Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
The Potter Era Begins 15:49 - Jun 4 with 14110 viewsTheKirkyLife

Feeling optimistic already!!
The Potter Era Begins on 20:29 - Jun 4 with 3638 viewsMattG

The Potter Era Begins on 18:14 - Jun 4 by RevJames

Two questions:

1. Why were they great appointments?

2. Why the need to continually replace managers?

I actually said that they "initially looked like great appointments" not that they were great appointments. I'm not sure, given the positions we were in when each was appointed and, in the cases of Clement and Guidolin, the fact that they got us out of it, that there can be much argument about that.

As for why we have continually needed to replace managers, it's probably a combination of things. As has been mentioned, the quality of our squad seems to get eroded to some extent every summer, which obviously makes the manager's job more difficult. Also, there may be an element of the Emperor's New Clothes insofar as none of them had managed in the PL before and it perhaps took other managers a bit of time to work us out. Luckily for us, on two occasions, we got away with it for just long enough - not so this season.

Just to clarify, I'm not suggesting Jenkins is some kind of genius - his choices may well have been as much (or more) down to luck as they were to judgement and the erosion of our playing squad I mentioned has also happened on his watch.
The Potter Era Begins on 21:19 - Jun 4 with 3466 viewsjacksfullaces

couldn't care less about the managerial appointment at this moment in time, and no-one truly knows whether it is a good appointment or not. pretty sure people weren't singing Brendan's praises back in the day.

the fact on the face of it nothing appears to have changed in terms of the actual decision making/structure of the club BEFORE this appointment was made is what I find most perplexing, or that a managerial appointment can now brush it all under the carpet.

it seems in a football club, everything is forgotten until the next run of defeats, and then it will all be the managers fault .. again ....
The Potter Era Begins on 22:27 - Jun 4 with 3300 viewsTNT

Call me a nostalgist, but The Potter Era was The Seventies, mun!

Poll: Would you make goalposts bigger?

The Potter Era Begins on 22:32 - Jun 4 with 3286 viewsPrivate_Partz

The Potter Era Begins on 20:29 - Jun 4 by MattG

I actually said that they "initially looked like great appointments" not that they were great appointments. I'm not sure, given the positions we were in when each was appointed and, in the cases of Clement and Guidolin, the fact that they got us out of it, that there can be much argument about that.

As for why we have continually needed to replace managers, it's probably a combination of things. As has been mentioned, the quality of our squad seems to get eroded to some extent every summer, which obviously makes the manager's job more difficult. Also, there may be an element of the Emperor's New Clothes insofar as none of them had managed in the PL before and it perhaps took other managers a bit of time to work us out. Luckily for us, on two occasions, we got away with it for just long enough - not so this season.

Just to clarify, I'm not suggesting Jenkins is some kind of genius - his choices may well have been as much (or more) down to luck as they were to judgement and the erosion of our playing squad I mentioned has also happened on his watch.

I think you do Frankie and Clem a great injustice here. They were not found out. They did their best with a poor and imbalanced squads. Their thanks for this was a failure to support them which ultimately led to them being shown the door. With Frankie it was done with abhorrent haste to get Blobby in.
Carlos was in a similar situation but failed to keep us up.
Only one guy to blame. All the managers can't be wrong. Jenkins is the common denominator.

You have mission in life to hold out your hand, To help the other guy out, Help your fellow man. Stan Ridgway

The Potter Era Begins on 22:48 - Jun 4 with 3221 viewsjasper_T

Clement was found out. Proved all the Derby fans no one listened to when we signed him right.
The Potter Era Begins on 22:57 - Jun 4 with 3185 viewsKinsey

The Potter Era Begins on 16:50 - Jun 4 by snork44

As person who appoints and chooses managers there is no one better than Jenkins, but as a DOF , the guy was an absolute joke.

