Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
electricians 09:26 - Jun 20 with 3442 viewsjack_lord

House keeps tripping. If I turn off one of the fuses, everything is fine. I have swapped the fuses around but the fault stays on that ring main.
Does it mean that the fault is definitely on that ring mean or something else is causing it to trip?

Lord_Jack increasingly detached from the riches of kicking a ball
Poll: The E U : Stay or Leave

electricians on 09:34 - Jun 20 with 2537 viewsLoyal

Get the mrs to clean your ring with a damp cloth, works for me 👍

Nolan sympathiser, clout expert, personal friend of Leigh Dineen, advocate and enforcer of porridge swallows. The official inventor of the tit w@nk.
Poll: Who should be Swansea number 1

electricians on 09:37 - Jun 20 with 2529 viewsmoonie

Ring a Spark ,Jase Right now.

Dont even think about it
electricians on 09:38 - Jun 20 with 2525 viewsjacktar

I would say it has to be in that circuit, probably a wire come loose or pulled out. You will need to check out the sockets on that ring main. I would start with the one that is used most as it's likely that constant use may have caused a loose connection.

We shouldn't all be tarred with the same brush you know!

electricians on 09:53 - Jun 20 with 2488 viewsDracan66

Unplug all appliances from the ring main sockets and reset the ring main trip, if the trip holds then plug each appliance back in one at a time, hopefully if you have a faulty appliance this will indicate which one. If the trip doesn’t reset when no appliances are plugged in the you’ll need an electrician.
Ps does your ring main feed sockets outside of the home, we’ve had a lot of rain and there could be water ingress.
electricians on 10:01 - Jun 20 with 2466 viewsjack_lord

One of the sockets is going to be a bitch to unplug as it is the built in Dishwasher which is well and truly built in. I have disconnected the feed from sockets either side of the dishwasher (I'm pretty sure) but still trips.
We have an external light but that is on a different ring main.

This house is due to exchange this week.

electricians on 11:16 - Jun 20 with 2412 viewsDracan66

If everything is unplugged or disconnected (inc dish washer) and the fault is still there then without the relevant electrical testing equipment to pinpint the fault the only way to find the problem is to split the ring main at the fuseboard and on the ring main itself at one of the sockets furthest away from the board. If you don't have the electrical competancy I would get an electrician in. There could easily be a cable fault or a burnt up socket issue.
electricians on 12:14 - Jun 20 with 2370 viewsWhiterockin

Might be worth checking if you have cover for electrical breakdowns on your household insurance.
electricians on 14:07 - Jun 20 with 2303 viewsjack_lord

electricians on 11:16 - Jun 20 by Dracan66

If everything is unplugged or disconnected (inc dish washer) and the fault is still there then without the relevant electrical testing equipment to pinpint the fault the only way to find the problem is to split the ring main at the fuseboard and on the ring main itself at one of the sockets furthest away from the board. If you don't have the electrical competancy I would get an electrician in. There could easily be a cable fault or a burnt up socket issue.

Thats a good idea for me to at least narrow stuff down. Pretty sure that I can put it on two fuses if needed and sacrifice dead socket.

Login to get fewer ads

electricians on 14:29 - Jun 20 with 2289 viewsvetchonian

electricians on 14:07 - Jun 20 by jack_lord

Thats a good idea for me to at least narrow stuff down. Pretty sure that I can put it on two fuses if needed and sacrifice dead socket.

Cant do that as a fix as you ae limited to a max floor space of 50m2 for a single radial single radfial circuit I would guess the ring main is split over all the rooms and you may well excedd this,

Each Radial circuit will need to be protected by a 20Amcb

Poll: Will CCFC win a game this season?

electricians on 14:50 - Jun 20 with 2275 viewsjack_lord

electricians on 14:29 - Jun 20 by vetchonian

Cant do that as a fix as you ae limited to a max floor space of 50m2 for a single radial single radfial circuit I would guess the ring main is split over all the rooms and you may well excedd this,

Each Radial circuit will need to be protected by a 20Amcb

I have got four ring mains as well as a separare one for the shower and cooker as my step dad (rip) said to spread the load around the house.

electricians on 16:11 - Jun 20 with 2228 viewsmax936

Time to move J what with the boiler and now the electrics 🙈

Poll: Will it Snow this coming Winter

electricians on 17:08 - Jun 20 with 2201 viewsDracan66

The splitting of the ring is only to be used to locate and repair the fault and should not be used as a temporary fix.
electricians on 17:19 - Jun 20 with 2196 viewsDracan66

Never split a ring main into 2 radial circuits. There is a high risk of cable overheating etc and is against IEE Regs. I really think you need a qualified electrician to investigate. Spend the money and don't risk your safety.
electricians .. on 17:19 - Jun 20 with 2196 viewsDracan66

Never split a ring main into 2 radial circuits. There is a high risk of cable overheating etc and is against IEE Regs. I really think you need a qualified electrician to investigate. Spend the money and don't risk your safety.
electricians on 17:40 - Jun 20 with 2180 viewsDarran

Sounds like you’ve got a problem with the electric tripping out.

