Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Fao Irishswan 546: W. B. Yeats 15:59 - Jun 13 with 3922 viewsLohengrin

Quick question for you, though if you don’t feel qualified to attempt an answer please don’t feel under any obligation: W. B Yeats. How is he regarded in the Ireland of 2018? Is he still widely read and taught/studied?

I’ve been dipping in and out of his writings quite a bit of late and I was just curious as to his current standing in his homeland?

An idea isn't responsible for those who believe in it.

Fao Irishswan 546: W. B. Yeats on 18:08 - Jun 13 with 3384 viewsdickythorpe

The Irish don't care much for.cricket.Loh.
Fao Irishswan 546: W. B. Yeats on 18:16 - Jun 13 with 3375 viewsSwanjaxs

Fao Irishswan 546: W. B. Yeats on 18:08 - Jun 13 by dickythorpe

The Irish don't care much for.cricket.Loh.

I read "Fly fishing" by JR Hartley once, good read

You might think I've forgotten, but one day, when you least expect it, my time will come.
Poll: Celtic and Rangers should be fast tracked into the Championship ASAP

Fao Irishswan 546: W. B. Yeats on 18:23 - Jun 13 with 3370 viewsirishswan546

Not really my area of expertise to be honest, Its 15 years since was in secondary school and we didn't study any of his stuff then. Kinda depends on the teacher and whats on the plans for the year. From a general public point of view, the way society is nowadays we're more concerned about tv, movie, sport and music stars than the past, which I myself am guilty off, sad I know. Maybe in other areas of the country people might have opinions of him. Hopefully someone else from Ireland can give you more insight than I can.
Fao Irishswan 546: W. B. Yeats on 19:04 - Jun 13 with 3334 viewsKilkennyjack

All changed, changed utterly:
A terrible beauty is born.

☘️ 🙏🏿

Beware of the Risen People

Fao Irishswan 546: W. B. Yeats on 19:08 - Jun 13 with 3329 viewsjack2jack

Fao Irishswan 546: W. B. Yeats on 18:16 - Jun 13 by Swanjaxs

I read "Fly fishing" by JR Hartley once, good read

Come on SJ your just baiting the OP now!
Fao Irishswan 546: W. B. Yeats on 19:56 - Jun 13 with 3293 viewsmoonie

Great poet .
Fao Irishswan 546: W. B. Yeats on 09:17 - Jun 14 with 3206 viewsGreatBritton

The centre will not hold.

Not with our midfield anyway
Fao Irishswan 546: W. B. Yeats on 09:55 - Jun 14 with 3192 viewsmagicdaps10

My wife hails from Donegal and sister in law lives in Sligo. I regularly pass his resting site......Yeats restaurant is top notch mind.

There is no real play on him there in regards of his work with the local people.

Poll: Are the owners doing enough for Swansea City

Login to get fewer ads

Fao Irishswan 546: W. B. Yeats on 15:09 - Jun 14 with 3149 viewsLohengrin

Fao Irishswan 546: W. B. Yeats on 18:23 - Jun 13 by irishswan546

Not really my area of expertise to be honest, Its 15 years since was in secondary school and we didn't study any of his stuff then. Kinda depends on the teacher and whats on the plans for the year. From a general public point of view, the way society is nowadays we're more concerned about tv, movie, sport and music stars than the past, which I myself am guilty off, sad I know. Maybe in other areas of the country people might have opinions of him. Hopefully someone else from Ireland can give you more insight than I can.

Thank you.

Fao Irishswan 546: W. B. Yeats on 15:16 - Jun 14 with 3145 viewsLohengrin

Fao Irishswan 546: W. B. Yeats on 09:17 - Jun 14 by GreatBritton

The centre will not hold.

Not with our midfield anyway

The Second Coming is probably, almost certainly, the most influential poem of the twentieth century. It seems a shame that the man himself seems somehow to have fallen between the cracks.

Edit - I should have said short poem as The Wasteland is likely the most famous, if least understood, poem of the twentieth century.
[Post edited 14 Jun 2018 15:18]

Fao Irishswan 546: W. B. Yeats on 14:22 - Jun 23 with 3030 viewsGreatBritton

Fao Irishswan 546: W. B. Yeats on 15:16 - Jun 14 by Lohengrin

The Second Coming is probably, almost certainly, the most influential poem of the twentieth century. It seems a shame that the man himself seems somehow to have fallen between the cracks.

Edit - I should have said short poem as The Wasteland is likely the most famous, if least understood, poem of the twentieth century.

I understand it. I think I prefer Prufrock though,oddly.
Fao Irishswan 546: W. B. Yeats on 16:34 - Jun 23 with 2998 viewsLohengrin

Fao Irishswan 546: W. B. Yeats on 14:22 - Jun 23 by GreatBritton

I understand it. I think I prefer Prufrock though,oddly.

