Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Rugby way ahead of football 20:51 - Jun 25 with 3382 viewsdickythorpe

This ref running to the monitor is nonsense!!! The ref should have contact through his mic and the big screen to look at.
Rugby way ahead of football on 21:15 - Jun 25 with 2408 viewsjack247

Riugby has had it for years. I’d guess it had teething problems at first? You do get some mental decisions and it does sometimes take them minutes to see something that’s obvious from one replay, it’s getting more right than wrong though and it’s only going to get better.
Rugby way ahead of football on 21:23 - Jun 25 with 2396 viewsdickythorpe

Rugby doesn't have refs running to touchlines.
How the feck did he award a penalty to Iran?
Rugby way ahead of football on 21:34 - Jun 25 with 2369 viewsjack247

Rugby way ahead of football on 21:23 - Jun 25 by dickythorpe

Rugby doesn't have refs running to touchlines.
How the feck did he award a penalty to Iran?

I agree it works better in rugby, they are 15 years into it. Football has only just started using it.

That was a terrible decision. It’s still down to human interpretation and in this case, he got it completely wrong. That happens in rugby as well.
Rugby way ahead of football on 21:53 - Jun 25 with 2334 viewsexiledclaseboy

Forget video refs, if we have to have VAR at all give the on pitch captain of each team one or two challenges per half (preferably one). If they’re that confident they’ve been wronged they can ask the ref to have a look. If the challenge is successful they keep it, if it’s not they lose it. There would be very few frivolous challenges, the ref’s opinion is still the final one and we wouldn’t have the current farcical situation of some ref sitting in a TV studio telling his mate on the pitch “umm... you might want to have another look at that one mush”. It’s a farce the way it is and the biggest football tournament on the planet isn’t the place to experiment.

Poll: Tory leader

Rugby way ahead of football on 21:56 - Jun 25 with 2323 viewstrampie

Yes I agree, rugby is way ahead of football.

Continually being banned by Planet Swans for Porthcawl and then being reinstated.
Poll: UK European Union membership referendum poll

Rugby way ahead of football on 22:00 - Jun 25 with 2309 viewsLandore_Jack

Rugby way ahead of football on 21:34 - Jun 25 by jack247

I agree it works better in rugby, they are 15 years into it. Football has only just started using it.

That was a terrible decision. It’s still down to human interpretation and in this case, he got it completely wrong. That happens in rugby as well.

Why did VAR ask him to review the incident? Was it because they did not agree with his decision? I have seen games where VAR has checked incidents and agreed with the ref in not giving a penalty.

#backtojack

Rugby way ahead of football on 22:07 - Jun 25 with 2270 viewstrampie

What I seen of Iran v Portugal I thought the ref did well.

Continually being banned by Planet Swans for Porthcawl and then being reinstated.

Rugby way ahead of football on 22:11 - Jun 25 with 2258 viewsjack247

Rugby way ahead of football on 21:53 - Jun 25 by exiledclaseboy

Forget video refs, if we have to have VAR at all give the on pitch captain of each team one or two challenges per half (preferably one). If they’re that confident they’ve been wronged they can ask the ref to have a look. If the challenge is successful they keep it, if it’s not they lose it. There would be very few frivolous challenges, the ref’s opinion is still the final one and we wouldn’t have the current farcical situation of some ref sitting in a TV studio telling his mate on the pitch “umm... you might want to have another look at that one mush”. It’s a farce the way it is and the biggest football tournament on the planet isn’t the place to experiment.

The problem seems to me that it’s so new no one really knows what to do. I agree the World Cup isn’t a great place for a system that’s barely been used.

I think the rules themselves are fine, maybe need tweaking so the ref doesn’t get to go over to the touch line and act as VAR himself. Not convinced on the challenge idea at all. It works in tennis because there is no room for interpretation. Would be very harsh if Portugal had challenged an incorrect penalty, got overruled and then lost their right to appeal something else.
Login to get fewer ads

Rugby way ahead of football on 22:27 - Jun 25 with 2218 viewsexiledclaseboy

Rugby way ahead of football on 22:11 - Jun 25 by jack247

The problem seems to me that it’s so new no one really knows what to do. I agree the World Cup isn’t a great place for a system that’s barely been used.

I think the rules themselves are fine, maybe need tweaking so the ref doesn’t get to go over to the touch line and act as VAR himself. Not convinced on the challenge idea at all. It works in tennis because there is no room for interpretation. Would be very harsh if Portugal had challenged an incorrect penalty, got overruled and then lost their right to appeal something else.

For me, refs getting things wrong (and right) is part of why we love the game. The challenge system (used in a number of other sports, not just tennis) would give teams the chance to correct decisions that they feel have been wrong while still having the spontaneity and controversy that has always been part of the game.

Poll: Tory leader

Rugby way ahead of football on 22:39 - Jun 25 with 2186 viewsjack247

Rugby way ahead of football on 22:27 - Jun 25 by exiledclaseboy

For me, refs getting things wrong (and right) is part of why we love the game. The challenge system (used in a number of other sports, not just tennis) would give teams the chance to correct decisions that they feel have been wrong while still having the spontaneity and controversy that has always been part of the game.

I’d prefer we got decisions right. If refs getting things wrong sometimes is good for the game, then we don’t need any kind of VAR.

The current system isn’t foolproof, it’s down to human interpretation, they are just far more likely to get it right with replays. One big decision was wrong tonight. Hopefully it will streamline as the sport gets used to it.
Rugby way ahead of football on 22:41 - Jun 25 with 2180 viewsScottishEddie

100% The last thing I want is football ending up like the egg chase!

