Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Mawson to West Ham 15:11 - Jun 14 with 66841 viewsandrew

Deal close. Sky sports breaking.

Poll: Can’t see the new guy coming in to sit on the bench so, who’s off?

Mawson to West Ham on 08:53 - Jun 30 with 1778 viewsE20Jack

Mawson to West Ham on 08:25 - Jun 30 by Whiterockin

If Potter had not come in, would you have preferred Monk or Laudrup as the next manager. I like probably 99% of supporters would have Laudrup in an instance.

Neither.

Poll: 6 point deduction and sellouts lose all their cash?

Mawson to West Ham on 07:13 - Jul 1 with 1669 viewsBrynmill_Jack

Mawson to West Ham on 08:17 - Jun 30 by E20Jack

I can’t remember what position we were. We had 30 points from his last 34 games though which is what matters. We had the best squad we have had, yet the performances were the worst we had seen at that level and the buck stopped with Laudrup.

Had to be shown the door and thankfully we successfully rode off the back of that decision for the next 18 months achieving our highest ever finish.

Ignore the context of two games a week due to participating in the Europa League and a crippling injury list and your viewpoint is correct.

However most people whom I know look on Laudrup's tenure as the best time we've had as a football club and hold Monk to blame for ending that , and one eighth placed finish playing truly awful football certainly won't alter that point of view.

Each time I go to Bedd - au........................

Mawson to West Ham on 09:52 - Jul 1 with 1607 viewsgiantstoneater

Mawson to West Ham on 07:13 - Jul 1 by Brynmill_Jack

Ignore the context of two games a week due to participating in the Europa League and a crippling injury list and your viewpoint is correct.

However most people whom I know look on Laudrup's tenure as the best time we've had as a football club and hold Monk to blame for ending that , and one eighth placed finish playing truly awful football certainly won't alter that point of view.

That season we beat Hull 0-1 away and although I didn`t go I saw the hour long highlights on sky and I thought our football was atrocious and we were just as bad as Hull who, I think went down that season and for the first time I had real concerns about the direction we were going in and in all honesty as I walked away from the drubbing that we were handed to by Real Betis in a pre-season friendly I had alarms bells going off in my head. My mates in the pub before home games probably thought I was insane as I kept mentioning the Hull game over and over and we had lost our style a style we are struggling to get back to. Like a few on here I expected that we would go down but was hoping we would go down trying to play good football not the dross that took us down. I am hopeful GP will bring back some sort of style but I am not hopeful that he will be backed by the board.
Mawson to West Ham on 11:18 - Jul 1 with 1566 viewslondonlisa2001

Mawson to West Ham on 08:17 - Jun 30 by E20Jack

I can’t remember what position we were. We had 30 points from his last 34 games though which is what matters. We had the best squad we have had, yet the performances were the worst we had seen at that level and the buck stopped with Laudrup.

Had to be shown the door and thankfully we successfully rode off the back of that decision for the next 18 months achieving our highest ever finish.

It wasn’t our highest ever finish.
Mawson to West Ham on 11:27 - Jul 1 with 1546 viewsE20Jack

Mawson to West Ham on 11:18 - Jul 1 by londonlisa2001

It wasn’t our highest ever finish.

It was our highest ever Premier League finish. Second highest finish of all time.

We finished higher in a league that no longer exists in that format many moons prior, but doesn’t alter the point being made as you know Lisa.

We did not decline straight after Laudrup was rightly sacked, far from it, in fact we saw a pretty lengthy improvement including the best league showing in the modern era.
[Post edited 1 Jul 2018 11:39]

Mawson to West Ham on 11:47 - Jul 1 with 1520 viewsdobjack2

Mawson to West Ham on 11:27 - Jul 1 by E20Jack

It was our highest ever Premier League finish. Second highest finish of all time.

We finished higher in a league that no longer exists in that format many moons prior, but doesn’t alter the point being made as you know Lisa.

