Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
U23’s Hype 09:34 - Jun 2 with 5424 viewsBillyChong

What evidence is there to back up the claims of these u23’s superstars doing a job for the first team next season? Bar McBurnie who to some extent has proved he’s got something at Championship level who else has? Looking at the others that have made senior appearances:

Tyler Reid - couldn’t get in the Newport starting line up, played 7 games for them
Kenji Gorré - age 23, played less than 20 senior professional games
Botti Biabi - made a couple of appearances on loan at Hamilton
Dan James - looked alright in the brief cameo against Notts County in a comfortble game, don’t think he did much at Shrewsbury though
George Byers - age 21, one appearance for Watford
Adnan Maric - age 21, one appearance for the Swans
Zabret - age 22, 14 appearances for Domžale in Slovenia
Ryan Blair - age 22, 14 games for Falkirk
Adam King - age 22, couple of games at Hearts, Southend and Mansfield and 20 odd for Crewe 3 seasons ago
Joe Rodon - 12 games for Cheltenham last season

U23’s Hype on 09:38 - Jun 2 with 3897 viewsthornabyswan

If we rely on them it will be like the eighties all over again.
No justification for the hype.

Poll: Would you like Cooper to stay or go (regardless of compensation situation)

U23’s Hype on 09:43 - Jun 2 with 3872 viewswaynekerr55

It may be that people are thinking that the u23s winning games against their peers equates to them being able to play in the Championship.

How many of you know what DP stands for?
Poll: POTY 2019
Blog: Too many things for a title, but stop with the xenophobia accusations!

U23’s Hype on 09:51 - Jun 2 with 3844 viewsjack247

U23’s Hype on 09:43 - Jun 2 by waynekerr55

It may be that people are thinking that the u23s winning games against their peers equates to them being able to play in the Championship.

Yes it is. It’s absolutely that.

However if one or two like McBurnie or Roberts can make the breakthrough every now and again and either force their way into the team or make us a few quid in transfers, it justifies itself.

We aren’t going to have a team half full of last seasons U23s though, it wouldn’t work.
U23’s Hype on 10:56 - Jun 2 with 3759 viewscostalotta

U23’s Hype on 09:51 - Jun 2 by jack247

However if one or two like McBurnie or Roberts can make the breakthrough every now and again and either force their way into the team or make us a few quid in transfers, it justifies itself.

We aren’t going to have a team half full of last seasons U23s though, it wouldn’t work.

You’d certainly hope so.

If they were good enough for regular league football they’d have been getting it by now. The majority of them that is. There is some talent in there and perhaps 4 or 5 May go on and have decent careers. But come on, is kenji or botti going to make it with us if they haven’t by now?

Rodon, maric, James and Roberts may go on to progress within our first team squad next year but can’t see much game time for them if we have serious ambitions.
U23’s Hype on 15:54 - Jun 2 with 3510 viewsKilkennyjack

U23’s Hype on 09:51 - Jun 2 by jack247

No it doesn’t.

The cost of establishing and running the Academy far exceeds any value that Oli and Connor might have.

It has cost a fortune.
They have signed many players from elsewhere that have not been good enough.
These same players have blocked the local talent.

And when we needed players to help us stay up - there was nobody.

Beware of the Risen People

U23’s Hype on 16:12 - Jun 2 with 3481 viewsDippy

McBurnie has the edge.. but he's not what we need at this particular moment to lead the charge.

Byers looks a bit of a b*stard.. but it's pointless with coaches who can't unleash the bastard.

Roberts is a worm.. I'm sure Ryan Giggs can sort him out.. no better worm in the world.

All the others are relying on Skill..and from what I've seen and been told.. Dan James is the only one with the potential to put his skills to use for us.

The others are League One and down.

Nothing more than bench options.

Poll: Cooper Out

U23’s Hype on 17:43 - Jun 2 with 3380 viewsperplex

One or to may make the grade, everything else is just speculation from the many drama queens that are among us.
U23’s Hype on 18:32 - Jun 2 with 3316 viewsjack247

U23’s Hype on 15:54 - Jun 2 by Kilkennyjack

No it doesn’t.

