Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
D Day ... 74 Years Ago Today 08:22 - Jun 6 with 8274 viewstheloneranger

74 years ago today, tens of thousands of British, American, Canadian, European and other Commonwealth troops were undertaking the greatest military operation the world had ever seen.

For many, it would prove to be their last day...!!

Lest we forget.
[Post edited 6 Jun 2018 8:34]

Everyday above ground ... Is a good day! 😎

D Day ... 74 Years Ago Today on 21:30 - Jun 7 with 2311 viewsFieryJack

D Day ... 74 Years Ago Today on 16:58 - Jun 7 by Lohengrin

Entirely deliberate, tongue firmly in cheek as I’m sure you knew at first glance.

Being serious for a moment what I would deem my own personal view of what constitutes patriotism would align fairly exactly with the position that Michael Foot took, I have nothing whatever in common with likes of Dacre and the Tories.

Nice use of ‘poppycock’ too, by the way.

Interesting - You'll have to enlighten me, Loh, on Michael Foot's position, if you've got any references or quotations to hand.

Cheers.
D Day ... 74 Years Ago Today on 22:45 - Jun 7 with 2276 viewsDippy

D Day ... 74 Years Ago Today on 21:08 - Jun 7 by dickythorpe

Bloke in work with me, 23 years of age applying to go to the navy.....couldn't do 9 press ups in January!!!!!! I told him to shape up or he'll have no chance.
Failed his fitness test first time. Shocking!!!

I wouldn't mind joining the navy.. but I know exactly what they'd say before I even apply.

"Only men can join this elite unit"

"But I'm the only person in the world who can read at World standard without a female guzzling on my c*ck, whilst you make weird faces and start dribbling like a mongol attempting to figure it out"

"As I said boy, only men can join this unit"

All talkers and chokers.. and they know it.

Elite unit my a*se.

But in all seriousness, I'm too damaged to even consider it a possibility..
[Post edited 7 Jun 2018 23:23]

Poll: Cooper Out

D Day ... 74 Years Ago Today on 23:29 - Jun 7 with 2257 viewsTreforys_Jack

D Day ... 74 Years Ago Today on 22:45 - Jun 7 by Dippy

I wouldn't mind joining the navy.. but I know exactly what they'd say before I even apply.

"Only men can join this elite unit"

"But I'm the only person in the world who can read at World standard without a female guzzling on my c*ck, whilst you make weird faces and start dribbling like a mongol attempting to figure it out"

"As I said boy, only men can join this unit"

All talkers and chokers.. and they know it.

Elite unit my a*se.

But in all seriousness, I'm too damaged to even consider it a possibility..
[Post edited 7 Jun 2018 23:23]

Thread nicely derailed.
D Day ... 74 Years Ago Today on 09:58 - Jun 8 with 2200 viewsLohengrin

D Day ... 74 Years Ago Today on 21:30 - Jun 7 by FieryJack

Interesting - You'll have to enlighten me, Loh, on Michael Foot's position, if you've got any references or quotations to hand.

Cheers.

I was thinking specifically about his very vocal wartime campaigning for press freedom and against the suspension of the writ of habeas corpus (imprisonment without trial.)

“We simply cannot, cannot, allow a situation where young men are being sent out to fight and die for an Idea of freedom then stand idly by while its very foundations are undermined at home behind their back.”

I’ve pasted this clip up before in another context. It’s quite a lengthy segment but if you have the time watch between five minutes in and around ten. It’s a master class in public speaking and the issues he’s addressing then are just as important now.

An idea isn't responsible for those who believe in it.

D Day ... 74 Years Ago Today on 18:55 - Jun 8 with 2141 viewsFieryJack

D Day ... 74 Years Ago Today on 09:58 - Jun 8 by Lohengrin

I was thinking specifically about his very vocal wartime campaigning for press freedom and against the suspension of the writ of habeas corpus (imprisonment without trial.)

“We simply cannot, cannot, allow a situation where young men are being sent out to fight and die for an Idea of freedom then stand idly by while its very foundations are undermined at home behind their back.”

I’ve pasted this clip up before in another context. It’s quite a lengthy segment but if you have the time watch between five minutes in and around ten. It’s a master class in public speaking and the issues he’s addressing then are just as important now.

Thanks for digging that out, Loh.

Only just got around to logging on and watching it.

Good stuff.
D Day ... 74 Years Ago Today on 19:16 - Jun 8 with 2124 viewsJACKMANANDBOY

Back on Track, was in Normandy last weekend. The French are great at remembering this part of our history. Went to a village where the Americans paratroopers landed. Big ceremony, the 101st paratrooped in last weekend and a big celebration of two American medics who saved many lives on both sides using the village church as a hospital.
Went to the American Cemetery near Omaha beach, really difficult to come to terms with. There was a young American Soldier telling the story of two or three of the fallen from DDay standing by their graves. Brave, brave young men.
Anyone who is critical of our way of life needs to visit there.

Besian Idrizaj Forever a Jack
Poll: When will Duff Revert to 4 at the Back

D Day ... 74 Years Ago Today on 10:47 - Jun 9 with 2060 viewscontroversial_jack

D Day ... 74 Years Ago Today on 19:16 - Jun 8 by JACKMANANDBOY

Back on Track, was in Normandy last weekend. The French are great at remembering this part of our history. Went to a village where the Americans paratroopers landed. Big ceremony, the 101st paratrooped in last weekend and a big celebration of two American medics who saved many lives on both sides using the village church as a hospital.
Went to the American Cemetery near Omaha beach, really difficult to come to terms with. There was a young American Soldier telling the story of two or three of the fallen from DDay standing by their graves. Brave, brave young men.
Anyone who is critical of our way of life needs to visit there.

