Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
People of Wales, why do we allow ourselves to be kicked in the teeth. 12:42 - Jun 3 with 10135 viewsjohnlangy

The latest article on the Nation Cymru website.

‘For the UK Government, Wales is just not important,’ First Minister Carwyn Jones said in response to the revelation that Westminster had just pulled the plug on Swansea’s proposed Tidal Lagoon.

This belated realisation has come after a string of disappointments, including the decision to scrap the electrification of the railroad to Swansea.

Wales has long believed that if it shows its loyalty to Westminster, it will be rewarded. Like an eager dog, it keeps coming back for another kicking.

Of course, this belief flies directly in the face of reality. Compare and contrast how Westminster deal with the SNP Government in Scotland compared to the Labour government in Wales.

Westminster rewards dissent, they reward countries that stand up for themselves. Loyalty, meanwhile, is taken as a signal to treat you like a doormat.

One would hope that the First Minister’s realisation marks a turning point in Wales’ relationship with the UK establishment, which has been characterised by unending loyalty on one side and neglect on the other for the best part of 500 years.

However, his likely successor, Mark Drakeford, gave in to Westminster’s ‘power grab’ on the basis that defending the union was his most important consideration!

If you are in a neglectful and abusive marriage, the last thing you should do is say: ‘However you treat me, our marriage is the most important thing.’

What you do say is: ‘Start treating me right or I’m going to leave you.’

Power

We need to take for granted that Westminster does not care about Wales. That needs to be the starting point for Wales in all our considerations.

And why would they? If I was UK Prime Minister, docile old Wales would be the last thing on my mind too, unless I was planning a walking holiday.

The current UK Government is, in effect, a London and South-East England nationalist party.

Their idea of a ‘union’ is not to strengthen all parts of the UK equally, but to draw cultural, economic and political power slowly and surely into one corner of Britain.

Some politicians and media would like to treat ‘Welsh nationalism’ as an expletive, but all it means in practice is standing up for ourselves and saying that this is unfair.

The people of Wales need to wake up to this. There is no good reason why much of Wales is the poorest part of western Europe, while just down the road we have, in London, the richest part of Western Europe.

There is nothing natural about this concentration of wealth. It’s because the Government sprays money at London and centralises power there, while giving as little as it can to Wales.

The Government spends £2,700 per head on transport in London. The figure in Wales is closer to £100. London is getting Crossrail, HS2, Crossrail 2 and who knows what else will be in the pipeline.

Meanwhile, their only major contribution to Wales’ infrastructure recently has been to rename a bridge, something the majority of people in Wales were against anyway.

Wealth

So, Wales needs to ask itself a few questions: Why do we allow ourselves to be kicked in the teeth over and over?

Why do we allow people who don’t represent us — why have no understanding of Wales and its people — to make decisions at Westminster without taking our needs into consideration at all?

Think about the contribution Wales makes, and has made, to the UK.

The UK was built on the iron and coal made in Wales. But even then Wales was treated like a colony, trillions of pounds worth of goods exported, while the majority of our people lived in destitution.

Today, the relationship is just as one way. The UK couldn’t survive without the energy, from nuclear, wind and tides, from Wales, and without our vast reservoirs of water England would dry up like a raisin.

Multinational companies with offices in London feed off our cheap labour. Our children are always the first to be signed up for foreign wars. Wales gets no reward for this.

But the greatest resource Wales has is its people. And by denying Wales its fair share, Westminster is robbing us of that resource too.

Our young people want to leave our decaying towns, villages and cities and go to London and England’s South East. And who can blame them for going to where the wealth and opportunity is?

You can’t find a single father in Wales who will say, ‘I can’t wait for my son to join me at the call centre.’

There is no reason why Wales should put up with this. The ordinary working people of Wales have a right to demand a fair share of the UK’s wealth, and that means proper investment.

Wales needs to demand its fair share of investment so that the country has a future. So that our kids have the opportunity to live and study here and not to have to leave our country to find work.

We all love Wales and want to live happy, prosperous lives here, see our children and grandchildren grow up here, we want to retire here, and be buried here.

But that means that we have to fight, because at the moment our country is being sucked dry of all ambition and potential, and left to stagnate.