Poll: Stupidest Posterer of the Year

Rugby way ahead of football on 22:43 - Jun 25 with 2174 viewsScottishEddie

Why do you think football has more viewers than rugby?

Rugby way ahead of football on 22:45 - Jun 25 with 2169 viewsjack247

Rugby way ahead of football on 22:43 - Jun 25 by ScottishEddie

Why do you think football has more viewers than rugby?

Because it’s a global game that’s been part of many cultures for 100 years or so, it’s far better marketed and in my view, it’s a better game.

It’s not because rugby uses VAR.
Rugby way ahead of football on 22:49 - Jun 25 with 2149 viewsmax936

Rugby way ahead of football on 21:15 - Jun 25 by jack247

Riugby has had it for years. I’d guess it had teething problems at first? You do get some mental decisions and it does sometimes take them minutes to see something that’s obvious from one replay, it’s getting more right than wrong though and it’s only going to get better.

There where two penalties today that were clearly ball to hand and both got given fuking madness, fuk VAR.

Just how Pique wasn't sent off I don't know, that was a red all day.

Poll: Will it Snow this coming Winter

Rugby way ahead of football on 22:50 - Jun 25 with 2142 viewsScottishEddie

Rugby way ahead of football on 22:45 - Jun 25 by jack247

Because it’s a global game that’s been part of many cultures for 100 years or so, it’s far better marketed and in my view, it’s a better game.

It’s not because rugby uses VAR.

So Dugby is better, VAR has been cringeworthy in this world cup

Rugby way ahead of football on 22:51 - Jun 25 with 2139 viewsmax936

Rugby way ahead of football on 21:53 - Jun 25 by exiledclaseboy

Spot on.

Rugby way ahead of football on 22:54 - Jun 25 with 2123 viewsBadlands

Different animal.
VAR in WC has multiple screens and a team to pick up what the ref has missed.
But the ref has to make the decision.
In Rugby the ref has to call for assistance or agree to review a call from the technical team.
Where it is used routinely it works well.
Like anything, people who don't like it will find excuses and whine on until they get rid of it.
I sometimes wonder how we got out of the mud huts.
(Sorry - in a bad mood tonight.)

Poll: Should the summer transfer window close before the season starts?

Rugby way ahead of football on 22:56 - Jun 25 with 2119 viewsmax936

Rugby way ahead of football on 22:39 - Jun 25 by jack247

I’d prefer we got decisions right. If refs getting things wrong sometimes is good for the game, then we don’t need any kind of VAR.

The current system isn’t foolproof, it’s down to human interpretation, they are just far more likely to get it right with replays. One big decision was wrong tonight. Hopefully it will streamline as the sport gets used to it.

3 decisions were wrong today, both the penalties I've mentioned and the Pique decision that should have gone to Var but miraculously didn't.

Rugby way ahead of football on 23:15 - Jun 25 with 2089 viewsjack247

Rugby way ahead of football on 22:56 - Jun 25 by max936

3 decisions were wrong today, both the penalties I've mentioned and the Pique decision that should have gone to Var but miraculously didn't.

But all those decisions are wrong without VAR, ok the Iran penalty would have been right, but the Spain goal would have been ruled out. Imagine that penalty happening early in the game, still being given and the team having no challenges left.

We’re a week and a half into the World Cup, it’s been called upon in most games (I’d imagine) and only now is it getting slated, mainly because the guy operating it had a brain fart and gave a bad penalty.

I think we should be copying the rugby model to be honest
Rugby way ahead of football on 23:40 - Jun 25 with 2064 viewsBrynCartwright

Why FIFA is not using the Rugby model for VAR is beyond me. The ref running to watch the sidelines to watch the review? No audio for fans to understand what is being discussed and decided upon? Typical FIFA ineptitude. It's almost as if footie referees are too shy, or arrogant, that they do not want their speech available for everyone to hear.

However, VAR so far has helped to produce some good decisions in this World Cup and I am still glad it has been introduced ( but it needs to be perfected).

Poll: Artificial Crowd Noise for Premier League and Champiionship Games is...

Rugby way ahead of football on 06:29 - Jun 26 with 1949 viewsmike1

I think VAR is a good thing for soccer but it is not being overseen properly. As previously mentioned it has been in place for rugby for years. Knowing it was coming was anyone seconded to see how it was administered and handle? I bet not. Yes we had teething problems but with it at a more advanced stage soccer could have entered at a higher level. At the end of the day it is being used because of all the diving and cheating going on in the game. It should be used retrospectively to punish the divers I feel embarrassed watching adults rolling in agony when the slo mo shows no contact.
Rugby way ahead of football on 07:27 - Jun 26 with 1911 viewsJango

VAR wasn’t the issue last night, it was the fact the officials were way out of their depth. Why are there officials from Bahrain there but none from Britain?
Rugby way ahead of football on 09:25 - Jun 26 with 1850 viewstrampie

Rugby way ahead of football on 07:27 - Jun 26 by Jango

VAR wasn’t the issue last night, it was the fact the officials were way out of their depth. Why are there officials from Bahrain there but none from Britain?

Well they should not have any from England as they are hopeless.

Rugby way ahead of football on 09:25 - Jun 26 with 1850 viewsMrSwerve

Do you really think that these thick football players would abide by a challenge system?

They'd be surrounding the ref regardless. FIFA/UEFA won't have the balls to go on a yellow/red card spree for offenders.

Poll: Decision day - who wins the PL title?

Rugby way ahead of football on 09:51 - Jun 26 with 1827 viewsdickythorpe

British refs are not wanted. Biased beyond and afraid if media criticism.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024