Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Leave.EU 'downplayed Russian links' 11:15 - Jun 10 with 11367 viewsShaky

Leave.EU 'downplayed Russian links'

BBC, 10 June 2018

The founder of Leave.EU, Arron Banks, has confirmed he will appear before MPs this week to answer new allegations about his links with Russia.

It has been reported that Mr Banks, who bankrolled the unofficial leave campaign, had more contact with Russian officials than he previously admitted.

The allegations come as MPs investigate accusations Russia attempted to influence the EU referendum.

Mr Banks has suggested he is the victim of "a political witch-hunt".'Boozy lunches'

Since Britain voted to leave the EU in June 2016, questions have been raised about Leave.EU campaign and its chief backer Mr Banks, as well as the possible influence of Russia on the referendum result.

The Sunday Times reports Mr Banks had three meetings with the Russian ambassador to the UK. In his book, The Bad Boys of Brexit, Mr Banks had previously admitted to only one.

The millionaire Brexit backer told the paper: "I had two boozy lunches with the Russian ambassador and another cup of tea with him. Bite me.

Full story -- for now: https://www.bbc.com/news/amp/uk-politics-44428115?

Misology -- It's a bitch
Poll: Greatest PS Troll Hunter of all time

Leave.EU 'downplayed Russian links' on 16:11 - Jul 21 with 1470 viewsShaky

Leave.EU 'downplayed Russian links' on 15:50 - Jul 21 by exiledclaseboy

Do we elect the monarch and the House of Lords? They’re as much a part of the U.K. legislature as the Commission is of the EU one.

EU commission is appointed by democratically elected EU governments. What exactly are these people expecting?

Misology -- It's a bitch

Leave.EU 'downplayed Russian links' on 16:20 - Jul 21 with 1464 viewsDJack

Leave.EU 'downplayed Russian links' on 16:11 - Jul 21 by Shaky

EU commission is appointed by democratically elected EU governments. What exactly are these people expecting?

...EU politicians to side with the UK in all matters. If not, they are unfair, unelected eurocrats who need a bloody nose etc.

It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring. - Carl Sagan

Leave.EU 'downplayed Russian links' on 16:21 - Jul 21 with 1462 viewsShaky

Cake thieves.

Misology -- It's a bitch

Leave.EU 'downplayed Russian links' on 18:50 - Jul 21 with 1412 viewsJack_Meoff

Personally I was going to vote remain until I felt compelled to follow 200+ new Twitter accounts that coincidentally didn't use many conjunctions in their tweets. I then voted leave.

I'm kicking myself, absolutely tamping.

If you want a vision of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face--forever.

Leave.EU 'downplayed Russian links' on 19:05 - Jul 21 with 1398 viewsBadlands

Leave.EU 'downplayed Russian links' on 18:50 - Jul 21 by Jack_Meoff

Personally I was going to vote remain until I felt compelled to follow 200+ new Twitter accounts that coincidentally didn't use many conjunctions in their tweets. I then voted leave.

???
Just goes to show referendums should never be taken as a directive.
And just 37% for the motion in an advisory situation should never be used to excuse 2 years of non-government and looking forward to further mayhem and downfall.

Poll: Should the summer transfer window close before the season starts?

Leave.EU 'downplayed Russian links' on 21:01 - Jul 21 with 1370 viewsShaky

Leave.EU 'downplayed Russian links' on 18:50 - Jul 21 by Jack_Meoff

Did you know I am not in any way affected by advertising?

Companies under serious pressure and scrutiny to deliver results spend hundreds of billions annually on advertising, but it simply doesn't work on me at all.

And if you believe that I have a couple of bridges I'd like to sell you.

Misology -- It's a bitch

Leave.EU 'downplayed Russian links' on 21:16 - Jul 21 with 1357 viewsNookiejack

Government's pro-EU publicity blitz gave Remain an unfair advantage in the referendum, report suggests

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2018/07/21/governments-pro-eu-publicity-bli
Leave.EU 'downplayed Russian links' on 21:18 - Jul 21 with 1354 viewsNookiejack

Leave.EU 'downplayed Russian links' on 21:16 - Jul 21 by Nookiejack

Government's pro-EU publicity blitz gave Remain an unfair advantage in the referendum, report suggests

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2018/07/21/governments-pro-eu-publicity-bli

“A £9.3m pro-EU publicity blitz by David Cameron's government in the run-up to the Brexit referendum gave the Remain side an unfair advantage, the like of which should be outlawed in future votes, an independent commission has suggested.