The cost of establishing and running the Academy far exceeds any value that Oli and Connor might have.

It has cost a fortune.

Yes the cost of establishing it would have been high. The cost of maintaining it would easily be offset by one or two moderate success stories every now and then. Like it is not, it is an asset and one of the the things the sellouts deserve a bit of credit for.

Still, it’s totally unrealistic to expect many of them to make the jump from what are essentially training games to the Championship.
Login to get fewer ads

U23’s Hype on 18:36 - Jun 2 with 3301 viewsJackfath

Whilst making these points about the U23s last season, I got hammered by the few who took an interest in the games they played.

POSTER OF THE YEAR 2013. PROUD RECIPIENT OF THE SECOND PLANET SWANS LIFETIME ACHIEVEMENT AWARD.
Poll: Should Darran's ban be lifted?

U23’s Hype on 19:34 - Jun 2 with 3231 viewsKilkennyjack

U23’s Hype on 18:32 - Jun 2 by jack247

Yes the cost of establishing it would have been high. The cost of maintaining it would easily be offset by one or two moderate success stories every now and then. Like it is not, it is an asset and one of the the things the sellouts deserve a bit of credit for.

Still, it’s totally unrealistic to expect many of them to make the jump from what are essentially training games to the Championship.

I agree its an asset in a business sense.

Do you think that we invested to create an asset for a future sale, or we invested to produce young welsh players ?
If its the later then its a big fail.
Most people had assumed - and hoped - this to be the case.

You make a fair point.

U23’s Hype on 20:16 - Jun 2 with 3179 viewsjack247

U23’s Hype on 19:34 - Jun 2 by Kilkennyjack

I agree its an asset in a business sense.

Do you think that we invested to create an asset for a future sale, or we invested to produce young welsh players ?
If its the later then its a big fail.
Most people had assumed - and hoped - this to be the case.

You make a fair point.

The further we drop down the leagues, the more likely it will produce first team players. In that sense, once it’s built and established, it’s always an asset.

In terms of Premier League, we were always unlikely to produce another Davies or Allen. It was never going to be a conveyor belt of top level local youngsters. The fact they play attractive, successful football sometimes hoodwinks people a bit.

They invested a fair chunk into getting it up and running, with hindsight, it’s pretty fair to assume that was done with one eye on a future sale.
U23’s Hype on 20:21 - Jun 2 with 3166 viewsA_Fans_Dad

U23’s Hype on 15:54 - Jun 2 by Kilkennyjack

No it doesn’t.

It has cost a fortune.

So in our hours of need we didn't get any assistance from the U23s?
Well how about
Ollie
Fulton
Kingsley
Roberts
They all did just as good a job as the players they replaced, in fact they were probably more reliable than some of those.
The one thing that they do bring, which makes up for a lot of their other deficiencies is their enthusiasm.
U23’s Hype on 20:59 - Jun 2 with 3129 viewsBadlands

No academy is churning out Championship or Premier League quality players but there are a few who will make a good living from football and some who will play for us and or be signed by other teams.
I see the saving in the likes of Connor Roberts who, will Billy Reid behind him and listening to Potter (if they come) will see a lot of playing time for us as a wing back/ fullback and right midfield in a (defensive setup).
In order to provide back up to Olsson and possibly play midfield we paid £14 million+ for Clucas.
Without Roberts we might have had to fork out a similar fee on the right hand side as well.
So looking at like that, it has been helpful.
(Who repaid the club better; Roberts or Clucas?)
Next season I hope we'll be in a position to introduce a few under23s for their development rather than emergency cover.
Agree that Reid, Byers, Zabret and King won't feature.
But Gorré, Biabi, James, Maric, (possibly Rodon) should be training full time with the first team squad.
McBurnie need to be kept.
The one thing the under have going for them is they know how to pass and move. So if we are going to aim at restoring that style they have been brought up to play the way.

Poll: Should the summer transfer window close before the season starts?