One of my dogs used to race under the name ‘J. Alfred’ years ago!

Although to the best of my knowledge we’ve never met it’s a curious thing that both of our frames of reference appear to run as parallel as they do. Must be something in the water or the beer in this neck of the woods.

Fao Irishswan 546: W. B. Yeats on 18:09 - Jun 24 with 2915 viewsGreatBritton

Fao Irishswan 546: W. B. Yeats on 16:34 - Jun 23 by Lohengrin

One of my dogs used to race under the name ‘J. Alfred’ years ago!

Although to the best of my knowledge we’ve never met it’s a curious thing that both of our frames of reference appear to run as parallel as they do. Must be something in the water or the beer in this neck of the woods.

I think we both had a grammar school education.
How's your knowledge of Latin?
Fao Irishswan 546: W. B. Yeats on 16:36 - Jun 25 with 2856 viewsLohengrin

Fao Irishswan 546: W. B. Yeats on 18:09 - Jun 24 by GreatBritton

I think we both had a grammar school education.
How's your knowledge of Latin?

Passable if rather rusty.

Fao Irishswan 546: W. B. Yeats on 19:50 - Jun 25 with 2823 viewsDafyddHuw

Fao Irishswan 546: W. B. Yeats on 15:16 - Jun 14 by Lohengrin

"The Second Coming is probably, almost certainly, the most influential poem of the twentieth century. "

No that'd be "Beasley Street" - Dr. John Cooper Clarke.

And my justification would be just as valid as yours.
Fao Irishswan 546: W. B. Yeats on 20:58 - Jun 25 with 2793 viewsLohengrin

Fao Irishswan 546: W. B. Yeats on 19:50 - Jun 25 by DafyddHuw

"The Second Coming is probably, almost certainly, the most influential poem of the twentieth century. "

No that'd be "Beasley Street" - Dr. John Cooper Clarke.

And my justification would be just as valid as yours.

Spell it out then. Don’t get me wrong, if that’s your thing then great, you’ll get no arguments from me, but if you’re saying that it has made a greater impact on the course of modern letters then you are going to have to explain your thinking.

Fao Irishswan 546: W. B. Yeats on 21:07 - Jun 25 with 2787 viewsexiledclaseboy

We went to Kilmainham Gaol in Dublin yesterday. A fascinating and sobering place.

Poll: Tory leader

Fao Irishswan 546: W. B. Yeats on 10:21 - Jun 27 with 2681 viewsDafyddHuw

Fao Irishswan 546: W. B. Yeats on 20:58 - Jun 25 by Lohengrin

Spell it out then. Don’t get me wrong, if that’s your thing then great, you’ll get no arguments from me, but if you’re saying that it has made a greater impact on the course of modern letters then you are going to have to explain your thinking.

Sorry Loh, I rarely return to a thread in the non-football section, so apologies.

I really don't think that it's up to me to justify my post. You made some sort of spurious subjective claim about some poem being " almost certainly, the most influential poem of the twentieth century. "

I bridled at that and replied giving one of my favourite poems by one of my favourite poets. So why don't we start by you justifying your statement?
Exactly what influence has it had on the twentieth century?
What opinions has it changed?
Whose lives has it affected?
Fao Irishswan 546: W. B. Yeats on 11:43 - Jun 27 with 2644 viewsGreatBritton

Fao Irishswan 546: W. B. Yeats on 10:21 - Jun 27 by DafyddHuw

Sorry Loh, I rarely return to a thread in the non-football section, so apologies.

I really don't think that it's up to me to justify my post. You made some sort of spurious subjective claim about some poem being " almost certainly, the most influential poem of the twentieth century. "

I bridled at that and replied giving one of my favourite poems by one of my favourite poets. So why don't we start by you justifying your statement?

It affected a lot of other poets, who in turn influenced lots of grammar school boys, who in turn got jobs in the civil service, education, medicine etc and started to think it didn't always have to be the way it had always been. Hey presto! A century later holes in the glass ceiling, more decorous thinking about war and dying 'for your country', the dying days of homophobia, vastly increased respect for sections of society previously ignored or rejected (the old, ethnic minorities, people with disadvantages etc etc).
I still prefer Eliot and Larkin however. I take your point about personal preferences but despite those you have to admit that certain things (not just verbal artefacts obviously) affected people and ultimately society.
Sorry to be so wordy.
Fao Irishswan 546: W. B. Yeats on 12:42 - Jun 27 with 2623 viewsairedale

Fao Irishswan 546: W. B. Yeats on 21:07 - Jun 25 by exiledclaseboy

We went to Kilmainham Gaol in Dublin yesterday. A fascinating and sobering place.

