Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Lagoon officially binned 18:09 - Jun 25 with 13658 viewsJonathans_coat

Well there’s another kick in the nads for Swansea. Another broken manifesto promise. Just waiting for them to pull out of the “city deal” now. They’ll announce the cull of the firstborn next week, just after the plague of locusts they’ve got planned!

By the way, waiting until the day of the Heathrow 3rd runway debate, to try to bury it under “bigger news” is so brazen it’s f*****g disgraceful. Shows exactly what they think of us.
Lagoon officially binned on 21:46 - Jun 25 with 2432 viewsBrad_Bobbly

I was born here but let’s he just honest - Swansea is still a shithole.

You can’t polish a turd. Everytime I visit Cardiff and Bristol it amazes me how far ahead they are in development and economy. Walking through town today and it’s the same as it was 20 years ago.
Lagoon officially binned on 21:47 - Jun 25 with 2433 viewsexiledclaseboy

Lagoon officially binned on 19:28 - Jun 25 by Wingstandwood

This part of the world truly has the worst bunch of tribalistic donkey voters! Too thick to ever punish Labour and way too stupid to vote tactically.

Yes indeed if this part of the world had a fair percentage of marginals you'd see far better commitment to us all i.e. the parties are then forced to please this region whether they like it or not.

Basically tribal Labour loyalty has an end result whereupon the population is relentlessly treated with contempt and forever ignored. The Tories ignore us out of spite and Labour does the same because it realises it can get away with absolute murder! Punishment never occurs at the ballot box. Oh, and Labour donkey voters will always blame the Tories for guilty Labour policies/incompetence and appalling Cardiff bias anyhow.

So who do you suggest us stupid donkeys vote for, oh wise one? The Tories hate us apparently and also as apparently Labour take us for granted. So should us donkeys vote Tory so they start liking us and maybe throw us a few more scraps? This would also of course have the added advantage of stopping labour talking us thick donkey voters for granted.

So everyone vote Tory so that labour starts being nicer to us. Winning plan.

Poll: Tory leader

Lagoon officially binned on 22:24 - Jun 25 with 2370 viewsScotia

Lagoon officially binned on 21:42 - Jun 25 by jack247

With all the choice of beaches we’ve got around here, would anyone genuinely get out and enjoy the docks?

It quite likely is the best decision for the UK as a whole, I don’t think it is for Swansea though

Sorry I don't really follow?

Conversely, I think it may be good for Swansea but potentially bad for the UK as a whole.

I'm only personally interested in Swansea because I'm fed up of the lack of investment and place it's become, I genuinely want what's best. This power station was an attempt to fool the local community to think it was beneficial when nobody really knew. It was a massive gamble. Go and gamble somewhere else.
Lagoon officially binned on 22:27 - Jun 25 with 2367 viewsBytholWyn

The passivity of the response on here is unsurprising, but still profoundly depressing. The lagoon was a real game changer for the Swansea and South-West Wales economy. The employment boost during the construction phase alone would have been hugely significant by itself, quite apart from the benefits of being at the heart of innovative technological developments - with all it's potential spin-offs. You only have to look at the dominant position the Danes have in the wind energy market - due to their early adoption of the technology - to see what has been lost.

One thing is abundantly clear, the Westminster government has proven yet again that it doesn't govern for the benefit of the UK as a whole. A government that was genuinely committed to the prosperity of the whole country it governs would prioritise development in those areas that would benefit the most. Instead we one massive infrastructure project after another for London and its environs, perpetuating its virtuous circle of prosperity, whilst the economy of Wales spirals further into a vortex of under-investment and despair. Theresa May's decision to scrap the electrification to Swansea tells you all about the attitude of the London parties to Wales.

And yet people still vote Tory and Labour (have a look at their manifesto at the last election and contrast their infrastructure commitments to England to those made to Wales). If you can't stomach voting Plaid, you'd be better off putting a cross against a scribbled in I Luv Swansea party than endorsing the usual suspects to shaft us time and time again...
Lagoon officially binned on 22:43 - Jun 25 with 2337 viewsjack247

Lagoon officially binned on 22:24 - Jun 25 by Scotia

Sorry I don't really follow?

Conversely, I think it may be good for Swansea but potentially bad for the UK as a whole.

I'm only personally interested in Swansea because I'm fed up of the lack of investment and place it's become, I genuinely want what's best. This power station was an attempt to fool the local community to think it was beneficial when nobody really knew. It was a massive gamble. Go and gamble somewhere else.