Anger

This isn’t about grievance. This isn’t anyone else’s fault. It’s not England’s fault, it’s not even the Tories’ fault — this is our fault. We have allowed ourselves to be treated this way, by being supine, and electing supine politicians to represent us.

We need to fight for recognition and respect. And we can’t sit around and wait for other people’s permission to do it.

We know the working people of Wales are tired of being treated like this. That is what was behind the Brexit vote, although their faith in charlatans like Farage, Johnson and Jacob Rees-Mogg was misplaced.

These politicians, who don’t understand Wales, have taken advantage of people’s anger and frustration to further roll back regulation that will leave working people at the mercy of global economic winds.

As it has in Scotland, the change here in Wales will happen when we elected people who will fight for what is best for the people of Wales, not what is best for the already wealthy in London and the South East of England.

And like Scotland, if we come together and demand that we’re treated differently, they will have no choice but to do so.

Under the current circumstances, the Welsh Government’s claim that they’re ‘standing up for Wales’ is a joke.

They’re on their knees, complaining about being kicked in the teeth while thanking Westminster for their benevolence.

If they won’t stand up for Wales, it’s time to elect someone who will. It’s up to us.
People of Wales, why do we allow ourselves to be kicked in the teeth. on 18:12 - Jun 3 with 1735 viewspeenemunde

People of Wales, why do we allow ourselves to be kicked in the teeth. on 17:55 - Jun 3 by johnlangy

Very briefly the prosperity part would be measured by a GDP about double that of Wales.

Are you saying the GDP of an average person living in roi is double that of your average person living in Wales........if so you are mental.
People of Wales, why do we allow ourselves to be kicked in the teeth. on 18:13 - Jun 3 with 1735 viewsjohnlangy

People of Wales, why do we allow ourselves to be kicked in the teeth. on 13:55 - Jun 3 by Jonathans_coat

Good article on the whole. Does contain some nonsense, but also many good points.

I cringed a bit at the 'our children .... foreign wars' bit as well Jon if that's what you mean.

Please explain pikey why the article is pathetic. Wales IS treated like a dog by the Westminster government, red or blue. That's a fact. And the article does an excellent job in pointing that out.
People of Wales, why do we allow ourselves to be kicked in the teeth. on 18:14 - Jun 3 with 1730 viewstrampie

People of Wales, why do we allow ourselves to be kicked in the teeth. on 18:07 - Jun 3 by peenemunde

Well that’s me out. Never will I be voting pc

Symonds Yat is in England [just] isn't it ? and Plaid don't stand in England, so you could not vote for them anyway ?

Continually being banned by Planet Swans for Porthcawl and then being reinstated.
Poll: UK European Union membership referendum poll

People of Wales, why do we allow ourselves to be kicked in the teeth. on 18:16 - Jun 3 with 1725 viewspeenemunde

People of Wales, why do we allow ourselves to be kicked in the teeth. on 18:14 - Jun 3 by trampie

Symonds Yat is in England [just] isn't it ? and Plaid don't stand in England, so you could not vote for them anyway ?

I have properties in Wales, how do you now where I’m registered.
People of Wales, why do we allow ourselves to be kicked in the teeth. on 18:17 - Jun 3 with 1718 viewstrampie

People of Wales, why do we allow ourselves to be kicked in the teeth. on 18:16 - Jun 3 by peenemunde

I have properties in Wales, how do you now where I’m registered.

Where are you registered ?

Continually being banned by Planet Swans for Porthcawl and then being reinstated.

People of Wales, why do we allow ourselves to be kicked in the teeth. on 18:19 - Jun 3 with 1721 viewslifelong

People of Wales, why do we allow ourselves to be kicked in the teeth. on 15:58 - Jun 3 by moonie

Good article and realisation of the depth of Swansea demise

What say you Lifey to the others who " slag off" Swansea
How does plaid have the interests of Deeside at heart giving your hatred of those east of the Dyke ,tramps, you're views are appalling and thinly veiled racist hate

Plaid would marginalise non Welsh speakers for a start

Threads like his are right up your street so that you can come out with crap like that last sentence of yours...utter nonsense.
People of Wales, why do we allow ourselves to be kicked in the teeth. on 18:26 - Jun 3 with 1709 viewsjohnlangy

People of Wales, why do we allow ourselves to be kicked in the teeth. on 15:13 - Jun 3 by trampie

Oh just seeing this, after I replied to you on another thread, wondering if you was part of the problem, lol.

