Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
SHROUDS OF THE SOMME 11:00 - Jun 8 with 1213 viewstheloneranger

We should never forget them

To mark 100 years since the end of the First World War, 72,396 shrouded figures will be laid out in rows, shoulder to shoulder to physically represent each of the British Empire servicemen killed at the Battle of the Somme who have no known grave, many of whose bodies were never recovered from the battlefields.

Planned for November 2018, the display will be extraordinary in its impact and recognition of those who made the ultimate sacrifice.

Somerset artist Rob Heard is spending 15,000 hours creating each shrouded figure individually.

https://shroudsofthesomme.com/home-page/

http://www.queenelizabetholympicpark.co.uk/whats-on/events/2018/11/shrouds-of-th
[Post edited 8 Jun 2018 11:03]

Everyday above ground ... Is a good day! 😎

SHROUDS OF THE SOMME on 11:09 - Jun 8 with 1200 viewsLohengrin

It’s important to underline that figure just represents those who have no known grave, of those bodies unrecovered, a fraction of the dead of the Somme. The macabre mathematics of the 1916 campaign are numbing. Almost impossible to comprehend the scale of it all.

An idea isn't responsible for those who believe in it.

SHROUDS OF THE SOMME on 11:18 - Jun 8 with 1190 viewsmonmouth

I agree wholly that it is numbing and that we should remember. The main reason we should remember is so that we don't senselessly condemn so many innocent people to pointless and horrendous deaths in the name of 'patriotism' or political ends ever again. Sadly we still do with knobs on. This is what makes their sacrifice all the more sad. It achieved absolutely nothing. It sickens me and makes me genuinely weep.

Poll: TRUST MEMBERS: What DID you vote in the, um, vote

SHROUDS OF THE SOMME on 11:32 - Jun 8 with 1176 viewsLohengrin

SHROUDS OF THE SOMME on 11:18 - Jun 8 by monmouth

I agree wholly that it is numbing and that we should remember. The main reason we should remember is so that we don't senselessly condemn so many innocent people to pointless and horrendous deaths in the name of 'patriotism' or political ends ever again. Sadly we still do with knobs on. This is what makes their sacrifice all the more sad. It achieved absolutely nothing. It sickens me and makes me genuinely weep.

A mere twenty four years after the Battle of the Somme spokesmen for The Peace Pledge Union were interned, imprisoned without trial, on the orders of the Home Office for stating in print exactly the sentiment you have expressed here. In fact you have just unwittingly conjured almost a verbatim quote.

Sobering thought, isn’t it?

An idea isn't responsible for those who believe in it.

SHROUDS OF THE SOMME on 13:55 - Jun 8 with 1116 viewstheloneranger

Not forgetting the 1 Million horses, mules and donkeys who served in WW1, only 62K making it back home.

"War Horse Memorial: New statue at Ascot Racecourse honours heroic beasts of First World War"

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/war-horse-memorial-ascot-racecou

Everyday above ground ... Is a good day! 😎

SHROUDS OF THE SOMME on 14:35 - Jun 8 with 1091 viewssquarebear

SHROUDS OF THE SOMME on 13:55 - Jun 8 by theloneranger

Not forgetting the 1 Million horses, mules and donkeys who served in WW1, only 62K making it back home.

"War Horse Memorial: New statue at Ascot Racecourse honours heroic beasts of First World War"

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/war-horse-memorial-ascot-racecou

Forgive my use of the word, because it feels wholly inappropriate given the subject matter, but that tribute is lovely.
SHROUDS OF THE SOMME on 20:14 - Jun 8 with 1019 viewsjack2jack

What an amazing thing to do, in honour of these heros who laid down their lives so selflessly.
A fitting tribute to all who lost their lives, but we're never reunited with their loved ones.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024