We did not decline straight after Laudrup was rightly sacked, far from it, in fact we saw a pretty lengthy improvement including the best league showing in the modern era.
[Post edited 1 Jul 2018 11:39]

There was no lengthy improvement though. We wrecked our style of playing in the process which led to the spiral of fire fighting and ultimately a shambles on the pitch.

That highest placing was a pyrrhic achievement .
Mawson to West Ham on 12:07 - Jul 1 with 1486 viewsE20Jack

Mawson to West Ham on 11:47 - Jul 1 by dobjack2

There was no lengthy improvement though. We wrecked our style of playing in the process which led to the spiral of fire fighting and ultimately a shambles on the pitch.

That highest placing was a pyrrhic achievement .

Yes there was.

Our style evaporated under Laudrup, many doe eyed Laudrup fans don’t like to admit that though. It was long gone, hence the whole “principles eroding” comments. We were dire, utterly hopeless unable to string any passes together, lacked cohesion, lacked discipline and were completely and utterly rudderless.

When Monk came in he guided us to safety with ease, and then followed it up with an 8th place finish the highest of the modern era and second of all time as Lisa will confirm.

Monks ego took over and muddied the confused style of play, this combined with our ageing backbone that saw such great success started the decline. The almost impossible job of replacing that special backbone we had unltimately failed, with spiralling costs and off field drama we capitulated. Long after a club like ours was expected to. We peaked and naturally were falling off the other side.

Whether we have hit the bottom yet is still to be seen.
[Post edited 1 Jul 2018 12:27]

Mawson to West Ham on 12:37 - Jul 1 with 1448 views34dfgdf54

Mawson to West Ham on 12:07 - Jul 1 by E20Jack

Yes there was.

Our style evaporated under Laudrup, many doe eyed Laudrup fans don’t like to admit that though. It was long gone, hence the whole “principles eroding” comments. We were dire, utterly hopeless unable to string any passes together, lacked cohesion, lacked discipline and were completely and utterly rudderless.

When Monk came in he guided us to safety with ease, and then followed it up with an 8th place finish the highest of the modern era and second of all time as Lisa will confirm.

Monks ego took over and muddied the confused style of play, this combined with our ageing backbone that saw such great success started the decline. The almost impossible job of replacing that special backbone we had unltimately failed, with spiralling costs and off field drama we capitulated. Long after a club like ours was expected to. We peaked and naturally were falling off the other side.

His last game we had 65-70% of possession away from home.

We were poor granted, but don’t lie to back up your argument. We never lost our “style”, we still played possession based game, and very rarely went long with low percentage balls into box etc.

We were also 12th in the Premier League.
[Post edited 1 Jul 2018 12:39]
Login to get fewer ads

Mawson to West Ham on 12:52 - Jul 1 with 1410 viewsdobjack2

Mawson to West Ham on 12:07 - Jul 1 by E20Jack

Yes there was.

Well we’ll just disagree then.
Mawson to West Ham on 21:27 - Jul 1 with 1285 viewsE20Jack

Mawson to West Ham on 12:37 - Jul 1 by 34dfgdf54

His last game we had 65-70% of possession away from home.

We were poor granted, but don’t lie to back up your argument. We never lost our “style”, we still played possession based game, and very rarely went long with low percentage balls into box etc.

We were also 12th in the Premier League.
[Post edited 1 Jul 2018 12:39]

I am not lying. You are talking about a match in which the opposition had 10 men for half the game, of course we had more possession. Our style was evaporated in that second year, we were completely and utterly dire. Keeping possession doesn’t mean we maintained our style. That’s a bit of a schoolyard way to look at it.

Our style was high pressing, good movement, crisp passing and a high contain. None of this existed in the second year and teams walked right through us, hence we picked up a mere 30 points in 34 games, that is similar to our form this year in our worst ever year.

