Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
D Day ... 74 Years Ago Today 08:22 - Jun 6 with 8104 viewstheloneranger

74 years ago today, tens of thousands of British, American, Canadian, European and other Commonwealth troops were undertaking the greatest military operation the world had ever seen.

For many, it would prove to be their last day...!!

Lest we forget.
[Post edited 6 Jun 2018 8:34]

Everyday above ground ... Is a good day! 😎

D Day ... 74 Years Ago Today on 20:30 - Jun 6 with 1718 viewsoh_tommy_tommy

True hero’s

Poll: DO you support the uk getting involved in Syria

D Day ... 74 Years Ago Today on 21:31 - Jun 6 with 1676 viewsFieryJack

Side note: I can remember when Hurricane Katrina devastated New Orleans a tv crew were boating along a flooded and largely deserted street when they came across this old black bloke nonchalantly standing in front of his house with his arms resting on the posts of his front gate.

He was waist deep in water.

The tv crew, concerned, aghast even, asked him if he needed any kind of help.

He replied something along the lines of:

"I don't need no help. I was on the Normandy beaches on D Day, and believe me, this just ain't nothin', man."

Brilliant. Laughed my socks off at the time.
D Day ... 74 Years Ago Today on 21:39 - Jun 6 with 1662 viewsbonymine

D Day ... 74 Years Ago Today on 21:31 - Jun 6 by FieryJack

Side note: I can remember when Hurricane Katrina devastated New Orleans a tv crew were boating along a flooded and largely deserted street when they came across this old black bloke nonchalantly standing in front of his house with his arms resting on the posts of his front gate.

He was waist deep in water.

The tv crew, concerned, aghast even, asked him if he needed any kind of help.

He replied something along the lines of:

"I don't need no help. I was on the Normandy beaches on D Day, and believe me, this just ain't nothin', man."

Brilliant. Laughed my socks off at the time.

Great story that puts it all into perspective 👍

Poll: Why is this site so quiet these days ?

D Day ... 74 Years Ago Today on 21:55 - Jun 6 with 1648 viewsFieryJack

A more controversial side note:

I get sick and tired of people going on about heroes and how today's generation would not be up to it etc. etc.

It's pure bo**ox.

I've never heard a veteran who's not felt awkward under the "hero" label. They were just blokes doing a damn awful shi**y job.

And most of them would have felt sheer terror in battle - many would have pi**ed themselves with fear - just as you and I would - just as countless other nation's troops would have.

There's nowt different about today's generation, either. If push came to shove, they'd get stuck in just the same.

Don't ever buy into this Sun/Mail "patriotic hero" bilge.

That said, I'll always remember and salute their sacrifice.

You can read about this stuff for hours - various battles from WW1 and 2 - but it becomes soul-destroying after a while eg. Ross Munro's report of the disastrous Dieppe Landings of 19 August 1942 - ordered by air-brushed "super hero" Churchill, in which 3000 + Canadians - mostly teenagers - were, predictably, annihilated by German coastal defences. Most of the poor buggers didn't even get time to use their weapons.

Absolutely pitiful to read about.
D Day ... 74 Years Ago Today on 21:57 - Jun 6 with 1646 viewsdameedna

My grandfather came off the beaches at D Day. He didnt go back to the front line after that. Became a very quiet man. Was allowed to keep his rifle and hat in the shed initiallt so that he might rerurn to duty. Divorce followed.
D Day ... 74 Years Ago Today on 22:03 - Jun 6 with 1636 viewsdickythorpe

"The real heroes are the ones we left behind" - an ex-commando said on a TV documentary I watched about 5 years ago.
[Post edited 6 Jun 2018 22:04]
D Day ... 74 Years Ago Today on 22:10 - Jun 6 with 1624 viewsNogginthenog

My late dad went over d day plus 4 at 19 years old. He drove a Kangaroo, a modified Sherman tank, the forerunner of the armoured personnel carriers. He fought in France Begium and Holland ferrying troops to the front line. In his later years he went to visit the places he had been in Holland. The Dutch people still treat them all as heroes, which they really were. I am infinitely proud of him and all those who fought.
D Day ... 74 Years Ago Today on 22:14 - Jun 6 with 1622 viewsjack2jack

D Day ... 74 Years Ago Today on 21:57 - Jun 6 by dameedna

My grandfather came off the beaches at D Day. He didnt go back to the front line after that. Became a very quiet man. Was allowed to keep his rifle and hat in the shed initiallt so that he might rerurn to duty. Divorce followed.