You’ve got to be taking the p15s

The man is a joke.
The Potter Era Begins on 23:08 - Jun 4 with 3131 viewsMuteswan

Graham Potter’s wife is listed on the Östersund wiki page in the Technical Staff as “Pilates instructor “, maybe she can work some magic for our injured players and help stop injuries happening with her skills.
Jobs for the boys (sorry girls) ? 😉
The Potter Era Begins on 23:27 - Jun 4 with 3068 viewsDippy

The Potter Era Begins on 23:08 - Jun 4 by Muteswan

Graham Potter’s wife is listed on the Östersund wiki page in the Technical Staff as “Pilates instructor “, maybe she can work some magic for our injured players and help stop injuries happening with her skills.
Jobs for the boys (sorry girls) ? 😉

It's about training your core strength.. tips of your toes to the top of your head.

All to test the strength of your inner b*llocks.. and the women were correct, I do have a pair..

It all makes sense now.. why they all dragged me to the place for a few months.. to prepare me for the ultimate challenge, and enter the world of the women..

You guys seriously don't have a clue yet do you.. don't worry lads.. they know I'm on to their game.. they already know I'm a serious challenger.. they've even attempted to kill me (true).. they even got the queen involved.

And I'll shout a warning out to them.. I'm not backing down without a fight.. they doubted me back then, but I'm still here fighting..

Poll: Cooper Out

Login to get fewer ads

The Potter Era Begins on 23:53 - Jun 4 with 3006 viewsBrynmill_Jack

The Potter Era Begins on 16:09 - Jun 4 by Wark

Congratulations guys!
I'm of course gutted that Potter is leaving ÖFK but it's a great opportunity for him and I hope he'll do well at Swans.

Thanks Wark. I hope you find a manager to continue Potter's great work there

Each time I go to Bedd - au........................

The Potter Era Begins on 02:50 - Jun 5 with 2897 viewsGlyn1

One thing I'm not looking forward to are all of the Harry Potter 'jokes' / headlines that are about to come our way.

Poll: Who should be our next manager? Please name them.

The Potter Era Begins on 02:55 - Jun 5 with 2895 viewsGlyn1

The Potter Era Begins on 19:20 - Jun 4 by Badlands

Eh!
Last week fans of ÖFK were ranting about money grabbing, no investment Daniel Kindberg.
(Kindberg then finds a way to cheat all the money to himself from all sales before he leaves for 4-5 years.)

But all may not be as it seems -
https://vaaju.com/swedeneng/daniel-kindbergs-business-partner-is-being-investiga

Suggestion is the club has been run with money held back from taxman
In one of his companies, the man has been examined by the Swedish Tax Agency for his accounting. In this company, the hired business partner has made huge expenses to sponsor Östersund's FK, something that the ÖP has reported.

According to the Swedish Tax Agency's audit, it is about SEK 1.55 million in 2014, and almost SEK 3.1 million the following year. This is about half of the company's operating expenses in both years.

"The investigation in the case shows that the company has deducted advertising costs with very high amounts. The costs related to payments to the Östersund Football Club (ÖFK) are equivalent, as so far.
(1,000, 000 SEK about £90,000)

Interesting, but that link is from 7 weeks ago (April 17), has anything happened since?

And selfishly, we are only interested in how good / bad the manager is - not how honest / dishonest the chairman is.
[Post edited 5 Jun 2018 2:56]

Poll: Who should be our next manager? Please name them.

The Potter Era Begins on 03:20 - Jun 5 with 2884 viewsDewi1jack

The Potter Era Begins on 02:55 - Jun 5 by Glyn1

Interesting, but that link is from 7 weeks ago (April 17), has anything happened since?

And selfishly, we are only interested in how good / bad the manager is - not how honest / dishonest the chairman is.
[Post edited 5 Jun 2018 2:56]

"And selfishly, we are only interested in how good / bad the manager is - not how honest / dishonest the chairman is."

And that's the reason Beaky has got away with murdering the Trust and Club in recent years.