You claim we were 12th. Can you tell me how many points above relegation we were? Or would that ruin your point?
[Post edited 1 Jul 2018 21:28]

Mawson to West Ham on 21:40 - Jul 1 with 1268 viewsDarran

Mawson to West Ham on 21:27 - Jul 1 by E20Jack

I am not lying. You are talking about a match in which the opposition had 10 men for half the game, of course we had more possession. Our style was evaporated in that second year, we were completely and utterly dire. Keeping possession doesn’t mean we maintained our style. That’s a bit of a schoolyard way to look at it.

Our style was high pressing, good movement, crisp passing and a high contain. None of this existed in the second year and teams walked right through us, hence we picked up a mere 30 points in 34 games, that is similar to our form this year in our worst ever year.

You claim we were 12th. Can you tell me how many points above relegation we were? Or would that ruin your point?

“You claim we were 12th. Can you tell me how many points above relegation we were? Or would that ruin your point?”

How come you neve said that to The Res all last season when he was making the same pointless points? lol

The first ever recipient of a Planet Swans Lifetime Achievement Award.
Poll: Who’s got the most experts

Mawson to West Ham on 22:11 - Jul 1 with 1220 viewsE20Jack

Mawson to West Ham on 21:40 - Jul 1 by Darran

“You claim we were 12th. Can you tell me how many points above relegation we were? Or would that ruin your point?”

How come you neve said that to The Res all last season when he was making the same pointless points? lol

Said what?

Mawson to West Ham on 22:19 - Jul 1 with 1200 views34dfgdf54

Mawson to West Ham on 21:27 - Jul 1 by E20Jack

We changed style of play as soon as Laudrup left. I’m not disputing things weren’t going badly come the end of Laudrup’s reign, but we never once changed how we played. I’m not going to keep on going over the same points over and over so I’ll say it once more, we were juggling UEFA cup with a premier league season, using a squad which was made from a small budget (as you endorse over and over), you mentioned schoolyard, this isn’t schoolboy football, you can’t keep the same team fit week after week, sharp in terms of high press, movement off the ball when you are playing Tuesday on the continent and back home Sunday for a premier league game. Clubs a lot bigger than us have struggled with that.

I don’t claim we were 12th, we were 12th, on 24 points out of 24 games which, by the way, if we carried on in that points to game ratio, would have kept us safe by 5 points..... better than the next level of this season. Lol.

Also - 2 points off relegation, 3 points off top ten, depends which way you want to look at it.
[Post edited 1 Jul 2018 22:23]
Mawson to West Ham on 22:20 - Jul 1 with 1194 viewsDarran

Mawson to West Ham on 22:11 - Jul 1 by E20Jack

Said what?

Your reply you thick çunt.

Mawson to West Ham on 22:26 - Jul 1 with 1173 viewsE20Jack

Mawson to West Ham on 22:20 - Jul 1 by Darran

Your reply you thick çunt.

You are asking me why I did not reply to The Res... when I am replying to someone else with a different post.

And you are calling me thick?

Thank God the people at the club and on this board have learned to tolerate you as you are wonderfully entertaining to me.

Mawson to West Ham on 22:29 - Jul 1 with 1163 viewsDarran

Mawson to West Ham on 22:26 - Jul 1 by E20Jack

You are asking me why I did not reply to The Res... when I am replying to someone else with a different post.

And you are calling me thick?

Thank God the people at the club and on this board have learned to tolerate you as you are wonderfully entertaining to me.

No I’m asking you why you never a made a point of how few points we were off the relegation zone when The Res was telling everyone we were doing so well.

Mawson to West Ham on 22:29 - Jul 1 with 1161 viewsLeonWasGod

Mawson to West Ham on 22:19 - Jul 1 by 34dfgdf54

We changed style of play as soon as Laudrup left. I’m not disputing things weren’t going badly come the end of Laudrup’s reign, but we never once changed how we played. I’m not going to keep on going over the same points over and over so I’ll say it once more, we were juggling UEFA cup with a premier league season, using a squad which was made from a small budget (as you endorse over and over), you mentioned schoolyard, this isn’t schoolboy football, you can’t keep the same team fit week after week, sharp in terms of high press, movement off the ball when you are playing Tuesday on the continent and back home Sunday for a premier league game. Clubs a lot bigger than us have struggled with that.

