Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Potter has a degree in Emotional Intelligence 20:25 - Jun 4 with 5641 viewsdickythorpe

Interesting, it will be interesting to see what players he wants to bring in and those he wants out.
The club needs to reconnect with the fans, maybe he is the man to do it.
Potter has a degree in Emotional Intelligence on 12:35 - Jun 5 with 1832 viewsswanforthemoney

Potter has a degree in Emotional Intelligence on 06:01 - Jun 5 by Glyn1

Rubbish. 20 year olds are putting themselves £30,000 in debt precisely because they do value getting a degree. They're harder working, and face a tougher time, than students from 20 or 30 years ago.

Make that 50 grand debts once you throw living costs into the equation. I did a degree in the seventies, got through it with no debt thanks to grants and decent holiday jobs over the summer.
I don't think I'd do one now TBH.

I stand in the North Stand

Potter has a degree in Emotional Intelligence on 12:39 - Jun 5 with 1827 viewsUxbridge

Potter has a degree in Emotional Intelligence on 12:26 - Jun 5 by Badlands

I would never have gone to college / university in today's climate.
But both my kids studied in the noughts (Engineering (MSc) and Arts / Law (PhD)) and came out with debts of under £10,000 still ridiculously high IMO. Neither took a penny from us but worked to cover their fees and expenses.
Debt is too easily acquired.

Our problem has been elitism of the public school system where a degree in Latin has greater kudos than one in plumbing. The German model, which one of mine went through for initial degree, demands practical excellence and very high academic, educational and personal standards and most are directly related to work.

Getting the highest education you can should be a goal in itself.

Absolutely. How we define education is the key though. That need not be academia or university.

Blog: Whose money is it anyway?

Potter has a degree in Emotional Intelligence on 12:40 - Jun 5 with 1827 viewsProfessor

Potter has a degree in Emotional Intelligence on 10:48 - Jun 5 by Uxbridge

I can't speak for the 80's but the facilities in my uni in the 90's were excellent and having spent some time in other uni's since, I'm not sure I've seen a massive improvement in that regard. All uni's are different though ... the facilities in Swansea Uni have clearly improved in recent times.

The drive to get as many into HE was one of Blair's bigger follies I've long argued. The thinking seemed little more than more in Uni = better educated population = better for the economy, which is bonkers really when you think about it. The German education model which gives a lot more focus on non-academic pursuits is far better suited to the realities of the 21st century IMO.

The costs argument is a fair one and there's no easy answer in the current climate. I do think the current scenario is the worst of the options though ... loading graduates with around £60k of debt before entering the workforce can't be the ideal. It's certainly not going to do much for social mobility, and I'm not sure I would have followed the path I would have. A reduction of numbers and general taxation would be the more logical to me, if coupled with other educational reforms to give everyone a chance.

I agree. We have a bloated HE sector with around 130 Universities. Of course privatisation is always on the agenda-which would lower standards. The customer-service led approach is also lowering standards lest anyone offend the customer leading to a lower score in the NSS which drives rankings.

Vocational or technical education would be better for many.
Potter has a degree in Emotional Intelligence on 12:41 - Jun 5 with 1824 viewsProfessor

Potter has a degree in Emotional Intelligence on 12:35 - Jun 5 by swanforthemoney

Make that 50 grand debts once you throw living costs into the equation. I did a degree in the seventies, got through it with no debt thanks to grants and decent holiday jobs over the summer.
I don't think I'd do one now TBH.

But you probably would need to as it has become the base currency for many jobs
Potter has a degree in Emotional Intelligence on 12:43 - Jun 5 with 1818 viewsProfessor

Potter has a degree in Emotional Intelligence on 11:01 - Jun 5 by moonie

If one can learn a trade via an apprenticeship these days debt free then it seems the right way

For many people this would be better, including some HE elements as part of it. No reason other than the current economics of HE that people should not be doing work-related degrees in their workplace with the odd day at a University
Potter has a degree in Emotional Intelligence on 12:44 - Jun 5 with 1812 viewsKingBony

Potter has a degree in Emotional Intelligence on 10:50 - Jun 5 by Uxbridge

I'd worry if you did. Useful contribution though.