Not to lessen the contribution and sacrifice of the US, but for ever US casualty the Russians lost 67: 28 million is the latest estimate, staggering numbers.
D Day ... 74 Years Ago Today on 12:57 - Jun 9 with 2037 viewsLord_Bony

Never forget that supreme sacrifice.

Had it failed,our lives would be very different today.

PROUD RECIPIENT OF THE THIRD PLANET SWANS LIFETIME ACHIEVEMENT AWARD. "Per ardua ad astra"
Poll: iS tHERE lIFE aFTER dEATH

Login to get fewer ads

D Day ... 74 Years Ago Today on 13:12 - Jun 9 with 2022 viewsLord_Bony

D Day ... 74 Years Ago Today on 18:17 - Jun 6 by Flashberryjack

If the youth of today were around at the time of D day, we would be ruled by the Germans now......
[Post edited 6 Jun 2018 19:15]

That would probably apply to the German kids as well mind.

Europe is thankfully, much more mellow these days thank God.

PROUD RECIPIENT OF THE THIRD PLANET SWANS LIFETIME ACHIEVEMENT AWARD. "Per ardua ad astra"

D Day ... 74 Years Ago Today on 18:22 - Jun 9 with 1976 viewsJACKMANANDBOY

D Day ... 74 Years Ago Today on 10:47 - Jun 9 by controversial_jack

Not to lessen the contribution and sacrifice of the US, but for ever US casualty the Russians lost 67: 28 million is the latest estimate, staggering numbers.

Indeed, everyone a young life given. My old man always says the Germans lost the war taking on the Russians in the winter on Russian territory.
[Post edited 9 Jun 2018 18:24]

Besian Idrizaj Forever a Jack
Poll: When will Duff Revert to 4 at the Back

D Day ... 74 Years Ago Today on 11:55 - Jun 11 with 1899 viewscontroversial_jack

D Day ... 74 Years Ago Today on 18:22 - Jun 9 by JACKMANANDBOY

Indeed, everyone a young life given. My old man always says the Germans lost the war taking on the Russians in the winter on Russian territory.
[Post edited 9 Jun 2018 18:24]

The Russians destroyed the German armies in the east.At one stage the Russians put 13 armies against German army group centre. Russia had the resources and manpower, the bad weather helped of course, but it wasn't just down to the winter.German supplies lines were overstretched too
D Day ... 74 Years Ago Today on 13:15 - Jun 11 with 1890 viewsdickythorpe

D Day ... 74 Years Ago Today on 11:55 - Jun 11 by controversial_jack

The Russians destroyed the German armies in the east.At one stage the Russians put 13 armies against German army group centre. Russia had the resources and manpower, the bad weather helped of course, but it wasn't just down to the winter.German supplies lines were overstretched too

The world at WAR did an episode on stalingrad....the the Russians just watched.the Germans.freeze literally.
D Day ... 74 Years Ago Today on 14:27 - Jun 11 with 1874 viewsLord_Bony

D Day ... 74 Years Ago Today on 13:15 - Jun 11 by dickythorpe

The world at WAR did an episode on stalingrad....the the Russians just watched.the Germans.freeze literally.

Yes the same fate as napoleon bonaparte...the Russian winter is lethal to an invading army.

D Day ... 74 Years Ago Today on 10:18 - Jun 13 with 1813 viewscontroversial_jack

D Day ... 74 Years Ago Today on 14:27 - Jun 11 by Lord_Bony

Yes the same fate as napoleon bonaparte...the Russian winter is lethal to an invading army.

The Winter payed a part, but it was a combination of Russian resources,Russian determination German lines being overstretched and Hitlers silly mistakes that led to the destruction of the German army
D Day ... 74 Years Ago Today on 10:26 - Jun 13 with 1807 viewsLord_Bony

D Day ... 74 Years Ago Today on 10:18 - Jun 13 by controversial_jack

The Winter payed a part, but it was a combination of Russian resources,Russian determination German lines being overstretched and Hitlers silly mistakes that led to the destruction of the German army

In my opinion Hitler went insane and lost the plot in the end,as did Goering.

When he decided to take over the military strategy of the Third Reich, it was the beginning of the end.

He had an obsession with Russia and it cost him dearly.

Thankfully, we had the atomic bomb at the end or the Russians would have just kept going steamrolling their way through all of Europe.

D Day put a stop to that as our forces lay deeply entrenched in western Germany at the wars end.

D Day ... 74 Years Ago Today on 10:30 - Jun 13 with 1804 viewsmoonie

I've done the landing beaches several times .
When looking around the museum on Utah beach I was thinking as to how countries who stayed neutral feel about those countries having the guts to fight the Hitler curse .

I've never felt any love for Sweden ,Switzerland and Eire as a result . I can forgive Spain as Franco killed them but the others nah
D Day ... 74 Years Ago Today on 18:09 - Jun 13 with 1761 viewscontroversial_jack

D Day ... 74 Years Ago Today on 10:26 - Jun 13 by Lord_Bony

In my opinion Hitler went insane and lost the plot in the end,as did Goering.

When he decided to take over the military strategy of the Third Reich, it was the beginning of the end.

He had an obsession with Russia and it cost him dearly.

Thankfully, we had the atomic bomb at the end or the Russians would have just kept going steamrolling their way through all of Europe.

D Day put a stop to that as our forces lay deeply entrenched in western Germany at the wars end.

Churchill wanted to continue eastwards but Eisenhower called a halt; apparently Churchill was furious.I believe Eisenhower was correct as nothing could have stopped the Red Army on it's roll
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024