Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Welsh Assembly and Minimum Price for Alcohol 18:34 - Jun 19 with 1266 viewsFlashberryjack

A plan to introduce minimum pricing for alcohol has passed its first hurdle in the assembly.

With Scotland already having introduced a minimum price on alcohol, you'd have thought the assembly would have held fire to see if it actually does have any affect on alcohol consumption.

Opinions ?

Hello
Poll: Should the Senedd be Abolished

Welsh Assembly and Minimum Price for Alcohol on 18:52 - Jun 19 with 1243 viewsWingstandwood

What may happen with some people who cannot do without a drink and are cash strapped is they may resort to home brewing. I know a guy who has done exactly that after a retirement change in income. I'm only going on the word of his late wife's cousin who says what the guy makes is rather nice. And boy doesn't he arf drink, the cans he used to put out in his recycling bags was testimony to that.

I've always had a fascination myself with home brewing? How easy is it do do? Does it take a lot of practice and trial and error. They've got kits in Wilko's by Swansea Quadrant, there does seem to be a market out there for it.

Argus!

Welsh Assembly and Minimum Price for Alcohol on 18:57 - Jun 19 with 1232 viewsLeonWasGod

#PrayForMax
Welsh Assembly and Minimum Price for Alcohol on 19:05 - Jun 19 with 1217 viewslonglostjack

Don’t know much about it but if it’s targeting the supermarkets and helps save a few pubs I’m all for it.

Poll: Alcohol in the lockdown

Welsh Assembly and Minimum Price for Alcohol on 19:11 - Jun 19 with 1213 viewsLeonWasGod

Welsh Assembly and Minimum Price for Alcohol on 18:52 - Jun 19 by Wingstandwood

What may happen with some people who cannot do without a drink and are cash strapped is they may resort to home brewing. I know a guy who has done exactly that after a retirement change in income. I'm only going on the word of his late wife's cousin who says what the guy makes is rather nice. And boy doesn't he arf drink, the cans he used to put out in his recycling bags was testimony to that.

I've always had a fascination myself with home brewing? How easy is it do do? Does it take a lot of practice and trial and error. They've got kits in Wilko's by Swansea Quadrant, there does seem to be a market out there for it.

Straight forward. You just need to follow a recipe and then have a bit of patience (the latter could be a problem for alchies!). Time is probably the biggest challenge - both to collect stuff (for wine), to make and then wait.

The place we rented in the States, the guy had a beer fridge - an old converted chest freezer in which he kept the kegs, connected to taps on the top and all gassed up. For parties he'd put on lager, bitter, IPA, red, cider - all homebrewed.

My grandad always had demijohns (sp?) of wine on the go, mostly from stuff he'd collected from the hedgerows. Nettle, rosehip, rose pettle, damson, elderflower and elderberry (both v good), blackberry. Money was tight, but sometimes he'd buy fruit - orange, pear, pineapple, apple being a few I remember. He lived to 94 and I never saw him without a glass, so didn't do him any harm!
Welsh Assembly and Minimum Price for Alcohol on 19:18 - Jun 19 with 1199 viewsFlashberryjack

Welsh Assembly and Minimum Price for Alcohol on 19:05 - Jun 19 by longlostjack

Don’t know much about it but if it’s targeting the supermarkets and helps save a few pubs I’m all for it.

Well that basically is my point...wait and see the affects it has in Scotland would be the sensible option IMO.

Hello

Welsh Assembly and Minimum Price for Alcohol on 19:18 - Jun 19 with 1199 viewsWingstandwood

Welsh Assembly and Minimum Price for Alcohol on 19:11 - Jun 19 by LeonWasGod

Straight forward. You just need to follow a recipe and then have a bit of patience (the latter could be a problem for alchies!). Time is probably the biggest challenge - both to collect stuff (for wine), to make and then wait.

The place we rented in the States, the guy had a beer fridge - an old converted chest freezer in which he kept the kegs, connected to taps on the top and all gassed up. For parties he'd put on lager, bitter, IPA, red, cider - all homebrewed.

My grandad always had demijohns (sp?) of wine on the go, mostly from stuff he'd collected from the hedgerows. Nettle, rosehip, rose pettle, damson, elderflower and elderberry (both v good), blackberry. Money was tight, but sometimes he'd buy fruit - orange, pear, pineapple, apple being a few I remember. He lived to 94 and I never saw him without a glass, so didn't do him any harm!

Thanks, how long does it actually take to make a brew and for it to become drinkable because I'm assuming it has to (thinking that may be a major patience bit?) fermente for a while?

Argus!