I don’t claim we were 12th, we were 12th, on 24 points out of 24 games which, by the way, if we carried on in that points to game ratio, would have kept us safe by 5 points..... better than the next level of this season. Lol.

Also - 2 points off relegation, 3 points off top ten, depends which way you want to look at it.

Agree with a lot of that. But also I vividly remember that it felt right at the time that Laudrup had to go. He'd lost it, or it had been taken away from him depending on how you look at it. Could he have salvaged something from that position? Who knows, but we had the cliques and the Monk rift. Something had to give.
Mawson to West Ham on 22:31 - Jul 1 with 1157 viewsE20Jack

Mawson to West Ham on 22:19 - Jul 1 by 34dfgdf54

We tried to remedy the style of play as soon as Laudrup was rightly sacked, yes. But we remedied it because it had changed from what it was, and was a festering shell of anything seen before. Which of course worked as we achieved our highest finish in the modern era.

You can make excuses for anyone, the fact is things were not good at the club. Playing a few extra games doesn’t mean that the whole ethos of the club and style of play should disintegrate. You think that the best squad we have ever had being 2 points off relegation with a track record of picking up 30 points in its last 34 games is fine? I see it as almost certain catastrophe.

Te fact you have to compare it to this season to get any semblance of respect is telling. Our worst ever PL season with our worst ever PL squad.

Mawson to West Ham on 22:31 - Jul 1 with 1158 viewsDarran

Mawson to West Ham on 22:29 - Jul 1 by LeonWasGod

Agree with a lot of that. But also I vividly remember that it felt right at the time that Laudrup had to go. He'd lost it, or it had been taken away from him depending on how you look at it. Could he have salvaged something from that position? Who knows, but we had the cliques and the Monk rift. Something had to give.

I sit next to the dugout and I’m far from a body language expert but to say Laudrup had lost interest is an understatement.

Mawson to West Ham on 22:34 - Jul 1 with 1141 views34dfgdf54

Mawson to West Ham on 22:29 - Jul 1 by LeonWasGod

No I agree with the timing of Laudrup’s sacking. I also said the same day, on here, that Jenkins should also step down, but was widely condemned. You could see the road we were going down with Jenkins from Christmas time that season,
Mawson to West Ham on 22:36 - Jul 1 with 1130 viewsE20Jack

Mawson to West Ham on 22:34 - Jul 1 by 34dfgdf54

No I agree with the timing of Laudrup’s sacking. I also said the same day, on here, that Jenkins should also step down, but was widely condemned. You could see the road we were going down with Jenkins from Christmas time that season,

Yet he went on to oversee our highest league finish in the modern era...

Mawson to West Ham on 22:37 - Jul 1 with 1124 viewsE20Jack

Mawson to West Ham on 22:29 - Jul 1 by Darran

No I’m asking you why you never a made a point of how few points we were off the relegation zone when The Res was telling everyone we were doing so well.

When?

Mawson to West Ham on 22:37 - Jul 1 with 1124 viewsLoyal

So, has this fcking failure left yet ?

Nolan sympathiser, clout expert, personal friend of Leigh Dineen, advocate and enforcer of porridge swallows. The official inventor of the tit w@nk.
Poll: Who should be Swansea number 1

Mawson to West Ham on 22:38 - Jul 1 with 1118 viewsDarran

Mawson to West Ham on 22:37 - Jul 1 by E20Jack

When?

Last season. You never disagreed with him once. Why?

Mawson to West Ham on 22:40 - Jul 1 with 1107 views34dfgdf54

Mawson to West Ham on 22:36 - Jul 1 by E20Jack

Yet he went on to oversee our highest league finish in the modern era...

And I, along with others on here could see the warning signs that season also.

You could argue that we were still hanging on the coat tails of Laudrup’s work aswell, but I dislike Monk majorly so my judgement is no doubt clouded in that regard admittedly.
[Post edited 1 Jul 2018 22:42]
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024