Without sounding patronising, that is very sad, but understandable in some ways given the horror's that must have been witnessed that day and throughout the conflict.
I trust I have worded this correctly and not offended by my comments, its a very emotive subject and very personal to each individual, brave man indeed.
[Post edited 6 Jun 2018 22:19]
Login to get fewer ads

D Day ... 74 Years Ago Today on 22:27 - Jun 6 with 1607 viewsDippy

D Day ... 74 Years Ago Today on 21:57 - Jun 6 by dameedna

The fear of what he saw and experienced, felt, and will continue to feel for the rest of his life..

His wife left him because she lacks empathy and understanding of what trauma he went through..

But I understand now.. women are a different ball game when it comes down to the psyche..

Men look good, show off their perceived superiority.. but if you ask any military man who's head has been through the old tumble dryer.. women are a different species all together.

I'm telling you 100%.. these women are warriors. They might not show it.. but appreciate her, because up stairs they're leagues ahead.

Poll: Cooper Out

D Day ... 74 Years Ago Today on 22:29 - Jun 6 with 1604 viewsTreforys_Jack

D Day ... 74 Years Ago Today on 22:10 - Jun 6 by Nogginthenog

My late dad went over d day plus 4 at 19 years old. He drove a Kangaroo, a modified Sherman tank, the forerunner of the armoured personnel carriers. He fought in France Begium and Holland ferrying troops to the front line. In his later years he went to visit the places he had been in Holland. The Dutch people still treat them all as heroes, which they really were. I am infinitely proud of him and all those who fought.

I've done a few trips but the best one was my very first about 5yrs ago, there was a D-Day veteran on the trip. He was immaculately turned out in his blazer, beret , service ribbon and medals. The welcome that gentleman had in every single place we visited was something to behold it really was. I don't think he spent a single Euro the whole 5 days. The kisses and hugs he received from the local female population, from teenagers to pensioners , i think he knew exactly what he was doing............
D Day ... 74 Years Ago Today on 00:42 - Jun 7 with 1541 viewsmajorraglan

We had a family holiday in France last year and spent the last 4 days in Normandy. I was born in the 60’s and the Second World War was still a relatively recent event and very much in the public focus, and war films such as The Longest Day increased our awareness. My teenage sons had a bit of interest in the history, but not a huge amount which I guess is a generation thing, maybe that will change as they grow up.
We stayed at a small hotel about a 150 yards from Pegasus Bridge where the Paras landed just before the main invasion, there is a small museum there. We also toured the beaches down as far as Arrowmanche and then back to Bayeux. Everywhere you go there are memorials to the fallen, walking through the cemetery in Bayeux and seeing small Welsh Dragon flags planted next to the headstones of fallen Welsh soldiers is truly humbling and it brought tears to my eyes. We caught the ferry back from Dieppe and before leaving we visited the beach and memorials, in the town. It was clear that the Canadians and Commandos on that raid took a real hiding from the German defences who had them pinned down and trapped on the beaches. Over 60% were killed, injured or captured in 10 hours.

I was out in Thailand in 1994 and went to visit the Bridge on the River Kwai at Kanchanburi, that is another very moving and humbling place. Thousand of Allied soldiers died building the railroad through the jungle in unbelievable conditions, the heat of the jungle, water, diseases, mozzies and Japanese made for a fatal combination. The film doesn’t do the hardship these guys faced on a daily basis justice.

May they Rest In Peace.
D Day ... 74 Years Ago Today on 00:59 - Jun 7 with 1537 viewsLohengrin

D Day ... 74 Years Ago Today on 21:55 - Jun 6 by FieryJack

A more controversial side note:

I get sick and tired of people going on about heroes and how today's generation would not be up to it etc. etc.

It's pure bo**ox.

I've never heard a veteran who's not felt awkward under the "hero" label. They were just blokes doing a damn awful shi**y job.

And most of them would have felt sheer terror in battle - many would have pi**ed themselves with fear - just as you and I would - just as countless other nation's troops would have.

There's nowt different about today's generation, either. If push came to shove, they'd get stuck in just the same.

Don't ever buy into this Sun/Mail "patriotic hero" bilge.

That said, I'll always remember and salute their sacrifice.

You can read about this stuff for hours - various battles from WW1 and 2 - but it becomes soul-destroying after a while eg. Ross Munro's report of the disastrous Dieppe Landings of 19 August 1942 - ordered by air-brushed "super hero" Churchill, in which 3000 + Canadians - mostly teenagers - were, predictably, annihilated by German coastal defences. Most of the poor buggers didn't even get time to use their weapons.