Welsh Assembly and Minimum Price for Alcohol on 19:19 - Jun 19 with 1189 viewsSwanjaxs

Welsh Assembly and Minimum Price for Alcohol on 18:52 - Jun 19 by Wingstandwood

I hate green bag bin day, the day when your drinking habits are laid bare for all your neighbours to judge you on 😣

You might think I've forgotten, but one day, when you least expect it, my time will come.
Poll: Celtic and Rangers should be fast tracked into the Championship ASAP

Welsh Assembly and Minimum Price for Alcohol on 19:20 - Jun 19 with 1188 viewsWingstandwood

Welsh Assembly and Minimum Price for Alcohol on 19:19 - Jun 19 by Swanjaxs

I hate green bag bin day, the day when your drinking habits are laid bare for all your neighbours to judge you on 😣

Argus!

Login to get fewer ads

Welsh Assembly and Minimum Price for Alcohol on 20:24 - Jun 19 with 1133 viewsDr_Winston

Welsh Assembly and Minimum Price for Alcohol on 19:18 - Jun 19 by Wingstandwood

Thanks, how long does it actually take to make a brew and for it to become drinkable because I'm assuming it has to (thinking that may be a major patience bit?) fermente for a while?

Depends.

From start to finish you could have 40 pints (standard kit size) of drinkable beer, cider or lager in about three weeks. Wine takes a bit longer ideally. Mate of mine makes his own cider from apple juice and he's drinking it after less than a week.

I'd recommend having a go. Been doing it for about seven years in all, both beer and wine. Got 40 pints of cider in the fridge downstairs and 30 bottles of wine fermenting now. Beer/cider works out about 70p per pint, wine about the same per bottle.

This post has been edited by an administrator

Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair, or f*cking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.

Welsh Assembly and Minimum Price for Alcohol on 20:30 - Jun 19 with 1122 viewsWingstandwood

Welsh Assembly and Minimum Price for Alcohol on 20:24 - Jun 19 by Dr_Winston

Depends.

From start to finish you could have 40 pints (standard kit size) of drinkable beer, cider or lager in about three weeks. Wine takes a bit longer ideally. Mate of mine makes his own cider from apple juice and he's drinking it after less than a week.

I'd recommend having a go. Been doing it for about seven years in all, both beer and wine. Got 40 pints of cider in the fridge downstairs and 30 bottles of wine fermenting now. Beer/cider works out about 70p per pint, wine about the same per bottle.

Thanks for that!

Argus!

Welsh Assembly and Minimum Price for Alcohol on 20:33 - Jun 19 with 1112 viewsHighjack

Welsh Assembly and Minimum Price for Alcohol on 19:05 - Jun 19 by longlostjack

I might be wrong but it’ll actually benefit the supermarkets as it’s not a tax so the extra money goes straight into their tills.

The creatures outside looked from pig to man, and from man to pig, and from pig to man again; but already it was impossible to say which was which.
Poll: Should Dippy Drakeford do us all a massive favour and just bog off?

Welsh Assembly and Minimum Price for Alcohol on 20:33 - Jun 19 with 1112 viewsDr_Winston

Welsh Assembly and Minimum Price for Alcohol on 20:30 - Jun 19 by Wingstandwood

Thanks for that!

No problem.

If you're planning to do beer by the barrel I'd buy a new pressure vessel and cap, but most stuff you need can be easily found for a fraction of the price at car boot sales. Demijohns are 6-8 quid new but are often a pound each at a car boot. Give it all a good scrub with disinfectant (the oxy stuff for laundry works wonders with a soak) and it'll be fine.

Any questions feel free to ask.

Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair, or f*cking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.

Welsh Assembly and Minimum Price for Alcohol on 20:40 - Jun 19 with 1091 viewsNeath_Jack

I'm not a fan of alcohol, so ramp it f*cking up boys bach.

Better still, outlaw it.

I want a mate like Flashberryjacks, who wears a Barnsley jersey with "Swans are my second team" on the back.
Poll: Would you support military action against Syria on what we know so far?

Welsh Assembly and Minimum Price for Alcohol on 20:42 - Jun 19 with 1083 viewsFlashberryjack

Welsh Assembly and Minimum Price for Alcohol on 20:24 - Jun 19 by Dr_Winston

Depends.

Do you have any free tasting days ?

Hello

Welsh Assembly and Minimum Price for Alcohol on 20:48 - Jun 19 with 1066 viewsDr_Winston

Welsh Assembly and Minimum Price for Alcohol on 20:42 - Jun 19 by Flashberryjack

Do you have any free tasting days ?

I was planning to attack the cider whilst watching the World Cup outside but it's rained since it started!

Welsh Assembly and Minimum Price for Alcohol on 20:50 - Jun 19 with 1057 viewsFlashberryjack

Welsh Assembly and Minimum Price for Alcohol on 20:48 - Jun 19 by Dr_Winston

I was planning to attack the cider whilst watching the World Cup outside but it's rained since it started!

Iv'e got a big umbrella

Hello

Welsh Assembly and Minimum Price for Alcohol on 22:18 - Jun 19 with 991 viewsswan65split

I hope there is no subsidy in that big rat hole in Cardiff Bay .
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024