The best think you can do is support Plaid and try and persuade others to do the same to hopefully from your point of view get some of the things you desire, criticising them constantly in public like this message-board does your hopes no good of getting what you desire for Swansea and Wales as the Labour party, Conservative and Unionist party and the Liberal Democrats are not going to provide it, they are all London centric parties in a UK sense and a Cardiff centric party in a Wales sense.

Plaid Cymru has the interests of all of Wales at heart, don't forget Plaids heartlands are far away from Cardiff, its not in Plaids interest to be Cardiff biased.

Another poster called this a 'vote for Plaid' article. Perhaps it is meant to be. But it won't make me vote Plaid any more.

I've been voting Plaid for a long time and have also been a member for 10 years or so and i'm sick to death of their unwillingness to stand up for Wales. You call Plaid the only party willing to do this but i've been in contact with them so many times over the last few years asking why they are so timid, why are they so afraid of confronting Labour, why don't they simply STAND UP FOR WALES. You, Trampie, may say they do but they are so wimpish as to be a complete waste of time.

Many others call them the party for an Independent Wales. Yet they're afraid to even say the word. The only time they do is when they're asked a question by an audience member in which case they can't avoid it.

I'll be leaving Plaid shortly and becoming a member of the new party being formed which will be as transparent as it's possible to be. The aim of the party is Welsh Independence and that will be stated at every opportunity.
People of Wales, why do we allow ourselves to be kicked in the teeth. on 18:37 - Jun 3 with 1697 viewstrampie

People of Wales, why do we allow ourselves to be kicked in the teeth. on 18:26 - Jun 3 by johnlangy

Another poster called this a 'vote for Plaid' article. Perhaps it is meant to be. But it won't make me vote Plaid any more.

I've been voting Plaid for a long time and have also been a member for 10 years or so and i'm sick to death of their unwillingness to stand up for Wales. You call Plaid the only party willing to do this but i've been in contact with them so many times over the last few years asking why they are so timid, why are they so afraid of confronting Labour, why don't they simply STAND UP FOR WALES. You, Trampie, may say they do but they are so wimpish as to be a complete waste of time.

Many others call them the party for an Independent Wales. Yet they're afraid to even say the word. The only time they do is when they're asked a question by an audience member in which case they can't avoid it.

I'll be leaving Plaid shortly and becoming a member of the new party being formed which will be as transparent as it's possible to be. The aim of the party is Welsh Independence and that will be stated at every opportunity.

Yes I hear you, they are a nicey nice party, very middle of the road in many ways and don't rock the boat, they are afraid of being labelled imo, they bend over backwards not to offend.

Can I ask who you are thinking of joining ?

Login to get fewer ads

People of Wales, why do we allow ourselves to be kicked in the teeth. on 18:39 - Jun 3 with 1694 viewsBrynmill_Jack

People of Wales, why do we allow ourselves to be kicked in the teeth. on 17:55 - Jun 3 by johnlangy

Very briefly the prosperity part would be measured by a GDP about double that of Wales.

Is that Cardiff's GDP you're talking about????

Each time I go to Bedd - au........................

People of Wales, why do we allow ourselves to be kicked in the teeth. on 19:01 - Jun 3 with 1669 viewsjohnlangy

People of Wales, why do we allow ourselves to be kicked in the teeth. on 18:12 - Jun 3 by peenemunde

Are you saying the GDP of an average person living in roi is double that of your average person living in Wales........if so you are mental.

Welsh GDP in 2015/16 with a population of 3 million was about 61 billion dollars. Ireland with a population of 5 million was about 230 billion dollars.

I'll refrain from making a sarcastic comment about your post.
People of Wales, why do we allow ourselves to be kicked in the teeth. on 19:10 - Jun 3 with 1652 viewslondonlisa2001

People of Wales, why do we allow ourselves to be kicked in the teeth. on 19:01 - Jun 3 by johnlangy

Welsh GDP in 2015/16 with a population of 3 million was about 61 billion dollars. Ireland with a population of 5 million was about 230 billion dollars.