I’d worrry if I were you too

Daddy Daddy cool, Daddy Daddy cool

Potter has a degree in Emotional Intelligence on 12:45 - Jun 5 with 1815 viewsProfessor

Potter has a degree in Emotional Intelligence on 10:22 - Jun 5 by bluenile

Well it's a Master's Degree, which would have taken some intense studying to achieve. It's obviously paid off for Ostersund. At least it's a higher level of education than Jenkins achieved when he became our esteemed "Director of Football". . . . . .will it work out? Who knows? But I'm more impressed by this guy's efforts to better both himself and the club he manages, than any of the old guard we could have gone for.

Some Master's Degrees are really not that taxing whilst others are. Some are just a money-making scam for Universities tbh
Potter has a degree in Emotional Intelligence on 12:56 - Jun 5 with 1787 viewsJoe_bradshaw

I don’t know whether his qualifications will be a big help to him here or not but I would rather he had those qualifications than he didn’t.

Good luck to him.

Planet Swans Prediction League Winner Season 2013-14. Runner up 2014_15.
Poll: How many points clear of relegation will we be on Saturday night?

Login to get fewer ads

Potter has a degree in Emotional Intelligence on 13:45 - Jun 5 with 1728 viewswaynekerr55

Potter has a degree in Emotional Intelligence on 09:51 - Jun 5 by Uxbridge

They are indeed. I spent most of my student years in a drunken haze. I dare say my attitude would have been different if I'd been shelling out £9.5k a year on fees and didn't have a grant to cover a fair chunk of my living expenses. And that's without mentioning the far more competitive economic environment they'll be facing. I don't envy them in the slightest, they've been dealt a rum hand.

The rest is spot on though. It's a pretty depressing state of affairs when someone is queried for being well-educated in a subject which, given the undoubted importance of the mental state on performance, looks to be pretty relevant to the job of football manager. Experts though eh. What do they know.

Good points well made Uxy.

The ego of players means that a good man manager is essential. We are going to have some very, very well paid players who nobody will want to take off us (thanks Huw and Leadbetter), how he manages this is crucial

How many of you know what DP stands for?
Poll: POTY 2019
Blog: Too many things for a title, but stop with the xenophobia accusations!

Potter has a degree in Emotional Intelligence on 14:17 - Jun 5 with 1691 viewsjacksfullaces

perhaps he can manage up then if this masters is as powerful as you think.

chuck in a bit of NLP and he will be running the show. reckon that wouldn't have been on the job description Huw sent out.

it's like magic don't you know, perhaps he really is the boy wizard.

seriously though, stop spinning the PR about this, higher education (all education) is valuable, needs to be the right type, for the right person, at the right time. of course a bit of EQ understanding will help at some point when he has a system/squad/structure to work with. as will plenty of other qualifications in coaching etc
Potter has a degree in Emotional Intelligence on 14:34 - Jun 5 with 1671 viewsItchySphincter

Potter has a degree in Emotional Intelligence on 10:27 - Jun 5 by KingBony

Can’t agree with anything you’ve said there. Unfortunately you’ve shown yourself up time and time again as being clueless so I just can’t take you seriously sorry. 🤡

It’s what spending your college years in a drunken stupor on somebody else’s coin gets you.

‘……. like a moth to Itchy’s flame ……’
Poll: Planet Swans or Planet Swans? Which one's you favourite.

Potter has a degree in Emotional Intelligence on 16:15 - Jun 5 with 1582 viewsBadlands

Potter has a degree in Emotional Intelligence on 12:43 - Jun 5 by Professor

For many people this would be better, including some HE elements as part of it. No reason other than the current economics of HE that people should not be doing work-related degrees in their workplace with the odd day at a University

A huge number of degrees include work placements schemes of one kind or another.
Placement for a year in relevant industry is the most common. Unfortunately because these positions are not paid and students are expected to work full hours their opportunities for part time work is also very limited.
Just saying.

Poll: Should the summer transfer window close before the season starts?

Potter has a degree in Emotional Intelligence on 17:18 - Jun 5 with 1529 viewsLoyal

Potter has a degree in Emotional Intelligence on 22:31 - Jun 4 by jacksfullaces

nah, just about marrying up the qualification to the job description.

so a degree in emotional intelligence required for what purpose in our club at this moment in time?

what graduate level skills are critical to the current scope of the role?

reckon huw has got an mba in strategic planning? perhaps he should do one part time?

education is a great thing, relevance is key, not just wheeling it out for a media soundbite a la the dossier etc

As has been explained on another thread, affective learning ( through experience ) and feelimg that emotion can be transferred in to any environment with willing participants. Being alone on stage singing brings a speciciic set of feelings as an example of Potter's Xmas show. Conquer them or learn to manage them and in all spheres of life where the world is watching you can calm the emotions, deal,with them and perform.