U23’s Hype on 21:17 - Jun 2 with 3102 viewsA_Fans_Dad

U23’s Hype on 20:59 - Jun 2 by Badlands

No academy is churning out Championship or Premier League quality players but there are a few who will make a good living from football and some who will play for us and or be signed by other teams.
I see the saving in the likes of Connor Roberts who, will Billy Reid behind him and listening to Potter (if they come) will see a lot of playing time for us as a wing back/ fullback and right midfield in a (defensive setup).
In order to provide back up to Olsson and possibly play midfield we paid £14 million+ for Clucas.
Without Roberts we might have had to fork out a similar fee on the right hand side as well.
So looking at like that, it has been helpful.
(Who repaid the club better; Roberts or Clucas?)
Next season I hope we'll be in a position to introduce a few under23s for their development rather than emergency cover.
Agree that Reid, Byers, Zabret and King won't feature.
But Gorré, Biabi, James, Maric, (possibly Rodon) should be training full time with the first team squad.
McBurnie need to be kept.
The one thing the under have going for them is they know how to pass and move. So if we are going to aim at restoring that style they have been brought up to play the way.

Do not agree about Byers not making it.
He is the U23s dead ball specailist and better than Ki & Carroll.
U23’s Hype on 22:13 - Jun 2 with 3044 viewsKilkennyjack

U23’s Hype on 20:21 - Jun 2 by A_Fans_Dad

So in our hours of need we didn't get any assistance from the U23s?
Well how about
Ollie
Fulton
Kingsley
Roberts
They all did just as good a job as the players they replaced, in fact they were probably more reliable than some of those.
The one thing that they do bring, which makes up for a lot of their other deficiencies is their enthusiasm.

None of those made a meaningful contribution.
None has even been a first choice pick.

I am delighted about local boy Roberts, but the other 3 were developed by other clubs and we just body snatched them.

Last game in Premier League then not one academy player in the squad. A fact that tells you everything.

Missing in action by any measurez

U23’s Hype on 23:00 - Jun 2 with 2996 viewsBadlands

U23’s Hype on 21:17 - Jun 2 by A_Fans_Dad

Do not agree about Byers not making it.
He is the U23s dead ball specailist and better than Ki & Carroll.

Any one of us on here could deliver a better dead ball than Ki or Carroll!
Seriously I think he's improved as a finisher but loses the ball a lot. Keep in the eunder23 but no the first team squad at the moment.

U23’s Hype on 23:52 - Jun 2 with 2958 viewsomarjack

Roberts
Rodon
Fulton?
Maric
Dhanda??
Byers
King
Mcburnie

These guys will have a big role on the bench,(Mcburnie and Roberts will probably start many games as well)..Because most of these guys will probably be enough filling in the gaps. 2nd of all,we kind of have no choice here,We won't be able to replace an entire senior squad with a Championship limited budget.
[Post edited 2 Jun 2018 23:56]

Poll: England vs Croatia (who's going to win)

U23’s Hype on 06:41 - Jun 3 with 2855 viewsBillyChong

Fulton couldn’t get in the Wigan team and didn’t impress much the few times he did although to be fair I can’t recall him doing much wrong when he’s had a game here
U23’s Hype on 09:11 - Jun 3 with 2772 viewsA_Fans_Dad

U23’s Hype on 06:41 - Jun 3 by BillyChong

Fulton couldn’t get in the Wigan team and didn’t impress much the few times he did although to be fair I can’t recall him doing much wrong when he’s had a game here

I am not saying that any of them are likely to be sought after by top Prem sides, but they can all do a job with enthusiasm.
Which at the moment is going to be something the club will need, unless the Yanks realyl do a dramatic change of direction and actually get rid of Jenkins and invest in some really good Championship level players.
They didn't even do it to stay in the Prem though.
U23’s Hype on 13:13 - Jun 3 with 2627 viewsKilkennyjack

U23’s Hype on 09:11 - Jun 3 by A_Fans_Dad

I am not saying that any of them are likely to be sought after by top Prem sides, but they can all do a job with enthusiasm.
Which at the moment is going to be something the club will need, unless the Yanks realyl do a dramatic change of direction and actually get rid of Jenkins and invest in some really good Championship level players.
They didn't even do it to stay in the Prem though.