In a major report, a cross-party panel called for a significant extension of restrictions banning ministers from using unlimited amounts of public money in favour of one side of a debate before the final month of a campaign. The Independent Commission on Referendums, whose members include Dominic Grieve, the pro-Remain former attorney general, and Gisela Stuart, who co-chaired the official Leave campaign, also recommended that the elections watchdog should be able to seek a court injunction stopping the distribution of any material that would fall foul of the new rules.
Mr Cameron was heavily criticised by pro-Brexit campaigners in April 2016 when his government issued a leaflet to all households setting out why remaining in the EU was the "best decision" for the country.

In its report, which will be discussed by the Commons public administration committee on Tuesday, the commission states: "Less than three months before the EU referendum, the UK government spent £9.3 million of public funds distributing a leaflet entitled ‘Why the government believes that voting to remain in the EU is the best decision for the UK’, the purpose of which, it claimed, was ‘to help the public make an informed decision in the upcoming EU referendum’."
Login to get fewer ads

Leave.EU 'downplayed Russian links' on 21:20 - Jul 21 with 1350 viewsJack_Meoff

Leave.EU 'downplayed Russian links' on 21:01 - Jul 21 by Shaky

Did you know I am not in any way affected by advertising?

Companies under serious pressure and scrutiny to deliver results spend hundreds of billions annually on advertising, but it simply doesn't work on me at all.

And if you believe that I have a couple of bridges I'd like to sell you.

Want to buy a pair of sunglasses Shakes?

'Propaganda' was written by Edward Bernays in 1928. Once you recognise the snake oil you at least give yourself a half chance.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Propaganda_(book)

Edit: unless the bridges are Jeff and Beau I'm not interested.

[Post edited 21 Jul 2018 21:28]

If you want a vision of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face--forever.

Leave.EU 'downplayed Russian links' on 21:26 - Jul 21 with 1340 viewsShaky

Leave.EU 'downplayed Russian links' on 21:16 - Jul 21 by Nookiejack

I have only read the headline but if the conclusion is correct as reported it is obviously bollocks.

The remain side was consistently ahead in the opinion polls.

If the dreary user unfriendly material the government put out gave Remain an advantage none of us would be spending any time on this dangerous Brexit nonsense.

Misology -- It's a bitch

Leave.EU 'downplayed Russian links' on 21:27 - Jul 21 with 1338 viewsShaky

Leave.EU 'downplayed Russian links' on 21:20 - Jul 21 by Jack_Meoff

Want to buy a pair of sunglasses Shakes?

'Propaganda' was written by Edward Bernays in 1928. Once you recognise the snake oil you at least give yourself a half chance.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Propaganda_(book)

Edit: unless the bridges are Jeff and Beau I'm not interested.

Believe it or not advertisers have a psychological model of you, and know how to reach you.

Misology -- It's a bitch

Leave.EU 'downplayed Russian links' on 21:34 - Jul 21 with 1329 viewsJack_Meoff

Leave.EU 'downplayed Russian links' on 21:27 - Jul 21 by Shaky

Believe it or not advertisers have a psychological model of you, and know how to reach you.

I absolutely wouldn't dispute that mate. It would be naive to even try. Like I said, it's about recognising the snake oil whenever possible. The book I mentioned was written in 1928; consider the technological advancements and hours studied in human behaviour (and modification of) since then. I guess there's no escape from the 'matrix' it's just about degrees of separation.

Leave.EU 'downplayed Russian links' on 22:15 - Jul 21 with 1312 viewsJack_Meoff

Leave.EU 'downplayed Russian links' on 21:27 - Jul 21 by Shaky

This is what I was up to this afternoon Shakes. Growing real food for my family. Enjoying the view. Listening to the birds. (Not the Byrds, in case of confusion.) Sounding like an asthmatic chimp. Not spending bullsh*t fiat currency on bollocks I don't need. Avoiding the snake oil.

No escape? Perhaps not. But recognising it is a start.