Absolutely pitiful to read about.

Don’t take this the wrong way, I’m sure you’re a nice chap and I’d like you in real life but could you start your own left thread for people like yourself on this, please?

An idea isn't responsible for those who believe in it.

D Day ... 74 Years Ago Today on 07:54 - Jun 7 with 1469 viewsoh_tommy_tommy

D Day ... 74 Years Ago Today on 00:59 - Jun 7 by Lohengrin

Don’t take this the wrong way, I’m sure you’re a nice chap and I’d like you in real life but could you start your own left thread for people like yourself on this, please?

“Left thread”

D Day ... 74 Years Ago Today on 09:18 - Jun 7 with 1445 viewsmoonie

Looking around the feckless knobs glued to mobiles and social media ,I'm not so sure.

This generation has no idea.

Whatsoever and it's truly lefty fashionable to denigrate the bravery of British soldiers . I could never understand the Left Corbyn obsession with Argie and Irish soldiers ,but there we go.

D Day guys died to give us this freedom....which we waste
D Day ... 74 Years Ago Today on 09:58 - Jun 7 with 1415 viewsdickythorpe

Moonie, these idiots are hard as nails with their knives, acid and guns....how would they fare in a trench?
Pooh everywhere I'd say.
D Day ... 74 Years Ago Today on 10:16 - Jun 7 with 1410 viewsLohengrin

D Day ... 74 Years Ago Today on 07:54 - Jun 7 by oh_tommy_tommy

“Left thread”

They are allowed, free speech and all that. Even for reds.

Let’s see: in a few short posts on a thread commemorating D Day he’s somehow managed to get in the response to Hurricane Katrina, how love of country is ‘bilge’ (he got mention of The Sun and Daily Mail in on that too, extra points there,) how soldiering is an “awful shitty job” where donning the uniform apparently causes uncontrollable incontinence and ending in a flourish with a side-swipe at Churchill.

By the light of The Morning Star he did quite well. Part of me was hoping he was going to make a third post and shoe-horn Doreen Lawrence in there, I could have cried HOUSE! then, Tom, collected a few bob and bought some chips on the way home.

D Day ... 74 Years Ago Today on 11:15 - Jun 7 with 1382 viewsdameedna

Not really mate. As you do as a teenager you sort of want your gramps to be a hero. He never talked about it. He was destroyed. However he married again and his daughter my aunt is a lovely person. My dad let me into the shed to prove how he had been there. It is a pretty shitty business soldiering. All i wanted to know was how many Germans he had taken. My grandma was amazing but couldnt cope with the shell of a man.
D Day ... 74 Years Ago Today on 11:55 - Jun 7 with 1364 viewsDippy

D Day ... 74 Years Ago Today on 11:15 - Jun 7 by dameedna

Not really mate. As you do as a teenager you sort of want your gramps to be a hero. He never talked about it. He was destroyed. However he married again and his daughter my aunt is a lovely person. My dad let me into the shed to prove how he had been there. It is a pretty shitty business soldiering. All i wanted to know was how many Germans he had taken. My grandma was amazing but couldnt cope with the shell of a man.

F*cking ell.. they've seriously got you all haven't they.. not a clue mate. Thank f*ck you got me mind..

Unless the women in your lives are proper dense.

Poll: Cooper Out

D Day ... 74 Years Ago Today on 16:12 - Jun 7 with 1320 viewsFieryJack

D Day ... 74 Years Ago Today on 10:16 - Jun 7 by Lohengrin

They are allowed, free speech and all that. Even for reds.

Let’s see: in a few short posts on a thread commemorating D Day he’s somehow managed to get in the response to Hurricane Katrina, how love of country is ‘bilge’ (he got mention of The Sun and Daily Mail in on that too, extra points there,) how soldiering is an “awful shitty job” where donning the uniform apparently causes uncontrollable incontinence and ending in a flourish with a side-swipe at Churchill.

By the light of The Morning Star he did quite well. Part of me was hoping he was going to make a third post and shoe-horn Doreen Lawrence in there, I could have cried HOUSE! then, Tom, collected a few bob and bought some chips on the way home.

Hmm, that's a bit of dramatic, and probably deliberate, misconstruing of what I wrote, Loh.

I grant that my second post has a bit of a leftist slant, but it's hard for me to resist slipping into that mode given the huge right wing bias on the Non-Football Forum.

What irks me is the strong implication that anyone who is on the Left is automatically, by definition, un-patriotic and congenitally incapable of supporting the Armed Forces. In fact, they're probably borderline traitors.

