Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Lagoon officially binned 18:09 - Jun 25 with 13654 viewsJonathans_coat

Well there’s another kick in the nads for Swansea. Another broken manifesto promise. Just waiting for them to pull out of the “city deal” now. They’ll announce the cull of the firstborn next week, just after the plague of locusts they’ve got planned!

By the way, waiting until the day of the Heathrow 3rd runway debate, to try to bury it under “bigger news” is so brazen it’s f*****g disgraceful. Shows exactly what they think of us.
Lagoon officially binned on 16:47 - Jun 26 with 2367 viewsDwightYorkeSuperstar

Excellent news. If the Welsh government had £200m spare to blow on this, how about they put it towards other projects in Swansea instead.
[Post edited 26 Jun 2018 16:47]

Poll: Should MP for Swansea East Carolyn Harris resign?

Lagoon officially binned on 16:51 - Jun 26 with 2356 viewsbyron

Lagoon officially binned on 16:47 - Jun 26 by DwightYorkeSuperstar

Excellent news. If the Welsh government had £200m spare to blow on this, how about they put it towards other projects in Swansea instead.

King huw could do with a few extra bob I heard to finish off his house

Benny

Lagoon officially binned on 17:18 - Jun 26 with 2327 viewsyescomeon

Lagoon officially binned on 16:29 - Jun 26 by byron

How does it affect tides, estuaries, coasts as far away as Belgium? I don’t know much about this stuff but that surprises me.....

I should add not by much that far out. The tides are abnormally large around the UK. Out in the Ocean you're probably only looking at tides of 10s of cm. As they move into coastal waters, if the shape of the coastline, or the shape of the sea bed is just right, as it is around the UK, and in particular in the Bristol Channel, then the tides are amplified. Up to 10s metres in the Bristol Channel. Building a massive sea-wall across the middle of the Bristol Channel is like changing the very shape of the coast. That can have quite profound consequences for the nature of the tides.

Upthecity!

Lagoon officially binned on 17:41 - Jun 26 with 2308 viewsyescomeon

Lagoon officially binned on 16:29 - Jun 26 by byron

How does it affect tides, estuaries, coasts as far away as Belgium? I don’t know much about this stuff but that surprises me.....

I'm going to backtrack on the Belgium claim as I can't find where it was I read that.

In some of what I've read trying to find the source of my claim the largest scale simulation I've come across shows changes to the tidal amplitude of ~5-10 cm across much of the Welsh coast, Morcambe Bay, Solway Firth and southeast Wexford coast. That's for the 8GW Severn Barrage. A larger effect might be expected for 16GW outer Severn barrage but I'm just guessing there until I can find where I read that (unless I dreamt it of course :)).

Upthecity!

Lagoon officially binned on 18:05 - Jun 26 with 2294 viewsTNT

Lagoon officially binned on 07:15 - Jun 26 by byron

Oh yeah, 30 years ago is it, a nice swim around the lagoon, probably build it here now, between us and Bristol. Might aswell build a wall around Swansea town eh,but then how would you all escaped when you were run of your own town after the fa cup game 27 years ago by 1000 Cardiff fans?
Anything else you want a mention a lifetime ago?

Wwwww, touched a nerve.

As you're asking, I was going to mention winning domestic Cup Finals...
... but yours was more than a lifetime ago.

Keep trying to catch us up, bron, you've only got seven seasons in the PL to go, to do so.

Poll: Would you make goalposts bigger?

Lagoon officially binned on 19:38 - Jun 26 with 2262 viewsbyron

Lagoon officially binned on 18:05 - Jun 26 by TNT

Wwwww, touched a nerve.

As you're asking, I was going to mention winning domestic Cup Finals...
... but yours was more than a lifetime ago.

Keep trying to catch us up, bron, you've only got seven seasons in the PL to go, to do so.

Touched a nerve lol, a bizarre comment on a thread nothing to do with hooligans but on the continued downfall of the city you live in. Plain weird. You’d think you would be concerned more about the latest project not happening in Swansea town, but no, an incident 30 years ago that no one in Cardiff even knew about, or what you were on about for years and years. Big news out west I guess chasing some port talbot kids into the sea. ResUlt liKe

Benny

Lagoon officially binned on 19:51 - Jun 26 with 2250 viewsjack2jack

According to the news earlier, they suggested that 19 million has been spunked away already on the scheme.In loans etc
Also Carolyn Harris MP or whatever reckons the Council is committed to getting the scheme up and running.With what!
Let's move on, and waste no more time and effort on this white elephant is it.
Lagoon officially binned on 20:07 - Jun 26 with 2231 viewsLord_Bony

To think what they could have spent that money on in the Swansea region is heartbreaking