Learning through emotional experience is huge.

Nolan sympathiser, clout expert, personal friend of Leigh Dineen, advocate and enforcer of porridge swallows. The official inventor of the tit w@nk.
Poll: Who should be Swansea number 1

Potter has a degree in Emotional Intelligence on 18:22 - Jun 5 with 1501 viewsbryncochjack

Potter has a degree in Emotional Intelligence on 06:01 - Jun 5 by Glyn1

Rubbish. 20 year olds are putting themselves £30,000 in debt precisely because they do value getting a degree. They're harder working, and face a tougher time, than students from 20 or 30 years ago.

Judging by the "complexity" of work current university students are asked to complete plus the complete absence of tutorials where students used to be grilled about their work by lecturers in very small groups ( below ten depending on university and course) any idea that a current degree is comparable to thirty or forty years ago is complete nonsense.
Potter has a degree in Emotional Intelligence on 19:48 - Jun 5 with 1458 viewsairedale

I can get quite emotional.

But I’m not very intelligent though.
Potter has a degree in Emotional Intelligence on 20:34 - Jun 5 with 1432 viewsLoyal

I can see it now, players go to Huw moaning This isn't working ...
Huw speaks to Potter statimg whats been said ..
Potter replies ...
Yes it is ...

Hue walks away scratching his head.
Potter walks away knowing exactly what's happening.

Nolan sympathiser, clout expert, personal friend of Leigh Dineen, advocate and enforcer of porridge swallows. The official inventor of the tit w@nk.
Poll: Who should be Swansea number 1

Potter has a degree in Emotional Intelligence on 21:24 - Jun 5 with 1391 viewsmonmouth

Potter has a degree in Emotional Intelligence on 12:45 - Jun 5 by Professor

Some Master's Degrees are really not that taxing whilst others are. Some are just a money-making scam for Universities tbh

Indeed. many are the only thing that make some departments viable. That or taking on a large tail of undergraduates that have no place at a university and, despite paying (most dont see it like that, amazingly) never ever show up.

I don't believe that EI can be learnt in a course, but I do believe that emotionally intelligent people make better managers in every sphere. So let's hope he can put it into practice.

Poll: TRUST MEMBERS: What DID you vote in the, um, vote

Potter has a degree in Emotional Intelligence on 10:16 - Jun 6 with 1303 viewsAlfieMooresSon

I don't care if he's got the three degree's album, it's about as much use for managing a Championship team.

My concern is can he get the players out and the players in that we will need for this very important transition!!!
[Post edited 6 Jun 2018 10:18]
Potter has a degree in Emotional Intelligence on 13:43 - Jun 6 with 1259 viewsnantywatcher

Potter has a degree in Emotional Intelligence on 10:16 - Jun 6 by AlfieMooresSon

I don't care if he's got the three degree's album, it's about as much use for managing a Championship team.

My concern is can he get the players out and the players in that we will need for this very important transition!!!

Are you still putting dubbin on your football boots?
Potter has a degree in Emotional Intelligence on 13:48 - Jun 6 with 1255 viewsomarjack

Potter has a degree in Emotional Intelligence on 10:16 - Jun 6 by AlfieMooresSon

Why would you be concerned when we have Huw to take care of that? Hasn't he proved his capabilities in getting the best players with the most accessible prices?

No need to worry..Falkirk just finished a strong campaign finishing bottom 4th in Scotland's 2nd tier avoiding the drop to the Scottish League One. Many great talents to unearth.

Poll: England vs Croatia (who's going to win)

Potter has a degree in Emotional Intelligence on 16:46 - Jun 6 with 1212 viewsbluenile

Potter has a degree in Emotional Intelligence on 13:43 - Jun 6 by nantywatcher

Are you still putting dubbin on your football boots?

Touche!!!!.....................

Open the ipod bay doors Hal

Potter has a degree in Emotional Intelligence on 16:52 - Jun 6 with 1198 viewsDarran

Potter has a degree in Emotional Intelligence on 12:56 - Jun 5 by Joe_bradshaw

I don’t know whether his qualifications will be a big help to him here or not but I would rather he had those qualifications than he didn’t.

Good luck to him.

Emotional Rescue would be better.

The first ever recipient of a Planet Swans Lifetime Achievement Award.
Poll: Who’s got the most experts

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024