I just meant I wouldn’t use terms like ‘glorious’ or ‘get out and enjoy it’ to describe the proposed location. Other parts of the coastline in and around Swansea, absolutely, but not there.

I’m only really interested in Swansea too. I think it would have been a great boost to the local economy. May well be wrong of course and you’re right, it would have been a leap of faith.
Lagoon officially binned on 22:51 - Jun 25 with 2326 viewsBadlands

Get used to it - Cameron and May Governments have $hit all over Swansea.
They didn't want the Steel Works to survive (conveniently EU got the blame).
They promised then reneged on electrification of the rail network to Swansea.
The Swansea's £1.3 billion City Deal covers Swansea AND Neath & Port Talbot, Carmarthenshire and Pembrokeshire. About 1/5 will come to the old West Glamorgan.
Now the refuel to fund a world first and long term green power generating project that would bring jobs and leisure facilities to our doorstep. (I suppose I'll still enjoy the vista o mud flats as I drive at reduced speeds on what id jokingly referred to as a motorway.
And people are creaming themselves over he thought of Boris or Mogg taking even more away from us.
To add insult to ignominy the region votes to leave the EU despite being one of the most favourably supported regions in the project. Our Westminster Government keeps Wales in the same financial category as Romania and Bulgaria and West Wales is the poorest region in North Western Europe.

Poll: Should the summer transfer window close before the season starts?

Lagoon officially binned on 23:14 - Jun 25 with 2289 viewsHighjack

Lagoon officially binned on 21:47 - Jun 25 by exiledclaseboy

So who do you suggest us stupid donkeys vote for, oh wise one? The Tories hate us apparently and also as apparently Labour take us for granted. So should us donkeys vote Tory so they start liking us and maybe throw us a few more scraps? This would also of course have the added advantage of stopping labour talking us thick donkey voters for granted.

So everyone vote Tory so that labour starts being nicer to us. Winning plan.

Parties other than the tories are available

The creatures outside looked from pig to man, and from man to pig, and from pig to man again; but already it was impossible to say which was which.
Poll: Should Dippy Drakeford do us all a massive favour and just bog off?

Lagoon officially binned on 23:14 - Jun 25 with 2287 viewsTNT

Lagoon officially binned on 19:44 - Jun 25 by byron

Possibly league 1 football🤪😂

You and your mates would have been glad of that wall to cling to, when you were chased in to the sea, bron.

Poll: Would you make goalposts bigger?

Login to get fewer ads

Lagoon officially binned on 00:00 - Jun 26 with 2240 viewsdobjack2

Compost corner.

A bunch of chancers who don’t give a shite if the untried technology fecked up Swansea bay because they would have fecked off.

Says it all about this area- lap up all the crap that we get from the owners of the swans and then jump up and down about this.

Do some serious research of your own.

😡
Lagoon officially binned on 00:31 - Jun 26 with 2220 viewsJonathans_coat

Lagoon officially binned on 18:14 - Jun 25 by Jackfath

I wonder if we will get anything else instead?

Yeah we will.....................Contempt.
Lagoon officially binned on 06:51 - Jun 26 with 2139 viewsDr_Winston

Perhaps the craziest claim about this whole thing is that it would generate tourism. The belief that tens of thousands of people a year would travel miles to come and gawp at a big concrete wall in the sea is so tremendously stupid that the thickest MP ever to represent Swansea (Hi Carolyn!) happily repeated it on the news last night.

If there's £200m available from the WA to invest in schemes to generate tourism down here then there's much better things to spend it on.

Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair, or f*cking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.

Lagoon officially binned on 07:01 - Jun 26 with 2128 viewsjohnlangy

Lagoon officially binned on 22:27 - Jun 25 by BytholWyn

The passivity of the response on here is unsurprising, but still profoundly depressing. The lagoon was a real game changer for the Swansea and South-West Wales economy. The employment boost during the construction phase alone would have been hugely significant by itself, quite apart from the benefits of being at the heart of innovative technological developments - with all it's potential spin-offs. You only have to look at the dominant position the Danes have in the wind energy market - due to their early adoption of the technology - to see what has been lost.

One thing is abundantly clear, the Westminster government has proven yet again that it doesn't govern for the benefit of the UK as a whole. A government that was genuinely committed to the prosperity of the whole country it governs would prioritise development in those areas that would benefit the most. Instead we one massive infrastructure project after another for London and its environs, perpetuating its virtuous circle of prosperity, whilst the economy of Wales spirals further into a vortex of under-investment and despair. Theresa May's decision to scrap the electrification to Swansea tells you all about the attitude of the London parties to Wales.