[Post edited 21 Jul 2018 22:27]

Leave.EU 'downplayed Russian links' on 07:53 - Jul 22 with 1261 viewsShaky

Leave.EU 'downplayed Russian links' on 22:15 - Jul 21 by Jack_Meoff

This is what I was up to this afternoon Shakes. Growing real food for my family. Enjoying the view. Listening to the birds. (Not the Byrds, in case of confusion.) Sounding like an asthmatic chimp. Not spending bullsh*t fiat currency on bollocks I don't need. Avoiding the snake oil.

No escape? Perhaps not. But recognising it is a start.

[Post edited 21 Jul 2018 22:27]

We clearly disagree on a number of important issues intellectually, but I have been attracted to more ascetic way of life for some years and am genuinely somewhat envious of the lifestyle you are pursuing.

Good luck to you.

Misology -- It's a bitch

Leave.EU 'downplayed Russian links' on 08:17 - Jul 22 with 1246 viewsNookiejack

Leave.EU 'downplayed Russian links' on 21:26 - Jul 21 by Shaky

I have only read the headline but if the conclusion is correct as reported it is obviously bollocks.

The remain side was consistently ahead in the opinion polls.

If the dreary user unfriendly material the government put out gave Remain an advantage none of us would be spending any time on this dangerous Brexit nonsense.

£9.3m was spent by the Government on the Remain campaign.

Whether it was dreary and user unfriendly is an issue for the Remain campaign.

The fact is the Government spent £9.3m on the Remain campaign and this was not included in the Electoral Commission figures.
Leave.EU 'downplayed Russian links' on 08:48 - Jul 22 with 1230 viewsNookiejack

This is more of an issue than the OP

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/brexit-poll-voters-turn-to-far-right-boris-jo

Yougov poll in Sunday Times today

Theresa May is facing an unprecedented political crisis, according to a new poll that reveals voters are implacably opposed to her Brexit plan and are prepared to turn to Ukip or parties of the far right.

In a survey that will spark unease in Downing Street, the YouGov poll found that the public believes Boris Johnson, the former foreign secretary, is better placed to negotiate with Brussels and lead the Conservatives into the next election.

It highlights how voters are polarising, with growing numbers alienated from the two main parties. About 38% would vote for a new party on the right that was committed to Brexit, while 24% are prepared to support an explicitly far-right anti-immigrant, anti-Islam party.

One in three voters are prepared to…
Leave.EU 'downplayed Russian links' on 09:23 - Jul 22 with 1221 viewsexiledclaseboy

Leave.EU 'downplayed Russian links' on 08:17 - Jul 22 by Nookiejack

£9.3m was spent by the Government on the Remain campaign.

Whether it was dreary and user unfriendly is an issue for the Remain campaign.

The fact is the Government spent £9.3m on the Remain campaign and this was not included in the Electoral Commission figures.

Tha money was spent before the campaign began. It was a morally dubious use of the civil service but not illegal.

Poll: Tory leader

Leave.EU 'downplayed Russian links' on 09:42 - Jul 22 with 1211 viewsNookiejack

Leave.EU 'downplayed Russian links' on 09:23 - Jul 22 by exiledclaseboy

Tha money was spent before the campaign began. It was a morally dubious use of the civil service but not illegal.

Yes it wasn’t illegal however the

‘cross-party panel called for a significant extension of restrictions banning ministers from using unlimited amounts of public money in favour of one side of a debate before the final month of a campaign. The Independent Commission on Referendums, whose members include Dominic Grieve, the pro-Remain former attorney general, and Gisela Stuart, who co-chaired the official Leave campaign, also recommended that the elections watchdog should be able to seek a court injunction stopping the distribution of any material that would fall foul of the new rules.’

The independent commission concluded that these public funds used have the Remain campaign an unfair advantage.
Leave.EU 'downplayed Russian links' on 09:47 - Jul 22 with 1209 viewsexiledclaseboy

Leave.EU 'downplayed Russian links' on 09:42 - Jul 22 by Nookiejack

Yes it wasn’t illegal however the

‘cross-party panel called for a significant extension of restrictions banning ministers from using unlimited amounts of public money in favour of one side of a debate before the final month of a campaign. The Independent Commission on Referendums, whose members include Dominic Grieve, the pro-Remain former attorney general, and Gisela Stuart, who co-chaired the official Leave campaign, also recommended that the elections watchdog should be able to seek a court injunction stopping the distribution of any material that would fall foul of the new rules.’

The independent commission concluded that these public funds used have the Remain campaign an unfair advantage.