Ireland’s GDP per capita is not that far off double the GDP per capita of the UK as a whole (c. $70k cf c. $40k).

It’s not a fair measure though, as Ireland's GDP is massively distorted by the washing of internet profits through Ireland (Google, YAHOO, Facebook etc). Hardly any of the economic benefit of that goes to Ireland and its people.

If you look instead at GNP per capita they’re pretty identical.
People of Wales, why do we allow ourselves to be kicked in the teeth. on 19:12 - Jun 3 with 1652 viewsHighjack

People of Wales, why do we allow ourselves to be kicked in the teeth. on 18:26 - Jun 3 by johnlangy

Which party is about to be formed?

The creatures outside looked from pig to man, and from man to pig, and from pig to man again; but already it was impossible to say which was which.
Poll: Should Dippy Drakeford do us all a massive favour and just bog off?

People of Wales, why do we allow ourselves to be kicked in the teeth. on 19:16 - Jun 3 with 1647 viewspeenemunde

People of Wales, why do we allow ourselves to be kicked in the teeth. on 19:01 - Jun 3 by johnlangy

The most ridiculous stats I’ve seen in a long time. Do they reflect what’s happening on the ground ?.
People of Wales, why do we allow ourselves to be kicked in the teeth. on 20:37 - Jun 3 with 1623 viewspikeypaul

People of Wales, why do we allow ourselves to be kicked in the teeth. on 18:01 - Jun 3 by bluey_the_blue

Did they trampie?

Like when they had to be repeatedly bailed out?

Like when the public had to be asked again to get the EU friendly response wanted?

When they came with their begging bowls to Westminster.

They have no shame.

But in 299 days they will be Brussels problem.

299 AFLI

OUT AFLI SUCK IT UP REMOANER LOSERS 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧
Poll: Where wil Judas be sitting when we play Millwall?

People of Wales, why do we allow ourselves to be kicked in the teeth. on 20:58 - Jun 3 with 1606 viewsowainglyndwr

People of Wales, why do we allow ourselves to be kicked in the teeth. on 20:37 - Jun 3 by pikeypaul

They have no shame.

299 AFLI

Not only Westminster have hit us for 6 but the Assembly has been taking the p@ss if you live outside the Cardiff bubble for years.
Corruption & back handers terrible.
A Vote of no confidence in the Assembly would be a start.
We must stand up for ourselves nobody else will.
People of Wales, why do we allow ourselves to be kicked in the teeth. on 22:11 - Jun 3 with 1582 viewsjohnlangy

People of Wales, why do we allow ourselves to be kicked in the teeth. on 18:37 - Jun 3 by trampie

Yes I hear you, they are a nicey nice party, very middle of the road in many ways and don't rock the boat, they are afraid of being labelled imo, they bend over backwards not to offend.

The name of the new party is Ein Gwlad (our country).
People of Wales, why do we allow ourselves to be kicked in the teeth. on 22:11 - Jun 3 with 1581 viewsHighjack

People of Wales, why do we allow ourselves to be kicked in the teeth. on 20:37 - Jun 3 by pikeypaul

They have no shame.

299 AFLI

They didn’t, the banks they owed the money to did

The creatures outside looked from pig to man, and from man to pig, and from pig to man again; but already it was impossible to say which was which.

People of Wales, why do we allow ourselves to be kicked in the teeth. on 01:01 - Jun 4 with 1536 viewsHighjack

People of Wales, why do we allow ourselves to be kicked in the teeth. on 22:11 - Jun 3 by johnlangy

Can I join?

People of Wales, why do we allow ourselves to be kicked in the teeth. on 07:46 - Jun 4 with 1491 viewstrampie

People of Wales, why do we allow ourselves to be kicked in the teeth. on 22:11 - Jun 3 by johnlangy

I thought it might have been the new party Jaco was behind, although its the first time I have heard the name and had to google it.

I'm on the left myself, solid left, I think Jaco is more centre right, Plaid represent my stand point, Leanne particularly has the same politics as me, all be it she is younger.
She was a radical in her younger days, perhaps Plaid would be better off if she was full on revolution and fully into the blame game with its their fault over there and come judgement day watch out and all that, but she is too nice to act the attack dog.