And yet people still vote Tory and Labour (have a look at their manifesto at the last election and contrast their infrastructure commitments to England to those made to Wales). If you can't stomach voting Plaid, you'd be better off putting a cross against a scribbled in I Luv Swansea party than endorsing the usual suspects to shaft us time and time again...

Meanwhile, on the same day, Westminster gives the go ahead to Heathrow expansion which will cost Wales about £2 billion because it's a UK investment which will benefit the whole of the country.

So that's okay then. I look forward to the huge boost to the Swansea economy as a result.
Lagoon officially binned on 07:15 - Jun 26 with 2121 viewsbyron

Lagoon officially binned on 23:14 - Jun 25 by TNT

You and your mates would have been glad of that wall to cling to, when you were chased in to the sea, bron.

Oh yeah, 30 years ago is it, a nice swim around the lagoon, probably build it here now, between us and Bristol. Might aswell build a wall around Swansea town eh,but then how would you all escaped when you were run of your own town after the fa cup game 27 years ago by 1000 Cardiff fans?
Anything else you want a mention a lifetime ago?

Benny

Lagoon officially binned on 08:07 - Jun 26 with 2096 viewsyescomeon

We're living in an ideological omnishambles. Whilst I had concerns regarding the potential effect on the bay it was worth the risk as it would have brought manufacturing jobs back to the area. Much needed ones too.

This government is turning its attention away from renewables and focusing on nuclear and fracking. It's so short sighted it's just not true. Fracking just isn't going to work on such a small, crowded island. Using the movement of the sea around this island makes far more sense.

We have world leading expertise in tidal energy in this country and 50% of the European tidal resource lies in UK waters (40% in Irish waters), yet we will no doubt wait for the French to come and develop the industry for us with all the manufacturing jobs based over there. Grumble grumble.

Upthecity!

Lagoon officially binned on 08:30 - Jun 26 with 2079 viewsbyron

Lagoon officially binned on 08:07 - Jun 26 by yescomeon

We're living in an ideological omnishambles. Whilst I had concerns regarding the potential effect on the bay it was worth the risk as it would have brought manufacturing jobs back to the area. Much needed ones too.

This government is turning its attention away from renewables and focusing on nuclear and fracking. It's so short sighted it's just not true. Fracking just isn't going to work on such a small, crowded island. Using the movement of the sea around this island makes far more sense.

We have world leading expertise in tidal energy in this country and 50% of the European tidal resource lies in UK waters (40% in Irish waters), yet we will no doubt wait for the French to come and develop the industry for us with all the manufacturing jobs based over there. Grumble grumble.

I always wondered why they don’t barrage the Severn estuary with its huge tides? 2nd in the world?
Be enough energy for wales and the west surely? Until some foreign co come in and do it and fleece us for years to come as usual.....

Benny

Lagoon officially binned on 09:04 - Jun 26 with 2043 viewsProfessor

Lagoon officially binned on 08:30 - Jun 26 by byron

I always wondered why they don’t barrage the Severn estuary with its huge tides? 2nd in the world?
Be enough energy for wales and the west surely? Until some foreign co come in and do it and fleece us for years to come as usual.....

There was a plan to do this I guess around 25 years ago which too was binned by a UK Conservative Government. Just built the bay barrage instead destroying ecologically important wetlands. Looks nice for the AMs in the Senedd though and for the mass of chain restaurants that inhabit Cardiff Bay.
Lagoon officially binned on 09:07 - Jun 26 with 2037 viewsProfessor

My take on this is that it was an important project that would have shown if tidal power is feasible on a large scale. Long term this may be an important renewable energy source. Instead investment goes into another runway for pollution at Heathrow. Again, you have been let down by local and national government. Swansea needs local leadership that pushes it forward onto the main stage. Clearly this is not happening yet.
Lagoon officially binned on 09:41 - Jun 26 with 2006 viewsBatterseajack

Lagoon officially binned on 23:14 - Jun 25 by Highjack

Parties other than the tories are available

You missed your cue Trampy
Lagoon officially binned on 10:23 - Jun 26 with 1973 viewsLeonWasGod

Lagoon officially binned on 09:07 - Jun 26 by Professor

My take on this is that it was an important project that would have shown if tidal power is feasible on a large scale. Long term this may be an important renewable energy source. Instead investment goes into another runway for pollution at Heathrow. Again, you have been let down by local and national government. Swansea needs local leadership that pushes it forward onto the main stage. Clearly this is not happening yet.