I dread to think what the cost was of all those meetings and lunches with the big wigs they should have had the government think tank and a meeting with the locals instead

PROUD RECIPIENT OF THE THIRD PLANET SWANS LIFETIME ACHIEVEMENT AWARD. "Per ardua ad astra"
Poll: iS tHERE lIFE aFTER dEATH

Login to get fewer ads

Lagoon officially binned on 20:08 - Jun 26 with 2228 viewsJonathans_coat

Lagoon officially binned on 16:47 - Jun 26 by DwightYorkeSuperstar

As stated on rail electrification thread, any money saved by WAG or UK GOV will certainly NOT be spent in SW Wales will it? It’ll be spent on another huge development project for Cardiff or London that will “benefit the whole of Wales/UK”. They have already respectively trotted this f*****g odious line out for the S Wales metro and the 3rd runway at LHR. Utter disingenuous nonsense.
Lagoon officially binned on 22:11 - Jun 26 with 2174 viewsTNT

Lagoon officially binned on 16:51 - Jun 26 by byron

King huw could do with a few extra bob I heard to finish off his house

Yeah, stay on thread, bron.

Poll: Would you make goalposts bigger?

Lagoon officially binned on 22:17 - Jun 26 with 2168 viewsDr_Winston

The problem is that these utterly f*cking useless schemes get dangled in front of us and then whipped away to terrible outrage when the real questions are missed.

Electrification of the railway lines to Swansea would have been an inexcusable waste of money. Countless millions of pounds spent for no real difference in journey times when the real question is why it ended at Cardiff when Bristol would have made far more financial sense.

Likewise this Lagoon bollocks. The WAG can easily find a pretend £200m to support a scheme that realistically was never going to happen yet came up short when asked for a couple of million to finish the SA1 development. It's all smoke and mirrors.

Welsh Labour love shit like this. They can blame Westminster for "failing the Welsh people" when it's their own decisions that have left the rest of Wales withering on the Cardiff vine.

Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair, or f*cking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.

Lagoon officially binned on 13:09 - Jun 27 with 2040 viewsBytholWyn

Lagoon officially binned on 22:17 - Jun 26 by Dr_Winston

The problem is that these utterly f*cking useless schemes get dangled in front of us and then whipped away to terrible outrage when the real questions are missed.

Electrification of the railway lines to Swansea would have been an inexcusable waste of money. Countless millions of pounds spent for no real difference in journey times when the real question is why it ended at Cardiff when Bristol would have made far more financial sense.

Likewise this Lagoon bollocks. The WAG can easily find a pretend £200m to support a scheme that realistically was never going to happen yet came up short when asked for a couple of million to finish the SA1 development. It's all smoke and mirrors.

Welsh Labour love shit like this. They can blame Westminster for "failing the Welsh people" when it's their own decisions that have left the rest of Wales withering on the Cardiff vine.

I find this point of view pretty staggering. Let's take the worst case scenario with electrification and lagoon development. The worst case scenario in both cases would bring significant employment during the build phase, and clearly some long-term employment and economic benefits. In the worst case scenario electrification might bring a small economic dividend and the lagoon might have a costly over-run, and the tourism benefits might be minimal. Yet, even in this worst case scenario Swansea would be a net beneficiary - as the benefits would accrue locally whereas the costs would be disseminated across all tax-payers and energy consumers throughout the UK. So, for anybody with Swansea's best interests at heart to oppose both developments is incomprehensible.

As for the best case scenario, electrification (why not a high-speed link while we're at it?) and the lagoon could be just the shot in the arm that South-West Wales needs, and a catalyst for wider economic regeneration.

To argue, in effect, for no investment defies belief.
Lagoon officially binned on 16:21 - Jun 27 with 2010 viewsBadlands

Wholly political.
Talking to an old school mate who still works closely with the department for the environment and he and, most of his department see the decision as part of a movement to undermine the Welsh Government in order to keep the powers they now claim will be temporary after Brexit.
The Government of Wales had been promised the go ahead if they supported (or at least did not oppose) May's power grab. The Tory spin will now be that Cardiff Bay has 'once again' supported a 'white elephant' project and can't be trusted .. even though it is the Westminster government that has knocked the plan on the head.
Concessions were given to Cameron in the lead up to the electrification of the rail lines to Swansea. Project pulled and whispers are going around that the Landore development may well be mothballed.
At the next election the Tories will use these failed projects to attack Labour in the area.
The Conservatives are desperate to win Wales and take away even. more powers.

Poll: Should the summer transfer window close before the season starts?

Lagoon officially binned on 16:28 - Jun 27 with 2003 viewsWingstandwood

Letter in today's SWEP sort of says something? This is an opinion many of us have heard many times!