Yeah, well they wouldn’t have a bar in there Clasey.
Fao Irishswan 546: W. B. Yeats on 14:35 - Jun 27 with 2597 viewsDafyddHuw

Fao Irishswan 546: W. B. Yeats on 11:43 - Jun 27 by GreatBritton

It affected a lot of other poets, who in turn influenced lots of grammar school boys, who in turn got jobs in the civil service, education, medicine etc and started to think it didn't always have to be the way it had always been. Hey presto! A century later holes in the glass ceiling, more decorous thinking about war and dying 'for your country', the dying days of homophobia, vastly increased respect for sections of society previously ignored or rejected (the old, ethnic minorities, people with disadvantages etc etc).
I still prefer Eliot and Larkin however. I take your point about personal preferences but despite those you have to admit that certain things (not just verbal artefacts obviously) affected people and ultimately society.
Sorry to be so wordy.

I don't doubt the poem had an influence. Just waiting for Lohengrin to justify his "fact" that Yeats' poem "is probably, almost certainly, the most influential poem of the twentieth century".

That's all. Anyone can say that x is the greatest y of the z. It means nothing, unless the claim is backed up by facts.

Was Bob Dylan the greatest influence on popular music in the twentieth century? Or was it the Beatles? Then again, the Beatles were influenced by Elvis, so it must have been Elvis who was the greatest influence. But what about Frank Sinatra. Or maybe, before him, Mario Lanza. See, it all means nothing. It's just subjective opinions, not "probably, almost certainly" anything. Except in the poster's head.
Fao Irishswan 546: W. B. Yeats on 12:30 - Jun 28 with 2554 viewsGreatBritton

Fao Irishswan 546: W. B. Yeats on 14:35 - Jun 27 by DafyddHuw

I don't doubt the poem had an influence. Just waiting for Lohengrin to justify his "fact" that Yeats' poem "is probably, almost certainly, the most influential poem of the twentieth century".

That's all. Anyone can say that x is the greatest y of the z. It means nothing, unless the claim is backed up by facts.

Was Bob Dylan the greatest influence on popular music in the twentieth century? Or was it the Beatles? Then again, the Beatles were influenced by Elvis, so it must have been Elvis who was the greatest influence. But what about Frank Sinatra. Or maybe, before him, Mario Lanza. See, it all means nothing. It's just subjective opinions, not "probably, almost certainly" anything. Except in the poster's head.

Fair enough.

I'm glad you mentioned music too. I love Bob Dylan but don't think he's been all that influential, except for weirdos like me. Politics, convoluted narratives, disquisitions on art, religion and life and death - I didn't think mere songs could cope with that panoply, but he shocked me into recognising that they could. I've spent a lot of my life keeping on keeping on like a bird that flew and contemplating that it's not dark yet but it's getting there and, most especially, thinking about businessmen drinking my wine while ploughmen busied themselves digging my earth. Crucially, he could be funny too.

Elvis Schmelvis, btw
Fao Irishswan 546: W. B. Yeats on 19:41 - Jun 28 with 2520 viewsLohengrin

Fao Irishswan 546: W. B. Yeats on 10:21 - Jun 27 by DafyddHuw

No apologies required, we check in when time allows.

Where to start? The Second Coming was hailed as an inspiration by seminal figures as stylistically and politically diverse as Eliot and Orwell, Pound and Hemingway, Jones and Auden, just off the top of my head. There’s good a reason for that: every stanza is perfectly formed, every word essential, irreplaceable. Although it was written in 1919 in revulsion at the communist revolution it simply does not age. Each succeeding generation has been able to discover it and see it in the light of events that concern them. It speaks to and for those seeking a voice. When I first encountered it as a young boy I was mesmerised with it. Obsessed, really.

I was reading an article in The Paris Review recently, I’ll dig it out for you if you want, that attempted to tip the iceberg of books, songs, news headlines etc.. that contain either quotation or direct allegory and it’s voluminous. No other poem comes anywhere close. It cast a shadow on publication that continues to lengthen almost a century later.

Your turn...

Fao Irishswan 546: W. B. Yeats on 20:10 - Jun 28 with 2507 viewsKilkennyjack

Fao Irishswan 546: W. B. Yeats on 21:07 - Jun 25 by exiledclaseboy

Tell us more fella ....

God bless the rebels of Easter 1916 ..... ☘️ 🙏🏿

Beware of the Risen People

Fao Irishswan 546: W. B. Yeats on 20:25 - Jun 28 with 2494 viewsmoonie

Think last paragraph is best avoided as I'm rather upset to see my own people shot by cowardly shyte houses who fought us whilst our men and boys were being slaughtered in Flanders field.

What sort of warped Welshman celebrates murders of his own people. Explain that one.

Yeats was good. Used English language well.

Dylan,sorry,hugely influential ,more so thst Years,Behan,,Heaney Shaw or any other of the paddy poets

Dylan changed lives,music for ever. Without doubt, music s greatest
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024