Indeed. We've (the UK) have got the sea and we've got the technological experience. It's an absolute no brainer as long as we can find a sensible economic model.
Lagoon officially binned on 10:29 - Jun 26 with 1966 viewsyescomeon

Lagoon officially binned on 08:30 - Jun 26 by byron

A barrage has enormous ecological consequences. As Professor mentioned the important wetlands would be heavily impacted for one. This is why the project was taking place in Swansea bay rather than Cardiff bay, as there are much higher environmental protections for Cardiff bay. Second, the tides themselves would be massively altered by such a barrage, with the tides changing as far away as Belgium. Lord knows what that means for coastlines around the Celtic Sea, Irish Sea and English Channel.

Large scale tidal power is already proven technology with the La Rance power station in France operating since 1966 and the Shiwa power station in South Korea built in 2011. Both these power stations are tidal barrages and on a much smaller scale that a proposed Severn barrage. Those two are around the 250MW ballpark, the proposed Severn barrages ranged from 1GW to 15GW. For context the Wylfa nuclear power station is around 2.7GW. The lagoon was rated around 320MW with a potentially much smaller environmental footprint. Technology-wise there's very little risk, we've been building breakwaters since god knows when and we've been generating power from hydro and tidal for decades too. The economics and the ecological footprint are the unknowns.

Upthecity!

Lagoon officially binned on 10:32 - Jun 26 with 1961 viewsBarrySwan

Lagoon officially binned on 22:51 - Jun 25 by Badlands

Get used to it - Cameron and May Governments have $hit all over Swansea.
They didn't want the Steel Works to survive (conveniently EU got the blame).
They promised then reneged on electrification of the rail network to Swansea.
The Swansea's £1.3 billion City Deal covers Swansea AND Neath & Port Talbot, Carmarthenshire and Pembrokeshire. About 1/5 will come to the old West Glamorgan.
Now the refuel to fund a world first and long term green power generating project that would bring jobs and leisure facilities to our doorstep. (I suppose I'll still enjoy the vista o mud flats as I drive at reduced speeds on what id jokingly referred to as a motorway.
And people are creaming themselves over he thought of Boris or Mogg taking even more away from us.
To add insult to ignominy the region votes to leave the EU despite being one of the most favourably supported regions in the project. Our Westminster Government keeps Wales in the same financial category as Romania and Bulgaria and West Wales is the poorest region in North Western Europe.

So basically whether it makes economic or environmental sense or not you demand that a new power generating plant / lagoon must be built come what may because you demand it?

And you've clearly forgotten of course thats it's the disaster thats the Labour party which has largly run Wales for the last 20 years with a budget per head that outstrips that given to people living in England.

About time the victimhood syndrome whining ended and Wales got off it's backside and got going without the good citizens of Planet Swans moaning right left and centre about all and sundry and how hard done they are. The City deals are a bit of a con all round and the deal for the Cardiff city region which comprises of 10 councils in the South East of Wales differes very little from the City deal proposals eleswhere round the country including Swansea.

The region of Wales didn't vote for Brexit...the majority of the people of Wales voted for Brexit..tough luck get over it, it's a little thing called democracy whether you like the result or not, stop whining like a five year old told they can't have a chocolate bar at the supermarket checkout.

And I've no time for the Tories either but to suggest that the inept, incompetent Labour party who have run Wales into the ground are any better is absolute nonsense.
[Post edited 26 Jun 2018 10:38]
Lagoon officially binned on 10:37 - Jun 26 with 1954 viewsLord_Bony

Plans for the £1.3bn Swansea Bay Tidal Lagoon project have been scrapped after the government confirmed it was not willing to support the scheme.

"Energy secretary Greg Clark revealed the government would not provide funds for Tidal Lagoon Power’s Swansea Bay scheme or its five other planned tidal projects, due to concerns over value for money.

Speaking in the Commons today, Mr Clark said: “The conclusion of our analysis is the project and programme of the tidal lagoons planned do not meet the requirements for value for money, and so it would not be appropriate to lead the company to believe that public funds could be justified.”

The £1.3bn Swansea Bay project was given the planning green light three years ago by the then energy secretary Amber Rudd, but Tidal Lagoon Power (TLP) has been unable to agree a strike price — the money the government pays for each unit — since then.

Mr Clark said it would be “irresponsible” for the government to enter a contract with TLP over schemes which he claimed would cost taxpayers and consumers more than other low-carbon energy sources, such as offshore wind and nuclear."