The first ever recipient of a Planet Swans Lifetime Achievement Award.
Poll: Who’s got the most experts

electricians on 17:56 - Jun 20 with 2169 viewsJACKMANANDBOY

Had a similar problem, the socket for the washing machine and dryer had burnt out. Check the sockets taking the biggest electrical load first. Good luck took me a couple of hours to get it sorted.

Besian Idrizaj Forever a Jack
Poll: When will Duff Revert to 4 at the Back

electricians on 18:08 - Jun 20 with 2155 viewsDyfnant

electricians on 10:01 - Jun 20 by jack_lord

One of the sockets is going to be a bitch to unplug as it is the built in Dishwasher which is well and truly built in. I have disconnected the feed from sockets either side of the dishwasher (I'm pretty sure) but still trips.
We have an external light but that is on a different ring main.

This house is due to exchange this week.

Do without the circuit until you move out, new owners problem then, play dumb

Poll: How much will SCFC spend on transfer fees this summer

electricians on 18:51 - Jun 20 with 2119 viewsWingstandwood

"House keeps tripping. If I turn off one of the fuses, everything is fine. I have swapped the fuses around but the fault stays on that ring main.
Does it mean that the fault is definitely on that ring mean or something else is causing it to trip?"

Just messaged the above to a relative of mine (time served electrician with 10+ years experience) and he replied with only two words and no additional explanation....The two words were "ring main". I don't know if you'll find that helpful bearing in mind the problem has not been seen up close and personal.

Argus!

electricians on 19:01 - Jun 20 with 2107 viewsJackfath

electricians on 18:08 - Jun 20 by Dyfnant

Do without the circuit until you move out, new owners problem then, play dumb

How very dishonest.

POSTER OF THE YEAR 2013. PROUD RECIPIENT OF THE SECOND PLANET SWANS LIFETIME ACHIEVEMENT AWARD.
Poll: Should Darran's ban be lifted?

electricians on 19:22 - Jun 20 with 2081 viewsDyfnant

electricians on 19:01 - Jun 20 by Jackfath

How very dishonest.

Indeed

Poll: How much will SCFC spend on transfer fees this summer

electricians on 22:48 - Jun 20 with 2002 viewsjack_lord

electricians on 19:22 - Jun 20 by Dyfnant

Indeed

My multiple house owning mate suggested that but I feel a bit naughty even though the guy has taken 10 months to complete and in Powys people pay full council tax on empty properties :( so they have cost me a fortune.

electricians on 23:02 - Jun 20 with 1995 viewsmax936

electricians on 22:48 - Jun 20 by jack_lord

My multiple house owning mate suggested that but I feel a bit naughty even though the guy has taken 10 months to complete and in Powys people pay full council tax on empty properties :( so they have cost me a fortune.

I was up my lads flat in Horsham last Friday and he left me a few bills/letters to sort while he was in work, one bedroom flat he's got all be it a good size but he's there on his own, his council tax was nearly 1400 quid a year, phoned council and explained it was a single resident flat and they reduced it by 340 quid which is still expensive for what it is, he hasn't even got parking

Poll: Will it Snow this coming Winter

electricians on 06:53 - Jun 21 with 1896 viewspeenemunde

Don’t take any advice from here, except the advice of getting a qualified electrician out to have a look at the problem.

I know about electrics but would never give advice over a forum.
You could get yourself killed or even burn your house down.
electricians on 07:18 - Jun 21 with 1883 viewsraynor94

Why would anyone who's not Qualified want to play around with electrics and plumbing baffles me, a simple call to a qualified tradesman solves the problem immediately.

Surely you wouldn't put money before your families health and safety.

You give it out, you take it back it`s all part of the game
Poll: Happy to see Martin go

electricians on 07:21 - Jun 21 with 1882 viewsKingBony

electricians on 06:53 - Jun 21 by peenemunde

Don’t take any advice from here, except the advice of getting a qualified electrician out to have a look at the problem.

I know about electrics but would never give advice over a forum.
You could get yourself killed or even burn your house down.

Butt out of it then you quim 👍

Daddy Daddy cool, Daddy Daddy cool

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024