With all due respect, WPL is the level for enthusiasm.

We are supposed to be a professional football club.

U23’s Hype on 13:27 - Jun 3 with 2616 viewsBadlands

U23’s Hype on 06:41 - Jun 3 by BillyChong

TBF Fulton came to us with intention of playing in the senior team not the under 23s.
When he wasn't playing some were calling for him to have games and tried to make out he was outstanding - then when he did play he looked lost.
Not desperately Donnelley poor just not up to scratch and put in the Under23s.

U23’s Hype on 13:50 - Jun 3 with 2591 viewsA_Fans_Dad

U23’s Hype on 13:13 - Jun 3 by Kilkennyjack

With all due respect, WPL is the level for enthusiasm.

We are supposed to be a professional football club.

One of the criticisms of the 1st team last season was lack of effort ie enthusiasm, in that respect Roberts was like a breath of fresh air.
U23’s Hype on 16:10 - Jun 3 with 2524 viewsBlue_Blood

I think some of the replies in this thread are off the mark. I won't claim to have an extensive knowledge of your u23s but I have watched them once or twice and I think there a definitely one or two who could step up as long as the are supplemented with a bit of nous and experience.

One of the best teams I seen down Cardiff the season before last were Barnsley and they had a team full of young prospects who made the grade cos they were given the chance.

I think Dan James definitely should be given a chance, and though I haven't seen too much of him I liked Jack Evans and the full back with the long hair looked decent.

I know there are big expectations of Cullen but I was very disappointed in the faw cup final against Cardiff.

McBurnie should definitely be in contention this season and his stint at Barnsley would have done wonders for him.

I'd be careful about writing kids off cos they didn't set the world alight at another club on loan. I think it's horses for courses and the environment may have come as a shock to them. Just cos Fulton didn't set the world alight at Wigan doesn't mean he cam make a go of it at Swansea given the chance.
U23’s Hype on 16:13 - Jun 3 with 2518 viewsSwanjaxs

U23’s Hype on 16:10 - Jun 3 by Blue_Blood

I think some of the replies in this thread are off the mark. I won't claim to have an extensive knowledge of your u23s but I have watched them once or twice and I think there a definitely one or two who could step up as long as the are supplemented with a bit of nous and experience.

One of the best teams I seen down Cardiff the season before last were Barnsley and they had a team full of young prospects who made the grade cos they were given the chance.

I think Dan James definitely should be given a chance, and though I haven't seen too much of him I liked Jack Evans and the full back with the long hair looked decent.

I know there are big expectations of Cullen but I was very disappointed in the faw cup final against Cardiff.

McBurnie should definitely be in contention this season and his stint at Barnsley would have done wonders for him.

I'd be careful about writing kids off cos they didn't set the world alight at another club on loan. I think it's horses for courses and the environment may have come as a shock to them. Just cos Fulton didn't set the world alight at Wigan doesn't mean he cam make a go of it at Swansea given the chance.

Excellent post mate, keep posting sense and dont get dragged down by the trolls on here, you could be a stayer 👍
[Post edited 3 Jun 2018 16:14]

You might think I've forgotten, but one day, when you least expect it, my time will come.
Poll: Celtic and Rangers should be fast tracked into the Championship ASAP

U23’s Hype on 17:44 - Jun 3 with 2461 viewsjasper_T

We can give 5 or 6 of them a chance as (initially) squad players or spend £20m on bang average backups on 10x the wages like we've been doing.

Oli showed he can do the business in the Championship. Connor hasn't looked out of place in our first team. We had people saying the other day that we should pay £5m for a lad at Coventry who'd played no more football for them than Cian Harries did.

A couple of decent Byers free kicks and corners might have kept us up. But instead we stuck with the same group of established players that were in awful form and proven to be not good enough. Take a risk, give them time and backing. Odds are a few will push on and be assets, either on the pitch or on the end of year accounts when we sell them on.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024