PROUD RECIPIENT OF THE THIRD PLANET SWANS LIFETIME ACHIEVEMENT AWARD. "Per ardua ad astra"
Poll: iS tHERE lIFE aFTER dEATH

Lagoon officially binned on 11:24 - Jun 26 with 1922 viewsBadlands

Lagoon officially binned on 10:32 - Jun 26 by BarrySwan

So basically whether it makes economic or environmental sense or not you demand that a new power generating plant / lagoon must be built come what may because you demand it?

And you've clearly forgotten of course thats it's the disaster thats the Labour party which has largly run Wales for the last 20 years with a budget per head that outstrips that given to people living in England.

About time the victimhood syndrome whining ended and Wales got off it's backside and got going without the good citizens of Planet Swans moaning right left and centre about all and sundry and how hard done they are. The City deals are a bit of a con all round and the deal for the Cardiff city region which comprises of 10 councils in the South East of Wales differes very little from the City deal proposals eleswhere round the country including Swansea.

The region of Wales didn't vote for Brexit...the majority of the people of Wales voted for Brexit..tough luck get over it, it's a little thing called democracy whether you like the result or not, stop whining like a five year old told they can't have a chocolate bar at the supermarket checkout.

And I've no time for the Tories either but to suggest that the inept, incompetent Labour party who have run Wales into the ground are any better is absolute nonsense.
[Post edited 26 Jun 2018 10:38]

It did make economic sense.
Had an incredibly small affect on current environment of the area but offered the creation of another.
Who mentioned the Labour Party?
Democracy isn't worth the name if votes are won on lies and deceit and the electorate rigged.
As for getting over it and whining!!! We've had 40 years of that from every right wing news agency and wannabe Americans.
Nor does democracy mean never changing a decision - we voted ourselves in to Europe so by your argument we should never have been allowed a referendum on leaving (advisory , very narrow outcome and it is now clear made Nig€l £arage's mates a shed load of money).

Poll: Should the summer transfer window close before the season starts?

Lagoon officially binned on 16:16 - Jun 26 with 1822 viewsBarrySwan

Lagoon officially binned on 11:24 - Jun 26 by Badlands

It did make economic sense.
Had an incredibly small affect on current environment of the area but offered the creation of another.
Who mentioned the Labour Party?
Democracy isn't worth the name if votes are won on lies and deceit and the electorate rigged.
As for getting over it and whining!!! We've had 40 years of that from every right wing news agency and wannabe Americans.
Nor does democracy mean never changing a decision - we voted ourselves in to Europe so by your argument we should never have been allowed a referendum on leaving (advisory , very narrow outcome and it is now clear made Nig€l £arage's mates a shed load of money).

Emergency budget

800,000 extra unemployed almost immediately

House price crash

No inward investment

Health serrvice collapse

blah blah blah blah

Are these the lies that you are on about?

As I've stated before....I demand another referendum for all the crying 10 year old 'my future has been stolen' rewhingers such as yourself

We had to wait 43 years for the last one after being lied to at the time of entry ( where of course we didn't even get a vote ) and I demand that you get another one in another 41 years time.

See how fast two years has passed? You're well on the way to another one in 41 years time now!
Don't give up hope just call Anna Sourbry and cry yourselves to sleep each night together, the time will soon go.
Lagoon officially binned on 16:29 - Jun 26 with 1813 viewsbyron

Lagoon officially binned on 10:29 - Jun 26 by yescomeon

A barrage has enormous ecological consequences. As Professor mentioned the important wetlands would be heavily impacted for one. This is why the project was taking place in Swansea bay rather than Cardiff bay, as there are much higher environmental protections for Cardiff bay. Second, the tides themselves would be massively altered by such a barrage, with the tides changing as far away as Belgium. Lord knows what that means for coastlines around the Celtic Sea, Irish Sea and English Channel.

Large scale tidal power is already proven technology with the La Rance power station in France operating since 1966 and the Shiwa power station in South Korea built in 2011. Both these power stations are tidal barrages and on a much smaller scale that a proposed Severn barrage. Those two are around the 250MW ballpark, the proposed Severn barrages ranged from 1GW to 15GW. For context the Wylfa nuclear power station is around 2.7GW. The lagoon was rated around 320MW with a potentially much smaller environmental footprint. Technology-wise there's very little risk, we've been building breakwaters since god knows when and we've been generating power from hydro and tidal for decades too. The economics and the ecological footprint are the unknowns.

How does it affect tides, estuaries, coasts as far away as Belgium? I don’t know much about this stuff but that surprises me.....

Benny

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024