of Slade and after that it was only the fact that Warnock is an absolute genius at Championship level that got us challenging this season.
Graham Potter interview on 15:22 - May 30 with 3637 viewsAlfieMooresSon

Graham Potter interview on 14:04 - May 30 by Jacket

Lots of parallels with Solskjaer and I'd be lying if I said it didn't concern me slightly. There is one obvious difference, this would be in the Championship and that was in the Premier, before bombing like a ton of shite in the Championship, but by that point he had lost all credibility.

Where he went wrong was his belief that signing a sack full of meh players was better than making a handful of decent signings. He signed that much dross that he had no clue who his best team was. Therefore, what would worry me would be if Potter flooded the place with cheap Scandinavian imports. One or two gems I'd be happy for him to chance his arm at, but you've got to be realistic that the Swedish league, like the Norwegian is more on par with League One than it is with the Championship.

I agree, this is a massive season and with so many players in and so many players out, you need someone with experience in the Championship, and Premiership also would be even better. I think experience is more important than the style of play at this moment in time. How is he going to know what type of players you need for the Championship?

We need someone like Rowett or Pullis to go through this big transition, if we make a mess of this it could have repercussions for many years.

I hope I am wrong but Potter would worry me and I consider this a huge gamble, fingers crossed it works.
Login to get fewer ads

Graham Potter interview on 21:00 - May 30 with 3501 viewsBlue_Blood

Graham Potter interview on 15:22 - May 30 by AlfieMooresSon

I agree, this is a massive season and with so many players in and so many players out, you need someone with experience in the Championship, and Premiership also would be even better. I think experience is more important than the style of play at this moment in time. How is he going to know what type of players you need for the Championship?

We need someone like Rowett or Pullis to go through this big transition, if we make a mess of this it could have repercussions for many years.

I hope I am wrong but Potter would worry me and I consider this a huge gamble, fingers crossed it works.

I completely disagree with you. Jokanović and Nunes never had much championship experience yet they finished 1st and 3rd this season.

We were in a very different position to you when we appointed Warnock. If you had witnessed some of the football under Slade then you'd realise that it would have been impossible to appoint a manager who was gonna play free flowing football. We were saddled with debt and with a huge hangover from the rebrand.

I know you've had issues in recent years but it's nowhere near the point where you can't re-establish your footballing identity. You still have players who can be decent at Championship level and with a few additions and a manger with a bit of bollocks I see no reason why you can't have a good season next year.

What you don't want to do is throw huge money at it in desperation. Potter will improve players at the club and I think he's proved he can work shrewdly under constraints
Graham Potter interview on 11:50 - Jun 3 with 3242 viewssainthelens

Graham Potter interview on 14:57 - May 30 by Blue_Blood

Ole was also involved with an agent who gave him his 3 Norwegian signings which looked a bit iffy in hindsight.

Ole aldo had an unhealthy obsession with Man United and the Man United way etc!

His biggest problem in my opinion was that he didn't address the lack of pace in the team and he also sold his biggest leader in Hudson.

The good thing about Potter from your perspective is that he doesn't come with the Man United "baggage".

He seems to have a clear identity but he also has the ability to be flexible.

I genuinely impressed when I listen to him speak and a football dressing room is like any other walk of life in that a blagger will be outed within the first few weeks.

I don't think he will worry about budget constraints having listened to the interview I posted.

He was unable to attract players from the South of Sweden even in his first few years so he made use of other markets and developed from within.

I think this development from within will be crucial for you next season. After Ole left we were so heavy in debt and had thrown so much money at garbage on long bloated contracts that we had to endure two years of Slade and after that it was only the fact that Warnock is an absolute genius at Championship level that got us challenging this season.

You wanna find mates after 7 years eh ? Just fck off yeah. The day I talk to a scummer bout what's right for our club is the the day I'll lance my haemorioids with a scalpel.
Graham Potter interview on 17:35 - Jun 3 with 3099 viewsBlue_Blood

Well done lad! Haha
Graham Potter interview on 17:55 - Jun 3 with 3059 viewsbluey_the_blue

Graham Potter interview on 19:34 - May 29 by lifelong

I don’t mind decent Cardiff City fans coming on here wanting to talk football, I just wonder where have you been for the last 7 seasons?

*cough*

Ole failed despite vast experience of British football, under arguably the greatest British manager ever and coaching Man Yoo's yoof side. He failed because he tried to do here exactly what he did with Molde.

Larger squad, mass squad rotation aiming to keep players fresh for end of season.

Two things worry me about Potter, lack of coaching experience in UK notwithstanding.

Firstly, duh, the Championship isn't a Scandinavian league. What works in Sweden may well not work for you guys. It's easy to get blinded by possession football and all that, but I point you to Henrik Larsson's comment, that Potter "played all different kinds of systems, starting off a match one way, and then halfway through they started playing a different system, and then they ended up with a third system. And all the players knew exactly what they were doing."

If you remove the final statement, that sounds eerily identical to Ole's management style.

Secondly, I believe he got the job in Sweden through Graham Jones recommending him? I'm hoping there would be no lazy link to Swansea that would get him the job with you, ie rather than looking to see what's out there, oh hey, here's someone with success in a lesser league with links to Swansea indirectly. Let's get him...
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024