Welcome Mr Potter.
You have 10 games the same as any new manager, to show things are moving in the right direction.
Brad Bobley's team managed to ship 18 goals in 5 games and he hasn't shut up since about managing "Swwwwaaaansi" and how hard it is.

Listen to and treat that sh1t the same as when you listen to Beaky when he tells you about an excellent keeper in the Outer Hebrides 6th division

You'll see no difference between working for a corrupt Chairman at least, if the speculation about your ex club is true

If you wake up breathing, thats a good start to your day and you'll make many thousands of people envious.

The Potter Era Begins on 06:56 - Jun 5 with 2805 viewsMattG

The Potter Era Begins on 22:32 - Jun 4 by Private_Partz

I think you do Frankie and Clem a great injustice here. They were not found out. They did their best with a poor and imbalanced squads. Their thanks for this was a failure to support them which ultimately led to them being shown the door. With Frankie it was done with abhorrent haste to get Blobby in.
Only one guy to blame. All the managers can't be wrong. Jenkins is the common denominator.

That's not quite what I said - I only suggested that, coupled with the poor quality of the playing squad, there MAY have been an ELEMENT of the Emperor's New Clothes about things.

I don't think anything would have prevented the Bradley Experiment but if we had had a better squad throughout the last few seasons then possibly either Clement or Carvalhal would have survived.

And I don't disagree with your last sentence but with the focus much more in terms of player rather than manager recruitment.
The Potter Era Begins on 08:58 - Jun 5 with 2652 viewsWarwickHunt

The Potter Era Begins on 02:50 - Jun 5 by Glyn1

One thing I'm not looking forward to are all of the Harry Potter 'jokes' / headlines that are about to come our way.

I hope we sign Merlin.
The Potter Era Begins on 09:09 - Jun 5 with 2626 viewsymaohyd

The Potter Era Begins on 22:32 - Jun 4 by Private_Partz

Indeed.

On the optimism of Potter - Football is Forrest Gump esq, you never know what you are going to get!

Every season that we were in the Prem, I always fancied us to be relegated, until last season.

A good, sound, British coach at the helm, superb pedigree, brilliant end to the 2016/17 season. I thought without a shadow of doubt we'd be mid table. However, due to the reasons you outlined, how wrong was I.

I'm positive about Potter, because the Championship gives breathing space for development and to build for the future. If the pressure is on him to get us straight back up (from the board) then things might turn out different, a nice, solid, mid table start will do for me.

Back to Forrest Gump, I suppose that's what makes football so exciting...the unknown. I heard from several sources that prior to Laudrup's first game there was a lot of turmoil behind the scenes, being the prophet of doom, though disaster beckoned then off we go to QPR....!

We train on a pitch alongside a public gym for years and play football from the gods, move to a state of the art centre and lose our footballing philosophy.

My personal wish for next season is that we get rid of the Ayew's, Bony and several others and bring in players, who fit into a plan, play for the shirt and excite us with the football that they play.

Blog: World Cup Performance = Transfer Speculation?

The Potter Era Begins on 09:15 - Jun 5 with 2607 viewswhiterock

Don't underestimate Billy Reid in this, a decent No2 is something we have missed for a long while, perhaps as far back as Graeme Jones, I would imagine the good cop bad cop scenario will come back into play.
The Potter Era Begins on 09:27 - Jun 5 with 2569 viewsKGriz16

Alan Curtis is coming back as a coach as well.
The Potter Era Begins on 09:33 - Jun 5 with 2549 viewsPrivate_Partz

The Potter Era Begins on 06:56 - Jun 5 by MattG

That's not quite what I said - I only suggested that, coupled with the poor quality of the playing squad, there MAY have been an ELEMENT of the Emperor's New Clothes about things.

I don't think anything would have prevented the Bradley Experiment but if we had had a better squad throughout the last few seasons then possibly either Clement or Carvalhal would have survived.

And I don't disagree with your last sentence but with the focus much more in terms of player rather than manager recruitment.