Right so not illlegal, unlike the Leave campaign’s actions, which were.

As for the remain campaign having an “ unfair advantage” we’ll that didn’t really work out well for them, did it?

Leave.EU 'downplayed Russian links' on 10:46 - Jul 22 with 1184 viewsNookiejack

Leave.EU 'downplayed Russian links' on 09:47 - Jul 22 by exiledclaseboy

Right so not illlegal, unlike the Leave campaign’s actions, which were.

As for the remain campaign having an “ unfair advantage” we’ll that didn’t really work out well for them, did it?

Yes and the Remainers still don’t get it

Even with Cameron using £9.3m of public funds to support the Leave campaign - the people voted to leave the EU.

17.4m people voted to leave in a vote which I think had the third highest turnout since the war.
Leave.EU 'downplayed Russian links' on 11:36 - Jul 22 with 1164 viewsShaky

Leave.EU 'downplayed Russian links' on 10:46 - Jul 22 by Nookiejack

Even with Cameron using £9.3m of public funds to support the Leave campaign - the people voted to leave the EU.

17.4m people voted to leave in a vote which I think had the third highest turnout since the war.

"17.4m people voted to leave" you say.

" in . . the third highest turnout since the war." you continue.

But to be clear those 17.4m people represented approximately a third of all those eligible to vote.

Let me repeat; when you say the people vote to leave, you really mean a third of the people voted to leave.

Misology -- It's a bitch

Leave.EU 'downplayed Russian links' on 11:40 - Jul 22 with 1163 viewsexiledclaseboy

Leave.EU 'downplayed Russian links' on 10:46 - Jul 22 by Nookiejack

I love the way you lot bang in about “the people have spoken” and throw around the 17m figure while conveniently not mentioning the 16m who voted the other way. Yes, leave got more votes but please stop pretending it was an overwhelming popular mandate because it quite plainly wasn’t. Especially not for the kind of hapless farce that’s been served up by this government ever since.

Leave.EU 'downplayed Russian links' on 13:54 - Jul 22 with 1144 viewslondonlisa2001

Leave.EU 'downplayed Russian links' on 11:40 - Jul 22 by exiledclaseboy

I love the way you lot bang in about “the people have spoken” and throw around the 17m figure while conveniently not mentioning the 16m who voted the other way. Yes, leave got more votes but please stop pretending it was an overwhelming popular mandate because it quite plainly wasn’t. Especially not for the kind of hapless farce that’s been served up by this government ever since.

The ‘people’ voted for a expedition ship to be called Boaty McBoatface as well. Of course the government ignored it as it recognised the spectacular stupidity of making ourselves a laughing stock.
Leave.EU 'downplayed Russian links' on 19:36 - Jul 22 with 1108 viewsBadlands

It seems the people who don't like the laws don't like the laws that lock up criminals don't like the laws on spending and elections either.
Brexit is a crock that people don't want.
37% in 2016 with no knowledge of what it meant of what the consequences would be.
Leave, it's promoters and sponsored lied, cheated and broke the law.
From a club to a banana republic these events would be nought to force a re-run.
Given we now know leaving will affect us financially in ways 2008 only scratched at has made people re-evaluate priorities.
Leave with no deal 2 1/2 times the impact of 2008.
Leave, no deal and no payment to the EU ???? Very few independent countries would trade with a partner they couldn't trust and would be in the process of being dragged screaming and picking through the international courts.
Remain has a serious problem - too many are educated and polite when politicians only listen to empty loud mouth gobshytes like Garage and Johnson.

Poll: Should the summer transfer window close before the season starts?

Leave.EU 'downplayed Russian links' on 22:01 - Jul 22 with 1084 viewsNookiejack

Leave.EU 'downplayed Russian links' on 11:40 - Jul 22 by exiledclaseboy

I have posted that there should definitely be a compromise to reflect the 16m and that it was such a close 52% to 48% split.

The thing is you don’t concede 50% of your position away, before the upcoming negotiations start - otherwise you only end up with 25% of the position you initially wanted, instead of 50%.

The Chequers position seemed to be the compromise position, but at the end of the negotioans - not the start.

We have already conceded the sequencing of the negotiations, £39bn payment before the upcoming negotiations start.

17.4m voted to leave and I understand that this was the 3rd highest postwar turnout, this in my view should be respected.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024