Titled: "STATE OF CITY IS SUCH A SHAME"

I moved to Australia in 1970 but visit Swansea regularly as I have family there. I recently spent a week in the city.
Every time I come to the area I see Swansea becoming more and more dilapidated.
What have you done to this city, because a city it is, as I recall.
For some of you who remember what it was like after the destruction of the war years you must be ashamed.
We built it back up to be a beautiful town, and then we made it a city.
Shame on whoever is to blame for allowing Swansea to become so dilapidated.

Shame

Maureen E Farnham
(nee Wise, old Mayhill girl)
Evanston Park, South
Australia

Argus!

Lagoon officially binned on 16:56 - Jun 27 with 1989 viewsDyfnant

It’d be interesting to know how much salary and expenses the self appointed CEO’s of these companies siphoned off.

Poll: How much will SCFC spend on transfer fees this summer

Lagoon officially binned on 17:07 - Jun 27 with 1984 viewsmoonie

It's not as it was forty years ago,trust me

So come on lifey and prosser ....slagging off Swansea so let them have it

Maybe voting Tory would be an idea because voting Labour clearly ain't smart ,certainly not fir Swansea ....and yep, the Tories do seem to hate Swansea .Cant say I blame them
Lagoon officially binned on 17:25 - Jun 27 with 1969 viewsKilkennyjack

Lagoon officially binned on 16:28 - Jun 27 by Wingstandwood

Letter in today's SWEP sort of says something? This is an opinion many of us have heard many times!

Titled: "STATE OF CITY IS SUCH A SHAME"

I moved to Australia in 1970 but visit Swansea regularly as I have family there. I recently spent a week in the city.
Every time I come to the area I see Swansea becoming more and more dilapidated.
What have you done to this city, because a city it is, as I recall.
For some of you who remember what it was like after the destruction of the war years you must be ashamed.
We built it back up to be a beautiful town, and then we made it a city.
Shame on whoever is to blame for allowing Swansea to become so dilapidated.

Shame

Maureen E Farnham
(nee Wise, old Mayhill girl)
Evanston Park, South
Australia

Dear Maureen,

You fecked off to Oz so you do not get a vote.
You have contributed feck all.

Dont forget the sun block.

Luv,
The people of Swansea

PS - you are right of course

Beware of the Risen People

Lagoon officially binned on 17:26 - Jun 27 with 1965 viewsKilkennyjack

Lagoon officially binned on 13:09 - Jun 27 by BytholWyn

I find this point of view pretty staggering. Let's take the worst case scenario with electrification and lagoon development. The worst case scenario in both cases would bring significant employment during the build phase, and clearly some long-term employment and economic benefits. In the worst case scenario electrification might bring a small economic dividend and the lagoon might have a costly over-run, and the tourism benefits might be minimal. Yet, even in this worst case scenario Swansea would be a net beneficiary - as the benefits would accrue locally whereas the costs would be disseminated across all tax-payers and energy consumers throughout the UK. So, for anybody with Swansea's best interests at heart to oppose both developments is incomprehensible.

As for the best case scenario, electrification (why not a high-speed link while we're at it?) and the lagoon could be just the shot in the arm that South-West Wales needs, and a catalyst for wider economic regeneration.

Excellent contribution.

Thanks for posting.

Beware of the Risen People

Lagoon officially binned on 19:29 - Jun 27 with 1934 viewsPrivate_Partz

Lagoon officially binned on 13:09 - Jun 27 by BytholWyn

Excellent post.
I read reasons on here to diss the electrification and the Lagoon that you do not find anywhere else. From Government or even Tw@tter.
These opinions are wasted on here. They should have let the Tories know. They would have had much less grief than they currently have if they had used the views expressed on here.
The official reasons for abandoning both are laughable.

You have mission in life to hold out your hand, To help the other guy out, Help your fellow man. Stan Ridgway

Lagoon officially binned on 19:56 - Jun 27 with 1921 viewstrampie

Continually being banned by Planet Swans for Porthcawl and then being reinstated.
Poll: UK European Union membership referendum poll

Lagoon officially binned on 19:59 - Jun 27 with 1918 viewstrampie

Labour back the Conservatives against Plaid yet again.

Continually being banned by Planet Swans for Porthcawl and then being reinstated.

Lagoon officially binned on 20:04 - Jun 27 with 1908 viewstrampie

Lagoon officially binned on 20:04 - Jun 27 with 1904 viewstrampie

Lagoon officially binned on 20:09 - Jun 27 with 1893 viewstrampie

Leanne spitting feathers about the lack of investment for Swansea, nice speech by Leanne.

Lagoon officially binned on 20:13 - Jun 27 with 1885 viewstrampie

Swansea's Dai Lloyd calls on the British State to do the right thing.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024