Fairy Nuff :-)

You have mission in life to hold out your hand, To help the other guy out, Help your fellow man. Stan Ridgway

The Potter Era Begins on 11:10 - Jun 5 with 2458 viewsAlfieMooresSon

Feeling optimistic already!!

I'm feeling underwhelmed, and slightly worried he's going to make a right mess of it, similar to Ole Gunner Solkjear, it's a similar background and similar job, although he did take them down aswell.

I hope I am wrong and will give him a chance, massive job this one though, good luck to him.
The Potter Era Begins on 11:19 - Jun 5 with 2441 viewsHeadmaster

Ostersund chairman on Huw Jenkins:

"I have very much respect for their chairman Huw Jenkins as a football leader. He is a generous and talented leader who possesses great football skills. I look forward to future partnerships with Swansea in general and Jenkins in particular."

But seriously, I hope this puts us in a good position to bid for Sema and Ghoddos.
The Potter Era Begins on 11:48 - Jun 5 with 2407 viewsJacket

The Potter Era Begins on 18:09 - Jun 4 by MattG

In fairness, all 3 of Guidolin, Clement and Carvalhal initially looked like great appointments - two of them got us out of trouble and the third probably should have done.

Forget Bradley - I have (almost).

Had we not sacked Guido then, we would still be in the Premier league, I have no doubt about that. For me, sacking him is up there with sacking Laudrup. In fact, I'm more certain he would have kept us up than Laudrup. His football may not have been the most attractive, but it was high octane compared to Clement. The sacking of Guido to help our marketing drive in the US lead directly to the appointing of Clement and Carlos, so Huw can be excused of those appointments as they were the direct result of meddling by the Yanks. However, he cannot be excused for appointing Monk which lead to long term pain for a bit of short term gain.
The Potter Era Begins on 12:00 - Jun 5 with 2386 viewsBadlands

The Potter Era Begins on 11:48 - Jun 5 by Jacket

Had we not sacked Guido then, we would still be in the Premier league, I have no doubt about that. For me, sacking him is up there with sacking Laudrup. In fact, I'm more certain he would have kept us up than Laudrup. His football may not have been the most attractive, but it was high octane compared to Clement. The sacking of Guido to help our marketing drive in the US lead directly to the appointing of Clement and Carlos, so Huw can be excused of those appointments as they were the direct result of meddling by the Yanks. However, he cannot be excused for appointing Monk which lead to long term pain for a bit of short term gain.

Perfect summing up.
I'd add the way Guideline was treated from the time he was appointed full time until he was sacked was shameful.

Poll: Should the summer transfer window close before the season starts?

The Potter Era Begins on 12:21 - Jun 5 with 2336 viewsMrSwerve

The Potter Era Begins on 02:50 - Jun 5 by Glyn1

'Potter works his magic' will surely be used everywhere after our first win...

Poll: Decision day - who wins the PL title?

The Potter Era Begins on 13:16 - Jun 5 with 2241 viewsjacksfullaces

The Potter Era Begins on 11:19 - Jun 5 by Headmaster

Ostersund chairman on Huw Jenkins:

"I have very much respect for their chairman Huw Jenkins as a football leader. He is a generous and talented leader who possesses great football skills. I look forward to future partnerships with Swansea in general and Jenkins in particular."

But seriously, I hope this puts us in a good position to bid for Sema and Ghoddos.

looks like Huw has found his new Falkirk.

Seriously though, WTF is he still doing there? The Trust have called for his head, he pretty much said at Xmas he would have to go if the season ended in failure, yet he appears to be the architect of our latest 'managerial coup'.

Dictatorship at the Swans these days it seems like.
The Potter Era Begins on 13:31 - Jun 5 with 2185 viewsBloodyhills

Better to have some sort of EQ rather than zero piss off everyone by stamping all over their toes and losing the dressing room. Much better chance of getting something out of the players if you can understand that works to motivate them.

Poll: Who wants the Swans to lose games get relegated to get rid of Huw and the yanks.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024