Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Serious Warning - Beware The Sun 07:07 - Jun 22 with 3680 viewsSwaneeRiver

I implore you all to read this and think about how you look after yourself in the sun.
Three years ago we returned from a holiday in Cyprus and my wife noticed a tiny spot on her ear. She saw her GP and was referred to Singleton outpatients where it was removed. They confirmed it was a melanoma.
Two years later she was discharged from the clinic.
Five months later, in February this year, she had numbness on the left side of her face.
Various tests showed that she had developed secondary brain cancer from that tiny spot, as well as cancer in other parts of the body.
In a few short months she has gone from a normal functioning person to someone her friends and family hardly recognise.
The most basic functions are becoming harder day by day.
She is still my beautiful intelligent wife, but in spite of having treatment, we are fearing the worst whilst praying for a positive outcome.
The condition she has could have been avoided if we had been more sensible in the sun.

Until March this year I had never heard of metastisis of the brain, but it is very common after melanomas and there is no cure and survival rates are not great.

Please friends, make sure you protect yourself from the sun, as whilst a little bit is good, even what we think is a small amount is a killer.
If you have to be out in the sun, slap on the highest protection possible by the handful, especially on the extremities (ears, nose, arms and legs), reapply it every couple of hours and if you go into the water and generally please be careful.

Serious Warning - Beware The Sun on 07:29 - Jun 22 with 3645 viewsJFSwan

Whilst not as serious, I had ridiculous sun burn a few weeks ago and if it wasn't for my desk job i most definitely would of been off on the sick.
Always seem to thing we dont 'catch' in the UK but fk me that was a painful week. Add that with another week of peeling and itching too.
Serious Warning - Beware The Sun on 09:52 - Jun 22 with 3555 viewsdickythorpe

Sobering reading, and I really hope your wife and you are getting all the support you can.
Don't want to bore anyone but as a bald headed man I have been wearing a cap for a few years, but those of you with a mane like Samson (think Barry venison) need to be careful as well.

Bastard cancer!
Serious Warning - Beware The Sun on 17:03 - Jun 22 with 3392 viewsWingstandwood

Thought provoking and informative post SwaneeRiver. My sister is one of Swansea/SW Wales oncology team and attended a medical conference in Swansea Marriott last week regarding Mesothelioma. This is a type of cancer associated with asbestos exposure. There was discussion/presentation about the risk of talcum powder, just like sunshine some things that are usually taken so much for granted can be far greater risk to well being than what many would naturally assume. Take care in the sun!!

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-5873935/Solicitor-warns-ticking-timebo

Argus!

Serious Warning - Beware The Sun on 17:09 - Jun 22 with 3381 viewsmax936

Great post, but sadly a sad one, Thanks for the warning and the very best of wishes to your Wife and to you and the rest of your Family, here's to praying for a good outcome for you all.

Poll: Will it Snow this coming Winter

Serious Warning - Beware The Sun on 21:56 - Jun 22 with 3241 viewsKilkennyjack

God bless you and your family.

Beware of the Risen People

Serious Warning - Beware The Sun on 22:18 - Jun 22 with 3204 viewslonglostjack

Serious Warning - Beware The Sun on 21:56 - Jun 22 by Kilkennyjack

God bless you and your family.

Seconded. All the best.
[Post edited 22 Jun 2018 22:23]

Poll: Alcohol in the lockdown

Serious Warning - Beware The Sun on 07:04 - Jun 23 with 3068 viewsSwaneeRiver

Serious Warning - Beware The Sun on 22:18 - Jun 22 by longlostjack

Seconded. All the best.
[Post edited 22 Jun 2018 22:23]

Thanks for your kind words all.
Serious Warning - Beware The Sun on 08:35 - Jun 23 with 3000 viewstrampie

Sorry to hear of your problems all the best to you and your wife SwaneeRiver.

Continually being banned by Planet Swans for Porthcawl and then being reinstated.
Poll: UK European Union membership referendum poll

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024