This is utter poppycock. I will not be cowed by such cr*p.

The Mail - and thank God Dacre's gone - sneakily use the idea of patriotism as a stick to beat people on the left with - a cheap, nasty tactic.

The reference to the New Orleans vet was entirely justified.

I never said soldiering was a shitty job, nor that wearing the uniform caused incontinence.

The utter chaos and unpredictability of serious front-line violence could, I imagine, cause all sorts of reactions: a huge adrenalin rush, reckless & wonderful acts of bravery, cowering fear, anguish, and the pi**ing of ones pants - possibly all in quick succession, and maybe not necessarily in that order.

I'll give you the side-swipe at Churchill, though. Had to be done.

I've nothing whatsoever to say about Doreen Lawrence, though.

Not on my radar.

Never has been.
D Day ... 74 Years Ago Today on 16:58 - Jun 7 with 1301 viewsLohengrin

D Day ... 74 Years Ago Today on 16:12 - Jun 7 by FieryJack

Hmm, that's a bit of dramatic, and probably deliberate, misconstruing of what I wrote, Loh.

I grant that my second post has a bit of a leftist slant, but it's hard for me to resist slipping into that mode given the huge right wing bias on the Non-Football Forum.

What irks me is the strong implication that anyone who is on the Left is automatically, by definition, un-patriotic and congenitally incapable of supporting the Armed Forces. In fact, they're probably borderline traitors.

This is utter poppycock. I will not be cowed by such cr*p.

The Mail - and thank God Dacre's gone - sneakily use the idea of patriotism as a stick to beat people on the left with - a cheap, nasty tactic.

The reference to the New Orleans vet was entirely justified.

I never said soldiering was a shitty job, nor that wearing the uniform caused incontinence.

The utter chaos and unpredictability of serious front-line violence could, I imagine, cause all sorts of reactions: a huge adrenalin rush, reckless & wonderful acts of bravery, cowering fear, anguish, and the pi**ing of ones pants - possibly all in quick succession, and maybe not necessarily in that order.

I'll give you the side-swipe at Churchill, though. Had to be done.

I've nothing whatsoever to say about Doreen Lawrence, though.

Not on my radar.

Never has been.

Entirely deliberate, tongue firmly in cheek as I’m sure you knew at first glance.

Being serious for a moment what I would deem my own personal view of what constitutes patriotism would align fairly exactly with the position that Michael Foot took, I have nothing whatever in common with likes of Dacre and the Tories.

Nice use of ‘poppycock’ too, by the way.

D Day ... 74 Years Ago Today on 17:48 - Jun 7 with 1284 viewscanhecatchit

Yeah, my Late Father was there also. Landed on the Sword Beaches along with the Canadians. He was driving an Ammunition Lorry.

He and all his brother all 5 of them that went off to fight, all came back home thankfully, his Brother was also stuck on the beaches at Dunkirk a few years earlier.

Swansea City, my one and only love , oh and then there's the Wife

D Day ... 74 Years Ago Today on 19:34 - Jun 7 with 1255 viewspeenemunde

They were much tougher than today’s generation.
Why, because life itself was tougher back then.
They would be much more physically fit than today’s youth too.
Today’s generation of snowflakes, wouldn’t be able to do what they done.
D Day ... 74 Years Ago Today on 19:50 - Jun 7 with 1253 viewsoh_tommy_tommy

D Day ... 74 Years Ago Today on 19:34 - Jun 7 by peenemunde

They were much tougher than today’s generation.
Why, because life itself was tougher back then.
They would be much more physically fit than today’s youth too.
Today’s generation of snowflakes, wouldn’t be able to do what they done.

Wow really

Nice tribute to our soldiers

D Day ... 74 Years Ago Today on 20:01 - Jun 7 with 1240 viewspeenemunde

D Day ... 74 Years Ago Today on 19:50 - Jun 7 by oh_tommy_tommy

Wow really

Nice tribute to our soldiers

Most were conscripts, the B.E.F was relatively small.
I’m not talking about the small numbers who currently serve, even though the army, runs a pre- training fitness course, to get recruits just up to speed, before they begin basic training, because fitness levels of would be recruits today are shocking.
D Day ... 74 Years Ago Today on 21:08 - Jun 7 with 1209 viewsdickythorpe

Bloke in work with me, 23 years of age applying to go to the navy.....couldn't do 9 press ups in January!!!!!! I told him to shape up or he'll have no chance.
Failed his fitness test first time. Shocking!!!
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024