One group that certainly is making a splash is 'Yes Cymru', they are not aligned to any political party, they seem to have grown rapidly, have lots of rallies, marches etc, lots of well known speakers, Jaco's party is saying they are also non aligned, I think there is a similar movement with huge followings in Scotland as well, my first thoughts were that some people don't like the politics of Plaid and even the super successful SNP and also that both are not pushing independence enough, is something i have read by people saying why they are joining such movements and that both are too close and too cosy to the establishment.

These groups seem to be nicey nice groups also, who is behind the 'Yes' movement ???, I initially thought 'they would not get off the ground, then I thought when they most definitely did get off the ground that they would potentially take votes off Plaid/SNP if they stood in elections, I don't know if they intend standing in the future ?, I don't recall such movements gaining a foothold before but they certainly seem to have.

People of Wales, why do we allow ourselves to be kicked in the teeth. on 08:56 - Jun 4 with 1473 viewsPrivate_Partz

People of Wales, why do we allow ourselves to be kicked in the teeth. on 18:37 - Jun 3 by trampie

B Hell Trampie! You dragged me over the coals for saying exactly the same thing as JL. Even started a thread with my name in the title to battle on.
What has JL got that I haven't? We were on the same side after all. :-))

You have mission in life to hold out your hand, To help the other guy out, Help your fellow man. Stan Ridgway

People of Wales, why do we allow ourselves to be kicked in the teeth. on 09:03 - Jun 4 with 1466 viewsmoonie

Nothing to do with threads up street Rog

It's about how things are for the city right now and for the future. Pointless you making it its all hunky dory and naysayers should be ripped asunder .

Look around the place ,listen and learn

It's urban destruction and unforgivable .

Pas long asxwechave attitudes like trampie Englanders will always dump on Wales and who can blame them. Without England and English people Wales starves . Simple. Without English visitors north Wales would be wiped out economically
People of Wales, why do we allow ourselves to be kicked in the teeth. on 09:27 - Jun 4 with 1452 viewsjohnlangy

People of Wales, why do we allow ourselves to be kicked in the teeth. on 19:10 - Jun 3 by londonlisa2001

Ireland’s GDP per capita is not that far off double the GDP per capita of the UK as a whole (c. $70k cf c. $40k).

It’s not a fair measure though, as Ireland's GDP is massively distorted by the washing of internet profits through Ireland (Google, YAHOO, Facebook etc). Hardly any of the economic benefit of that goes to Ireland and its people.

If you look instead at GNP per capita they’re pretty identical.

I agree. It's only one measure. And I also agree that, because these numbers show an apparently strong economy that doesn't mean that the benefits flow down to everyone.

I read recently that London and the South East is the richest part of Europe (or was it just London ?). And here in West Wales we are living in the poorest part of North Western Europe.

And the article is making the point that that's exactly how it's going to stay. In fact it's probably going to get worse.
People of Wales, why do we allow ourselves to be kicked in the teeth. on 09:28 - Jun 4 with 1451 viewsjohnlangy

People of Wales, why do we allow ourselves to be kicked in the teeth. on 19:16 - Jun 3 by peenemunde

The most ridiculous stats I’ve seen in a long time. Do they reflect what’s happening on the ground ?.

Just a statement of fact. See my reply to Lisa about what's happening on the ground.
People of Wales, why do we allow ourselves to be kicked in the teeth. on 09:30 - Jun 4 with 1450 viewsjohnlangy

People of Wales, why do we allow ourselves to be kicked in the teeth. on 01:01 - Jun 4 by Highjack

Can I join?

The party will be officially launched probably in September and you'll be more than welcome
People of Wales, why do we allow ourselves to be kicked in the teeth. on 09:40 - Jun 4 with 1440 viewspikeypaul

People of Wales, why do we allow ourselves to be kicked in the teeth. on 09:30 - Jun 4 by johnlangy

The party will be officially launched probably in September and you'll be more than welcome

Should be interesting.

I just hope it’s not full of Labour arse licking loonies like PC is.

OUT AFLI SUCK IT UP REMOANER LOSERS 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧
Poll: Where wil Judas be sitting when we play Millwall?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024